• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Non-western women

Like anywhere else, it depends where you want to live and how you define 'comfortably'. In a city like Manila, it's expensive but out in the provinces life is simpler and less expensive. If you want to have air con in your house, drive a car, etc., costs will add up quickly. Check out some of the YouTube videos and you'll get some good indications. Cheers.

Thank you so much for your un-edited non short story brother Don. :) And congratulations on having some live ammunition in that there shooter of yours :oops: ;)
The live ammunition is another story. In short, well, it's not short, I mean, well, you know what I mean. To be concise, I got a vasectomy when I was 23 in my disco Don polyester years. I got it reversed by the best vasectomy reversal surgeon in the whole world, Doctor Sherman Silber in St. Louis, when I sold my insurance agency in 1998. He can make anyone give birth, men or women, regardless of age. Anyway, he uses a technique where he connects the large tube, let's call it the viaduct coming from the water tank, to the small tube, let's call it the pipe that connects to the faucet. So when I open the faucet I believe there are more swimmers there than there were before I got the vasectomy in the first place. 1 week honeymoon in Hong Kong. Pregnant. One week on the rhythm method. Pregnant. It helps that my bride is young and fertile but Dr. Silber can make any woman pregnant by her man's sperm. I'm not kidding. Go to his website. http://www.infertile.com And if you're getting a reversal, you'll be knocked out cold. There's no other way to do it.

Dr. Silber told me that Jewish mothers don't consider the fetus viable until it completes its residency or passes the bar.

Thank you for the field report. Your experiences seem very similar to what Hondo Solomon was telling me as well.

I am just curious. About how much would one need in income to live comfortably there?
Rock Bottom Cost
Rent - $160 plus
Water - $12 plus
Electricity - $90 plus
Internet - $60 or less
Visa Renewals $35 per month budgeted
Bride's family $100 per month varies
Family outings! $100 per month Remember, you pay for all of this.
Food & Household without muzzling your bride and one child $450
Doctor if healthy $50 budgeted per family.
----------------------------------------------
$957

I'm living on less than this with about $157 in items not mentioned above so if you very uncomfortably tighten your belt you can live for $800 but it's not pleasant. That's for one bride and one child. If I were living in my home and the 170 monthly were finally done away with I'd be doing great. In other words, if you have no rent, that extra money goes a long way so $1000 plus what you pay a month in rent is comfortable for a family of three. Add $200 a month per additional child and $300 a month per teen and $450 a month per bride & 1 child.

Three brides and seven pre-teen kids:
including first bride & kid
450 bride & kid
450 bride & kid
200 kid
200 kid
200 kid
200 kid
---------------------------
$2700
PLUS - Rent Or Home Payments

It's a good idea to own some kind of residence so that you never need to worry about that rent.

I'm 90 percent deaf or I'd be going to Korea to earn extra money once in a while. As it is I might bounce back to the U.S. for two months annually just to keep safe.

If you have a legal Philippine bride. That's another string I'll have to start.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the field report. Your experiences seem very similar to what Hondo Solomon was telling me as well.

I am just curious. About how much would one need in income to live comfortably there?
Figure $270 per person in your household plus rent and you'll be reasonably comfortable including aircon that's taking into account a minimum of three people in your household because there are certain expenses such as Rent, Internet & Electricity that don't go down regardless of how small the family.

Also as my second wife will attest, Korean babes are hot ;)
Well, there's the song, "Why can't a woman be more like a man" but my song would be "Why can't a woman...." You fill in the blanks as I can't explain the way of a man with a woman any more than wise King Solomon could.

Here's a real world cost situation to give you an example. We had a plumbing problem in the house here yesterday. Called a friend who recommended a plumber and he came to fix the problem. He had to go and get bits part way through the job. Came back, finished the job and it cost us the equivalent of US $20.00 all up.
Hope that gives you an idea of costs here.

