• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Genesis 2:24 : In the beginning....

But is that the actual other place used?

This has it to mean...

Reading that, I'm leaning strongly towards, leaving the fathers care and support. And if any of you married young while still at home, that is exactly how it worked. You left home and built a new household (figuratively) and were now responsible for supporting it.
So right off the bat I can think of Isaac and Rebecca not fitting in to this mold and I would suggest that Adam and Eve really didn't either. Nothing about the patriarchal/tribal culture of the Old Testament would suggest that many people fit this mold at all.

I finally got time to watch it. It was interesting but really didnt have much to add to the conversation. Not very risky either. That seems to be a pretty good site.

Genesis 24:67 (KJV)
And Isaac brought her into his mother Sarah's tent, and took Rebekah, and she became his wife; and he loved her: and Isaac was comforted after his mother's [death].

Is it an assumption to believe that Isaac bypassed his father’s authority and just led her into his mother’s tent and lay with her upon meeting her?
The servant had been dispatched by, and seemingly accountable solely to, Abraham.

Last edited:
Genesis 24:67 (KJV)
And Isaac brought her into his mother Sarah's tent, and took Rebekah, and she became his wife; and he loved her: and Isaac was comforted after his mother's [death].

Is it an assumption to believe that Isaac bypassed his father’s authority and just led her into his mother’s tent and lay with her upon meeting her?
The servant had been dispatched by, and seemingly accountable solely to, Abraham.
That wouldn't contradict the passage. What are the implications if he did?

That wouldn't contradict the passage. What are the implications if he did?
But if an incorrect assumption is being made, then things are being read into that sentence that aren’t true.
The idea that it was acceptable to simply take her in that way teaches a method of marriage that is not YHWH’s preferred choice, in my opinion.

I am thinking that what the whole "leave" thing means is that if a son is too young to leave maturity wise, then he is too young to marry. If he marries then he should be old enough to leave, if necessary . It does not mean that you have to kick him out, but it does mean that you have to treat him differently. He is no longer an employee in the family business. He is now more like a partner. He needs his own space. His own autonomy. His own sovereignty. He is now recognized as a separate independent unit. He now has his only family and affairs to take care of and that independence should be supported. In a healthy relationship his Father becomes less commander and more advisor. Blessed are the families that can provide this and still keep it all under one roof.

It kind of reminds me of the spider plant how it makes subplants and in time those subplants break off and form their own plants. When they actually do that is variable and depends on the conditions at the time.

This is an interesting snippet on leaving

Kethuboth 67b

Our Rabbis taught: If an orphan applied for assistance to marry,3 a house must be rented for him, a bed must be prepared for him and [he must also be supplied with] all [household] objects [required for] his use, and then he is given a wife in marriage, for it is said in Scriptures, Sufficient for his need in that which he wanteth:4 'sufficient for his need', refers to the house; 'in that which wanteth', refers to a bed and a table; 'he'5 refers to a wife, for so it is said in Scripture, I will make him5 a help meet unto him.6

Not to say that every son has to leave the fathers house to set up his own household, as an orphan may not have a fathers house.

But if an incorrect assumption is being made, then things are being read into that sentence that aren’t true.
The idea that it was acceptable to simply take her in that way teaches a method of marriage that is not YHWH’s preferred choice, in my opinion.
One of the problems we're having is that God really didn't define His preferred way to form a marriage. I can't really say what His preferred way is. What we have in Isaac and Rachel's story though is a relationship that definitely was considered a marriage.

One of the problems we're having is that God really didn't define His preferred way to form a marriage. I can't really say what His preferred way is. What we have in Isaac and Rachel's story though is a relationship that definitely was considered a marriage.
Still, we do know that Isaac was a Godly man who honored his father. Scripture does not give every detail on every event and every character. Steve's assumption is a very safe one. Abraham was very wealthy, extremely well known and respected and everything he had was going to a single heir... this is a big event that received more respect than running off to the tent together. It is Abraham figuratively passing the torch in front of the family, and he had a big one.

Still, we do know that Isaac was a Godly man who honored his father. Scripture does not give every detail on every event and every character. Steve's assumption is a very safe one. Abraham was very wealthy, extremely well known and respected and everything he had was going to a single heir... this is a big event that received more respect than running off to the tent together. It is Abraham figuratively passing the torch in front of the family, and he had a big one.
Well said.
I was headed in the “respect” direction, but you put it together well.
YHWH’s preference would always be in respecting righteous elders. After all, it was Abraham that filled out the purchase order and paid for the bride.
I won’t mention the fact that it is traditionally believed that she was very young and actually raised in the ways of a righteous family before they married. But that is extra-Biblical, so I didn’t use it as a proof.

Back