• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Battered Women?

tphoover

I've wondered over the past few days about battered women as possible wives. When I met my wife, she was a battered woman. It took me a years to get her past it, but she has turned into a most beautiful Godly woman and wife with my guidance. I just wonder would it be appropriate to seek another wife from one who has been through so much, since it worked so well with Carrie? Please voice your opinion or any biblical guidance I may have missed in my study concerning this topic.

tphoover said:
I've wondered over the past few days about battered women as possible wives. When I met my wife, she was a battered woman. It took me a years to get her past it, but she has turned into a most beautiful Godly woman and wife with my guidance. I just wonder would it be appropriate to seek another wife from one who has been through so much, since it worked so well with Carrie? Please voice your opinion or any biblical guidance I may have missed in my study concerning this topic.

I happy to hear that things have worked out with your first wife!
I would strongly advise caution in any attempt to intentionally seek out battered women for marriage. If the woman has worked past the feelings of betrayal, anger and lack of trust, then she may be a good candidate. If she is still dealing with all those issues, then you will need to be very careful with her. I believe if you trust God to match you with the right woman, instead of you picking her out, then you really can't go wrong.

Blessings,
Fairlight

I believe if you trust God to match you with the right woman, instead of you picking her out, then you really can't go wrong.
i so agree.
agenda-driven searches are a good way to get your focus off of being led of the Lord.

and it may very well be true that the experience that your wife has had in this will make her an excellent minister to someone who has come out of it. but it is not a good time to experiment,just be led. :)

Agreed. God doesn't like it when His daughters are battered, and may well place them with an appropriate man to minister His loving human husbanding. It is definitely ok to follow His leading and marry His choice for you, regardless of her previous experiences. However, ...

When seeking a wife, seek God. Let Him lead the relationship issue, and follow directly. It's not a good idea to get the idea that we guys are the great golden saviors of poor downtrodden beaten helpless battered women who are so lucky that we came along and deigned to rescue them via marriage. Seen it happen. It's ugly.

I wasn't intentionally seeking out a woman with this experience. I was just wondering if it was the same as finding a single mom in church and helping her. I know I can't have the heart of being a white knight for a woman in that position. My wife and I have considered volunteering in a women's shelter and I believe God has given her the talent to help these women. I always ask Gods will when I have a decision in my life whether it is for marriage or anything else. I just didn't want to take undo advantage of a woman that was already taken advantage of.

Your heart, and that of your wife is lovely. May God give you great wisdom, love, strategy and provision for everything (and everyone) in the Kingdom He has called you to pursue.

Back