• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

head covering

kmeltonlnc

i have only been reading this forum for a few months and just recently started posting. i know that there are a wide variety of beliefs here, but i wanted to just share a book that has been a great blessing to me and has changed my life in innumberable ways. though the material is copywrited, the author says while this is not to be sold, we are welcome to share it freely. i hope someone is as blessed by it as i have been.

Kmelt,

I went to the site but didn't find the head covering reference. Just to save time, would you please tell me where it is? Tanx, ali

alit53 said:
Kmelt,

I went to the site but didn't find the head covering reference. Just to save time, would you please tell me where it is? Tanx, ali

Ali,

I found it when clicking on the button at the top of the web page titled femininity then scrolling down a bit there is a couple of free web books about headcovering. Hope this helps.
I was personally called to cover and dress modestly during my personal studies of scripture right around 9-11, to put it mildly I was more than a little scared that I would be doing this just when things were very bad for ladies who covered. Looking back on it I found that there are many more blessings than problems with this. I am treated with more respect and for the most part have no concern that someone is going to harm me. It's really nice being able to be looked at as a lady rather than as a piece of meat.

Kara

I agree so much with you, Kara. I used to cover full-time when I was married. I started after 9/11 as well, but never had any trouble, even living in the tiny Mid-western community that I do. I don't currently cover full-time as I am not married (I'm a widow), but I always cover during Church and when praying and do so often othertimes, just not always. I always feel so feminine and modest and safe when I do. It is such a blessing!

Heather

Greetings Ladies,

I'm really glad that I opened up this discussion, as it continues to encourage me to study & pray more about this issue. My dh is still getting use to me dressing more modestly as of the past two years now. I do for the most part where long skirts or dresses all the time and am covered quite well. Although I do not feel as though modest dress or head covering has anything to do with our salvation on any level. Through prayer and biblical submission to my dh in all things, he is growing a heart towards more Godly living. He does also still enjoy me wearing pants at times, although not tight or inappropriate mind you. For the most part, he does request that I wear my skirts & dresses. He likes me to keep my hair long, and pulled up into a single braid, pony tail or bun. At times he does request that I just wear it down. Not sure that he'd agree with
head covering though. I have briefly spoken to him about this issue, and he feels as though it isn't a direct command of God or that it pertains to salvation. Since he prefers to see my hair, and that it isn't a salvation issue or an issue with my dh, for now I'm choosing not to make it an issue either. ;)

I have and do at times wear a head covering at home when dh isn't home. Silly I know, but I don't want to make my dh uncomfortable or feel as though I'm going against his wishes with this matter. Until Yeshua himself strongly convicts me otherwise, I will follow my dh's lead with this matter. Dh wouldn't get upset or forbid me to cover, but I know that it would make him uncomfortable to an extent. Although, when & if Yeshua may choose to convict & lead my dh in this area of covering, I will joyfully obey Yeshua & my dh in that call! I would truly like to be even more modest/conservative & covered at all times, as it does help me to know my place in our God ordained marriage, that Yeshua has planned for women of the faith. It also helps me to feel more encouraged to Godly Submission unto my dh and I feel closer to Yeshua, as I learn and live my life in full obedience to Him and my dh. In the mean time, I do enjoy getting my hands on as many books and studies on the topic as possible & keeping it lifted in prayer. Thanks for the shared wisdom and biblical references to this topic. I look forward to hearing more from other Sisters in Christ who are studying or actually covering at the current time. Take care all, God be with thee, guide thee & bless thee! :)

Warm Wishes,
FOR HIS GLORY ALONE!
F.S.

I PRAY THAT I BE NOT A HINDRANCE!

Faithful Servant said:
Greetings Ladies,

Since he prefers to see my hair, and that it isn't a salvation issue or an issue with my dh, for now I'm choosing not to make it an issue either. ;)

I have and do at times wear a head covering at home when dh isn't home. Silly I know, but I don't want to make my dh uncomfortable or feel as though I'm going against his wishes with this matter. Until Yeshua himself strongly convicts me otherwise, I will follow my dh's lead with this matter. Dh wouldn't get upset or forbid me to cover, but I know that it would make him uncomfortable to an extent. Although, when & if Yeshua may choose to convict & lead my dh in this area of covering, I will joyfully obey Yeshua & my dh in that call! I would truly like to be even more modest/conservative & covered at all times, as it does help me to know my place in our God ordained marriage, that Yeshua has planned for women of the faith. It also helps me to feel more encouraged to Godly Submission unto my dh and I feel closer to Yeshua, as I learn and live my life in full obedience to Him and my dh. In the mean time, I do enjoy getting my hands on as many books and studies on the topic as possible & keeping it lifted in prayer. Thanks for the shared wisdom and biblical references to this topic. I look forward to hearing more from other Sisters in Christ who are studying or actually covering at the current time. Take care all, God be with thee, guide thee & bless thee! :)