Here's a real world cost situation to give you an example. We had a plumbing problem in the house here yesterday. Called a friend who recommended a plumber and he came to fix the problem. He had to go and get bits part way through the job. Came back, finished the job and it cost us the equivalent of US $20.00 all up.
Figure $270 per person in your household plus rent and you'll be reasonably comfortable including aircon that's taking into account a minimum of three people in your household because there are certain expenses such as Rent, Internet & Electricity that don't go down regardless of how small the family.
I might of missed it but did y'all tell them the laws about owning property such as foreigners may own real estate property in the Philippines, but they are not allowed to buy and own land. Foreign ownership of property in the Philippines is not absolute and subject to restrictions. Non-Filipinos may purchase and own condominiums built on Philippine soil. But non Philippine citizens cannot inherit the property. Any land bought has to be in a citizen's name. I have friends from Albuquerque, Bohol and we help support an orphanage there. Before poly was a thought we felt called to the Philippines. Every trip for ministry work kept falling through at the last moment. We had plans to move there @IshChayil was helping us with details. Doors closed we made other plans to move that fell through, sat still and waited but now several doors are opening, one that could lead us to the Philippines. I got an interesting proposition recently about church planting there, also one to take over a church in Texas because the pastor and his wife are moving to the Philippines. So who knows.

Last edited:
If there's anything that an American must learn in the Philippines it's plumbing. The plumbers here are probably the highest paid skilled workers in the country. Labor here is $7.50 a day unskilled and $9.00 a day unskilled. Plumbers in some areas of the country will charge three and four times that. Frederick lives somewhere that you can still get bargain pricing on plumbers and twenty bucks for a plumber who would nearly always arrive with a helper is a bargain because they'll charge as if it's a whole day job when they come out. It's different wherever you are in the Philippines. Don't get me wrong, I wish all workers had higher wages but if there is a shortage in your area, expect to pay much much more.

I might of missed it but did y'all tell them the laws about owning property such as foreigners may own real estate property in the Philippines, but they are not allowed to buy and own land. Foreign ownership of property in the Philippines is not absolute and subject to restrictions. Non-Filipinos may purchase and own condominiums built on Philippine soil. But non Philippine citizens cannot inherit the property. Any land bought has to be in a citizen's name. I have friends from Albuquerque, Bohol and we help support an orphanage there. Before poly was a thought we felt called to the Philippines. Every trip for ministry work kept falling through at the last moment. We had plans to move there @IshChayil was helping us with details. Doors closed we made other plans to move that fell through, sat still and waited but now several doors are opening, one that could lead us to the Philippines. I got an interesting proposition recently about church planting there, also one to take over a church in the Waco area because the pastor and his wife are moving to the Philippines. So who knows.
I ain't tellin em nothin. Haha! No, we didn't tell them. You can own a home but not the land on which the home is built. I'm not sure how this affects those who would build their home to every corner of their tiny property. I mean, what good is the property to the owner if the huge concrete home is owned by someone else? But, in my case, I am legally to have that home conveyed to me and the way I will do it is to put the property in my children's names and lease the land from them renewable up to 75 years. I don't think I'll make it past 55 more years since God set a limit. There's other weird stuff that can be done.

It seems that non-western women = Filipinas and that somehow real estate goes hand in hand with Filipinas. If the originator of this thread thinks it appropriate, maybe the two should be combined. "Non-western women, Property, & Assets)

