• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Some hand tool recommendations for gardeners

Bartato

Seasoned Member
Male
I hate rototillers. They tear up the soil too much, are loud, expensive, and wear out.

I'm a bit weird, but I prefer to work my garden by hand. I need the exercise it provides. I thought it would be fun to talk about some of the hand tools I like to use.

My vegetable garden is about 3000 square feet (or 300 square meters for our metric brethren). I'm 49 years old. My soil is a sandy loam. I prefer to minimize tillage in general.

At present, I could probably manage a garden substantially larger using the same tools - maybe up to around 10,000 square feet. Peasant farmers in 3rd world countries use similar tools on substantially larger fields.

Your conditions may vary such that these methods might not be suitable.

Here are some of my favorite tools
Grub hoe
Grape hoe
Spade
Broad fork
Stirrup hoe

1682366868773.png

1682367049495.png
1682367118365.png

How long is the handle of your stirrup hoe? We just ordered one and it came with about a 3.5 ft. handle and I can't help but feel it was made for gardeners in China. I'm about to switch it out with a normal hoe handle because it's death to the back. It's pretty efficient on baby weeds, tho. Kinda like it.

How long is the handle of your stirrup hoe? We just ordered one and it came with about a 3.5 ft. handle and I can't help but feel it was made for gardeners in China. I'm about to switch it out with a normal hoe handle because it's death to the back. It's pretty efficient on baby weeds, tho. Kinda like it.
Mine is standard length. Off the top of my head, I'd say around 5 feet.

I have a stirrup hoe but can't decide if I like it or not. I agree that it is best for young weeds. I have never seen the broad fork! I think I might have to come up with some reason to have that. :) I don't do the vegetable gardening but I do most of the yard gardening. I do have a small grub hoe but haven't had to many uses for it as of yet. I love a good tool! Let's just say that Home Depot, Lowes and Ace Hardware are some of my favorite stores.

I have a stirrup hoe but can't decide if I like it or not. I agree that it is best for young weeds. I have never seen the broad fork! I think I might have to come up with some reason to have that. :) I don't do the vegetable gardening but I do most of the yard gardening. I do have a small grub hoe but haven't had to many uses for it as of yet. I love a good tool! Let's just say that Home Depot, Lowes and Ace Hardware are some of my favorite stores.
The stirrup hoe is good for small young weeds. One limitation of it for me is that I like to mulch, and hoeing doesn't work as well in mulched areas.

The stirrup hoe is good for small young weeds. One limitation of it for me is that I like to mulch, and hoeing doesn't work as well in mulched areas.
But why would it be any better than a regular hoe? I just can’t see that working in clay.

But why would it be any better than a regular hoe? I just can’t see that working in clay.
It is light and fast to slide barely beneath the soil surface and get the baby weeds before or right after they emerge.

I've never grown in clay, so I don't know if it would work. My soil is pretty sandy.

Back