• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Random Comments

I've probably gotten more pushback from Christians for having more than 2 children than for any 'sin' like behavior.

Bizarro world for sure!

I guess we didn't miss anything NOT going to churches. Our kids went to vbs one year, and have been in the building for a funeral and maybe a party.

Back to random comments for #30 in a series of 30 truly random expressions that I'm surprised no one has demanded an explanation for:

You must explain. I'm confused.

I took the o.p.'s o.p ("I noticed we don't have a random comment thread for posts that are just random and not really meant to start a discussion...you just got something to say! :D") to heart and thought of a way to interrupt the inevitable gravitation toward discussion that would sneak in among us in the midst of a non-discussion discussion -- by incorporating something called the Hidden Brain Damage Scale. It's a list of 30 True/False statements that, on the surface, looks almost like satire or some other kind of cruel joke but is surprisingly effective at determining whether an individual's mental challenges are due to some kind of mental illness (organic or inorganic) or due to actual organic brain damage.

I was thinking that people would give me a hard time somewhere along the way, but now I've concluded that my hunch was wrong from the start. In the end, I suppose that what happened was that, in a sense, all of you took the test as it went along, and what you've demonstrated is that I'm the only one here with brain damage!

I took the o.p.'s o.p ("I noticed we don't have a random comment thread for posts that are just random and not really meant to start a discussion...you just got something to say! :D") to heart and thought of a way to interrupt the inevitable gravitation toward discussion that would sneak in among us in the midst of a non-discussion discussion -- by incorporating something called the Hidden Brain Damage Scale. It's a list of 30 True/False statements that, on the surface, looks almost like satire or some other kind of cruel joke but is surprisingly effective at determining whether an individual's mental challenges are due to some kind of mental illness (organic or inorganic) or due to actual organic brain damage.

I was thinking that people would give me a hard time somewhere along the way, but now I've concluded that my hunch was wrong from the start. In the end, I suppose that what happened was that, in a sense, all of you took the test as it went along, and what you've demonstrated is that I'm the only one here with brain damage!
I was just thinking you were being truly and uniquely random, and got a chuckle out of each comment. But now I see that you were reading from a script, so not being random at all. I think that breaks the rules of this thread. :)

Seriously - the whole list is hilarious reading, but what is it for? If it's not entirely a joke, how do you use it? All I can find online is statements of who developed it and when, but not whether it has a purpose and how you'd use it for that purpose.

Why do you think men who grew up in this are better able to manage?

Because they grew up seeing what functional families look like and they don't have to screw things up to figure it out on their own.

There is so much focus on the women and kids in poly families but the fact is that it's the man who is at the center of all of it and everyone else depends on his leadership both as the spiritual head of the house and the husband and father to everyone. I know most people think it's so awesome for the men but from my experience it's a lot of hard work. Steve is away from home most of the time out making money, he comes home and there's always more work to do around here, there's things that he has to sort out, and then he's got everyone wanting his time.

I went to London with Christie once and Steve came over to meet us. It was the most relaxed and happiest I'd ever seen him because it was just us three, there was no one else making demands on him, and he had no pressures. It was work for Christie but a real vacation for Steve. I so want to share the picture of me and him at the hotel spa! It's my favorite picture of us because he was so happy and you can see it. He's usually really serious.

A family of any kind is a big challenge for a man and a poly family is even more of a challenge. And it's a lot easier if you go into it with role models and older men or a poly father to give you good advice along the way.

I don't think I've ever said this before but for me poly life is a lot easier than it is for my husband. I don't have the same worries and stresses he does and I get to have a lot more fun than he does.

The guys my age (30 ish) would never imagine running three businesses and a huge family and I can't see any of them succeeding at it.

I've said this in the past and I'll say it again is that when I married I felt that I married my family and after some time I came to love my husband. After more time I appreciated him. After eleven years I am in awe of him.

I felt safe with my family because of the environment that Steve had created and guided. Someone recently reminded me that when I'd come to visit my family back in 2008 I'd been worried about someone stealing from me because that was normal at home with my mom. No one stole from me because Steve had fostered a faithful and honest family home and the fruit of his wisdom made me overcome my misgivings and fears and led me to trust that I was making the best decision I could make by marrying him, marrying my family, and having children.

I am blessed because these wonderful people took a chance with me and I am doubly blessed by the man God graced me with.

Steve's brother is much the same way and his family in Oregon is pretty awesome.

All of this to say that men who grew up in poly are more or less raised to be good husbands in the life and the men who come from outside have to learn a lot of the things my man knew by the time he was 12.

Sorry I wrote so much! I think too much about stuff! :p

Because they grew up seeing what functional families look like and they don't have to screw things up to figure it out on their own.

There is so much focus on the women and kids in poly families but the fact is that it's the man who is at the center of all of it and everyone else depends on his leadership both as the spiritual head of the house and the husband and father to everyone. I know most people think it's so awesome for the men but from my experience it's a lot of hard work. Steve is away from home most of the time out making money, he comes home and there's always more work to do around here, there's things that he has to sort out, and then he's got everyone wanting his time.

