• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

I suck at doing Sabbath

Mr.S

Male
Ok, here I am again, another week has flown by and it’s a beautiful sunny day out and I’ve got so much to do I can hardly figure out where to start. The kids are wanting to do this and that which means building and fixing stuff. The wife is busy with projects and needs help with this and that…you know how it goes. The property demands attention and I’ve got so much to fix and clean up. My motorcycle is calling as well. I definitely could use a ride on the bike…and this week is going to be busy. I should write this down before or forget that I need to do such and such a thing on Thursday… yadda, yadda.
…but God would prefer I sit on my butt and stair at the wind blowing thru the trees…or stair at the wall…contemplating holiness or something. Which just aggravates me to no end because then I just sit and think of more things that need to be done. Aka work.

obviously I’m screwing this whole thing up. it’s supposed to be good, not aggravating. I’m not trying to be ”holy”, just trying to figure out the basics. But just another decade later and I still haven’t figured it out. And I really am tired of just not giving a rip, because it still bothers me, so I obviously do care that I at some damn point in my life figure this whole Sabbath thing out. I cannot even reject it until I have done it properly and figured out if I want to keep at it. I honestly believe that if done right, it would be a net gain in my family’s life (and after life).

So I’m determined to figure this day out. If you got any input feel free to throw in.

I imagine you already know this but remember what the Lord said in Mark 2.
“The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath. Therefore the Son of Man is also Lord of the Sabbath.”

1. God gave it to mankind for our benefit.
2. It (along with all created things) specifically belongs to the Son of Man, the Lord Jesus Christ

Ok, here I am again, another week has flown by and it’s a beautiful sunny day out and I’ve got so much to do I can hardly figure out where to start. The kids are wanting to do this and that which means building and fixing stuff. The wife is busy with projects and needs help with this and that…you know how it goes. The property demands attention and I’ve got so much to fix and clean up. My motorcycle is calling as well. I definitely could use a ride on the bike…and this week is going to be busy. I should write this down before or forget that I need to do such and such a thing on Thursday… yadda, yadda.
…but God would prefer I sit on my butt and stair at the wind blowing thru the trees…or stair at the wall…contemplating holiness or something. Which just aggravates me to no end because then I just sit and think of more things that need to be done. Aka work.

obviously I’m screwing this whole thing up. it’s supposed to be good, not aggravating. I’m not trying to be ”holy”, just trying to figure out the basics. But just another decade later and I still haven’t figured it out. And I really am tired of just not giving a rip, because it still bothers me, so I obviously do care that I at some damn point in my life figure this whole Sabbath thing out. I cannot even reject it until I have done it properly and figured out if I want to keep at it. I honestly believe that if done right, it would be a net gain in my family’s life (and after life).

So I’m determined to figure this day out. If you got any input feel free to throw in.

Our rest is in Christ, not a specific day. It sounds like you need to rest from trying to keep the sabbath.

Our rest is in Christ, not a specific day. It sounds like you need to rest from trying to keep the sabbath.
Indeed I tried this too. After several years of being laxidazy Im not happy with the results. I want more from what God promised was for my benefit. I’ve always been unorganized and would like to have this one day figured out if not for my benefit than at least for my family. I see it as a means to get through the rest of the week and to put significance into living fully during the week. Im hint to receive the blessing that comes from succeeding over the flesh and distractions which keep me in a perpetual state of scattered hodgepodg. No to be stoic but to be solidly based. Ive seen it in other men and I am encouraged by it.

I also get that its not a specific day…it is, but also that some sabbath this day and others observe it on another day. “Someday never comes” are lyrics in a song which come to mind as weeks go by and I feel I never got it right.

I enjoy resting one day a week as well, I need it to be rested and rejuvenated. Personally I just pick whichever day is most convenient that weekend and rest on it. I wouldn’t worry about what you’re supposed to do or not do, just relax, play games with your family, teach them something from the Bible. As time goes on if you want it to be more structured add things in a bit at a time. Remember our Sabbath blessings come from resting in Christ’s finished work in the cross, not from keeping a physical day.

As Bartato said, the sabbath was made for man, if your stressing about it, you’re not doing it right 🙂

The sabbath is a Law. That means you have to be very legalistic about keeping it. You should expel the word “work” Fromm your thinking. Walking to the couch is technically work. Focus on what is forbidden and enjoy everything that is not.

A rule of thumb, and the is all this is, is that anything that has any physical benefit after that particular sabbath itself is probably prohibited. Most other things probably aren’t.

The sabbath is a Law. That means you have to be very legalistic about keeping it. You should expel the word “work” Fromm your thinking. Walking to the couch is technically work. Focus on what is forbidden and enjoy everything that is not.

A rule of thumb, and the is all this is, is that anything that has any physical benefit after that particular sabbath itself is probably prohibited. Most other things probably aren’t.
That is a brilliant way of looking at it @The Revolting Man, and I love your use of the term "very legalistic". It can be applied to every question very easily. On the farm, that means that feeding the animals is permitted (as it provides for their daily needs), but putting in a fence isn't (as it has a long-term benefit). Scripture does not clearly state such a division in those words exactly, but you've found an excellent summary which is in full conformity with everything Jesus said on it.

Back