• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Polygyny friendly neighborhood

Hugh McBryde said:
Live where ever you want, two weeks a year does not a "compound" make.
What would you call it, a Vacation City? In the long run that would probably be the best idea anyway.
Any other way I imagine you would run into the "too many chiefs" situation quite quickly. :)

Ha ha.. not quite.
Vacation not Vatican
No popes please.

But Hugh might be on to something. RV city for the plural minded. I have thought about buying an RV, but never had a really good reason till now.

Or, you could just rent one for two weeks :)

The point is, in Montana at least, I've seen privately owned RV pads. They could be legal residences, all the have to be, is occupied for one or two weeks (I don't know the length of time) to establish residency. For instance, my parents filed for taxes in Florida but lived in Colorado most of the year. They went back to Florida for residency for the last two weeks of December, every year.

Hugh McBryde said:
Revgill87123 said:
If some one here on BF bought a plot of land to start a community for like minded families, would you move there? I mean if it's like minded people who are into PM not so much a religious deal."
I've thought for a while that buying a lot of land in a state with wide open spaces and a small population would be the best course of action.

You wouldn't even have to live there year round, but you could register to vote there, and establish residency there which would require visiting for one or two weeks a year. That could be the "Biblical Families Retreat" or some other organization.

A for instance. In Petroleum County Montana, there are such bustling burgs as "Cat Creek," "Mosby" and the county seat, "Winnett." The population is less than 500 for the whole county and recently a whole (huge) ranch was sold there for cheap money. It's one of the few places in the world where raw acreage is dirt cheap.

Such a "community" would allow for the take over of county services through elective office, and so on. There is more than one county with such attractive "low population" in Montana, and there are similar places in Wyoming for instance. Petroleum though, is the county with the tiniest population.

Hi Hugh,

Montana happens to be one of the eleven "common-law marriage" states, where a polygamist could be prosecuted even if he didn't apply for a marriage certificate with the state.

A much better state, I think, is Oregon, where there is not only natural beauty, but has some of the best areas for self-sufficiency in the United States. Plus it is NOT a common-law marriage state. Montana and Wyoming, for instance, are rather barren for the most part, and self-sufficiency would be considerably more difficult.

We've had an area in mind for several years. While the land is not inexpensive, the natural resources are abundant, the growing season is long, the weather is mild, the population is low (in the area we are at), and "civilization" is less than an hour's drive away. Land is a bit spendy sometimes, but a non-profit ministry wouldn't have to pay land taxes, and others could purchase land surrounding that ministry and form an open community.

John for Christ

Hugh McBryde said:
welltan said:
The idea about finding a low poplulation area and then help elect favorable politicians I had not thought of. Very few people can live off of open land."
This was tried (I'm not the first to think of it) in "Loving" county Texas. There are other groups that have thought of it as well. The idea is not to "live off the land" but to establish residency and "officially" and legally live there.

Say for instance that you built a "RV" park with "pads" owned by various tenants. Every summer a "Biblical Families" retreat is held there for two weeks. The owners of the various "pads" do things to document their official stay, and they all vote (probably by absentee ballot) in local elections. They're on the property tax rolls, everything is legal, all requirements are met. Those folks then go back to where they came from the rest of the time and conduct their lives NORMALLY from their "other homes."

If 200 voters registered in Petroleum county Montana, or Arthur county Nebraska, the effect is they would own local government. This then becomes a base of operations, it would also ultimately supply jobs to some of the members of the group. I daresay you would own the "Dog Catcher" race, along with the "Justice of the Peace" and the local Sheriff, providing they are elective offices. Chances are good you could begin to inhabit county jobs like "ClerK" and DMV positions as well.

I've thought this through by the way :)

Hi Hugh,

One thing you have to be really careful about is the appearance of collusion to take over elected offices. That happened in Oregon with the Rashneeshi (I'm sure I spelled that wrong), and he and his followers had criminal charges filed. However, they may have tried to illegally influence the election and force people out of office and things like that. I don't really know. Still, I would not speak in terms of "owning" the local government, but rather in terms of a desire to be involved with people that were positive towards our beliefs. Also, you have to be careful about offending the existing population by bringing in tons of "foreigners" and taking over the government. It could cause no end of trouble.

I agree with you on the idea, but the implementation and the way we handle such a thing makes a big difference. For instance, just the messages we type on these groups could be used against us in the future, if a case were ever brought.

I happen to be an extremely paranoid person--because I know they are out to get me. :D

John for Christ

Hugh McBryde said:
It could be anywhere, the second smallest county by population is in Hawaii, it's a leper colony with only 20 remaining members. I don't know if anyone can move there or if the state plans to absorb it when it's last few members pass on. The smallest county is in Texas, the aforementioned "Loving" county, but we know how Texas can be.

There is a larger county of about 600 residents with the smallest county seat in the USA, in North Dakota. I was thinking in terms of a balance between central (ish) location, possible attractiveness (things to do), county size and overall state population. That makes Montana the winner. If you discount "things to do" then North Dakota is the possible winner. If you drop "central (ish) location," there is a small county/township in Alaska with less than 1000 people on the pacific coast panhandle.