The husband is the head of a wife so a wife should only cover if that is something dh is OK with. If the hubby is indifferent, then I would say the wife has the freedom to decide if she should cover or not. But if a husband is against it, a wife is in rebellion if she tries to say the LORD is telling her to cover so she is going to obey God - not her husband. She is disobeying God in doing such a thing. The LORD never asks us to do things against our husband's views or desires. We look at our husbands as the LORD so we obey or do whatever pleases them - unless our hubbies ask us to do something that is sin.

Heather

Hi there Heather!

Thanks for chiming in on this topic. I couldn't agree with you more! :D As I have already shared here, I do not go against my dh's wishes with anything. As I stated in my recent post here, my dh has Not forbid me to cover as it doesn't upset him. He just isn't a %100 comfortable with it, as he & I are both in agreement that covering is not a salvation issue on any level. He is fully aware that I at times cover while he is at work or where ever, and is just fine with that. I of course have asked his permission with this matter. Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. The only thing dh asked is that if he isn't feeling comfortable on any given day, for what ever reason with my head covering, that I not do it at those times. And again, we both are in full agreement with that. :) Thank you for the sweet reminder to obey my dh in all things. ;) Go forth in His Might, Power, Love & a Sound Mind. Being a blessing on the path that Yeshua's placed you on, & being blessed in return according to the pure motives of your heart!

Warm Wishes,
FOR HIS GLORY ALONE,
Faithful(not perfect)Servant :)

PROVERBS 3:5-8

Hi FS! You sound like you have such a sweet spirit so I don't take you as the rebellious type. I just thought I'd share. :D

Heather

I certainly agree about obeying your husband. Though if you feel you should be obeying God in something your husband disagrees with, the first thing you should be doing is praying for God to change his heart (1 Peter 3:1-2).

I also agree that daily covering of the hair is not a salvation issue (though I do believe that covering during prayer is different) but it can be considered a modesty issue and can have implications on your soul as well as others. Leading a man to lust would be committing a sin (Matthew 5:27-29). I personally believe that in these modern times, such an issue deals more with clothing and mannerisms than with hair covering. Men are used to seeing hair in our society. I don't believe that most women's hair drives a man to sin. Of course, if I am wrong in this, men please speak up!

It is made clear that a woman should cover her head while praying (1 Corinthians 11:3-10). It was common until about 30 years ago to see women of all denominations wearing hats or veils to Church. Covering your head (not all your hair) during Church shows you obey the Lord and your husband. It is a sign of his leadership over you. What husband would be opposed to that? Maybe his reluctance has more to do with the style of covering instead of the idea of it itself. Most men do not feel comfortable with their wives dressing odd or unusual. They want to take pride in their beautiful wife. So a headcovering that makes him comfortable is a must. And really all that is required is that something is your head. There are many fashionable hats, kerchiefs, and scarves. You do not have to look strange, foreign, or unusual if that is not your thing. Plus, hats are making a comeback in style. :)

Since I see there is another Heather, I will sign my posts "plantgirl" instead :)
~plantgirl

I thought I would also post a list of my favorite links of places to get modern looking, attractive headcoverings. NOTE: Many of these sites sell coverings for women who cover all their hair. But look around and be open. You will find many coverings that look modern and stylish in any setting.

http://www.garlandsofgrace.com/ This is one of my favorite. Very pretty and the fabric headbands are so normal looking.
http://headcoverings-by-devorah.com/home.html Hats and kerchief style veils. I like the fabric snoods with bangs.
http://www.modestclothingpa.com/head_covering.htmlHats. My personal favorite (as well as my Mom's) are beret styles. Easy to wear for any hairstyle.
http://secure.cartsvr.net/catalogs/index.asp?category=300485 traditional style for Catholics
http://www.coveryourhair.com/ Berets, knit hats, expandable headbands and more
http://www.challahandhats.com/ Beautiful hats for summer or winter
http://www.halo-works.com/Catholic based styles, beautiful lace shawls from other countries. A must see!
http://www.tznius.com/cgi-bin/group.pl?id=52 lots of scarves and headbands
http://www.villagehatshop.com/index.html Largest hat shop online
http://www.headcoverings.com/ Lots of different styles as well as patterns for sewing your own
http://www.fmfcorp.com/familyspot/shopping.html#Headwear TONS of links
http://www.fmfcorp.com/familyspot/haircover.htmlCrafty?? Make your own. Tons of links on how-to

