• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Addressing the 'mutual submission' fallacy...

PeteR

Staff member
Real Person
Male
In another thread, the discussion brought up an absurd situation wherein a pastor expected a BF member wife to submit to him while he was in mutualsubmission to his own wife... several posts in that discussion worth reading. But, it made me think to post thus short missive I blogged the other day exposing the absurdity of 'mutual submission' in marriage.

The ABSURDITY of David Wilber's 'mutual submission' position...

In another thread, the discussion brought up an absurd situation wherein a pastor expected a BF member wife to submit to him while he was in mutualsubmission to his own wife... several posts in that discussion worth reading. But, it made me think to post thus short missive I blogged the other day exposing the absurdity of 'mutual submission' in marriage.

The ABSURDITY of David Wilber's 'mutual submission' position...

When you exchange wife for church and husband for Christ, it becomes so glaringly obvious, that one wonders who could miss it... but they do.

This is a good line of argument, but I've found it to be unfruitful, in part because the emotional reality of most Christians is based around the common conception of Jesus as a boyfriend there to serve the Christian all his/her desires and the average Christian has little to no submission to Christ (an impression not helped by the common Christian father who panders to his daughter and wife's every desire). They won't try and justify that though. Instead they'll go to the feet washing passage as a gotcha to prove that Christ taught mutual submission and not to rule over your wife and ignore anything you say to the contrary.

An alternate line of argument is to point to the other submission passages. Are parents supposed to submit to children? Are bosses supposed to submit to employees? Absurd, won't work, turns out badly, and is contrary to the text. And neither are husbands called to submit to wives. That idea is being read into the passage by those who would undermine the God given hierarchy as explained in 1 Cor 11. Submit to one another doesn't override the following passages but is rather an introduction to them as every one of us falls under one of the various examples of submission given.

This is a good line of argument, but I've found it to be unfruitful, in part because the emotional reality of most Christians is based around the common conception of Jesus as a boyfriend there to serve the Christian all his/her desires and the average Christian has little to no submission to Christ (an impression not helped by the common Christian father who panders to his daughter and wife's every desire). They won't try and justify that though. Instead they'll go to the feet washing passage as a gotcha to prove that Christ taught mutual submission and not to rule over your wife and ignore anything you say to the contrary.

An alternate line of argument is to point to the other submission passages. Are parents supposed to submit to children? Are bosses supposed to submit to employees? Absurd, won't work, turns out badly, and is contrary to the text. And neither are husbands called to submit to wives. That idea is being read into the passage by those who would undermine the God given hierarchy as explained in 1 Cor 11. Submit to one another doesn't override the following passages but is rather an introduction to them as every one of us falls under one of the various examples of submission given.

I like when people try to use the washing of Peter’s feet as an example of submission on Christ’s part. My response is, oh you mean the passage where Christ told Peter that he was getting his feet washed or he would have no part of Christ? And then Peter said, then wash all of me, but Christ was like, nope. That passage?

Submit to one another doesn't override the following passages but is rather an introduction to them as every one of us falls under one of the various examples of submission given
Bingo!

Text conversation with Ali:

A:
Hey, if you were teaching on mutual submission, how would you describe it?
Me:
It doesn’t exist
A:
I mean, what is Paul referring to when he mentions it
Me:
It’s been misunderstood and misnamed.

He never taught the concept.

He was teaching that everyone is to be in submission to the one/s that they are under.
Everyone is under somebody, except for the Creator.

Mutual submission is impossible.

There is no way for it to work.

“But he makes the final decision” cannot happen in mutual submission.
A:
Ahh.
Me:
Read the following chapter
A:
Kk

This was after she read Pete’s piece.

If we read the first 21 verses in Ephesians 5, we see Paul is instructing the MEN how to interact in leading a fellowship. They, the MEN, are to be in mutual submission as all are equal before Yeshua.

Our basis should be understanding Suzerain-Vassal relationships... Vassal kings could not war with each other. Neither can men in a fellowship. Neither can wives in a plural marriage... they all submit mutually and take grievances to their head, be he husband, in case of wives, or Yeshua, in the case of men in a fellowship.

That's what I see Ephesians 5:21 as referring to..

I get men mutually submitting to the elders, and they mutually submitting to Yeshua, but submitting to each other is a concept that my linear thinking cannot absorb.

Mutual submission is impossible.

There is no way for it to work.

“But he makes the final decision” cannot happen in mutual submission.

Exactly. In truth the teachings on 'mutual submission' are directed at men so that they'll surrender to their wives. To the wives the message is, "He can't force you to submit, it has to be voluntary." In other words, "Rule your marriage, unless you feel like letting him have his way."

