• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

"A Resting Place"

ABlessedMan

Staff member
Real Person
Male
The word “resting place” in Hebrew (מָנוֹחַ) is an interesting word. Like many nouns it Hebrew it is likely formed from a verbal root (נוח) with the general meaning of “rest.” Unlike many nouns of this type, it appears both as masculine (מָנוֹחַ) and feminine (מְנוּחָה) with little difference in meaning. As a masculine noun it appears only 21 times in Tanakh. Sixteen of these cases are in the proper name Manoah, the father of Samson (cf. Jdg. 13:2, 8-9, 11-13, 15-17, 19-22; 16:31). Here is a sampling of the others (I’ll post the others if someone wants them):

ASV Genesis 8:9 but the dove found no rest for the sole of her foot, and she returned unto him to the ark; for the waters were on the face of the whole earth: and he put forth his hand, and took her, and brought her in unto him into the ark.

ASV Deuteronomy 28:65 And among these nations shalt thou find no ease, and there shall be no rest for the sole of thy foot: but Jehovah will give thee there a trembling heart, and failing of eyes, and pining of soul;

ASV 1 Chronicles 6:31 And these are they whom David set over the service of song in the house of Jehovah, after that the ark had rest.

ASV Psalm 116:7 Return unto thy rest, O my soul; For YHWH hath dealt bountifully with thee.

As a feminine noun it appears 21 times. Here is a sampling (I’ll post the others if someone wants them):

ASV Genesis 49:15 And he saw a resting-place that it was good, And the land that it was pleasant; And he bowed his shoulder to bear, And became a servant under taskwork.

ASV Numbers 10:33 And they set forward from the mount of Jehovah three days' journey; and the ark of the covenant of Jehovah went before them three days' journey, to seek out a resting-place for them.

ASV Deuteronomy 12:9 for ye are not as yet come to the rest and to the inheritance, which Jehovah thy God giveth thee.

It is important to note that the word “resting place” is metaphorical. “The basic idea of this root is found in the idea of roosting or landing upon. This is made clear in the first occasion in Gen (8:4,9) where, on the one hand, Noah’s ark “lands” upon Mt. Ararat, and, on the other the dove was unable to find a “place” to set its feet” ( John N. Oswalt, נוח in New International Dictionary of Old Testament Exegesis, 56). This source category, of a landing bird, then is used to describe a whole host of other categories: the promised land, Jerusalem, the temple, and fellowship with the LORD. All of these picture a feeling of “home” that includes safety, provision and protection.

The interesting thing for this study is that both the masculine and feminine forms of this verb also appear in the book of Ruth.

May YHWH grant you that ye may find rest (feminine), each of you in the house of her husband. Then she kissed them, and they lifted up their voice, and wept. (Ruth 1:9 ASV)

And Naomi her mother-in-law said unto her, My daughter, shall I not seek rest for thee (masculine), that it may be well with thee? (Ruth 3:1 ASV)

In the first case, Naomi prays a blessing on Orpah and Ruth that they may be remarried. In the second case, Ruth is specifically endeavoring to provide a means of Ruth marrying Boaz. At the very least, we can agree with Oswald in NIDOTTE who says, “Not only do birds find a place to roost, so do people, including widows (Ruth 1:9, 3:1) and the people of God (Gen 49:15; Num 10:33; Deut 12:9; 1 Kgs 8:56; Ps 95:11; Isa 32:18; Lam 1:3)” (ibid. 57).

With this said, however, I am awestruck first, that God allows me as a husband to be a means that he chooses to “provide rest” for my wives. Second, I wonder what is entailed in becoming a resting place. I know physical security is a part, but there is a spiritual and emotional component that is much deeper. How am I a “resting place” to my wife/wives? What does that mean in “our” culture?

Any thoughts?

The word “resting place” in Hebrew (מָנוֹחַ) is an interesting word. Like many nouns it Hebrew it is likely formed from a verbal root (נוח) with the general meaning of “rest.” Unlike many nouns of this type, it appears both as masculine (מָנוֹחַ) and feminine (מְנוּחָה) with little difference in meaning. As a masculine noun it appears only 21 times in Tanakh. Sixteen of these cases are in the proper name Manoah, the father of Samson (cf. Jdg. 13:2, 8-9, 11-13, 15-17, 19-22; 16:31). Here is a sampling of the others (I’ll post the others if someone wants them):

ASV Genesis 8:9 but the dove found no rest for the sole of her foot, and she returned unto him to the ark; for the waters were on the face of the whole earth: and he put forth his hand, and took her, and brought her in unto him into the ark.