Greetings Plantgirl,

Yes again I do agree with both you & SeekHim1 statements, that we should obey both our dh's and Yeshua in all things. As I've stated many times, through prayer, seeking Yeshua's will for my proper place & submission in my marriage & of course with lots of practice(as none of us are perfect at anything), I do my best to obey my dh in all things. ;) I am continuing to study & seek His will about this particular topic. As well as seek my dh's permission/approval before doing anything. Which is good timely/Godly & wise advice for all married Christian women.

For me and my dh, the head covering issue is not an issue for us at this time. I do understand that we don't want to be a temptation to men into sin. I also agree that we should be modest in our appearance, but more so in the attitude of our hearts & with our behavior and treatment of others. "Love your neighbor as yourself." We can be modest in our clothing without putting people off. Weather we choose to be a little more "trendy & modest " or choose to be more "traditional & modest," we can still choose to treat others in a Christ like manner & not act holier than thou. ;) As it's a true shame when modest/conservative women of the faith behave this way at times. Understanding of course, that not all modest women do behave this way. And many women of the faith weather more modest or not act this way, & would do well to check themselves on a regular basis against these prideful issues & behaviors. Preaching to myself as well of course! ;)

However for some reason my dh just isn't fond of the whole head covering issue or the look of it, as he sees it as being more of a "legalistic or a cultural issue." However it doesn't bother my dh if I do want to cover, just as long as it isn't all the time, b/c he just doesn't find it very attractive. In the end, for this season of our walk of faith, dh says that this issue is between me & God. He is an Awesome loving & devoted Servant-Leader of our home, but he doesn't feel a need to control/micro manage every single aspect of my life. As he feels that God has blessed me with a brain with wisdom & my own individual creative talents. He does Truly care about my walk with the Lord and our marriage, but he just doesn't want to "be married to a stepford wife!" :lol:

All of these discussions are Godly & thought provoking thoughts to think and pray on. Again I'm still studying and seeking Yeshua's will in this area for my life. Consulting my dh along the way, seeking to obey him in all things. I just love my Savior and my man that Yeshua's blessed me with! :D

F.S.

PROVERBS 3:5-8 :)

plantgirl848 said:
I certainly agree about obeying your husband. Though if you feel you should be obeying God in something your husband disagrees with, the first thing you should be doing is praying for God to change his heart (1 Peter 3:1-2).

I also agree that daily covering of the hair is not a salvation issue (though I do believe that covering during prayer is different) but it can be considered a modesty issue and can have implications on your soul as well as others. Leading a man to lust would be committing a sin (Matthew 5:27-29). I personally believe that in these modern times, such an issue deals more with clothing and mannerisms than with hair covering. Men are used to seeing hair in our society. I don't believe that most women's hair drives a man to sin. Of course, if I am wrong in this, men please speak up!

It is made clear that a woman should cover her head while praying (1 Corinthians 11:3-10). It was common until about 30 years ago to see women of all denominations wearing hats or veils to Church. Covering your head (not all your hair) during Church shows you obey the Lord and your husband. It is a sign of his leadership over you. What husband would be opposed to that? Maybe his reluctance has more to do with the style of covering instead of the idea of it itself. Most men do not feel comfortable with their wives dressing odd or unusual. They want to take pride in their beautiful wife. So a headcovering that makes him comfortable is a must. And really all that is required is that something is your head. There are many fashionable hats, kerchiefs, and scarves. You do not have to look strange, foreign, or unusual if that is not your thing. Plus, hats are making a comeback in style. :)

Since I see there is another Heather, I will sign my posts "plantgirl" instead :)
~plantgirl

Hello fellow Heather! Just had a question about your post. Are you saying that you think covering while praying is an issue of salvation? If so, where would you find Scripture to back that up?

