• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Prayer request Talking to Family and Friends

Good morning, We have recently been talking to our family and friends about our belief in BF and polygyny. We are very confident in our understanding of God's position on this topic. As you can imagine some family has received this news with questions, some shockingly agreeing and yet others deciding to end our relationship. The last one is the most shocking reaction from a devoted Christian since we've only discussed out understanding and haven't taken any real action.

When we provide them scripture verses in support of our position they reply that we are being led by the devil and we need to repent. This hasn't shaken our position and we expected to have some push back but this type of over reaction we were caught off guard with.

Interesting enough the discussion started with this person saying their husband's brother should take her as his wife since she is now a widow. But he just got engaged so she missed her chance. I of course responded with his relationship status has nothing to do with it lol. She responded that polygyny makes a lot of sense and wondered when it stopped. Well with the door wide open I jumped through like the Kool Aid man. When she asked if we believed in it and we responded with a yes she about faced and cut us and our children off.

I've read it's a grieving process so we just ask for prayers that God touches her heart and iopens her mind to His word. Thank you

When we provide them scripture verses in support of our position they reply that we are being led by the devil and we need to repent. This hasn't shaken our position and we expected to have some push back but this type of over reaction we were caught off guard with.
People so full of themselves and certaintly in their beliefs, they can't imagine being wrong.

With women especially I do believe you will be running into huge cognitive dissonance. And how much those husbands fear their wives, in turn will affect their own decision making. Just keep trudging onward. What you lose for the kingdom of God, you may also gain manifold more in this life.

“And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or parents, or brethren, or wife, or children, for the kingdom of God's sake, who shall not receive manifold more in this present time, and in the world to come life everlasting.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭18‬:‭29‬-‭30‬

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. We also need to have some difficult conversations with family and soon. I’m nervous about it. I think it will be well received but until it happens you just don’t know. These conversations need to happen soon because we’re past the talking about it phase and into the doing phase. I am hoping things progress with a certain lady so these conversations need to happen.

Thanks for sharing. We also need to have some difficult conversations with family and soon. I’m nervous about it. I think it will be well received but until it happens you just don’t know. These conversations need to happen soon because we’re past the talking about it phase and into the doing phase. I am hoping things progress with a certain lady so these conversations need to happen.
Many prayers for you and yours. Our talks usually came about naturally about some other biblical talk so it started natural. My wife's dad has been very supportive so that was a big relief for her.

I've had some surprises with people claiming to be Christian too. One woman told me she didn't have time to find the verses. Said it was sin and my hubby should put away this other woman... .then jumped passed the verses that instruct one to first confront the one in error privately, then with witnesses. Nope. She went straight to blocking me on Facebook and I don't want your daughter talking to my daughter anymore.

My sis in law I was closest to has also told me she doesn't have time for me. She said "Don't call me if you have a bad day." Acting like bad days were all preventable by not having a sisterwife???
She also claims to be Christian. ...and that I just wore my poor husband down. He never wanted this.
I'll agree it was a perfect storm. My sisterwife is sweet, beautiful, likes our lifestyle and shares our beliefs. But I promise, he liked who he thought she was....loves who she actually is, and wanted her to be his wife.
Just because he wasn't looking....doesn't mean he didn't want what he found.

Just realize how people handle this says more about their own insecurities and wrong doctrine then it does about you. It's usually a case of they hate the message....and take it out to some degree on the messenger. The worst hurts do come from the unexpected places though....maybe because we are less guarded with those we trust or expect to be on our side?

*shrugs*

I've had some surprises with people claiming to be Christian too. One woman told me she didn't have time to find the verses. Said it was sin and my hubby should put away this other woman... .then jumped passed the verses that instruct one to first confront the one in error privately, then with witnesses. Nope. She went straight to blocking me on Facebook and I don't want your daughter talking to my daughter anymore.

My sis in law I was closest to has also told me she doesn't have time for me. She said "Don't call me if you have a bad day." Acting like bad days were all preventable by not having a sisterwife???
She also claims to be Christian. ...and that I just wore my poor husband down. He never wanted this.
I'll agree it was a perfect storm. My sisterwife is sweet, beautiful, likes our lifestyle and shares our beliefs. But I promise, he liked who he thought she was....loves who she actually is, and wanted her to be his wife.
Just because he wasn't looking....doesn't mean he didn't want what he found.

Just realize how people handle this says more about their own insecurities and wrong doctrine then it does about you. It's usually a case of they hate the message....and take it out to some degree on the messenger. The worst hurts do come from the unexpected places though....maybe because we are less guarded with those we trust or expect to be on our side?

*shrugs*
Jolene you nailed that! She instantly blocked us on Facebook and then proceeded to tell us all the other things she didn't agree with that we are doing in our homeschooling of our kids.

Why do I have feeling that Christians hardest take another Christian practicing polygamy?

*shrugs*
I just wanted to quote you. So very true. They only love marriage when it suits them, but when shown the truth they throw both the scriptures and God out of the picture. God and the husband are supposed to be tied around their finger and doing their will. It all becomes very clear who they serve, and it is themselves.

The worst hurts do come from the unexpected places though
This is what you have to keep at the forefront of your mind because it will be among the biggest challenges you face. Suddenly people will be finding fault with all manner of things in your Christian life to justify their rejection of you because they cannot prove from the Bible you are wrong about marriage/polygyny. Be ready for old mistakes or failings from decades ago to be recalled and used for character assassination. The lengths some will go to is unbelievable.

Suddenly people will be finding fault with all manner of things in your Christian life to justify their rejection of you because they cannot prove from the Bible you are wrong about marriage/polygyny.
Too true! That sis in law really dumped on me. She said we are the kind of people that just have make others look bad to feel better about ourselves. Before she said that them not being around us had nothing to do with the change in our family.....it was because our children are mean and bullies to hers. That is the precise opposite of what I've heard from others. I've had neighbors call to tell how much they appreciate that our children are kind to hers, even though hers are younger, expressing that she never has to worry about them and that we have good children. Another neighbor has had just our two invited to celebrate his son's birthday. His boy had to wear leg braces when younger and our children don't treat him different, they treat him like one of their siblings. He is accepted, teased in a regular fashion, and played with like one of the gang. They genuinely like him.
Adults in out community also appreciate our children and that they are capable and helpful. They will help most anyone for free....and also accept paying jobs when offered.

Do be prepared....as much as possible, for the unexpected.

Back