• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

New Seeker

Froggie

I've been in a monogamous marriage for nearly 20 years. "Mr. Froggie" and I have two wonderful (nearly perfect) teenage sons. Parents could not ask for better sons. :D

Recently a co-worker of ours (we all work at the same place, in different departments, and on different shifts) offered to have me babysit her children on my evenings off, while she works the night shift, to help us out a little bit financially. She's also our neighbor, and a single mother of five children. (The children's father is in prison, for a felony assault charge) This poor woman is so overwhelmed and exhausted from the task of raising these children on her own. They range in age from 15, 10, 9, 6, and 5. The older four are all girls, and the "baby" is a boy. At least two of the girls have some hyperactivity/learning dysfunction/and developmental delays. They all require 100% eyeball supervision, 100% of the time, because they get into mischief if you take your eyes off of even one of them for just a minute! Seriously! But their mother works the night shift, and absolutely must sleep occasionally, lol!

So I have been babysitting the four younger children on the weekend nights while their mother works. I help them get ready for bed, and then treat them to a game at the kitchen table, and a bedtime story. They absolutely love it. Their poor mother simply does not have the time, energy, or patience to do any of this with them. I'm not judging her poorly, but rather, I have been touched with great empathy and compassion for her. I know she is tired and overwhelmed. Her children NEED another parent in their lives, even TWO more parents! And this neighbor NEEDS a helpmate, a best friend/confidant, and a partner(s).

And sooo.... I have had this nagging little idea forming in my head that maybe it would benefit all of us to consider a plural marriage, and have this neighbor/co-worker/friend merge her family with ours. The children would have an extra set of parents, and constant supervision. And she would get help with housework too, since she would have more time to herself (or with her children while I did the housework). And the monetary/material asset sharing would only be an extra side benefit to all the spiritual/emotional perks. (She makes more through her tips alone than my husband and I do by our combined hourly wages!)

But.... when I think about "sharing" my husband with another woman in the marital sense, I'm not sure I can handle it.

And... when I broach the idea with him, my husband has three responses: 1) Asks if marrying our friend would mean he had to sleep with her sometimes. 2) Insists he is not attracted to her in "that way." 3) Says her children would be way too much work, being as hyperactive as they are, and he does not want five more kids.

But this niggling idea just.... will..... not..... go away! I've been reading through this forum, and found it fascinating! I read and read for hours without end. I found the topics explaining how we must "visit the widows and orphans," and the Biblical definition of such ("husbandless and fatherless"), and I am struck by how much that description fits my neighbor, and it really strikes a chord with me.

Then this evening, I had a brief word with my husband--- not necessarily about the idea of plural marriage-- he merely related to me a recent conversation he had had with our friend at work (he works nights too, and I work days), and she had told him that her children absolutely LOVE me, and that I am the BEST babysitter they have EVER had. :oops: And then she went on to say that she herself loves us--- our whole family--- and that if she has to pay our power bill for us to keep us here, she would do so! :shock:

Needless to say, that little tidbit of conversation did nothing to help this "idea" go away! HELP! Advice? Counsel? I'm really stuck here!

Oh and one more question: Supposing Mr. Froggie and I decided this is indeed what the Lord wants us to do, and that it is right, how do we go about "courting" this other family? Just how does that kind of "courtship" work? :?:

Thanks.

Froggie said:
I've been in a monogamous marriage for nearly 20 years. "Mr. Froggie" and I have two wonderful (nearly perfect) teenage sons. Parents could not ask for better sons. :D

Recently a co-worker of ours (we all work at the same place, in different departments, and on different shifts) offered to have me babysit her children on my evenings off, while she works the night shift, to help us out a little bit financially. She's also our neighbor, and a single mother of five children. (The children's father is in prison, for a felony assault charge) This poor woman is so overwhelmed and exhausted from the task of raising these children on her own. They range in age from 15, 10, 9, 6, and 5. The older four are all girls, and the "baby" is a boy. At least two of the girls have some hyperactivity/learning dysfunction/and developmental delays. They all require 100% eyeball supervision, 100% of the time, because they get into mischief if you take your eyes off of even one of them for just a minute! Seriously! But their mother works the night shift, and absolutely must sleep occasionally, lol!

