• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Scripture Verses and Answers: Job 31:1-11

crsivils

Male
Here is one verse that I have come across in my studies, but I have not seen anyone mention it on either side of the polygyny-monogamy debate. I would welcome any thoughts or explanations:

Job 31:1-11 (NASB95) 1 “I have made a covenant with my eyes; How then could I gaze at a virgin? 2 “And what is the portion of God from above Or the heritage of the Almighty from on high? 3 “Is it not calamity to the unjust And disaster to those who work iniquity? 4 “Does He not see my ways And number all my steps? 5 “If I have walked with falsehood, And my foot has hastened after deceit, 6 Let Him weigh me with accurate scales, And let God know my integrity. 7 “If my step has turned from the way, Or my heart followed my eyes, Or if any spot has stuck to my hands, 8 Let me sow and another eat, And let my crops be uprooted. 9 “If my heart has been enticed by a woman, Or I have lurked at my neighbor’s doorway, 10 May my wife grind for another, And let others kneel down over her. 11 “For that would be a lustful crime; Moreover, it would be an iniquity punishable by judges.”

Through one way of reading this passage, it kind of sounds like Job suggests that “[gazing] at a virgin” (since he’s already married) is comparable to a “punishable” sin.

It seems to me, the “punishable” sin he references would be the “lurking” or “enticed” parts, but please share if you have insight on this passage.

I've come across this as well, and I'm also interested in what others think about this passage. My belief so far is that this is a covenant or vow that is specific to Job, one that he has made internally, or between himself and God.

Last edited:
There is another passage wherein a vow was made to forsake taking more wives that I found in my studies as well. Between a man and his father-in-law. This passage is pro-vow much like the passage you've entailed, but it isn't pro-monogamous. The man had already 4 wives when the vow(or as it's worded, covenant) was made. This may parallel and bring clarity to what you are seeking explanation for.

”And Laban answered and said unto Jacob, These daughters are my daughters, and these children are my children, and these cattle are my cattle, and all that thou seest is mine: and what can I do this day unto these my daughters, or unto their children which they have born? Now therefore come thou, let us make a covenant, I and thou; and let it be for a witness between me and thee. And Jacob took a stone, and set it up for a pillar. And Jacob said unto his brethren, Gather stones; and they took stones, and made an heap: and they did eat there upon the heap. And Laban called it Jegar-sahadutha: but Jacob called it Galeed. And Laban said, This heap is a witness between me and thee this day. Therefore was the name of it called Galeed; and Mizpah; for he said, The LORD watch between me and thee, when we are absent one from another. If thou shalt afflict my daughters, or if thou shalt take other wives beside my daughters, no man is with us; see, God is witness betwixt me and thee. And Laban said to Jacob, Behold this heap, and behold this pillar, which I have cast betwixt me and thee; this heap be witness, and this pillar be witness, that I will not pass over this heap to thee, and that thou shalt not pass over this heap and this pillar unto me, for harm. The God of Abraham, and the God of Nahor, the God of their father, judge betwixt us. And Jacob sware by the fear of his father Isaac.“
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭31‬:‭43‬-‭53‬

Last edited:
Back