• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Prayer request Finding a New Church

B1070

Female
Hey y'all!

I am in need of some prayers and maybe some advice even. I grew up in the same church (family has belonged to this church for 7 generations) and was baptized as a child there. Recently I've been feeling like it doesn't feel like home anymore if that makes any sense? I used to be so excited to go and enjoy fellowship, see family and friends, and just feel Gods presence. Now it feels like it doesn't feel right to me to be there. I've explored another church (my family doesn't support me in going to this church, they call it a "cult") and I liked that church but I'm still not sure if I should explore different churches in the area or what I should do.

Sorry for the mini rant! Thanks for the prayers!

I pray that Yah leads you to the place that is for you at this time.

I've explored another church (my family doesn't support me in going to this church, they call it a "cult") and I liked that church but I'm still not sure if I should explore different churches in the area or what I should do.
What is it about that church you liked? And what led your family to believe the new church might be a cult?
No worries, I don’t see this as a rant, pretty straightforward to me lol 👍🏽 and prayers your way, of course as you find the fellowship that draws you closer to God 😊

What is it about that church you liked? And what led your family to believe the new church might be a cult?

No worries, I don’t see this as a rant, pretty straightforward to me lol 👍🏽 and prayers your way, of course as you find the fellowship that draws you closer to God 😊
I felt like this church actually would use scripture in their sermons versus to the church I go now seems to be just trying to tell funny stories to relate to the modern age with a few "common" Bible stories.

Thanks so much!!

I felt like this church actually would use scripture in their sermons versus to the church I go now seems to be just trying to tell funny stories to relate to the modern age with a few "common" Bible stories.

Thanks so much!!
Ah I know what you mean here very much.

Thanks so much!!
Sad to say but that's about "normal" now. Ask around and see what friends or other contacts can recommend for you.

Some may/will disagree about what teaching "Scripture as Written" now means, but I'll suggest another, perhaps easier, "litmus test" (although there are many):

If the group is charted/licensed/incorporated as "501c(3)" - their creator is the state of that incorporation. Whatever the pastor may tell you, their first allegiance is thus to that master, rather than the One that Wrote the Book. (And they won't warn you about the "Clergy Response Team," either.)

What I am about to say is really more fitting for a man, as each woman's male head should be her only master and minister, but as I understand you lack such, I'll go ahead and share it.

My soul has almost never felt lighter than the day my eyes were opened and I walked away from Sunday social clubs. And I continue to feel the relief of my deliverance every time the subject is brought up. There are other ways to not neglect the gathering of believers, ways that do not involve the idolatry of churches and, as already pointed out, the entanglements of State sponsorship. For instance, ever since walking away, it has made a lot more sense to frequently invite for supper those who I know to be brothers in the Lord, or to call them or pause to visit with them a little extra long when meeting them on happenstance. I.E., feed His sheep. Those things are quality fellowship and don't leave the aftertaste of forced interraction, but instead leaves eachother feeling encouraged and like it wasn't fake.

I believe your worship ought to take the form of the offering of yourself in service to God in every moment, not a corporate staged event once per weekend. The good vibes you called God's presence probably wasn't what you thought it was. I believe there is a truth you are thirsting for but looking in the wrong places.

After the Spirit pricked my conscience, it still took me a little while to examine my own heart to see if the spirit was of the Lord, and to accept the faith to cast off the fear of man and take hold of His Word. I encourage you to likewise examine what I've said and ask God to show you what His will is, rather than assuming it must be church.

each woman's male head should be her only master and minister
This is the normative rule. You say your family attends your current church, I assume that includes your father, who would be your "covering/head" until you get married. If there is no scriptural reason for going against your father, I would advise you to stay until you get married. If there is a particular practice at the church that you believe to violate your conscience, that outweighs the authority of your father and you should find a congregation that does not violate your conscience.

I understand being frustrated with how a congregation does things, but I do not believe the idea of "not being fed" is a good enough reason to go against a father's decision.

Out of curiosity, what is your current denomination and what is the denomination of the church you are interested in?

My soul has almost never felt lighter than the day my eyes were opened and I walked away from Sunday social clubs.
It was seeing that big church has the same flaws and potential for abuse as big government that helped me let it go. We also enjoy fellowship as God provides.... and provide He does!
Another thing that helped me a lot was reading the book Bible Law vs the United States Constitution. What an eye opener!

