• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Your thoughts about Harry Potter!

Rose of Sharon

Real Person
Female
Okay! I am just wondering what your opinions are on Harry Potter. Everyone makes a deal out of it by buying the books, movies, and so on. I also saw today a Christian friend of mine posting a picture of her children with a Harry Potter advent calendar. Now I have never watched the movies, read the books or allowed my children near Harry Potter. I became irate when my sister in law knew that I do not allow this around my children and forced them to watch the movies. We do not get along and I felt this was one of her ways to disrespect me. I believe that these movies are solely witchcraft and evil. Do you watch these and should Christians be into Harry Potter? Am I overreacting with this?

That's incredibly rude and disrespectful of your sister in law to do that. What did your husband think?

We don't have Harry Potter in the house and would not be comfortable with the children watching or reading it. I've told them they can choose to do that if they wish when they're grown and out of our home.

Of course they're solely witchcraft and evil, that's exactly what they're trying to represent. They're well written books with humour and an interesting plot line, and for some reason people think that means that they're OK for anyone to read.

Halloween is also solely witchcraft and evil, but how many Christians do you see participating in that? It's nuts.

That's incredibly rude and disrespectful of your sister in law to do that. What did your husband think?

We don't have Harry Potter in the house and would not be comfortable with the children watching or reading it. I've told them they can choose to do that if they wish when they're grown and out of our home.

Of course they're solely witchcraft and evil, that's exactly what they're trying to represent. They're well written books with humour and an interesting plot line, and for some reason people think that means that they're OK for anyone to read.

Halloween is also solely witchcraft and evil, but how many Christians do you see participating in that? It's nuts.
Yes, it was very rude and disrespectful. She is known for this behaviour among other things and because of this, husband and I no longer have contact with his sister. Thank you for answering. I have always felt this way about Harry Potter. My children can also make the decisions when they are older but I don't allow it in my home. And yes, even at Halloween, sad to say, Christians participate in it. I have never took my children trick or treating and don't plan on it.

I agree about Halloween as well

I read all of the original series in order to get an informed opinion.
Conclusion: It is a way to soft-pedal witchcraft to the unsuspecting. It draws them in with positive emotions, presenting spiritual ways to solve problems that seem so reasonable and enticing.

Neither hubby or I ever celebrated halloween...and we don't do halloween, harry potter or even lord of the rings. Once they are older if they want to check it out to form their own opinion that is ok.

I read the entire trilogy of lord of the rings. I didn't like the other-worldly element, or the way darkness was presented as so powerful (I have the same gripe with star wars).
I'd rather think about and contemplate a million other things that build my faith and make me happy.

Conclusion: It is a way to soft-pedal witchcraft to the unsuspecting.

This is an interesting thought. I now see the generation that grew up reading these books and watching the movies are now the ones into paganism, witchcraft, and other new age mysticism. Just as the Word of God is compared to a seed in the parable of the sower, I wonder has the enemy tapped into the same principles and we are now seeing the fruit?

I read all of the original series in order to get an informed opinion.
Conclusion: It is a way to soft-pedal witchcraft to the unsuspecting. It draws them in with positive emotions, presenting spiritual ways to solve problems that seem so reasonable and enticing.
Soft pedal witchcraft. That comment hits the nail on the head.

I have not read any of the Lord of the Rings books but my husband and daughter of 22 likes the movies. Husband actually bought the series but I personally have not seen them. I will glance at it walking room to room but never sit to watch them. What I find truly sad is walking into a book store to find books for my 12 yr old and mostly everything is vampires, werewolves, or the occult. Even my 22 yr old mentioned that it is hard for her to find books these days.

We have neighbors that pay a kinesiologist to help them diagnose health challenges. Then they do things like get goat milk to soak their daughter's heel in, or do a walk through on our place while on the phone with the "Dr?" They concluded that what was making them sick and unable to be outside on the side of their house closest to us was a unused vent that used to be hooked up to a gass water heater. Once we gave the vent an aluminum foil hat, (I kid you not...we capped it) then things got better at their house. These folks are professing Christians that attend a church. I grew up with family that blurred that line too.
This sort of thing is a poor witness.

We try and stick with common sense and scripture.

If there is no biblical example, and it defies logic, it is a belief in some other god in my opinion .....or at least some other power....same difference.

Too many biblical terms are not defined. How many Christians know what ba'al worship was....to know if there even is a modern equivalent?

Ted Weiland did an audio sermon titled something like 'Could you be a disciple of baal and not realize it?" This helps shed light on what that was....and IS!

That is the kind of info that frees us from false beliefs. ...and bondage to other "gods" and religious systems.....and superstitions.

