• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Timing of the crucifixion and resurrection

Keith Martin

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
Admin note: This discussion began on this thread and has been moved here to keep topics organised. Note ends.

Just my two cents: no creed exists that is free of having unscriptural agenda. Why couldn't Christians just have the creed: the Divine Word of God, 1st, 2nd, 3rd and Always? Because most Christians want to bring in their own sacred cows, written and otherwise. The 'Apostles' Creed is one of the more benign creeds, but even it has more than one non-biblical propaganda inherent in its wording. Luther confronted the one about how there was no biblical basis for "descended into Hell" (I was glad to see that you didn't have that in here), but what remains is an untruth about being raised on the third day, which is language purposefully designed to support the (capital C) Catholic-created canard of Sunday being the new Sabbath, which was buttressed by a supposed death of Christ on (Good?) Friday. [Eugene Callaway's book, The Harmony of the Last Week (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/offer-l...0?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=1543047820&sr=1-1), uses Scripture and the various types of Sabbaths to explain a Wednesday afternoon to Saturday morning timeline, in opposition to the revised Friday afternoon to Sunday morning timeline.]

Last edited by a moderator:
@Keith Martin The topic of the resurrection is no doubt worthy of its own thread. Obviously Friday is the wrong day as is 33 AD the wrong year. Wednesday is also the wrong day. One of the biggest issues Ive found with a Wednesday crucifixion is a combination of errors about the Passover. Specifically, discerning the difference between the Preparation Sabbath and the preparation of the Sabbath. Also the Passover sacrifices, specifically the sacrifice and oblation.

Also incorrect is the assertion that the rising on Sunday is a Catholic fabrication. I’ve found many references to that day exclusively in first century docs and early 2nd century. In fact, I’ve never found anything to the contrary, including Scripturally. The Catholics merely Co opted and corrupted the existing structure of Christianity nearly 300 years after the fact. That’s why its included in the Apostles Creed, because everything else that they wrote, and everything else that anyone who knew them wrote all point the resurrection to a first day resurrection exclusively.

@Keith Martin The topic of the resurrection is no doubt worthy of its own thread. Obviously Friday is the wrong day as is 33 AD the wrong year. Wednesday is also the wrong day. One of the biggest issues Ive found with a Wednesday crucifixion is a combination of errors about the Passover. Specifically, discerning the difference between the Preparation Sabbath and the preparation of the Sabbath. Also the Passover sacrifices, specifically the sacrifice and oblation.

Also incorrect is the assertion that the rising on Sunday is a Catholic fabrication. I’ve found many references to that day exclusively in first century docs and early 2nd century. In fact, I’ve never found anything to the contrary, including Scripturally. The Catholics merely Co opted and corrupted the existing structure of Christianity nearly 300 years after the fact. That’s why its included in the Apostles Creed, because everything else that they wrote, and everything else that anyone who knew them wrote all point the resurrection to a first day resurrection exclusively.
Actually, I believe @Keith Martin and Eugene are correct with one minor adjustment: Wednesday burial at evening, Sabbath resurrection at evening as the day turns toward the first day (the Day of First Fruits). Every detail then easily fits.

Except for the part about as it began to dawn toward the first of the week and all four gospels recording his observance of the Passover,and the part about the four full days to observe the lamb, and the part about rising on the third day instead of after, and the part about the day count from Lazarus’ house, and the part about the discrepancy between the Passover Sabbath and the preparation of the Sabbath, and the part about the women who were to anoint him preparing and then waiting for the Sabbath to be over and the part where there’s no conjunction of full moon with a Tues/Wed in the correct years, not to mention that all of the early records agree with a Sunday morning pre dawn rising and I could go on and on and on

I have always believed it to be a Thursday death and Sunday morning rise... Friday doesn’t make sense with the three days and three nights...

I have always believed it to be a Thursday death and Sunday morning rise... Friday doesn’t make sense with the three days and three nights...
Have you considered, that any part of a day is counted as a day. For instance, 30 minutes left in Friday, would be considered a day.

While in Saudi Arabia, I asked a local when something happened. His answer was ‘Before’. I asked before what? His answer was ‘Before now’.

