• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

The difference between men and women.

FollowingHim2

Women's Ministry
Staff member
Real Person
Female
Title could also be: how you know you have a good wife who pays attention ;).
https://www.onehundreddollarsamonth.com/28-years-later-he-tells-me-this/

My favourite comment is this: "Yep… For 38 years I’ve cooked my husbands bacon extra crispy because that’s the way he ordered it while eating breakfast out during our honeymoon. Last year, while eating breakfast at home he stated he hates crispy bacon, he prefers it softer. Thanks for finally letting me know."

For the record, Samuel and I have had this exact conversation several times over our 14 year marriage.

I've never understood a man who can't tell his wife how he prefer's his food.

Obviously never been a problem here.

The disconnect shown in that article, and the comments, which show many, many couples have observed this, illustrates the natural instinctual desire of a wife to serve her husband as well as she can. Because it is her job to do the cooking, and she wants to please her husband, a good wife will remember every little clue she sees to what her husband prefers. One tiny comment years ago will have stuck in her mind, and become the key guidance around how she does something. To her, that little comment is very important, the way she prepares food as a result she also believes is correct and very important for her husband. This is a beautiful thing.

Her husband, on the other hand, has probably completely forgotten than one off-hand comment. But he may also not notice how it has influenced her cooking. If, for example, she cooks cabbage a little more frequently than his mother did, and he doesn't really like cabbage much but eats it anyway, that's such an unimportant detail he might not even notice it is happening. He may have absolutely no idea she is making an intentional decision to cook him cabbage frequently because he once said "I remember my uncle's cabbage from his greenhouse, which was delicious", a comment she filed away in her "how to please my husband with food" file and has been causing her to cook cabbage a lot to bless him. While in reality, he might have said that because he hated cabbage, and his uncle's cabbage was an unusual exception that stuck in his mind.

This disconnect illustrates a lot of really positive characteristics about both husbands and wives. These positive characteristics happen to intersect in an amusing way in these instances, which highlight the positivity hilariously.

-------------------------
Incidentally, I am surprised people seem to have taken this differently to how we did - people seem to think this is about men being too scared of their wives to tell them what they think. Ok, a few examples might include that characteristic, but that's not the overall theme.
I've never understood a man who can't tell his wife how he prefer's his food.
Obviously never been a problem here.
That's obviously not a problem here either. However, actually thinking about food and remembering what you have eaten enough to even notice patterns in what your wife is doing and mention them? That's something different entirely!

Incidentally, I am surprised people seem to have taken this differently to how we did - people seem to think this is about men being too scared of their wives to tell them what they think.

I know someone who tosses his lunch regularly when she sends him a particular type of dish. He eats it at home without a word but hates it and won't eat it at work when she sends leftovers along.

Not the only such case I've heard of.

Please don't turn this into a women-are-terrible-and-all-feminists rant. That was not what this was about. I don't care what some men who don't stick up for themselves do. I thought this was funny and sweet.

In fact, the fact that I can't share something amusing about married life and showing how WONDERFUL some wives are by THINKING ABOUT WHAT THEIR HUSBANDS WANT, without it being turned into a thread about how women are in control and how terrible they are by making food their husbands don't like is a problem. My gosh.
And here I posted just recently about how women not wanting to post here because the men just hate women was a miss-understanding.
Guys, lighten up!

The disconnect shown in that article, and the comments, which show many, many couples have observed this, illustrates the natural instinctual desire of a wife to serve her husband as well as she can. Because it is her job to do the cooking, and she wants to please her husband, a good wife will remember every little clue she sees to what her husband prefers. One tiny comment years ago will have stuck in her mind, and become the key guidance around how she does something. To her, that little comment is very important, the way she prepares food as a result she also believes is correct and very important for her husband. This is a beautiful thing.
As I was reading your comment here @FollowingHim, it seemed to me to be more than just a "wife" thing. Yes, my wives make particular choices about food selection and preparation because of my likes and dislikes but since I've been in a situation with having a maid in the house, I've seen the efforts she has gone to so that she serves up meals I'll enjoy. She watches YouTube videos etc. to learn what a westerner likes to eat and how to prepare it. She will even happily prepare a completely different meal for me if there are guests and they are eating traditional dishes. So it's more than just a wife's desire to please her husband; I think there's something God has put in women's DNA to motivate them to make men happy with food. And men should learn to enjoy and appreciate it while thanking their women for happily accommodating their man's culinary idiosyncrasies.

She will even happily prepare a completely different meal for me if there are guests and they are eating traditional dishes.
That reminds me of how some Asian restaurants will automatically give you a fork and spoon if you look like a Westerner, and give chopsticks if you look Asian. They're trying to be caring and accommodating - but as for me half the fun of going to an Asian restaurant is the challenge of eating with chopsticks, it is annoying as I then have to explicitly ask for chopsticks. I can imagine you finding your maid's caring behaviour annoying if you actually wanted to eat the local food - but her intent is positive. It's about making careful, caring decisions based on assumed preferences.

I think the root of the problem, is Idontwanttohurtmywifesfeelingsitis.

A far more serious issue is being ignored here: what sort of psychopath eats soft bacon?
Can't wait to learn what all the psychopaths have to say on the issue of who among them eats soft bacon!

Back