• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Encouragement in the polygyny storms.

frederick

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
Let's admit it, we all encounter storms and challenges in life. There are problems and challenges that roll in across the horizon, and we deal with them. But nothing seems to stir the emotions and generate storms like trying to discuss polygamy, and in particular polygyny. Some of you are about to venture out on this journey, so you might want to know how others were encouraged when the storms hit.

Many of us here in Biblical Families have experienced those storms first hand and know the severity of the difficulties that crash in on our lives. I want this thread to focus on the practical things that sustained you through those difficulties. What were some key elements in keeping you afloat when the waves rose so high that you thought you might go under? Were there particularly encouraging passages in the Bible that held you up? Where did you turn?

In the early stages it was constantly reminding myself of the faithfulness of God and His immutability (cf. 1 Cor. 10:13; 2 Thes. 3:3). I kept thinking God is good, so He must be working good through this situation. I also repeated this over and over to my wives as we battled the storms.

As time progressed, it was growing in the knowledge and confidence of those biblical truths which surround polygyny. The better the clarity of the truth, the easier it was to see the error of those who rejected it and promoted monogamy-only. The best way to resist and defeat error is through a confident stand on and proclamation of the truth.

I'm keen for insights and feedback from others, and that this might be an encouragement to those who need it.

Last edited:
Let's admit it, we all encounter storms and challenges in life. There are problems and challenges that roll in across the horizon, and we deal with them. But nothing seems to stir the emotions and generate storms like trying to discuss polygamy, and in particular polygyny. Some of you are about to venture out on this journey, so you might want to know how others were encouraged when the storms hit.

Many of us here in Biblical Families have experienced those storms first hand and know the severity of the difficulties that crash in on our lives. I want this thread to focus on the practical things that sustained you through those difficulties. What were some key elements in keeping you afloat when the waves rose so high that you thought you might go under? Were there particularly encouraging passages in the Bible that held you up? Where did you turn?

In the early stages it was constantly reminding myself of the faithfulness of God and His immutability (cf. 1 Cor. 10:13; 2 Thes. 3:3). I kept thinking God is good, so He must be working good through this situation. I also repeated this over and over to my wives as we battled the storms.

As time progressed, it was growing in the knowledge and confidence of those biblical truths which surround polygyny. The better the clarity of the truth, the easier it was to see the error of those who rejected it and promoted monogamy-only. The best way to resist and defeat error is through a confident stand on and proclamation of the truth.

I'm keen for insights and feedback from others, and that this might be an encouragement to those who need it.
That is still on of my greatest concerns about this journey. I have a fairly public position in local government and though well respected in the community I do anticipate some significant judgement and push back, maybe to the point of impacting my employment. I donhave other options that are less public so likely need to be ready if that happens.

That is still on of my greatest concerns about this journey. I have a fairly public position in local government and though well respected in the community I do anticipate some significant judgement and push back, maybe to the point of impacting my employment. I donhave other options that are less public so likely need to be ready if that happens.
If polygyny is a matter of belief and of your understanding from the Scriptures, then it is something you may or may not wish to raise publicly. But if you take another wife, or two, or three..., then that is a whole new realm you have to face. People see you, word will be out, and yes, you will have to be able to stand up to whatever comes. Take heart brother, others have sailed victoriously through this storm and lived to tell of God's blessings.

Right now we have a very sick husband in the house and there's four of us to help him and to help each other. I can't imagine going through this kind of thing alone AND trying to handle a family and a home.

Right now we have a very sick husband in the house and there's four of us to help him and to help each other. I can't imagine going through this kind of thing alone AND trying to handle a family and a home.

That is a enormous blessing. I like to imagine that were it one of the wives...any one of the wives, the care and intensity of the prayers would be the same.

With respect to venturing out into polygamy and the storms etc, I have tonne to say but honestly get a touch irritated when I think of the immediate responses the inculcated will have to polygyny with no actual consideration. Just reach in the bag and draw out one of five random lumphead propaganda points.

That is one of the things that I first saw as being an advantage for a plural family. You have more support in the difficult times of life. When my father passed, I saw what my mother went through and how alone she felt even though her kids were around her. I think it would have helped her so much to have another woman who could relate and be together with her through it.

We are praying for you all, Megan.

Back