ASV Deuteronomy 28:65 And among these nations shalt thou find no ease, and there shall be no rest for the sole of thy foot: but Jehovah will give thee there a trembling heart, and failing of eyes, and pining of soul;

ASV 1 Chronicles 6:31 And these are they whom David set over the service of song in the house of Jehovah, after that the ark had rest.

ASV Psalm 116:7 Return unto thy rest, O my soul; For YHWH hath dealt bountifully with thee.

As a feminine noun it appears 21 times. Here is a sampling (I’ll post the others if someone wants them):

ASV Genesis 49:15 And he saw a resting-place that it was good, And the land that it was pleasant; And he bowed his shoulder to bear, And became a servant under taskwork.

ASV Numbers 10:33 And they set forward from the mount of Jehovah three days' journey; and the ark of the covenant of Jehovah went before them three days' journey, to seek out a resting-place for them.

ASV Deuteronomy 12:9 for ye are not as yet come to the rest and to the inheritance, which Jehovah thy God giveth thee.

It is important to note that the word “resting place” is metaphorical. “The basic idea of this root is found in the idea of roosting or landing upon. This is made clear in the first occasion in Gen (8:4,9) where, on the one hand, Noah’s ark “lands” upon Mt. Ararat, and, on the other the dove was unable to find a “place” to set its feet” ( John N. Oswalt, נוח in New International Dictionary of Old Testament Exegesis, 56). This source category, of a landing bird, then is used to describe a whole host of other categories: the promised land, Jerusalem, the temple, and fellowship with the LORD. All of these picture a feeling of “home” that includes safety, provision and protection.

The interesting thing for this study is that both the masculine and feminine forms of this verb also appear in the book of Ruth.

May YHWH grant you that ye may find rest (feminine), each of you in the house of her husband. Then she kissed them, and they lifted up their voice, and wept. (Ruth 1:9 ASV)

And Naomi her mother-in-law said unto her, My daughter, shall I not seek rest for thee (masculine), that it may be well with thee? (Ruth 3:1 ASV)

In the first case, Naomi prays a blessing on Orpah and Ruth that they may be remarried. In the second case, Ruth is specifically endeavoring to provide a means of Ruth marrying Boaz. At the very least, we can agree with Oswald in NIDOTTE who says, “Not only do birds find a place to roost, so do people, including widows (Ruth 1:9, 3:1) and the people of God (Gen 49:15; Num 10:33; Deut 12:9; 1 Kgs 8:56; Ps 95:11; Isa 32:18; Lam 1:3)” (ibid. 57).

With this said, however, I am awestruck first, that God allows me as a husband to be a means that he chooses to “provide rest” for my wives. Second, I wonder what is entailed in becoming a resting place. I know physical security is a part, but there is a spiritual and emotional component that is much deeper. How am I a “resting place” to my wife/wives? What does that mean in “our” culture?

Any thoughts?
Just a small anecdote. I grew up similarly to the early American pioneers in a remote wilderness area, with no public works of any kind. We weren’t poor, it’s just the way my parents chose to live. As a child my father would occasionally be away for several days at a time for work. My mother was a strong, brave, and capable woman who loved that life, but when my father was away I remember a sense of worry/fear/angst? constantly hovered over mom and us kids. It was a fear that something bad could happen or something could go terribly wrong. It was mostly unspoken, but it was there even when everything was going fine. It was tiring. On the flip side, when dad was home, a fire breathing dragon could have been bearing down on us, and we wouldn’t have been all that worried because we knew “dad will take care of it”. There is a physical sense of rest in the covering and protection that husbands and fathers provide to women and children.

On a side note, earlier this week I was pondering 'as in the days of Noach' and how Yah brought the animals TOO him just in time... Yah prepared a place of safety, Yah selected, Yah gathered, Yah sealed the ark, etc... the reason for my pondering was focus on HIS provision and protection.

Your study adds depth to the safety they found in the ark in the midst of the most destructive storm in history.

In similar manner, He will gather and protect His people. (Doesn't mean we do nothing... we have to prepare, like Noach, but also answer the call, like the animals.)