I expect my husband to respect me and to listen to me. But I submit to him because in doing so I've never been happier! I feel so sorry for the women who think that by being the leader in their house that they're achieving something and then when they need their husband to step up and be a real man they discover he's just a child in a big body because that's what they expected of him! :confused:

When I submit to my husband he understands his responsibility to be someone I submit to because I respect his proven leadership and wisdom. He lives up to my expectations and that's a bigger burden on him than my submission is on me.

Outline of Biblical Usage:
  1. to arrange under, to subordinate

2. to subject, put in subjection

3. to subject one's self, obey

4. to submit to one's control

5. to yield to one's admonition or advice

6. to obey, be subject

This word was a Greek military term meaning "to arrange [troop divisions] in a military fashion under the command of a leader". In non-military use, it was "a voluntary attitude of giving in, cooperating, assuming responsibility, and carrying a burden".”

." In other words, "Rule your marriage, unless you feel like letting him have his way."
I would state it slightly differently:
“Obey him as long as you agree with him.”

But still profess that he is the leader of the family.

Last edited:
I would state it slightly differently:
“Obey him as long as you agree with him.”

But still profess that he is the leader of the family.
Sadly that is the dysfunctional state of many so called christian marriages.

Are parents supposed to submit to children?

Having been a parent non-stop since 1976 (last one leaving the nest in a year or so) and a parent of teenagers since 1982, I have watched a steady transformation of the parent-child dynamic usher itself in, with the opposite of resistance. It is now not at all uncommon for parents to submit to their children; in fact, parents are often shamed by other parents for not submitting to their children's bottomless demands.

I get men mutually submitting to the elders, and they mutually submitting to Yeshua, but submitting to each other is a concept that my linear thinking cannot absorb.
In a sense, I see us doing that here on a regular basis. We bow to each other's leadership without losing any self-respect.

In a sense, I see us doing that here on a regular basis. We bow to each other's leadership without losing any self-respect.
Do we?
Or do we submit to a superior argument?
Or sometimes just give up to maintain something that resembles peace?
It wasn’t all that long ago that an admin quit the site in the midst of a strenuous argument and I don’t remember any calls for mutual submission. Calls to disengage, yes, but not to submit.

Do we?
It wasn’t all that long ago that an admin quit the site in the midst of a strenuous argument and I don’t remember any calls for mutual submission. Calls to disengage, yes, but not to submit.
Oh he submitted. Or was submitted rather.

Submission implies that you disagree with or at least dislike what you are being told to do. If you are in agreement that's not submission it's agreement... I find it comical seeing women claim they are submitting because they do something their husband asked. But when they don't like what he asked they argue and often end up not doing it.

Great points and questions, @steve and @Pacman.

I find it comical seeing women claim they are submitting because they do something their husband asked. But when they don't like what he asked they argue and often end up not doing it.

That's definitely not submission and is more akin to the posture of a spoiled brat, but, at the same time, we are remiss if we fix our gaze only on the woman in the scenario; if, like the spoiled child, she can 'get away with it,' what does that say about the leadership ability of the man (which is his responsibility in the matter)?

Submission implies that you disagree with or at least dislike what you are being told to do. If you are in agreement that's not submission it's agreement...

The thing about all this is that it's a dance between two human beings, so I would say that being in agreement isn't necessarily not submission; sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. Submission is a posture for a woman, an approach to her man in which she, in a sense, makes an ongoing commitment to agree with her man in almost all circumstances, even in cases in which she considers it essential to provide some initial challenging input, because both individuals know that, after all has been taken into consideration, she is going to agree with going forward with the ultimate decisions made by her man -- in such a way that she jointly takes responsibility for all the resulting ramifications of those decisions, and no one outside the marriage can perceive any conflict. The conflict gets addressed in the lead-up to the decision and dies a certain death at the point of decision, and when a woman is truly submissive, she follows her husband's lead.

@steve presented the global biblical definitions of submission:

Outline of Biblical Usage:
  1. to arrange under, to subordinate

2. to subject, put in subjection

3. to subject one's self, obey

4. to submit to one's control

5. to yield to one's admonition or advice

6. to obey, be subject

This word was a Greek military term meaning "to arrange [troop divisions] in a military fashion under the command of a leader". In non-military use, it was "a voluntary attitude of giving in, cooperating, assuming responsibility, and carrying a burden".”

I like how @steve brought in the fact that the Greek word was a military term that was also applicable in non-military considerations, because that articulates the distinction between submission and surrender. In most effective militaries, to put oneself into that hierarchy of authority is voluntary submission; in command-control tyrannies, in which the armies are predominantly made up of people being forced to participate, to do so is to surrender from the outset -- and such armies have historically been far less formidable, especially in the long term. We use the term, "knuckling under," to indicate situations in which there isn't much of a choice. This is not submission; it's just "caving in." And what it leads to isn't partnership in any sense of the term but instead just plain slavery.