So I have been babysitting the four younger children on the weekend nights while their mother works. I help them get ready for bed, and then treat them to a game at the kitchen table, and a bedtime story. They absolutely love it. Their poor mother simply does not have the time, energy, or patience to do any of this with them. I'm not judging her poorly, but rather, I have been touched with great empathy and compassion for her. I know she is tired and overwhelmed. Her children NEED another parent in their lives, even TWO more parents! And this neighbor NEEDS a helpmate, a best friend/confidant, and a partner(s).

And sooo.... I have had this nagging little idea forming in my head that maybe it would benefit all of us to consider a plural marriage, and have this neighbor/co-worker/friend merge her family with ours. The children would have an extra set of parents, and constant supervision. And she would get help with housework too, since she would have more time to herself (or with her children while I did the housework). And the monetary/material asset sharing would only be an extra side benefit to all the spiritual/emotional perks. (She makes more through her tips alone than my husband and I do by our combined hourly wages!)

But.... when I think about "sharing" my husband with another woman in the marital sense, I'm not sure I can handle it.

And... when I broach the idea with him, my husband has three responses: 1) Asks if marrying our friend would mean he had to sleep with her sometimes. 2) Insists he is not attracted to her in "that way." 3) Says her children would be way too much work, being as hyperactive as they are, and he does not want five more kids.

But this niggling idea just.... will..... not..... go away! I've been reading through this forum, and found it fascinating! I read and read for hours without end. I found the topics explaining how we must "visit the widows and orphans," and the Biblical definition of such ("husbandless and fatherless"), and I am struck by how much that description fits my neighbor, and it really strikes a chord with me.

Then this evening, I had a brief word with my husband--- not necessarily about the idea of plural marriage-- he merely related to me a recent conversation he had had with our friend at work (he works nights too, and I work days), and she had told him that her children absolutely LOVE me, and that I am the BEST babysitter they have EVER had. :oops: And then she went on to say that she herself loves us--- our whole family--- and that if she has to pay our power bill for us to keep us here, she would do so! :shock:

Needless to say, that little tidbit of conversation did nothing to help this "idea" go away! HELP! Advice? Counsel? I'm really stuck here!

Oh and one more question: Supposing Mr. Froggie and I decided this is indeed what the Lord wants us to do, and that it is right, how do we go about "courting" this other family? Just how does that kind of "courtship" work? :?:

Thanks.

The first consideration should be those children's father. Even if he is in prison, he has the right to those children. Is he the father of all five children? If so, I think that woman should remain with that man, just wait for him to come out of prison. You don't want to take another man's woman as a sister wife, unless that man completely forsakes his family, or dies. The preservation of THAT family should be a primary goal. To take that woman while the husband is still living, and has not totally dumped the woman, would not be something the Bible would recommend.

The Bible says that if she separates, let her be reconciled, or remain single. Now if she is dumped, by an unbeliever, she's not under bondage.

They are divorced. The firstborn daughter does have a different father, who abandoned them shortly after her birth, "because he did not want children." The mother later remarried, but the husband was abusive to the family, so they divorced. He was supposed to have a visitation with the children recently, but instead sent a letter explaining he would not be able to make it because he was in prison for assault. So there's that.

Just my humble opinion, but if my children's father was serving time in prison for assault--- especially after a divorce due to abuse--- I would be petitioning to get his parental rights severed, and deny him any further access to the children, ever. But maybe that's just me. :?:

David777 said:

It doesn't appear that your husband is interested in this woman.

Froggie said:
And sooo.... I have had this nagging little idea forming in my head that maybe it would benefit all of us to consider a plural marriage, and have this neighbor/co-worker/friend merge her family with ours.

Based on your post, this seems to be your idea. IMHO, your husband needs to be the one leading this decision. Does this single mother know about your beliefs and that you're interested in her joining your family?

Froogie, I have no practical experience with being in a PM, so take whatever I say with a grain of salt. We did try to court a woman, but that was a whole different scenario than yours.

Most of the folks on here suggest taking things slowly. If you really want to help her, than do what you are already doing. That is part of courting her, I think. :) Showing that you really do love her is what it is about, I think.

If your husband doesn't want to take her as a wife, then I wouldn't bring it up with her. Then you might be setting her up to be hurt if he does something like that and can't give her the love she needs. She might end up feeling like Leah from the Bible. That would end up being worse than just helping her as she is now.