One thing I wanted to say is that a wife covering her head does not automatically mean she is in submission to her husband or the LORD - I can vouch for that personally. I am all for a wife covering if she is doing it unto the LORD, but covering, to me, is no different than doing anything else that might "look" righteous but the heart is still out of order. Like Matthew 7 or 1 Corinthians 13 --- doing that one act of obedience doesn't dictate a heart of complete obedience and love for the LORD --- "Lord, Lord, didn't I cover my head in your name? Depart from me - I never knew you" or "I can cover my head but have not love, I am nothing..." It is easy to tell a woman, "Hey - cover your head, wear a dress, don't cut your hair, dress modest, etc. because that means you are godly..." and a woman could run with that and think all those things mean something when if they aren't done for the right reasons, it is all vanity. If they develop out of a relationship with the LORD and His leading and conviction, that's a different story.

I think you gave some great websites for nice and stylish coverings...I really like Devorah's coverings. I definitely agree that if a woman does cover, it doesn't matter what it is - not one particular covering as some groups teach. I think there is freedom to be colorful and beautiful with it.

Heather

Hey there Heather,

Good to hear from ya! My thoughts exactly, as I shared in my recent post. I like how you wrapped it up, I apologize as I tend to be long winded! :roll: I'm working on that though, as I'm working on a few other things with the Lord as well. ;) The points you & I have shared about the attitudes & true motives of our hearts, for why & how we do anything in the Lord's name is what matters. Especially how we treat others, while professing to be modest, covered or wise in the Lord! Are we truly loving our neighbors as ourselves, or are we always waiting to lecture & judge them with all of our "little teachable moments?" ;) It's easy to become prideful and claim that others aren't being obedient to scripture or their dh's, especially when our heart's motives aren't in the right place/in Godly order in the first place.

As sisters in Christ,it is Christ like to want to share Godly Wisdom & Yeshua's direction for our lives. To build one another up in the Lord, not to tear down with harsh judgments, or constantly lecturing women of the faith to obey their dh's. Most women of the faith already know this scriptural truth of Godly Submission & Obedience. They need a hand up in Christ, speaking the Truth in Love in a Godly manner. To encourage Godly Submission & Obedience, by supporting & directing each other to Yeshua himself. To cover one another in prayer continuing to encourage, to cheer each other on when we will all sometimes fail. To cheer them on to to pick up the pieces and keep going. Which for the most part, many lovely sisters in Christ here have already so sweetly done for us during our times of struggles or short comings.

Thank you much for all of those very insightful and informative web-links that you've shared with us Plantgirl! :) I've checked into a few of them before, and am enjoying the other links as well. I have enjoyed your shared wisdom and heart on this topic of head covering. Very insightful & thought provoking. I'm still enjoying praying and studying about this topic, and am looking forward to where Yeshua will lead both me & my dh in this matter. Good discussion ladies, extra godly food for thought! :)

Warm Wishes,
FOR HIS GLORY ALONE,
F.S. :)

Hi FS! I totally agree with your sentiments. I am the last one to be lecturing others on submitting to hubby so I hope I don't come across that way. What helps me is to have other women covering me in prayer and encouraging me in love to do what the Bible says in all areas especially in submitting to my head...but at the same time, admitting that in our humanness, this is often easier said than done! :(

seekHim1 said:
Hello fellow Heather! Just had a question about your post. Are you saying that you think covering while praying is an issue of salvation? If so, where would you find Scripture to back that up?

One thing I wanted to say is that a wife covering her head does not automatically mean she is in submission to her husband or the LORD - I can vouch for that personally. I am all for a wife covering if she is doing it unto the LORD, but covering, to me, is no different than doing anything else that might "look" righteous but the heart is still out of order. Like Matthew 7 or 1 Corinthians 13 --- doing that one act of obedience doesn't dictate a heart of complete obedience and love for the LORD --- "Lord, Lord, didn't I cover my head in your name? Depart from me - I never knew you" or "I can cover my head but have not love, I am nothing..." It is easy to tell a woman, "Hey - cover your head, wear a dress, don't cut your hair, dress modest, etc. because that means you are godly..." and a woman could run with that and think all those things mean something when if they aren't done for the right reasons, it is all vanity. If they develop out of a relationship with the LORD and His leading and conviction, that's a different story.

I think you gave some great websites for nice and stylish coverings...I really like Devorah's coverings. I definitely agree that if a woman does cover, it doesn't matter what it is - not one particular covering as some groups teach. I think there is freedom to be colorful and beautiful with it.

Heather

Heather,
Sorry it has taken me so long to respond. I needed time to reflect and pray on what I wanted to say.

