• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Purim is coming...

IshChayil

Seasoned Member
Real Person*
Male
ב"ה​
Purim starts the evening of Feb. 28 (last day of this month) so if you want to take off from work now's the time to ask.
While it's not a commanded biblical "feast day" as Hebrew roots folks like to say, it is a great day of celebration for Judah so you folks from another tribe can enter in and celebrate with us how Hashem used a beauty queen and a righteous dude to save our ancestors from a would-be holocaust in the Persian empire.

This can be a really fun day for families. We read through the entire scroll / book of Ester; many communities let the girls do the reading aloud so it's a day for them to shine in recognizing the great roll model in Queen Ester who risked her life for the nation.
People like to dress up like biblical characters, mostly Mordechai. Ester, Achashveros (however you spell that lucky King's name). I just remembered a song I liked decades ago, Achashveros - it's a parady of "Amadeos".
Family is asleep and my headphones are dead so maybe it's not as funny as I remember, listen at your own risk.

If you are studying Hebrew now could be a really cool time to bone up on the vocabulary in Ester so reading the scroll/book can be more enjoyable (i.e. understandable).

don't forget to BOOOO!!!! for Haymen and HUrRAAAY for Ester, Mordecai, or Achashveros anytime they are mentioned in the story.
Noise makers are great for kids when it's Haymen being mentioned.

Back