On a side note, earlier this week I was pondering 'as in the days of Noach' and how Yah brought the animals TOO him just in time... Yah prepared a place of safety, Yah selected, Yah gathered, Yah sealed the ark, etc... the reason for my pondering was focus on HIS provision and protection.

Your study adds depth to the safety they found in the ark in the midst of the most destructive storm in history.

In similar manner, He will gather and protect His people. (Doesn't mean we do nothing... we have to prepare, like Noach, but also answer the call, like the animals.)
Yes, and Noah was the first big-time prepper saving the lives of people and animals. Being ready, prepared, for whatever might be coming is a good principle for having peace of mind.

@Asforme&myhouse, thank you for the experiential and spiritual element. I felt much the same about my dad. There was pretty much nothing he couldn't fix. We weren't rich by any means, but we were stable. PeteR, you helped me reflect on the real root of stability which is the person and blessing of the LORD. Both points are important and require deeper reflection.
First, in our transition as a family we had a number of blows that caused a great deal of instability: health issues, spiritual growth issues, trust issues, and issues with the children. I have had to reflect on the question, "Have I really been stable/mature in the LORD?" In many ways, I fear that despite "being the head of the house," there are too many ways in which "I'm not there yet." Anyone else have thoughts on this?
In a related vein, the issue of blessing and substance (and yes, Frederick - "preparedness"). My conviction is that the requisite material blessing to support a family are from the LORD. However, our lack of faith (or disobedience) can frustrate that process. Boaz was a "man of substance," which refers not only to his spiritual and moral standing, but the word is also frequently used to describe physical and material status. Again, I feel woefully inadequate, but the LORD is faithful.

Another question, that I wished I would have asked to begin with is: "For women (now), what does it mean to have a resting place?" Something I am reflecting on . . .

The word “resting place” in Hebrew (מָנוֹחַ) is an interesting word.
Thank you for such an awesome study/post! One of the things I love the most about BF are insights like these!

I love the idea of looking into this more. But here are a few of my thoughts.

I think it probably is pretty obvious that the idea of seeing one’s husband as a resting place is very different in “our” culture (viewed through a spiritual lens and weighed against Scripture) than it would be to secular culture (in large part dominated by feminist idealism). I would imagine that the woman who believes herself to be entitled to parity in marriage wouldn’t necessarily value or care to view her husband as a place of rest (physically or emotionally).

The image of marriage in the Bible is a parallel to that of the people (body) to Christ (the head). When this is properly understood it’s truly a beautiful thing. And just like the children of God take refuge in Him (Psalm 18:2 to name one of many), a wife so too should find refuge in her husband. He is meant to be the “place she sets her feet”, once there she has permanently landed 😊.

His physical protection comes quite naturally, and in my husband’s arms I’ll gladly take refuge from danger. And it’s not difficult for me to see how I have a place of rest emotionally. He loves me and values my emotions as part of who I am. That includes calling out unhealthy expressions, helping me to identify my feelings, and encouraging positive emotions. For me personally, I also see my husband providing a place of rest in his role as leader. The Greek word hupotasso is actually a military term meaning “to arrange in order under”. So in submitting to my husband, I’m choosing to follow his leadership from my proper place. And it’s there that he provides that spiritual resting place. It’s not about simple compliance, I defer to his judgment out of respect and with complete confidence knowing he is guiding us with a desire to follow God’s will.

@his_muse, Thank you for the input . . . it is much better to ask than to guess what women think. I've talked with my girls about it and they have said some of the same things. The issue of feminism doesn't just effect women, however. From a man's side, the thing I have struggled with (unknowingly) is misplacing my resting place. I am to "leave my father and mother and cleave to my wife" (Gen 2:24), but that does not mean that she becomes my resting place (at least according to my present understanding). Ultimately, the LORD must be my resting place so that I might be hers. I fear that too often in the past I have expected my wife/wives to be a "resting place" for me as well. Again, the myth of "parity."
It is my hope that my wives will pray for me and be united in the goal of hearing His voice and seeking His will. That seems to be right and good. Yet, ultimately, it is my responsibility to submit to the LORD and "be a resting place" even if they do not work with me to hear His voice or even if they are in active rebellion.
Having godly parents is a comfort in so far as, insofar as we honor them, we honor him. Eventually, however, we usually end up without them.
In a perfect world, we would be able to pray with the members of the body if we are weak or unsure of the LORD's leading. In the world most of us actually inhabit, sometimes it is only the LORD who stands with us. This is not intended as a complaint. The LORD is entirely sufficient, and "if he is for us . . .who can be against us?" It is only my rambling reflection at present.