I might of missed it but did y'all tell them the laws about owning property such as foreigners may own real estate property in the Philippines, but they are not allowed to buy and own land. Foreign ownership of property in the Philippines is not absolute and subject to restrictions. Non-Filipinos may purchase and own condominiums built on Philippine soil. But non Philippine citizens cannot inherit the property. Any land bought has to be in a citizen's name. I have friends from Albuquerque, Bohol and we help support an orphanage there. Before poly was a thought we felt called to the Philippines. Every trip for ministry work kept falling through at the last moment. We had plans to move there @IshChayil was helping us with details. Doors closed we made other plans to move that fell through, sat still and waited but now several doors are opening, one that could lead us to the Philippines. I got an interesting proposition recently about church planting there, also one to take over a church in Texas because the pastor and his wife are moving to the Philippines. So who knows.
I'm really leaning toward beautiful native houses where four of them can be placed in a square facing the center upon a huge concrete slab. Look at this cool house for less than $6000 bucks! It's just 30 minutes from my place and I'm thinking about putting that on my fourth floor.40457804_1869641713125307_1186182809383862272_n.jpg

The house in the picture is 400 square feet complete with two bedrooms, a kitchen cabinet with hole for sink, built in furniture and they last over 20 years. Four surrounding a square would be 1600 square feet, each one private and cool because of the type of walls.

@frederick .. thanks for the plumber example lol I literally just handed a plumber $150 before coming to work tonight :mad:
Apparently plumbers are the same everywhere, a sliding scale. Slide that money in my wallet. It's weird, he just had a plumber thing and so did we here which was just fixed today and so did you. Three events. That makes it certain. We must all become proficient at plumbing. I can do most things myself and I'm capable of overseeing a non-plumber to make sure that he plumbs right so that's how I save on it.

Apparently plumbers are the same everywhere, a sliding scale. Slide that money in my wallet. It's weird, he just had a plumber thing and so did we here which was just fixed today and so did you. Three events. That makes it certain. We must all become proficient at plumbing. I can do most things myself and I'm capable of overseeing a non-plumber to make sure that he plumbs right so that's how I save on it.
I resemble that remark I use to own a plumbing company.

In that case, can I have a loan?
That was a minute ago and I wish I could talk to me then. Id give a course correction on a couple things and ask myself for a loan.

So back to real life. I went into town today for the first walk around since arriving to Pagadian from Cagayan de Oro also known as CDO. CDO is like Antarctica compared with the warmth of Pagadian. I was being watched by young women pretty much non-stop so that's well over 100 very long glances, more like mini-stalking from afar. Of course not all of them would have been interested in me as a husband, I didn't see one foreigner today so that explains part of it, but when I got in the tricycle coming home, the most gorgeous woman I've seen in the last six months got into the trike beside me. I am not kidding, the smooth unmarked skin, almond eyes that couldn't have known of their beauty but gave no hint of conceit, lips that should have been thin to fit her face but were full or might I say ripe, she was thin yet filled up her blouse and jeans with fertility as if she simply poured herself into them each morning. Her nose like most here in Pagadian was like she'd had a mini-hollywood nose job, finely chiseled but not large. Everyone getting into the tricycle was very friendly talking to me, "Oh you speak tagalog." "He speaks tagalog." Super friendly. So as I said this girl, probably 22 is sitting in the back seat of the tricycle next to me. Looks exactly like my next bride. The trikes hold two in front, two in back, no not brides, passengers, and one person sits on the motorcycle behind the driver. I couldn't help it, I had to tell her she was beautiful and to see if I would ever meet her again but I'm 90 percent deaf so sometimes it's not wise to converse, even if it's an important topic like extree wives. I'll see how long it take for youse guys to tire of that. Anyway, I said where I needed to go at the point that I thought we might have passed my place but we hadn't. Since I wasn't quite sure of where to get off she says, "Are you new here?" I said, "I just arrived." Then she said, she's speaking in tagalog because she heard me speaking it already, she says, translated, "Did anyone accompany you?" I said, "My wife. I have only one wife. It's possible for me to have one more." But that phrase actually means something between one more and another. Then she watched as I was quickly trying to type on that small smart phone with my long fingers. I typed my email address. I repeated it out loud to her and then she repeated it back but that wasn't enough for her. She snapped a picture of it. So stay tuned for our next episode of "The Smiles of Pagadian." Stay tuned.

Back