• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Uniform Cohabitants' Economic Remedies Act (2021)

NS4Liberty

Male
Today is my first day of classes. I am taking Wills, Trusts, and Estates and came across this new Uniform Cohabitants' Economic Remedies Act. It is yet to be adopted by any state, but lays out a foundation that could potentially give legal rights to plural wives. I haven't dug into it very deep yet, but thought I would share.

Example 1: A, B, and C live together. Even if A and B are a couple, and B and C are a
couple, and A and C are a couple, UCERA does not consider A, B, and C collectively as
cohabitants. Thus, A may enter into a contract with, or make an equitable claim against, C, but
A, B, and C cannot enter into an agreement under this act. Of course, each may have claims
under other state law.

Talk to me like I’m 5. I don’t speak lawyereese. 99% following your example but what are the ramifications?

From the little I looked into it, a husband would be able to contract (doesn't need to be written) with each wife so that the wife would be able to claim what she has put into the household while she lived with him. So wife 2 doesn't get left in the dirt if the husband dies, or if there is some need for divorce (spiritual divorce since the marriage is not legal to begin with). It also covers unbiblical arrangements.

I saw a few people mention getting a trust to cover these things, but if a state were to adopt this law, there would be default protectiins available.

This is a model code, that has not been adopted by any state yet, but they saw the need to create some sort of protection for untraditional (in the Western sense) living situations.

Back