• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Meat Turning "Splendor and Beauty" into "Squalor and Ugly"

Mark C

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
This week's Torah parsha is one that sometimes inspires apathy, or even derision: What possible relevance does a description of clothing for a 'tabernacle' that no longer exists, worn by a line of priests that no longer exists, have in a world where the only people wearing truly fancy duds are either criminal attorneys (pun intended) or "ladies of the evening" or political mob bosses? (But I repeat myself in probably every case there.)

The answer may lie in the gut-wrenching CONTRAST between clothing that is intended "for splendor and for beauty" for those who serve YHVH, as opposed to a world where literally everything seems intended "for squalor and for ugly."

There's a lesson in the symbolism.

Sobering

Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof
- Timothy 3:5

Really, what difference is it to God what you wear if your heart is wrong? And why would God care if you dressed like a prostitute or a lawyer if your heart was right?

I had reserved comment on this issue but on reflection it very closely resembles the secular humanist fashion trend called Elective Poverty.

Adhering to this standard of fashion is a statement of virtue. Also known as virtue signaling.

Since this secular humanist fashion trend intersects with the standard for Torah observance being promulgated then is it wrong for secular humanists to wear fashions that would coincidentally meet TK standards?

Conversely, since Elective Poverty fashions often cost far more than what lawyers or prostitutes would wear then would a TK be in error for purchasing such pricey clothes even though in their appearance they'd be TK observant?

Ultimately, what difference does it make what clothes you wear (or not at all) if Jesus Christ sits on the throne of your heart?

Really, what difference is it to God what you wear if your heart is wrong? And why would God care if you dressed like a prostitute or a lawyer if your heart was right?
You didn't listen enough to get even a bit of the entire point, did you?

Yet it is very important to discuss standards of fashion as they relate to faith or not.

While I don't dress or think one needs to follow the Torah dress practice (though I have no problems if they want to dress that way,) I'm pretty positive that if you are dressing like a prostitute then your heart isn't right or at least not all the way yet :)

What is this “Torah dress” practice, please?
I thought that some Torah practicers tried to wear the things that were written in Leviticus and other parts of the Torah, am I wrong? I think some try to incorporate pieces at least. It was not meant to be offensive, but rather meant as a reference to that.

I thought that some Torah practicers tried to wear the things that were written in Leviticus and other parts of the Torah, am I wrong? I think some try to incorporate pieces at least. It was not meant to be offensive, but rather meant as a reference to that.
That’s a deeply misunderstood passage of scripture that has an extremely narrow focus and application. On top of that it doesn’t actually describe any type of clothing. There is no Torah dress code.

Back