• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.
There's more to the Bible than "Thou shall nots". There's also practical wisdom.

Biblically speaking, "this is not a good idea". For example, it makes the regular intercourse discussed in 1 Cor. 7 difficult.
I would posit that defrauding is a heart issue as opposed to a distance issue.

I would posit that defrauding is a heart issue as opposed to a distance issue.
I agree that defrauding is a heart issue, but there also seems to be a principle that regular intercourse is the normal pattern for marriage. There are times and seasons where that isn't possible. In addition each man and woman will vary in his or her needs. Some people can deal with physical separation better than others.

I think this is a Biblical red flag, but not a Biblical deal breaker.

Look at Salmon marrying Rahab. The fact that she was a former harlot was probably a red flag for Salmon. The fact that she feared YAHWEH enough to betray her people and city to save the spies was a huge positive indicator. The fact that their son Boaz turned out to be a very godly man is an indicator Salmon made a good choice when he took Rahab.

I agree that defrauding is a heart issue, but there also seems to be a principle that regular intercourse is the normal pattern for marriage. There are times and seasons where that isn't possible. In addition each man and woman will vary in his or her needs. Some people can deal with physical separation better than others.
Go ahead and design your perfect life, but please try to avoid throwing shade on others who have less than perfect circumstances.

Here's a question I've been wrestling with and could use some helpful comments on... How biblical is the long distance wife?

Recognizing that the original intent and purpose of taking a wife (biblically) is to produce offspring with her, but also taking into account Proverbs 31 - what are some alternative situations which could be considered equally valid (biblical)? In light of polygyny and what it has to offer modern America, how do we approach the career woman who has a good head on her shoulders? Is willingness to have children directly proportional to how good of a wife she would be? What about health issues?

Specifically, is it even biblical to be "married" to someone who has a completely different walk of life? Let me give an example:

A certain man has a large homestead and a large family with multiple wives. His mission is building a self sufficient property while offering quality goods and services to the community. He is quickly becoming a very powerful man. All of his wives and children work closely together to further the needs of the homestead - except for one. This one wife dwells in the city and has a high-paying job, and she only uses the home property as a retreat or vacation home. Although she recognizes her man's authority and runs all of her major decisions through him, she lives hundreds of miles away and has no desire to "move in" with the family or to become a mother. She and the man have a mutual agreement on this; they still have frequent visits and communication, but with no plans to change their lifestyles to mesh with each other in any way. She considers herself as part of the family, but otherwise lives a very independent life.

Now, I recognize that this situation could only really work in today's electronic communication culture - but that's where we are right now. Networking and family have much different connotations than what they did centuries ago.

I would love to hear all kinds of opinions and thoughts, but please remember the main point - is it biblical?

I won't try to comment on the biblical aspect but we all know that long distance wives...frequently secret long distance wives are a thing within the Muslim faith. Probably all faiths but it is an easy example to point at.

The scenario you paint at the beginning is quite appealing and describes more or less dead bang my own vision and goals. The second portion with respect to the distant wife however seems gut wrenching. I suppose some could manage it...I can easily imagine the how to with respect to using technology to try to integrate a distant family member into the group in an ersatz make do fashion. I just can't imagine it being used for a long term situation and being happy. I have a far easier time imagining if one of the wives or husband had a job that forced them to travel frequently, having the laptop or phone setup in the hotel room while perhaps working or having dinner etc but with the normal big family semi organized chaos goes on to hear and see via Webcam. Maybe active chatting part of the time but more than anything just the noise and warmth of the family still being available while away.

Maybe others would be comfortable with a long distance relationship with occasional visits. I know people have made it work but on a personal level, I would be a poor candidate for it beyond the more advanced courting part of a relationship. It could only be as a stopgap measure and not a long term solution.

Part of it as I think about it a bit that makes me hesitant over and above the notion of not all being the one big family together is that it smacks of having a mistress rather than a wife. I understand that is not the example scenario, that it is an additional plural wife just at a distance...but the more I think about it, the stronger the notion is in my mind.

