• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Curious about how you all might do this.....

Nikismom

Those of you with SW's already in place...

How do your families "claim" your children? For example, I know most couples are legally married by the state when they bring in their SW. So if hubby and SW have a baby how do you allow hubby to legally claim the child(ren).

We have been discussing this because we know that it is possible that once our SW get's here that she and hubby could possibly have a baby.. Would the baby take her last name and just name hubby as the father on the Birth Certificate or would the baby have hubby's last name which is also mine?

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

I'm curious about this too. We aren't sure how to handle insurance issues, especially with living arrangements being what they are. We've thrown out the idea of leaving hubby's name off the birth certificate if need be, but haven't really discussed a formal plan for anything yet. I would like to know how others have handled or are handling this too.

I don't know about all states, but in Nevada a woman who has a baby with a man who she is not legally married to can put his name on the birth certificate and can give the baby whichever name she wants. In Nevada the father has to sign the birth certificate and it must be notarized. He can claim them on his insurance. BTW any personnel issues are supposed to be confidential. Which means that even if the benefits people notice that there are two different mothers listed on the birth certificates, they should keep their mouths shut. Also, it is illegal for a perspective employer to ask about marital status and whether you have children. The only thing they can/should ask is if you have any impediments to be being a reliable employee. Many companies ask this question to see if they are likely to get sick calls because of sick children. It is illegal.

SweetLissa

So far as I know, you can list the father's name on the birth certificate anywhere. The procedure may differ a bit from state to state but the outcome is the same. The state would rather know paternity than not.

I believe that the baby's last name can likewise be his, at least if he's listed as the father.

One final step, which would make things simpler in many ways, would be for your new SW to have a simple legal name change, taking your husband's last name the same as she would if they had a registered marriage. Go to your county courthouse, speak with the clerk, and ask the procedure. I did it for a family of 6 in '97. The lawyers wanted to charge $300 per person. Following the clerk's instructions I did it for all 6 for a fee of something like $50 + (2) 5 minue court appearances. Judge asked if it was what we wanted. Didn't ask why. Woulda been told "Personal issues with my family" if he had. Amazingly simple. Oh, there were a few other fees for re-issue of driver's license, etc. *shrug* Anyway, if she does that, all above board and legal, the whole question becomes moot and no-one will question the birth certificate anyway.

Back