There are about three or four counties of the right size in Central Nebraska, but the state is fairly large for overall population.

Hi Hugh,

Sorry about replying only to you. Yours were the only messages that "struck a chord" with me to answer so far...

Texas is also one of those eleven "common-law marriage" states. Bad idea for polygamy if you want to avoid criminal charges, even though they seem unlikely.

Another thing is that I don't think it would be necessarily desirable to focus on a small county to take over their government by legal means or any means. That will only focus unfavorable attention on Christian polygamy. Better, I think, would be to be part of a normal county or two, and slowly encourage like-minded people (or even friendly people) to run for office. Eventually, more and more would get in, and less of a ruckus would be caused, when they ran the county well like any other person. There would be less of the stink of cultishness or organized crime in the eyes of the public, when the non-poly-friendly population became okay with their leaders.

John for Christ

sweetlissa said:
I don't want a poly community. But I would like to live close enough to others that we could spend time together. Right now I am lucky in a way. We live an hour's drive from two other practicing poly families. We are able to worship together, learn together and fellowship together. This is an amazing feat of God's grace. But I want to be closer to them, so that we can spend more time together. I would love nothing better than to be able to have the women over for lunch and to be able to just "hang" together.

That is one of the amazing things about the retreats. We all hang together and talk and share and we are almost always blessed to grow in our friendships.

But the "community thing" screams of compound to my way of thinking. I am not interested in living in a "point of interest."

SweetLissa

Hi SweetLissa,

I'm in agreement with you for the most part. My view is more a community built around Godly principles--without excluding unbelievers--that was completely open to the world, with nothing to hide. In that regard, I view more that we would inhabit a small, existing town that needed population and some people would be polygamists, some would be poly-friendly but not polygamists or having any desire to be so, some might even be anti-polygamy though not rabidly, and some might be unbelievers of many persuasions.

If we start a closed or even semi-closed group, where outsiders are looked at with suspicion, or are persecuted (even lightly) for not believing the same way, then all we will do is make ourselves distasteful to the world, losing our opportunity to minister Christ's love to them. Such things frequently lead to cults.

Just having a significant population of polygamists or poly-friendly people in the same area would help greatly in reducing the fear of such a thing to the public--IF it is handled with decorum, openness, friendliness, etc.

John for Christ

Well John that's why I said it would'nt be religious. There are way too many different religious cultures to have a religious compound. I was talking about just buying up enough land for at least 50 plural families to live. I mentioned stores and so forth as a way to bring money and people into the community. I would rather have a community just out side of the city cause then we aren't closed off to the public. People can have different churches to suit their religious beliefs with other like minded people. I don't really wanna run for office. Good idea though for some one in a small town. I was talking about ouside of here cause there are plenty of resources. I just wanna be around other like minded people that isn't FLDS. We have a TLC coumpound in Tijeras. No one bothers them. I would like to have the same thing a community where people who live like I do can live. I still plan on doing it. I am just asking for any one else interested just to let me know.

john, you saved me a lot of writing. i was thinking along the same lines

hugh, the part-time thing does not attract me although adding an old-time "camp-meeting" style campground to a community of believers seems like it could serve well

gill, some good thoughts there. i have been thinking along those lines for some time. i think in terms of separate clans (families) living within walking distance and being primarily autonomous but also somewhat interdependent. we can't financially do anything about it at this point, though

The reason the FLDS made the UEP trust, is that there will be no "polygamy/polygyny" friendly community as long as it's not legal. Neighbors don't leave well enough alone, that's all there is to it.

As far as Montana being a danger to polygynists because it is a "common law" marriage state, there is a polygyny community south of Missoula Montana, and the state doesn't bother them.

This discussion has started to remind me quite a bit of the "Free State Project", which has been a major item of discussion among libertarian political circles for several years. (I have no doubt that most of them would be quite polygyny-friendly as well; it goes with the territory! ;) )

The bottom line there was a geographic split. Westerners greatly preferred Wyoming as the eventual choice, easterners went for New Hampshire. (A web search will turn up VOLUMES of information.) A book by "Boston T. Party" (pen name for Ken Royce) called Molon Labe' describes many of the considerations and aspirations for the movement. His discussion site, and others, still exist, and describe not only the specifics of locations, but demographics, move plans, and so on. Some of the blogs are places like these:

http://www.freestatewyoming.org
http://www.freestatewyoming.org/btps-fr ... oming.html
http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fs ... pic=3863.0

There are way too many different religious cultures to have a religious compound. I was talking about just buying up enough land for at least 50 plural families to live. I mentioned stores and so forth as a way to bring money and people into the community.

Other options exist. My own family has been looking into such considerations for quite a number of years.

For example, there are a number of very large, and famously vacant, developments on attractive "view" properties in southern Colorado (and doubtless elsewhere, including Wyoming -- although those are generally colder) which might qualify. Perhaps the most famous of these was initiated by the Forbes family several decades ago, in the San Luis Valley. Many of the parcels were never sold, only a few have been built out, and doubtless hundreds are still available - situated in proximity to one another, but nevertheless scattered over tens of thousands of acres. (Most of the properties are west of the La Veta Pass area; there are several names, but the keyword "forbes" should suffice for a search. Some parts will have utilities, many could have wells as well, but others remain very much "off the grid".)