Now, if your husband, over time, decides that he likes her enough to take her as a wife, then it might be worth bringing up with her. But remember that being in a PM might be just as hard on her as you (and perhaps even harder on her). She has had men treat her badly all her life and had them not love her, use her and then leave her. Don't set up your husband to be the next one to make her feel that way. He really has to be totally on board with loving her like a wife. But, that will make it harder for you. So, take it slow. Let the Lord lead the hearts involved and for now, just help her and love her like you are doing.

My 2 cents :)

Diener said:
Most of the folks on here suggest taking things slowly. If you really want to help her, than do what you are already doing. That is part of courting her, I think. :) Showing that you really do love her is what it is about, I think.
WELL SAID

your husband just might be the frog-in-the-pot-of-water in this story. (interesting name that you chose ;) )
let the Lord speak to him and lead him and, whatever happens, enjoy life!

I concur with what was said above (from your response on down).

No hurry. You've planted a seed in your husband. You may water it at some point by telling him that it was a serious suggestion, not a probing insinuation. And you may pray about it a lot, of course. God knows what is best, and can heckle all involved with the idea better than you can! *grin*

Also, nothing I can think of to prohibit you from going over and doing some housecleaning or laundry while she's at work, even now, right? Or have a casserole in her oven when she gets home from work?

I think you are doing such a lovely, kind thing trying to help ehr out, but if your husband is not interested, he isn't interested. The last time a woman tried to 'force' a man into that sort of situation her husband left her for the new lady. Nothing good comes out of force, just do what you are doing without any sense of expectation.

B

Thank you so much, everyone! Deiner, your response was the most helpful of all. :D And Cecil, your response was right up there. :D You folks really helped me put it all in perspective, and keep a clear head about things. I think I may drop by after school and "kidnap" the children for a walk with my dogs today--- provided the weather doesn't turn nasty--- I wouldn't want the children out in the hills with me if it's blizzarding! :!:

And yes, a "seed" has been planted indeed. Only time can tell now. ;) Thank you again, y'all. :)

Froggie said:
Thank you so much, everyone! Deiner, your response was the most helpful of all. :D And Cecil, your response was right up there. :D You folks really helped me put it all in perspective, and keep a clear head about things. I think I may drop by after school and "kidnap" the children for a walk with my dogs today--- provided the weather doesn't turn nasty--- I wouldn't want the children out in the hills with me if it's blizzarding! :!:

And yes, a "seed" has been planted indeed. Only time can tell now. ;) Thank you again, y'all. :)

But it's nice that you are open to the idea. It would certainly benefit this lady to have a caring, protective, financially able husband. But those are all taken (as they say) specially at her age range. So polygamy is a good solution. Preach it please! I monogamy is my goal, but I totally think polygamy is perfectly ok. Preach it in your church, help the cause! polygamy is more for women's sake than for men's sake. Also maybe you can take those girls to church or study the Bible they are old enough dont let them get wasted in the world and all beat up by this evil society in which we live help them get close to God...

I don't mean to be judgemental, about you wanting your husband to have another wife, I also think its very nice of you to try to help this lady... I think if her ex completely throws the towel, then maybe another man can come, but I think all efforts should be spent towards reconciliation. There are many girls out there who need help. I don't know. Is this woman now having sporadic relationships? like, sleeping here and there with this or that man? Or being abstinent since her last man?

God bless

These posts are why I share my life. Even though this is not my post, thank you for what you are saying in response to it. Not only does it help Froggie, but it also helps me too!

Sarah,

That is what the forums are for...to help one another as they deal with the life transformation regarding our viewpoint on marriage.

Froggie, great work....just continue to show the love of Christ. Whether the lady and her children ever become part of you and your husband's family, she will know someone showed the love of Jesus to her and the kids.

Blessings

Doc

Thanks again, everyone. Honestly, my new friend has shown far more Christian love to me and my family than we can fathom, and she was the first to reach out to us! She recently mentioned how much she loves me, my husband, and our children, yet we can't figure out what we've done to make her love us so much! :lol:

BTW, they are Christians; I saw the four younger children off on the church bus this morning, after taking care of them all night while their mother worked. (They sure tried my patience this morning; little girls can cause sooo much drama, and from such a young age, lol!)

