• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

YouTube:Why did God allow polygamy in the Bible?

NeoPatriarch

Real Person
Male
I hope those is where this goes

https://youtu.be/io0iV84t-lw
Why did God allow polygamy in the Bible?

I spent a lot of time interacting with this video in the comments. Unfortunately I can't share links directly to my contributions. But it's a video worth watching and comments are pretty good.

Unfortunately I can't share links directly to my contributions.
Two steps for linking to a specific YouTube comment, AND... not having the link embed as the video itself....

1) Each YouTube video comment has a date stamp next to the user name of the one who posted it. The date stamp says how long ago the comment was posted (ex; 2 months ago). That date stamp is a link to that specific comment. Copy that link into the clipboard.

2) In your post here at BF, highlight some text in the post editing box, then press the "link" button in the post editing toolbar, and then paste the YouTube URL into the box that pops up. The link button in the toolbar is button #7 on the left, with the big B being #1.

This should be a text link to a commenter using your profile picture.

Blessings. :)

Thanks for the link. I hadn't seen that video but it's nothing new. Shalom
There's nothing new under the sun, but there is/was a lot of activity in the comments. It created many great exchanges for me. Now that I know how to link them I'll try to share some.

Here's what I got when I clicked the link.
Oh, that's not ideal. Is that the YouTube app? The link works for me on my phone and on my desktop when opening the link in the normal web browser. Even if it doesn't work in the YouTube app, the link should work for those on desktop, and for those on mobile by copy/paste into a browser... so long as the browser does not auto open in the YouTube app, which I think will probably happen, so it might be necessary to somehow force it to open in the browser. https://www.google.com/search?q=android+open+youtube+in+browser+not+app

Here's a crop of what I see when I view it in the browser on my phone. I get the "Highlighted comment" message, with that comment at the top. It is basically the same on my desktop, except the related videos are on the right side of the comments, rather than above.

yt.jpg

Here is an attempt to share one of my comments on this video.

"When people look at the Bible and they see cases of polygamy, they're not distinguishing between what God commands from the history of how He treated His people and how His people treated Him. And His people were not faithful."

Is that true? They must not be taking a very deep dive into the subject. God uses polygamy as an illustration of exactly how His people were treating Him.

[Eze 23:1-4 KJV] 1 The word of the LORD came again unto me, saying, 2 Son of man, there were two women, the daughters of one mother: 3 And they committed whoredoms in Egypt; they committed whoredoms in their youth: there were their breasts pressed, and there they bruised the teats of their virginity. 4 And the names of them [were] Aholah the elder, and Aholibah her sister: and they were mine, and they bare sons and daughters. Thus [were] their names; Samaria [is] Aholah, and Jerusalem Aholibah.

"Why would a man want more than one mother-in-law?"

:p

Marry sisters!

:p:p

You can't marry the second one as a rival to vex the first. :)

Presumably it is ok if there is no rivalry and vexation involved.

I've heard of double cousins (where two siblings from one family marry two siblings from another). In this scenario, your kids would be half siblings and first cousins. That is a bit odd.

"Why would a man want more than one mother-in-law?"

That is one of the better arguments against polygamy.

Back