Being an increasingly healthy high testosterone adult male I can see the libertine appeal of just nipping off for a few days every few weeks to some woman far away to try to cram in as many adult shenanigans as humanity possible in the short time...but that just doesn't feel like marriage. It feels like taking a vacation from wives and children and day to day life.

I like the idea of the day to day life of a man with skads of crumb crunchers and rugrats with women I love and all of the average problems and joys of a plural family. Don't think I would want or can imagine having time in the literal sense or in the mental energy sense for a huge chunk of your emotional life off to the side at a distance or as a part time marriage.

Maybe the other guys feel differently but I haven't read anyone's remarks on the topic so far. They would have to have very different feelings on the issue than me though.

Go ahead and design your perfect life, but please try to avoid throwing shade on others who have less than perfect circumstances.
The God given wise instructions of Paul in 1st Cor. 7 must be seriously considered. The situation @crsivils asked about is Biblically problematic. The woman doesn't really seem to want to be a proper wife. It might possibly work out, but I highly doubt it.

A lot of polygamous (and monogamous) relationships fail. We should try to do the best we can.

We are told in 1st Corinthians 7 that we are to have regular relations.

Saaaaaaay....that is good to know. I may need that along with 1st Timothy 4 on a t-shirt.

Ladies...who wants a shirt?
tumblr_leh0pmrzSR1qbu1qvo1_500-2.gif

Why not? My husband Steve was a paving/building contractor who more or less worked for other people. He met Christie who, against the wishes of Steve's first wife Shari, encouraged Steve to become his own boss. Steve was blue collar and Christie was from a completely different universe. But Christie complemented Steve and supported him in ways that Shari could not.

Shari eventually divorced and left Steve. Steve went on to become very successful in business especially with Christie managing the money and teaching Steve how to better manage and leverage his money.

If the two people can come together to make their different abilities and talents into a testimony to God then why not?
Different suits (save for what people would call politics but it is in reality understanding facts vs propaganda and gaslight) me fine. In point of fact, it would suit me down to the ground to meet a well organized Type A woman. I can easily see the advantages...very much as Megan reports from her own family.

If you are correct at all in this regard, you would have to deny my marriages.

I am an over the road truck driver, I go where the loads take me. It’s been weeks, sometimes months at a time that I don’t get home.
Last year was our worst ever, I got home exactly once during the year, and that was one that I forced so that we could attend the BibFam retreat in the summer.
Presently I have taken a driving job that was advertised to get me home every week. Suuure….a couple of times it has stretched into three weeks separation.

We thank Yah for the blessing of cell phones.

(We are a bit older, we have no children in the house.)
Glad it works for y'all but I would have a very difficult time with that situation and have turned down higher paying jobs that would require me to manage business in all the Texas metro areas and a few surrounding states...and that meant about 50% of my time away.

Y'all remember the show from back in the (probably) 70's or 80's where psychologists in horn rim glasses and lab coats stood around a new born baby monkey that the separated from its mother. It was experiencing tonnes of anxiety obviously but being creepy guys in lab coats doing their experiment, they had a solution. A dummy made from carpet, chicken wire, something like a sock monkey face/head, something for warmth and a ticking clock as a heart beat was provided as a mother substitute. Then the little monkey not knowing better was soothed and presumably the creepy dorks in lab coats high fived each other for proving something obvious to a recent romper room alumni.

The point of that odd aside is that I would be like that freaked out little monkey with weeks of separation from wives and home.
Different strokes though

I would say that a man to oversee and manage decisions, talk to and share with, and get to spend time with "in person," is far better then not having a man at all. It is marriage, of course they are wives of @steve and that is 100% better then if they were alone.
Not everyone can do that though, and my hubby's sentiments would run more along the lines of what @paterfamilias has expressed. He's the kind of guy that goes fishing with his brother for a few days...but only lasts one day and comes home early! 😆

I heard years ago that before the establishment of the Trans-Siberian Railway, when transport along that very long route in Russia was by cart, it was not uncommon for a driver to have a wife and home at both ends of the route. They'd know about each other, even send each other gifts, but rarely if ever meet. And that was practical.