Seeing what God authorized for human government also let's you see the massive idol called the state for what it is. Churches are a product of the state that pacify people into thinking they are living morally while they accept a false and competing authority that leads them astray.

That book can be read online free....or requested from that ministry who will send it out for free.

You say your family attends your current church, I assume that includes your father, who would be your "covering/head" until you get married.
Very good point, and good catch. Can take everything I said and file it under FYI

I assume that includes your father, who would be your "covering/head"
My father unfortunately passed when I was in high school, so would a grandfather be the next covering?

what is your current denomination and what is the denomination of the church you are interested in?
My current is a UCC church but my pastors have had Baptist backgrounds and they kinda add their own mix into things. I was talking to family today and I thought my current pastor had just had a Baptist background but due to family situations as a child I guess he has been brought up into lots of different denominations.
The current church I'm looking at is nondenominational as far as I can tell.

Those things are quality fellowship and don't leave the aftertaste of forced interraction, but instead leaves eachother feeling encouraged and like it wasn't fake.
I would love to find people I could have fellowship with outside of church, but I honestly don't know very many at all in my small town. My church congregation is small.... I think today there was maybe 20 people there. Out of those people it is a small amount of young teens who dislike being there (they've told me this themselves), or people over 60. Which I have no problem with gaining wisdom from the older generation, but everyone seems comfortable with the way our church messages are presented.
(I should add though that is my main problem with my current church is the sermons. For example our sermon today was on hospitality, and they did talk about the Good Samaritan, which is great message, but what bothered me is what followed. Our pastor was talking about evil and then brought up a tv show called Lucifer and he was saying, "Oh in the show Lucifer is this nice handsome man etc., but in the olden days he was presented differently....so whatever evil looks like to you let's avoid it.") I don't think it should be up to us what evil looks like in the form of Lucifer. I don't know it just made me so uncomfortable when he said that and rubbed me the wrong way.

I encourage you to likewise examine what I've said and ask God to show you what His will is, rather than assuming it must be church.
I will definitely pray on it and see where He leads me!!

Hey y'all!

I am in need of some prayers and maybe some advice even. I grew up in the same church (family has belonged to this church for 7 generations) and was baptized as a child there. Recently I've been feeling like it doesn't feel like home anymore if that makes any sense? I used to be so excited to go and enjoy fellowship, see family and friends, and just feel Gods presence. Now it feels like it doesn't feel right to me to be there. I've explored another church (my family doesn't support me in going to this church, they call it a "cult") and I liked that church but I'm still not sure if I should explore different churches in the area or what I should do.

Heavenly Father,

We say we come before You today with a heart filled with love and concern for B1070. You know the deepest desires of their heart, including their longing to find a church where they can grow in their faith and find a community that supports and uplifts them. Yahweh, we lift up this prayer to You, knowing that You are the ultimate guide and provider.

We pray that You will open the doors of opportunity for B1070. Lead them to a church where they can experience the power of Your presence and encounter Your love in a tangible way. Help them to find a place where Your Word is preached faithfully, and where they can be nurtured and encouraged in their spiritual journey.

Grant B1070 discernment. Help them recognize the signs of a church that aligns with what the scriptures teaches, a place where they can find genuine fellowship with fellow believers. Give them wisdom to see beyond the superficial and seek a community that will challenge them to grow and serve others with a humble heart.

Master, we pray that You will remove any doubts or fears that may hinder my B1070 from stepping out in faith to find a home. Fill them with courage and confidence, knowing that You are with them every step of the way. Surround them with supportive friends and mentors who can walk alongside them as they embark on this search.

Father, We ask that You prepare the hearts of the members of the church B1070 will ultimately join. May they be welcoming and ready to embrace my B1070 as a valued member of their family. Help B1070 to find a church where they can use their unique gifts and talents to serve You and others, bringing honor to Your name.

Above all may Your will be done in my B1070's search for a church. Guide them to a place where they can experience a deep connection with You, and where they can contribute to the building of Your kingdom on earth. May their journey to find a church be filled with joy, peace, and fulfillment, knowing that they are walking in Your perfect plan for their life. You said for us to seek and we shall find, knock and the door will be opened, please open the door for B1070 in Yahushua's name, Amein and HalleluYah!