I went to London with Christie once and Steve came over to meet us. It was the most relaxed and happiest I'd ever seen him because it was just us three, there was no one else making demands on him, and he had no pressures. It was work for Christie but a real vacation for Steve. I so want to share the picture of me and him at the hotel spa! It's my favorite picture of us because he was so happy and you can see it. He's usually really serious.

A family of any kind is a big challenge for a man and a poly family is even more of a challenge. And it's a lot easier if you go into it with role models and older men or a poly father to give you good advice along the way.

I don't think I've ever said this before but for me poly life is a lot easier than it is for my husband. I don't have the same worries and stresses he does and I get to have a lot more fun than he does.

The guys my age (30 ish) would never imagine running three businesses and a huge family and I can't see any of them succeeding at it.

I've said this in the past and I'll say it again is that when I married I felt that I married my family and after some time I came to love my husband. After more time I appreciated him. After eleven years I am in awe of him.

I felt safe with my family because of the environment that Steve had created and guided. Someone recently reminded me that when I'd come to visit my family back in 2008 I'd been worried about someone stealing from me because that was normal at home with my mom. No one stole from me because Steve had fostered a faithful and honest family home and the fruit of his wisdom made me overcome my misgivings and fears and led me to trust that I was making the best decision I could make by marrying him, marrying my family, and having children.

I am blessed because these wonderful people took a chance with me and I am doubly blessed by the man God graced me with.

Steve's brother is much the same way and his family in Oregon is pretty awesome.

All of this to say that men who grew up in poly are more or less raised to be good husbands in the life and the men who come from outside have to learn a lot of the things my man knew by the time he was 12.

Nice!
:)

Maybe @MeganC would consider sharing that in the real people stories?

That is a great perspective and assessment there!

Not at all! It is an invaluable and rare perspective.

So a followup question...

Your general observation of poly marriages has them succeeding at nearly 3 times the rate which they should be for the demographic of women mainly attracted to them. Statistically speaking. That is astounding to me. That is not to say I don't believe you, but that it is a surprising result which makes me reevaluate the risks in poly marriage.

Would you attribute all this success to husbands who are experienced with how to successfully do poly? Or do you think there are other things at work?

I was just thinking you were being truly and uniquely random, and got a chuckle out of each comment. But now I see that you were reading from a script, so not being random at all. I think that breaks the rules of this thread. :)

Seriously - the whole list is hilarious reading, but what is it for? If it's not entirely a joke, how do you use it? All I can find online is statements of who developed it and when, but not whether it has a purpose and how you'd use it for that purpose.

I do remember who provided it to me, and I assumed initially that it was just a joke, because reading through it almost made me wet my pants. But then he asked me if it had revealed anything. I thought he meant in me, but he was referring to my patient, the most violent head-injured man in the state of Georgia. So I administered it to D.B., and it was amazing how many entries that one would normally believe were entirely ridiculous that D.B. sincerely rated as True; many he even elaborated on.

The point of the exercise was to provide validation that, despite how ridiculous it all sounds, and despite the fact that the creators of the Hidden Brain Damage Scale did so as an exercise in parody, the statements inadvertently uncover various manners in which brain damage affects cognitive functioning.

P.S. Some questions (likes and dislikes are among my favorites; pudding without raisins is no pudding at all; my best friend is a social worker; little can be said for Luxembourg; my uncle is as stupid as paste; and, of course, people tell me I'm deaf) do not by themselves reveal brain damage, but, generally speaking the test is easy to score: the more true answers, the more likely it is that someone has brain damage. And I have run into numerous people employed within social services who have also found this joke to have paradoxical value.

Last edited:
That Catherine Austin Fitts video posted on the Presidential Politics thread yesterday inspired a huge conversation between Kristin and me today. The woman has credibility, and she describes a planned future in which all of us superfluous folks are going to be targeted for slavery, with our betters deciding how much electricity we're permitted to consume (and how much if any internet or computer time we'll have access to). Homing pigeons isn't a bad idea, but everything has me thinking that, after our 1.5-year temporary hiatus here in Fort Worth, our eventual home needs to be way off the beaten path, and I'm going to be working toward disconnecting myself from the systems that have great potential to be used to manipulate my personal freedoms.

That video and this guy has got me thinking...

Happy New Year, everyone!

One would think! But no, it is used in the making of outdoor items, and is guaranteed not to deteriorate when left in the elements.
So for my tents, bedrolls, awnings, and anything else I make that will be exposed to sunlight, or moisture it is ideal.

Sounds awesome. I've always used fishing line for such things.

One would think! But no, it is used in the making of outdoor items, and is guaranteed not to deteriorate when left in the elements.
So for my tents, bedrolls, awnings, and anything else I make that will be exposed to sunlight, or moisture it is ideal.
Interesting, I make a lot of my own camping gear. What’s it called? Does it run in a regular sewing machine?

Back