As for praying while covering, I did not mean to say that it is an issue of salvation. I am not exactly sure what you mean by "an issue of salvation." I believe the only issue of salvation is believing in the saving grace of Jesus Christ. Everything else is an issue of obedience to our Heavenly Father. Some things have been clearly spelled out as ways of being obedient (do not kill, do not steal, have no other gods, etc.), other issues are murkier (Saturday or Sunday Sabbath, method of Baptism, eating or not eating kosher, etc.) I personally believe that the issue of a woman covering her head while praying (and therefore while in Church) is clear. To be obedient to the Lord, a woman must do so. The Greek is clear.

You may disagree with me. I have no problem if you do. Out of a large congregation, my mother and I are the only ones to cover our heads. Many of the women are my friends. I feel no need to try to convince them (or you) otherwise. My example is all God asks of me. Beyond that, it is up to Him to stir their hearts.

The issue of daily covering the head or hair is a murkier issue. I do not believe the scriptures are clear on it. I do not feel God's call to practice it, though I have in the past. Partially I do not now since I am a widow.

There is the question of since a godly woman is known to pray outside Church and often spontaneously, shouldn't she therefore always be prepared by having her head covered? It is a very good question and one I wrestle with everyday.

As for the question of motives behind the actions, I certainly agree that what is in one's heart is more important. That is why I do not feel it (or any other act of obedience) is an issue of salvation. Only Christ and His grace can save us. The rest is us showing Him how much we love Him and want to please Him.

I am glad you enjoyed the links. I agree that no one style of covering should be required. If God wanted just one, He would have made that clear. He knows how women like to express themselves in their apperance. :D

~plantgirl

Thanks for your response Heather (plantgirl). I would definitely not argue with you about the issue of covering while praying. I suppose in my own mind, I wrestle and say, "But LORD, why didn't you say it more places or describe the practice more specifically in your Word?" In response to that, I have heard people say, "How many times does God have to say something in order for you to obey?" Ouch.

When I did cover all the time, I could see the wisdom in it aside from being covered at all times for praying - like not being so vain and caring about my hair and for modesty issues since I heard various men make comments about being "hair guys" so I became a little more conscious that my hair could be a problem for some men. But then I always thought of Mary washing Jesus' feet with her hair and figured that one act had to show us it wasn't so indecent for a woman to show her long hair in public.

Just some more of my thoughts on the topic!

Heather

I thought I would also post a list of my favorite links of places to get modern looking, attractive headcoverings. NOTE: Many of these sites sell coverings for women who cover all their hair. But look around and be open. You will find many coverings that look modern and stylish in any setting.

http://www.garlandsofgrace.com/ This is one of my favorite. Very pretty and the fabric headbands are so normal looking.
http://headcoverings-by-devorah.com/home.html Hats and kerchief style veils. I like the fabric snoods with bangs.
http://www.modestclothingpa.com/head_covering.htmlHats. My personal favorite (as well as my Mom's) are beret styles. Easy to wear for any hairstyle.
http://secure.cartsvr.net/catalogs/index.asp?category=300485 traditional style for Catholics
http://www.coveryourhair.com/ Berets, knit hats, expandable headbands and more
http://www.challahandhats.com/ Beautiful hats for summer or winter
http://www.halo-works.com/Catholic based styles, beautiful lace shawls from other countries. A must see!
http://www.tznius.com/cgi-bin/group.pl?id=52 lots of scarves and headbands
http://www.villagehatshop.com/index.html Largest hat shop online
http://www.headcoverings.com/ Lots of different styles as well as patterns for sewing your own
http://www.fmfcorp.com/familyspot/shopping.html#Headwear TONS of links
http://www.fmfcorp.com/familyspot/haircover.htmlCrafty?? Make your own. Tons of links on how-to

As I delve into the world of headcovering, I find this list very helpful and just want to say thanks to those who have gone before me. ♡

Just a few thoughts...
Being part of the "Hebraic camp", I've observed, read, and pondered this topic. While not dismissing the obvious, there is a slightly different take on the meaning of "covering" that I find interesting, and that is the covering of a woman by her "head", meaning father, husband, etc. Also, while I have quite a bit of interaction with different sects of Judaism, I find that most of the time those women that cover do so after marriage and only outside of the privacy of their own homes. It's more of a modesty issue among the Orthodox. Many Orthodox women wear wigs instead of cloth coverings. Do be honest, although I've heard the explanation, that will never make sense to me personally. In our Messianic assembly, we are mixed. Many women, married or not, do not cover their hair. Some do, especially if they were of the Anabaptist persuasion before coming to the Messianic walk. I never felt the need to cover, but think it is lovely when the married women do it. If my husband should ever become convicted and ask me to, I would in a heartbeat!

Back