I would love to find people I could have fellowship with outside of church, but I honestly don't know very many at all in my small town. My church congregation is small.... I think today there was maybe 20 people there. Out of those people it is a small amount of young teens who dislike being there (they've told me this themselves), or people over 60. Which I have no problem with gaining wisdom from the older generation, but everyone seems comfortable with the way our church messages are presented.
(I should add though that is my main problem with my current church is the sermons. For example our sermon today was on hospitality, and they did talk about the Good Samaritan, which is great message, but what bothered me is what followed. Our pastor was talking about evil and then brought up a tv show called Lucifer and he was saying, "Oh in the show Lucifer is this nice handsome man etc., but in the olden days he was presented differently....so whatever evil looks like to you let's avoid it.") I don't think it should be up to us what evil looks like in the form of Lucifer. I don't know it just made me so uncomfortable when he said that and rubbed me the wrong way.

I will definitely pray on it and see where He leads me!!
We are in a very similar situation. Our current church spends more time on explaining one verse of the Bible from someone else's perspective then using the Bible to provide clarity to the Bible. I'm ok with day to day application sermons but an hour long Bible study and we only read on verse of the Bible doesn't feel like a Bible study. We enjoy the company of our small church family but se are the only one with little kids so it's like having a bunch of grandparents for our kiddos, which is great and is why we keep going. The Bible study we leave for home.

We have some friends with at home services where they go from home to home. It's where we want to go but it's hard to leave the church family. Prayers for clarity and guidance to us all. God Bless.

We are in a very similar situation. Our current church spends more time on explaining one verse of the Bible from someone else's perspective then using the Bible to provide clarity to the Bible. I'm ok with day to day application sermons but an hour long Bible study and we only read on verse of the Bible doesn't feel like a Bible study. We enjoy the company of our small church family but se are the only one with little kids so it's like having a bunch of grandparents for our kiddos, which is great and is why we keep going. The Bible study we leave for home.

We have some friends with at home services where they go from home to home. It's where we want to go but it's hard to leave the church family. Prayers for clarity and guidance to us all. God Bless.
It really is hard to leave something you've known and the good people. I've known these people essentially since I was infant and they've known me and since I'm the 7th generation of my family going there I feel guilty if I were to leave. My mom even told me she'd be upset and disappointed, and I can't even imagine what my grandparents responses would be.

I think home services would be great but I don't know of any where I'm from. But this newer church I actually really enjoy and I'm going to go back this Sunday!

I'll be praying for your family as well :)

Hi Becca, Great to find you here and Welcome. I must agree with those that do a home church. We have had a home church for the last 13 years and we have never learned more about the word and Our Most High than in studying in a home church. We read the Scriptures together, stop and discuss anything that anyone has a question about and if we do not have a definitive answer we go to the original languages and define the words of the verse, trying to take mans interpretation and ideas out of the mix, and again, have never learned so much. May you be blessed as you seek His Truths and Love.

I think home services would be great but I don't know of any where I'm from.
That is actually the point of our on-line fellowship. Many who join us regularly (if not most) are in a similar situation. Others simply prefer a Bible study that is no-holds-barred Scripture-as-Written.

Regardless, you'd be welcome to either join us (on the Sabbath, live) or via the podcasts, which are also on-line, and go back quite a few years at this point (searchable by topic):

Other Bible teachings, and even topical shows from "Come out of her, My people" to daily news, are on:

Sometimes people coming out of the 501-c(3) world have questions, too. Those are always welcome, either here, or at mark@markniwot.com.

Blessings!

PS> You don't even have to admit looking for Truth elsewhere!

Last edited:
Is there any reason you need to leave your church in order to have different fellowship? Really, Sunday morning services don't actually achieve much in terms of personal growth. If you really want to grow in your relationship with God through interaction with other believers, you do that in home groups and similar settings.

What about finding out what home groups the other church runs, and starting to attend one of those during the week sometime, while continuing to go to your family church on Sundays? That way you would continue to maintain all the connections that you have to the people there, and avoid upsetting your family so maintain your family relationships too, while still gaining the fellowship of a whole new group of people. You'd then be learning about God from two different denominational perspectives at the same time, which may give you opportunities to compare and contrast, and grow further in your understanding.

Don't think of the church as a congregation. The true Church is all the believers in your town. You don't have to leave one congregation and join another. Just fellowship with everybody, at different times and places.

Back