Gideon had a concubine in Shechem, a town he didn't live in (Judges 8:31). Now, that didn't actually work out well for his family if you read on, the son presumably had too little interaction with his father and turned out to be a bad egg, so that is not a positive recommendation as to whether it's a good idea. But it does show it's permissible.

I also have always presumed that Solomon's many concubines were not all kept in a single harem, which would be a major cost to maintain. I assume they staffed his various palaces and other properties all around his kingdom, doing all the domestic work to keep the places running - and wherever he went he had company in his bed. Then they would be a great benefit to him rather than a cost. Scripture does not say how he managed his household, but from a purely practical perspective this seems logical. I would therefore presume that Solomon had many remote concubines - and the same is likely true of most kings and other wealthy people historically with a reasonably large number of wives and multiple residences. It's also worth noting that this didn't go badly for Solomon, as it was not his concubines who led him astray.

It's permissible. Whether it's wise is entirely dependent on the circumstances.

I would venture to guess that David didn’t have his wives with him and his band of merry men as they hid in the rough places from King Saul.
He took Abigail as wife during that time, but most likely left her running the estate. Popping in for a visit now and again.

I heard years ago that before the establishment of the Trans-Siberian Railway, when transport along that very long route in Russia was by cart, it was not uncommon for a driver to have a wife and home at both ends of the route. They'd know about each other, even send each other gifts, but rarely if ever meet. And that was practical.

This made me chuckle a bit.

One of my grandfathers was in large scale construction and worked all over the world for many months to a couple of years at a time.
Not all that long after he died, my father received a letter from Panama. Apparently he had a younger half brother down there.
When it was discussed with my grandmother, she didn't even blink. She matter a factly said "oh, you have brothers all over, don't worry though, he always married their moms". Apparently she was aware/up to speed. I don't know how he handled things with these other women unfortunately.

Not sure what to think about it one way or the other. I just don't have enough information. I certainly am curious about the uncles I have out there and feel sorry for them growing up without their father.
It also helps to confirm my own convictions about methods of practicing polygamy of various stripes. One family. All together with the advantage of multiple moms and their father present in their lives and participating in their rearing.

I would venture to guess that David didn’t have his wives with him and his band of merry men as they hid in the rough places from King Saul.
He took Abigail as wife during that time, but most likely left her running the estate. Popping in for a visit now and again.
David only had a couple wives at the time (Ahinoam, Abigail, and technically Michal but she wasn't there). It seems like the two wives generally were with him when he was fleeing Saul. Saul wasn't above harming David's family. Even David's aged parents had to flee to the wilderness with him.

David only had a couple wives at the time (Ahinoam, Abigail, and technically Michal but she wasn't there). It seems like the two wives generally were with him when he was fleeing Saul. Saul wasn't above harming David's family. Even David's aged parents had to flee to the wilderness with him.
Do you have a reference for that?

This made me chuckle a bit.

One of my grandfathers was in large scale construction and worked all over the world for many months to a couple of years at a time.
Not all that long after he died, my father received a letter from Panama. Apparently he had a younger half brother down there.
When it was discussed with my grandmother, she didn't even blink. She matter a factly said "oh, you have brothers all over, don't worry though, he always married their moms". Apparently she was aware/up to speed. I don't know how he handled things with these other women unfortunately.

Not sure what to think about it one way or the other. I just don't have enough information. I certainly am curious about the uncles I have out there and feel sorry for them growing up without their father.
It also helps to confirm my own convictions about methods of practicing polygamy of various stripes. One family. All together with the advantage of multiple moms and their father present in their lives and participating in their rearing.
Reminds me of a guy I met a few years ago at a school (class) reunion. Each person stood and gave a brief testimony about their life since finishing school. They all had the usual story; left school, worked, married, kids, (more than a few) divorced, blah, blah. Then this one guy stood up, and after covering the basics, said he works on ships and has six wives and kids. Depending on where he's waiting for his ship in a port he stays with that wife. He got a lot of hoots and shouts of congratulations from the others after he finished. I took the opportunity and had an excellent discussion with him afterwards about his situation biblically. It was a great time at this reunion and opened some doors to present the case for polygyny. It also highlighted the variety of situations people have for their relationships.