The cultural aspect of timelines can be quite different than how we consider time.

Have you considered, that any part of a day is counted as a day.

Yes I have and it still doesn't add up

Matthew 12:40
For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Thursday, Friday, Saturday =3 days
Thursday night, Friday night, Saturday night =3 nights

Matthew 28:1-6
In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.
And, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it.
His countenance was like lightning, and his raiment white as snow:
And for fear of him the keepers did shake, and became as dead men .
And the angel answered and said unto the women, Fear not ye: for I know that ye seek Jesus, which was crucified.
He is not here: for he is risen, as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay.

He rose early morning on the first day of the week (Sunday) before sunrise so you don't count that day.

A Friday death would only be 2 nights in the grave so even if you choose to count Sunday as one of the days in order to equal 3 days it still doesn't fit.

Last edited:
Yes I have and it still doesn't add up

Thursday, Friday, Saturday =3 days
Thursday night, Friday night, Saturday night =3 nights

He rose early morning on the first day of the week (Sunday) before sunrise so you don't count that day.

A Friday death would only be 2 nights in the grave so even if you choose to count Sunday as one of the days in order to equal 3 days it still doesn't fit.

After looking at it again I think it’s more accurate to count it this way:

Thursday night, Friday night, Saturday night = 3 nights
Friday,Saturday, Sunday = 3 days

He was buried at the end of the day on Thursday so you don’t count that day.

He rose on the third day (Sunday). So Thursday death still fits the best and it’s the only way to get three nights.

Last edited:
I didn’t understand the high sabbath was on Thursday. Is that an undisputed fact? I admit I’m not educated on that part of it... I was simply looking at the standard calendar...
Firstay of Pesach/Passover is a high Shabbat and can fall on any day of the week as it is tied to the moon

Firstay of Pesach/Passover is a high Shabbat and can fall on any day of the week as it is tied to the moon
So it ultimately depends on correctly determining the exact year in order to determine the Passover of that particular year?

I didn’t understand the high sabbath was on Thursday. Is that an undisputed fact? I admit I’m not educated on that pajrt of it... I was simply looking at the standard calendar...

Sorry, phone got buggy and had to restart reply...

First day of Pesach/Passover is a high Shabbat and can fall on any day of the week as it is tied to the moon. John 19:21 articulates that it was a high Sabbath. Then on Friday, Mary and Mary bought spices to apply after the weekly Sabbath. Mark 16:1. They go early on the first day, before sunrise and He is already gone. raised the evening before. Remember, the day runs sunset to sunset.

As to the Passovers, I think the difference is that the command is for Passover on the 14th and the first day of Unleavened is the 15th, per Lev. 23:5-6. The Jews have, I believe, conflated the two so that both happen on the 15th. Yeshua/Jesus kept the 14th then became the paschal lamb on the 15th for the people. this explains how He could 'earnestly long to eat this Passover' with the disciples, while still being the Passover for the people.

The pieces fit without having to stretch credulity or make excuses for half days, etc... He was in the grave three days and three nights.

While not something to divide or fight over, this is how I understand it with additional details that fit.

I bow to all of you who have researched this far more than have I.

Oh, re: @Verifyveritas76 's mention of the conjunction of the moon.... at that time they were observing the sliver from the Temple, therefore, in searching the appropriate year, the conjunction should have occured on Sunday or Monday....

Tiberius was emperor from 14 AD till 37 AD. We know that John the Baptist began his ministry in the 15th year of Tiberius. Luke 3:1.
From previous studies, I understand Jesus began his studies in the 17th year of Tiberius. That would put Jesus starting his ministry at 30AD.

The Bible states that Jesus was ABOUT 30 years old when he started his ministry. In Babylonian and Chinese astrology, both record a bright star showed up at either 4BC or 5 BC, depending on the studies you look at. I prefer the 5 BC timeline. This would put Jesus at 37 when he died on the cross. It also fits perfectly in using theomatics when looking at scripture.

The possibility exists that his ministry was only 70 weeks long. Michael Rood has a complete timeline that fits the gospels better than the predominant 3 year timeline that has huge gaps in it... but that is a whole other discussion.

Back