The other day I happened to have the same day off as my friend, so I decided to have some "girlfriend time" with her while the kids were at school. She was trying to get some housecleaning done so she could pay some quality time with the children after school, so she didn't want to come dog walking with me. After my walk, I went over to just visit with her awhile. While there, one of the local churches came by with a large grocery order for her family. While my friend was putting the groceries away, she began loading empty grocery bags with things for me, claiming she had plenty. When I tried to graciously refuse, she countered in her fake mean tone, "Are you arguing with me?" (LOL, "No Ma'am!") She then told me I'd better not, or she'd have to beat me, lol.

So here my husband and I are shaking our heads at this woman's overwhelming kindness to us, when she is the one who seems to have so little to give in the first place. Every time we try to repay her kindness, she just keeps blessing us all the more. :shock:

Again, only time will tell how our relationship evolves. Step one is cultivating a deep and lasting friendship. :cool:

Hello again, Everyone! As of the last post, I have a brand new update! :D Mr. Froggie and I had some time to really talk about "this and that" today before he went to bed, and one of the topics up for discussion was our new friend. He mentioned that our new friend--- let's give her a name; how about "Ruth?"--- has become one of his closest friends; indeed, his "best friend" that is a woman, other than myself! :D And that although he is not in the least bit sexually attracted to her, he can honestly say he "loves" her, with a genuine Christian love. And he would not mind fulfilling the role of a father figure to her children! And he totally agrees with the Biblical premise of "visiting the widows and orphans," and fully understands the connotations of that directive. :cool: And.... he came up with idea of inviting "Ruth" to join our family for Thanksgiving, and combine our menus, and our families together for mutual fellowship and celebration, since we all just happen to have that day off. :cool: And he said that last night at work, he and "Ruth" got to visit a few minutes, and he told her that she has shown us such overwhelming kindness, if there is ANYTHING we can do to help her, or reciprocate, to please let us know.

So... after our talk today, it has been agreed that we will both make a more concentrated effort to show "Ruth" and her children true Christian friendship, to welcome them into our family activities whenever practical, and just see where the Lord takes us, with no set "destination" or time line in mind. :cool:

I'm so happy and excited about this new adventure! :D

Froggie,
May I recommend that at sometime in the not too distant future, that you and Mr. Froggie give some indication to Ruth of your intentions. If you don't, the very real possibility exists that she will revel in the warm security of a fraternal friendship and be shocked when your interests of a unified family include marital status with the husband. It is quite possible that she will feel deceived and used if she is not brought into the idea early on. The result then would likely be heartache and estrangement for all of you. Avoid the pain, gently suggest to her the possibility you all are considering and let her become a part of the process.

Agreed. Next time "Ruth" and I have time to just visit, I will ask her what she thinks about plural marriage-- from a conversational stance, and perhaps even reveal what my heart has been leading me to consider--- By the same token, I don't want to "lead her on," in hopes of gaining a new marriage and family combination, if it does not work out--- I don't want to break HER heart either, know what I mean? I do know she is lonely, and is looking for a helpmate. But what man in his "right mind" wants to take on a woman with five hyperactive children? :shock:

For now, we are just cultivating a friendship between our two families, and see where it goes. :cool:

Froggie,

You make me laugh and I want to give you a big hug! As a former single mom myself, I can say from experience that the kindness of the Body of Christ was what got me through, and my heart is warmed by watching you grow in your understanding of plural marriage as well as your practical help for this family. My scene was 20 years ago, and plural marriage wasn't exactly an option back then, but I sure do understand what she is going through.

Everything that has already been said is soooo wise, and I am not sure that I have even a farthing of further help, but, for what it's worth, timing is everything. So often we'll get the "data and download" about a situation and then forget to pray about the timing re: "going there." I agree that you need to let her know your intentions, but don't let a gulp and a quickly beating heart be your guide, but seek God in prayer as to when you should do so. She might not be ready to hear yet, and she may be, only God knows. Ask Him for wisdom, and He will give it liberally. And, He'll do it without making you feel like a doofus because you and your husband are just tip toe-ing into this understanding yourself, even as you are wanting to help. You guys absolutely rock!

You have made my day on this rainy Sunday, girl! ;)

Back