• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Another word for MARRIAGE?

How about "Mated?" I feel I, in my marriage, have more in common with the birds and the bees and the cats and the dogs than I have in common with homsexuality. "Are you married?" "No, homosexuals get married. We are mated." A footnote: I heard that the mayor of Provincetown tried to push through an ordinance banning "breeder" as "hate speech," because the homosexuals used the word to disparage the people with children who took over their beaches every summer. I promptly went out and got the license for my latest car to read "BREEDER."

Those of us who were at the conference and attended Dr. Allen's class where he talked about the etymology of the words "marriage," "husband," and "wife" now know that those are words invented by the RCC to go along with the false, pagan, Greco-Roman monogamy-only doctrine that they adopted and falsely labeled as "christian." So it is no wonder that the definition of the word "marriage" has been corrupted - it started out that way.

Therefore, I am making a conscious effort to not use those three pagan-Roman-Catholic words. But so far, I have not found any Biblically-correct terms that don't sound awkward.

For example, what does one woman in a covenant union with her man call the other woman who is also in a covenant union with the same man? "Sister wife" uses the pagan term, and just plain "sister" does not distinguish her from a woman who has the same parents.

I have started calling the woman with whom I am in a covenant union "my lady." Sometimes, I will use "my woman," but that sounds so - well, like a hillbilly. We are not "married" (well, legally, we are, because we "tied the knot" years before I learned God's Truth about a man and his woman or women) but rather, we are in a "covenant union."

Someday, someone on this forum will have a moment of inspiration and come up with the perfect terminology.

Soon, hopefully!

In reality that is a great term as it covers both parties to the union. In the lecture at the retreat on this subject these were some of the terms that were offered as viable options:

My man or my woman
life partner
covenant mate or covenant man/woman
union or covenant union
mates or covenant mate
mated (as you suggested would fit)
owned man/woman
joined man/woman
beloved
Christian cohabitation
Covenant cohabitation
coalescent union

But, as we explored in meticulous detail, the term "marriage" is actually a term created between 600 AD to 11 AD during the time when the government had taken over the role of creating such unions and thus these new terms that developed in the early English era were actually packed with definitions that differ from the original terms used by Christ and the apostles. The terms used by Christ and the apostles, as well as the OC Hebrew people, were private agreements for men and women to join together in cohabitation. Even in that time frame the Roman Empire did not legislate these unions as hey were totally private matters between men and women and families. But later the government when it merged with the Sword Sphere they created new terms with different definitions and those terms, husband, wife, marriage came over from Europe to America and thus spread throughout all of the English world. Now, basically those terms are like copyrighted terms and too they do not reflect the true biblical definition of the terms from Scripture. Thus other terms are more accurate, and they too keep one from running into problems with the legal issues that currently exist. In light of Lawrence v Texas the Supreme Court has ruled four key things in relation to private sexual relations: (1) the government is not omnipresent in the home, it is limited, (2) relations that are consensual and without fraud in nature it is acceptable, (3) so long as the people are adults and free to be able to reject the option, and (4) so long as it does not require government sanction then the government does not need to govern in this sphere. We examined the case and the numerous quotes by the justices in their ruling on this matter. Thus, it leads to the idea of private cohabitation as being acceptable, and in reality that was how Rome and the church functioned in the NT era. They joined each other in private consensual union, not marriages.

For example, what does one woman in a covenant union with her man call the other woman who is also in a covenant union with the same man? "Sister wife" uses the pagan term, and just plain "sister" does not distinguish her from a woman who has the same parents.

Sister mate might be a great option. Other options might be:
comrade
family member
covenant sister
beloved sister
coalesced sister

just a few to ponder.

I have started calling the woman with whom I am in a covenant union "my lady." Sometimes, I will use "my woman," but that sounds so - well, like a hillbilly. We are not "married" (well, legally, we are, because we "tied the knot" years before I learned God's Truth about a man and his woman or women) but rather, we are in a "covenant union."

I know how ya feel.

Part of the reason why so many like the term "married" is because we can add that ending, ed, to it to make it easy to use. Thus because of the ease it caught on as the easiest way to explain the relational status.

Joined is an easy word but sometimes people have not thought how to say it without indeed sounding odd. I think it depends though on the sentence we hear it in. For example if someone says: is this your wife someone can in return say: "Oh this is Janine my beloved mate." Or they could say, "Yes we are in a covenant union." It requires a few more words but conveys the right picture. Or too someone could say "yes we are joined together in the Lord"

When people say are you getting married one could with grace state it correctly by simply saying: "we are joining each other in a covenant ceremony to celebrate our coalescent union in Christ." That phrase is actually very polished and an elegant way of speaking the original biblical truth in modern terms while not infringing upon state sanctioned marriage that really does mean something different. So it really depends upon foresight about how one wants to communicate and it can be done in elegant ways that are both correct theologically as well as aesthetically pleasing to the ear in cadence.

I know how you feel about terms and sounding like a hillbilly. Some terms if not used appropriately sound like the ole hick who says things like: "my old lady is down yonder in the crik washin the maters off. When she gets back we mose down to the woods and find us a critter or two to cook for sup. whatcha doin tonight? wanna join us? If yu says so I'll get the ole lady to drop anuder critter on the far, jest ledme know." :shock:

So.......

If she was in a covenant union, would she be UNIONIZED?

Comrade: "These are my two comrades, Ivanka and Nataliya." Only in Mother Russia, brothers.

That there wurd 'coalescent' is purty fur from the farm. Sounds like sumpin the milk does when it has done gone bad:

"Pa, I think the milk has done coalesced. Now we can make cheese!"

What were the two words we came up with at the retreat? Boshizzle was one, but I forget the other....

"my old lady is down yonder in the crik washin the maters off. When she gets back we mose down to the woods and find us a critter or two to cook for sup. whatcha doin tonight? wanna join us? If yu says so I'll get the ole lady to drop anuder critter on the far, jest ledme know."
That's English? :eek: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Then there is the way my Navajo friends who speak English as a second language (including my best friend, my own lovely Navajo Princess) manage to butcher it. Such as, "Let's get a load of firewoods." Well, they are getting more than one stick, so add the "s" to make it plural... Or, instead of saying, "Two or three," it's "Three or two." :lol:

Greek or Hebrew words transliterated into English might work. Why not do that to "invent" our own vocabulary?

Extended Domestic Partner or Additional Domestic Partner or just Domestic Partners.

Domestic partner already has some acceptance for other lifestyle groups.

It doesn't really need to be a term found in the Bible or a term that raises legal concerns.

Back