Do you have a reference for that?
You made me curious, so I went back and checked some things in 1st Samuel.

I was wrong about David's parents. It seems like his whole family did come to him in the wilderness (chapter 22), but David took his parents to Moab where the king of Moab provided them with sanctuary for the duration.

David married Ahinoam and Abigail in chapter 25 when he is in the wilderness of Paran. Later on we remember that they were all in the city of Ziklag.

Now, that didn't actually work out well for his family if you read on, the son presumably had too little interaction with his father and turned out to be a bad egg, so that is not a positive recommendation as to whether it's a good idea.
Well, that requires inference and places too much hypothetical power, authority and influence into an equation that is much more determined by the personhood of the individual and his YHWH-created DNA than it can be laid on the shoulders of any father -- although, as the father of six I certainly comprehend the impulse toward believing otherwise while one is still in the midst of raising-up shepherding.

Great post!

I take issue with the masculinity preachers who claim the intent and purpose of a woman is breeding. They are narrow-minded. A purpose of a woman is breeding, but that rolls up with all the other potential she was created to have. The intent and purpose of a woman is to be a helpmeet to the man. (Gen 2:18) That is the basis from which all else follows regarding her purpose. After that, the woman was subjugated to man, and he was made to rule her. (Gen 3:16) Therefore, it is entirely up to her own husband and not up to herself or anyone else to determine for her what form her help is to take.

Based upon that simple principle, my conclusion is that there is zero limit on what situations could be considered valid for her, so long as it is the husband's will. Some would be best, some worse, but none Scripturally invalid. A husband, as with any leader, would be wise to match his people to their strengths, but even if he is not wise, her place is simply wherever he puts her. I do not know of a Biblical reference in contradiction to this. The passage in Titus might appear to restrain a husband to a decision tree of only one branch, but I'm pretty sure it is a plea to wisdom and not a command from God. (Titus 2:3-5)

With that in mind, the normal wise practice would be to place her over domestic affairs. However, each man should know his own women, and each man is solely responsible for how things turn out in his own kingdom. Your Proverbs reference does a lot to poke holes in the hot air bubble that is the "tradfem" doctrine.

A woman who doesn't want to have children would be unsuitable for a lot of men, but not all. That level of willingness doesn't make her intrinsically a better or worse wife, but probably is a great test for whether or not she would be a good wife for you. Remember that children are born of a husband's will. (John 1:13) As far as I know, there is no law that says every wife must bear children.

The same principle applies to health issues or any other characteristic. The woman should suit you, and no one else should be concerned. Nabal's wife was the death of him, so to speak, but to David she was highly valuable. She was suited for David but ill-suited for Nabal. (1 Sam 25)

So, bearing all of that in mind, I can say confidently that it is Biblically valid to have a wife who walks a completely different life, even one far away. That arrangement would not suit many men, but for some it would be more than adequate. I have a distant neighbor who's wife is foreign. He owns a multinational business, thanks to her. She is with him sometimes, at other times she manages his business affairs abroad among a people foreign to him but native to her, but at all times she honors God with her obedience to her husband. For him, she is the perfect wife. She is serving him faithfully as he determined she should.

I don't think long-distance marriage is all that modern. Recall men of old who spent months or years away from home while their wives managed all of their affairs with only letters exchanged in the meantime: travelling merchants, soldiers, sailors, explorers. All modern technology has done is cater to our impatience and fear. Men and women of old did the same just as or more commonly, and with much greater faith and patience.
Gênesis 2:18 And YHWH God says, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I make him a helper as his opposite.” (Kenegdo = As opposite)

God created man and woman with separate roles.

1 Timothy 2:15
and she will be saved through the childbearing, if they remain in faith, and love, and sanctification, with sobriety.

Genesis 3:16 is similar to 4:7,
is about the man not allowing himself to be deceived/seduced into error by the woman.

Back