I love the idea of looking into this more. But here are a few of my thoughts.

I think it probably is pretty obvious that the idea of seeing one’s husband as a resting place is very different in “our” culture (viewed through a spiritual lens and weighed against Scripture) than it would be to secular culture (in large part dominated by feminist idealism). I would imagine that the woman who believes herself to be entitled to parity in marriage wouldn’t necessarily value or care to view her husband as a place of rest (physically or emotionally).

The image of marriage in the Bible is a parallel to that of the people (body) to Christ (the head). When this is properly understood it’s truly a beautiful thing. And just like the children of God take refuge in Him (Psalm 18:2 to name one of many), a wife so too should find refuge in her husband. He is meant to be the “place she sets her feet”, once there she has permanently landed 😊.

His physical protection comes quite naturally, and in my husband’s arms I’ll gladly take refuge from danger. And it’s not difficult for me to see how I have a place of rest emotionally. He loves me and values my emotions as part of who I am. That includes calling out unhealthy expressions, helping me to identify my feelings, and encouraging positive emotions. For me personally, I also see my husband providing a place of rest in his role as leader. The Greek word hupotasso is actually a military term meaning “to arrange in order under”. So in submitting to my husband, I’m choosing to follow his leadership from my proper place. And it’s there that he provides that spiritual resting place. It’s not about simple compliance, I defer to his judgment out of respect and with complete confidence knowing he is guiding us with a desire to follow God’s will.

That is a Star Trek symbol for your avatar! :)

I love Star Trek and all of the different series that came out of it. There is some useful wisdom to be found in many of their episodes and some of it I have taken to heart like not letting yourself live in tragedy and instead allow yourself to move on to better times.

From a man's side, the thing I have struggled with (unknowingly) is misplacing my resting place. I am to "leave my father and mother and cleave to my wife" (Gen 2:24), but that does not mean that she becomes my resting place (at least according to my present understanding).
It’s interesting you should mention this....long before your original post, I had given some thought to whether or not my resting place was misplaced in focusing “too much” on my husband having that role, and wondering if I was taking away from loving God first. Have I turned my reliance on my husband and prized exclusivity (valuing the monogamous relationship we’ve had with the assumption that it was the root of him being a refuge for me) into an idol for myself?

My current conclusion is that God is first, in loving and respecting my husband I am acting in reverence to God. I think that it’s not my focus on my husband as my resting place that is the problem, but rather my assumption that I conversely am his resting place as well. But it’s a nuanced difference I think, because as his wife I most certainly provide comfort for him (and 1 Corinthians 7:4 comes to mind as an example of how we mutually provide for each other).

When I consider Ephesians 5:31-33, I think it might be important to note that husbands are called to love their wives as themselves, not as they love Christ. This follows the hierarchy of wife-husband-Christ-God. As subordinate I am accountable to all above me. I can exercise authority delegated to me, but the responsibility rests with the issuer. So it therefore follows that I find my resting place in the authority of my husband and in Christ and God the Father. My husband, however, looks only to Christ and God the Father, not to me as I hold no authority for him. He values my opinions and considers what I contribute, but he doesn’t look to me (and shouldn’t) to be a place to land upon because his authority is greater than mine. That doesn’t preclude him, however, from finding comfort and satisfaction through our accord. Being his subordinate means I can take grievances to him (usually in the form of emotional needs, but also spiritual needs and the occasional concern regarding family decisions) and he is obliged to help me. But following the correct chain of command means his grievances can’t come back to me, he can only seek the Lord for assistance. So as much as I can love him, provide comfort, fulfill his needs 😉, and desire to be his resting place, the fact is that I can’t resolve his grievances.

This is just me trying to put words to what I’ve been pondering, not solid or tested thoughts.

he is obliged to help me
But not always the way you may want. ;) I know that Yehova is always looking out for what's best for me. I also know that it is not always in a way I want or appreciate. I know you know this but I wanted to add this to provide clarity.

Back