During a depression, I am sure those looking to sell would find discouraged individuals (or heirs) anxious to hear virtually ANY offers. I have no doubt that there are contractors anxious for work as well. Other properties (including at least one 12,000+ acre development with an airstrip, which attracted my attention) are only a few miles away, as are a number of larger, very productive, farms, and other options.

This particular area is beautiful, but still fairly sparsely populated. Ringed by mountains, it offers good isolation from huge metro areas which may represent a significant liability in the event of societal breakdown, as well as some moderation from major winter snow events, flooding concerns, and so on. I'm happy to answer questions via PM if anyone would like more details on some specifics.

Blessings,
Mark

Pretty much what I'm getting from all the posts is that everyone has their half of the country that they like. I personally don't feel as though we should completley alienate ourselves in the process. Since most of our member base is on the east coast then I would suggest choosing a location along the eastern seaboard. That would give us the opportunity to be near like minded believers and still be accessible to family. Those who live in the west could do the same thing on the western seaboard.

As far as politics goes, right now really isn't the time to push the envelope. I mean we have those on the left going after the right and those on the right going after those on the left, we're finishing up a war in iraq, we're still fighting a war in afghanistan, Iran and north Korea could erupt any time, the economy is way down, healthcare, election year, etc, etc. Now is definately not the time to draw attention to ourselves with all of their energy focused elsewhere. Now is the time for us to unite and bond together. To get to know each other and build relationships and support. Now is the time for us to build our foundation so that when the wolf comes howling at the door we are ready for him. Without a foundation we are unstable. Even the Lone Ranger had Tonto.

DukeOfMarshall said:
As far as politics goes, right now really isn't the time to push the envelope. I mean we have those on the left going after the right and those on the right going after those on the left, we're finishing up a war in iraq, we're still fighting a war in afghanistan, Iran and north Korea could erupt any time, the economy is way down, healthcare, election year, etc, etc. Now is definately not the time to draw attention to ourselves with all of their energy focused elsewhere. Now is the time for us to unite and bond together. To get to know each other and build relationships and support. Now is the time for us to build our foundation so that when the wolf comes howling at the door we are ready for him. Without a foundation we are unstable. Even the Lone Ranger had Tonto.

You can fight for civil rights ANYtime, whether it be in good or bad times. I'd say it's not the best time rather than saying we shouldn't do it at all for the time being. People can challenge our laws in courts anytime they want just as advocates for same-sex marriage have been doing and quite successfully in some cases.

ali83 said:
At the risk of sounding my age and kinda silly, I'm just going to say it...

It sounds like to me, when you move into a house or apartment with your 3 best girlfriends because your boyfriends are all best friends and you all go to the same happy hour and you all work with in a few blocks of each other. And it's like, let's all live together because we have so much in common! And any of us, who have lived in the situation knows... *phew* thank goodness, that's over!

Granted, I know that as adults it's a little different but still... in theory, its a great idea in reality... eh.
Ali,
Age has nothing to do with it, I'm young too... :D
It would work quite well without the drama. It's not limited to just college kids, or young people. You see it in schools, churches, and communities (of all walks of life).
Unfortunately "drama" is a huge category, and many things fall into it. So if you figure out how to remove it let me know.

You have a point now that I think about it. It probably would be a huge mess...

Granted, I know that as adults it's a little different but still... in theory, its a great idea in reality... eh.

Sounds like what 93% of the population seems to think about marriage. Most of them, unfortunately, have no idea why they find it so difficult.

The reality is that marriage is about people walking the narrow path. It's very nice to know that He Wrote the Book which tells us how to do it.

So far as "neighborhoods" go, what would be really nice is to have a lot of neighbors who share that understanding -- regardless of how many folks they have in the family.

Blessings,
Mark

Wow I really didn't expect this much on it,lol I am glad too see a lot of people would like a community that has like minded folks. East or west even north to south I am for it. I am sure many people would not want to live in a community together. I do I am from a place where this has worked! Unfortunately it cost too much to go back to Tonga or Bahamas. I loved it as a child being around like minded people. It wasn't till we moved to a regular community when the problems started. People prying into our business and trying to break us all up. Since I have moved to New Mexico I tell people what I believe and no one cares, cept for the churches. I wouldn't even mind people who at least believe it's ok for PM to exist even if they don't practise it. For any one who lives openly about PM there is possible danger due too religious people who believe they must make your life hell. We were renting a building a while back and people from a church Tagged our building with a lot of hateful stuff. When they were finally caught it was found out they were all from the same church. That's why I am wanting a community like this. It is also nice to have people around to talk to who knows what you are goin through. Online is cool and all, but it's not the same.

And Ali that would be the reason for every family to have their own home. I am not talking every one in one big house. Also that's cool you translate sign language my lil sis is deaf. She is also into PM as well. She's just to shy to come on here. She is on my myspace under mas's Deaf Mom. She loves the idea she as well as me was raised in PM as well as me.

Back