My perception is that, in that list of usages, in regard to the posture of wives submitting to their husbands, definition #5 is most applicable, because it is a voluntary yielding to the leadership of one's husband on the part of a wife, whereas often men get hung up on expecting their wives to comply with definition #4, which is really much more applicable to the appropriate posture of a child toward parents. It is also the case, in my humble opinion based on observation and study, that the vast majority of men who are obsessed with insisting that their wives demonstrate the type of submission that defines them as being in control of those wives did not in any real way articulate this expectation before entering into their permanent relationships. Had they done so, they would have saved themselves some heartache -- if this desire to be in control is essential to them, because they would have either started out their relationship with clear expectations, or they would have discovered themselves wondering where their women went -- in which case one has to reasonable assume that they didn't make such expectations clear because they were afraid of losing the prospective mate. In such circumstances, it is functionally unfair for the men to go on to grind the ax of, "My wife just won't submit." When I hear that, I also automatically hear, "And you took her on without addressing that, which means you only have yourself to blame, so either transform yourself or shut the f*** up."

What is too often lost is that it is imperative for the man who desires and will deserve submission from his wife to demonstrate the types of leadership that inspire submission. As men, we are made responsible by God and His Word to protect our women, and that protection extends to protecting them from having to live life insecurely under the dominance of a man who demonstrates significant leadership deficits. This, too, is, to me, characteristic of far too many men who complain about women not being submissive enough.

Do we?

My answers to your questions are, Yes, Yes and Yes.

Sometimes we submit to a superior argument. More often I would say that this, again, is part of a dance, this time a dance among male equals. Not one of us is (a) a Master of All Trades but instead (b) a Master of One or Some or (c) a Jack of All Trades and Master of None (there are other categories, like Deadbeat, but I'm very reasonably assuming there are none of those among us). As such, it's not so much a matter of submitting to but a matter of submitting with, which comes close to what is being bandied about as 'mutual submission.' I'm certainly not close to fully on board with author Wilber's take on the matter, but what I'm suggesting is that we do have here a framework within which we are building some interdependence based on varying skill sets that grant us potential access to the benefit of economies of scale, which, by the way, is one of the best functional arguments for plural marriage in modern times.

I would not in any circumstances I can imagine at the moment advise giving up to maintain something that resembles peace. A young woman with whom I'm currently enthralled recently started a discussion by asserting that she feels marginalized most of the time because of a trait she has that she wishes everyone else had and is certain the world would be better off for if everyone felt free to exhibit it: willingness to confront any unresolved conflict combined with a commitment to addressing any necessary component of that conflict until it is resolved (as I'm sure wouldn't surprise you, I have paraphrased her, but that's the definite gist of it). Why do people shy away from addressing conflicts and unresolved issues head-on? The short answer is, some variant of fear, so the uncomfortable label for that is one degree or another of cowardice. To create the illusion of peace isn't, therefore, even a worthwhile objective, but to shrink from standing up for what one believes is a compounding bloody shame. The submission in that case isn't to another person; it's submission, or better yet surrender, to one's own fears.

Why do people shy away from addressing conflicts and unresolved issues head-on? The short answer is, some variant of fear, so the uncomfortable label for that is one degree or another of cowardice. To create the illusion of peace isn't, therefore, even a worthwhile objective, but to shrink from standing up for what one believes is a compounding bloody shame. The submission in that case isn't to another person; it's submission, or better yet surrender, to one's own fears.

Fear of what others might think or say can restrain a person from both good and bad situations or actions. But the One we ought always fear is our Lord. I'm reminded here of Proverbs 29:25; The fear of man brings a snare, But whoever trusts in the Lord shall be safe.

Jesus offended some very sincere, deeply religious people by healing the sick on the Sabbath (cf. Luke 13:10-17). He could have healed the people on any of the other six days but He didn't; He did what was good and right even though people hated Him for it. He was never restrained from doing good by the fear of what others might think or do.

I get the distinct impression that a lot of those claiming to be Christians today would side with the ruler of the synagogue (Luke 13:14) in condeming Jesus for not waiting until after the Sabbath was past, or first checking whether or not anyone would be offended.

The ungodly fear of man (and fear of woman/wife) is keeping many women and men from experiencing the joys and blessings of polygyny - which is good and right. Many a lonely single woman could be living and experiencing the joys and blessings of being a wife and mother but for the fear of man!

Back