• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

You get what you pay for!

Corey

God told Adam," I'm going to make you a helper. She'll be submissive, always agree, never complain, bring your drink so you don't miss a play, keep the house clean, always have dinner waiting for you on those long hard days, and even take out the trash for you. Adam replied, "How much will it cost me?" God said, "An arm and a leg." Adam replied. "What can I get for a rib?" LOL! You know the old saying, You get what you pay for! No, seriously guys, if you want more from your wives, invest more in your wives.

Thank you Corey!

I believe that not only do you get what you pay for but it will be returned to you 10 fold! I've been married for almost 12 years and My hubby and I struggled for sometime with who did what because we both worked.

Now I will be 100% honest here... I LOATHE doing the laundry! LOL I don't know why but I do. But you know what... He takes out the trash and vacuums the floors for me so I keep the laundry done! :) It works itself out.

I know that this sounds very trite, but it is very true...the more you give, the more you get. In a God-honoring marriage, if one spouse continues to give in love, the other spouse will see that love and desire to give back as best they can, thus thepettiness of who has to do what tends to work itself out through loving one another enough to try and meet the needs of each spouse.

A long time ago, a pastor I knew said something that I thought was quite profound, " A christian can never be taken advantage of." I've thought of those words many, many times when I was steaming mad that my husband wasn't "doing his fair share", and the truth of those words made me realize that God will work out all of the details if we just give him a willing heart.

BTW: the easiest solution for division of labor is to have lots of children!!!

Katie

Ummm She did that untill we were married, lol. After we were married she was like "Ok your turn".lol
Corey said:
God told Adam," I'm going to make you a helper. She'll be submissive, always agree, never complain, bring your drink so you don't miss a play, keep the house clean, always have dinner waiting for you on those long hard days, and even take out the trash for you. Adam replied, "How much will it cost me?" God said, "An arm and a leg." Adam replied. "What can I get for a rib?" LOL! You know the old saying, You get what you pay for! No, seriously guys, if you want more from your wives, invest more in your wives.

deut30 said:
I know that this sounds very trite, but it is very true...the more you give, the more you get. In a God-honoring marriage, if one spouse continues to give in love, the other spouse will see that love and desire to give back as best they can, thus thepettiness of who has to do what tends to work itself out through loving one another enough to try and meet the needs of each spouse.

A long time ago, a pastor I knew said something that I thought was quite profound, " A christian can never be taken advantage of." I've thought of those words many, many times when I was steaming mad that my husband wasn't "doing his fair share", and the truth of those words made me realize that God will work out all of the details if we just give him a willing heart.

BTW: the easiest solution for division of labor is to have lots of children!!!

Katie
I love the part about how a christian can never be taken advantage of. Marriage can be seen as a giving machine, where two or more compete to see who can do the best job of loving, not who can get the most from the others.

deut30 said:
... quite profound, " A christian can never be taken advantage of."

*scratching head* At first, as I read this, I thought it so profound that I reached for my pad of sticky notes to write it out and post it on my wall. But ... is it true?

If so, then why are we told not to cast our pearls before swine? I see the sense in the idea that we should be waaaay more giving than we are, men and women both. And not so quick to feel taken advantage of.

Yet it still feels profound and mostly right. Hmmm.

I guess how I took this was:

If you are doing what you know the Lord wants you to do and are doing it for His glory, then it doesn't really matter if it SEEMS like someone is taking advantage of you, or unjustly gaining from your actions. What matters is that you are doing exactly what the Lord would have you to do, because our actions are ultimately done for our Heavenly Father, not those here on earth who may or may not benefit.

Does that make one lick of sense?

deut30 said:
Does that make one lick of sense?

Yup. Just finished reading Dog the Bounty Hunter's new book, "Where Mercy Is Shown, Mercy Is Given". He makes quite a case for always being willing to give folks another chance. Excellent.

In that way, the quote is undoubtedly correct.

Au contraire, moochers and con artists DO exist, who see folks with a giving mentality as nothing but marks. When one encounters someone who is clearly operating in that mode, it doesn't seem necessary to accommodate their aims.

"With the same measure you use... It will be measured back to you." Jesus

The way I see it, if you want a LOT of mercy, grace, compassion, love, etc. from others (especially your family) measure it out big time.

The more I serve my wives, the more they try to bless me.

The more they bless me... the more I want to serve them.

"Husbands, love your wives as Christ loves the church and gave Himself for her."

moochers and con artists DO exist, who see folks with a giving mentality as nothing but marks.

My daddy told me way back when, that the con artist depends on the mark's greed to make his play. If you've died to greed, they can never take advantage of you. Sometimes all the greed is, is a desire to feel like we've done good for someone - to get that pat on the back even if we have to give it to ourselves. ANYTIME we do something for some reason oth3er than the Glory of GOD, we risk serving another master. If we do give to someone because it is a blessing to be able to, and the recipient turns out to be 'working the system, God will deal with them while recognizing the intent of our hearts.

Back