Last edited:
Even my 22 yr old mentioned that it is hard for her to find books these days.
We sometimes like a Louis L'Amour western....and The Ranger's Apprentice and The Brotherband Chronicles are mighty good adventures too! Only a little "other world" stuff in the first volume of Ranger's Apprentice, a 12 book best selling series.
We also love James Heriot's books....even more because he lived those stories!
Another author we enjoy is Ben Green. He wrote about his experiences tradin' horses back when everyone used them.

The little house books, and a little princess were books I liked as a child....and love as a mom.

If you want something that inspires try reading something from the mind of a man who dared to criticize the government. "No Treason" illuminates the perspective of an 18th century lawyer who loved truth and liberty! Lysander Spooner! That is some seriously good stuff! Heavy....but it lightens my heart and I am encouraged by the knowledge that some men embrace truth and affirm righteousness. It also shows how far we have come....and might help us draw lines where they should be.....or find our way back to true freedom. One can hope.

Bootleg. Currently reading it with my boys, it's about two kids living in a country where the "Good For You" party won the election and has decided to ban all chocolate. The kids decide to fight back by producing and selling illegal chocolate. It's incredibly realistic (based on alcohol prohibition but relevant to so much more), hilarious, and inspires a lot of discussions about politics and morality.

This is an interesting thought. I now see the generation that grew up reading these books and watching the movies are now the ones into paganism, witchcraft, and other new age mysticism. Just as the Word of God is compared to a seed in the parable of the sower, I wonder has the enemy tapped into the same principles and we are now seeing the fruit?[/QUO
We sometimes like a Louis L'Amour western....and The Ranger's Apprentice and The Brotherband Chronicles are mighty good adventures too! Only a little "other world" stuff in the first volume of Ranger's Apprentice, a 12 book best selling series.
We also love James Heriot's books....even more because he lived those stories!
Another author we enjoy is Ben Green. He wrote about his experiences tradin' horses back when everyone used them.

The little house books, and a little princess were books I liked as a child....and love as a mom.

If you want something that inspires try reading something from the mind of a man who dared to criticize the government. "No Treason" illuminates the perspective of an 18th century lawyer who loved truth and liberty! Lysander Spooner! That is some seriously good stuff! Heavy....but it lightens my heart and I am encouraged by the knowledge that some men embrace truth and affirm righteousness. It also shows how far we have come....and might help us draw lines where they should be.....or find our way back to true freedom. One can hope.
Thank you for the suggestions. I will defiantly look into them next time I look for books.

Thank you for the suggestions. I will defiantly look into them next time I look for books.
And Cool Wifey, I agree. I see more people in this generation into witchcraft and young kids at that. My cousin's son is heavily into and I had to block him from Fb.

My phone is acting up and putting replies where they don't belong. I hope you all can decipher what I am trying to say.

I was beginning to wonder if we were the only ones who don’t read Harry Potter and the like. Our extended family on both sides are very into reading and just can’t understand why we are not in love with Harry Potter. Knowing that my one sister confesses she is pagan (but really can’t have a conversation about her beliefs other than a few things concerning solstices) and most everyone else consider themselves agnostic, it puts us in a rough spot. We usually just say we can’t really get into them. It seems to keep the piece. My mother in law asked the other day if she could get the kids Harry Potter wands for Christmas this year because all of the other Grandkids have them and love them, even the older teens. I had to remind her that none of our kids ever really got into it. She was dumbfounded. Not sure how she’s going to take the fact that we are not celebrating Christmas this year. That will be interesting.

Ya, it's Satanic. No shortage of other good stuff to read instead.

I've read the entire Harry Potter series. I found nothing wrong with them and let my kids read them all, with no adverse effects. In fact, we found it much easier to get them all to school on time once they all learned how to ride brooms.

In all seriousness, in my view the HP books are just fiction, modern fairy tales, with no more power or danger than any other fiction. Yes, they contain references to magic and witches and such, but just because a story contains something doesn't mean it is glorifying it. Many Disney movies contain these elements too, but I don't hear many people complain about how Sleeping Beauty or Cinderella glorify magic because the fairy godmothers carry wands and sling magic around.

In my family, we believe that shielding children from the world does not prepare them for the day when they are on their own and the world comes calling. In order to develop "moral antibodies", children need to be exposed in a safe environment, while their parents can still influence their reactions. For instance, we caught one of my daughters looking up "how to cast a spell" on the internet. Rather than punish that, or lock down the computer or the Harry Potter books, we treated it as an opportunity to discuss the difference between real and imaginary, fact vs fiction, and to strengthen their moral foundations.

Back