• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

peace...

steve

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
Peace is worth fighting for.
can anyone get their head around this statement?

Not a problem!

Is 53, I think, "and let the captives go free, and that you break every yoke..."

Oppressors oppress. Submission to oppression <> peace. Same with demonic rebellion to appropriate authority appropriately used. Rebels rebel.

Peace is achieved when the oppressors are themselves cast down or out.

Their NOT Gentlemen, or they would not be oppressors in the first place. They do not go peacably.

A scrap is required.

I respectfully disagree. On tonight of all nights, we might wish to understand how peace may accomplish more than war. Even taking a moment to reflect on who exactly the oppressors may be, and the best methods to succeed against them now and in the future could prove to be the most efficient use of our efforts.

God Bless every single American on foreign soil tonight. My grandson is on his R&R from Afghanistan until Tuesday, thankfully spending Christmas with his wife and little son, but then he will return to spend 4 more months there before returning to his home base in Alaska. I am proud of the long line of men in my family that have served in the military. I was a military wife for seven years. That does not mean I need to acquiesce to every political whim for war. Or that I cannot question why my son’s blood might be needed to pay for state dinners where my leaders that sent him to war, break bread with the oppressors themselves.

There are many ways to fight for Peace, and rattling swords never seemed to be the first choice of the babe whose birth we celebrate this season. It may sometimes be the final necessary choice, but only after all others have failed.

Yes, I have read and worked at understanding the OT, and how God used human wars for his purpose. But I do also believe that course was meant to change by the teachings of the Gospel. Although I am not wise enough to interpret Revelations, I tend to feel strongly those battles will be under the direction of a wiser General than those afforded us today.

God Bless,
Pat

please forgive me for not identifying the arena in which i was contemplating peace.
not on a global stage, but within the family.

as a (budding?) patriarch, do you work for, strive for, fight for peace? is it something that you are willing to pursue?
or is it peace-through-compromise?
peace-through-appeasement?
is it something that you pray will fall from heaven upon your family?

steve said:
as a (budding?) patriarch, do you work for, strive for, fight for peace? is it something that you are willing to pursue?
or is it peace-through-compromise?
peace-through-appeasement?
is it something that you pray will fall from heaven upon your family?
Hmmm. It seems that this is a question to which the following proverb aptly applies...

Pray as though it all depends on God, but work as though it all depends on me.

My apologies, with my grandson at the table, we have had some serious discussions about the purpose of his time spent in Afghanistan. I took the comments here as though painted with that broad stoke.
Taken within the family unit, I can only state what I prefer and strive for. I am in complete agreement that peace should be the goal, and inside the family that will usually depend on the leader.

inside the family that will usually depend on the leader.
so true :!:

other questions;
is peace a cessation of hostilities or is it a blessed state of relationship which is comfortable, supportive, and empowering?

steve said:
inside the family that will usually depend on the leader.
so true :!:

other questions;
is peace a cessation of hostilities or is it a blessed state of relationship which is comfortable, supportive, and empowering?

Truce: A respite from a disagreeable state of affairs.

While even a short truce can be a blessing, the stress of knowing that disagreements will resume can make happiness disappear.

True Peace can only be achieved by the hard work it takes to reach a "blessed state of relationship which is comfortable, supportive, and empowering" for all parties to that relationship.

Back