• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Christ Came NOT to be Served

I have heard it said on many occasions that men are told to love and women told to submit because that's what we each struggle with the most. This is however the opposite of truth.

Love seeks a positive outcome for its object, but often the process to achieve that outcome requires temporary friction. Because of the natural solipsism of the female, her man is divinely positioned to provide her an education in the nature of love. Sometimes you give this lesson through giving yourself up, others through washing her in the word "no". The point is that the frame of reference is maintained by you because of your inherent proximity to God. Your job is Christ’s – show her the Father.

You will do a terrible job of loving her like yourself if you don't love yourself to begin with. If anything your woman asks you to do is harmful to your value and purpose, you need to say "no", because her outcome is fixed to yours.

Nothing could be more foreign to my understanding than Christ serving as a “butler.”
You should re-read your post. If a husband should love his women the way Christ loves the church and what you described is a reflection of that then Christ very much acts like a butler.

OK, @The Revolting Man, your post qualifies for my biggest belly laugh of the day award, so thanks first off for inspiring that for me today. I do understand, after knowing you as long as I have, exactly where you're coming from, but don't forget that @ostephenu doesn't yet know you and therefore hasn't had enough experience with you to know when you've gone into hyperbolic overdrive. Your points are well taken, but I believe you're also a tad guilty of over-interpreting much of what @ostephenu wrote. He's not pointing toward some kind of feminism but just toward recognizing that, as members of the Body of Christ, we're all exhorted to serve each other. And if we're going to serve each other, then who other than our wives would be at the top of our service recipient list? (After Christ, of course.) Nowhere did @ostephenu suggest that it was supposed to be a one-way ass-kissing street from husbands to wives (aka feminism).

You and I don't always see eye to eye, but you and I are both light years from promoting feminism, and I can promise you that is the case with @ostephenu as well.

But that line about a neutered Santa Claus almost inspired pants-wetting. Just the image of a world with a neutered Santa Claus -- my goodness, if he were neutered, how would he ever be able to get anything done, given that it would have prevented him from siring all those elves with the reindeer?
I love you Keith but no, just no. We do not served our wives. They serve us, that’s what a helpmeet does for a master, or baal. We can’t sugarcoat this. Our women will be happier if we don’t.

A man gets a commission from God, he begins to fulfill it and then God gives him a helpmeet to literally help that man meet his commission.

@rockfox, I think that anyone who believes that the average Christian is their audience here on Biblical Families Dot Org is seriously delusional. I believe that, despite our many differences here, the men in this group have some shared assumptions (e.g., seeing the evils of feminism) that are in play every time I post something. So I don't give a s*** how the average Christian would interpret what I'm writing; I'm having faith that we here generally see what would maximize the well-being of our wives in very similar ways. You create a red herring when you argue against something that isn't being asserted. The original point here is about how to foster a successful marriage, most especially in the context of plural marriage, and @ostephenu is simply sharing his viewpoint that is not only based on his own success but that has been requested from him because people are sincerely interested in what it is that makes his family work so well. Therefore, the point of this discussion is what works in a functional way and is not just yet another opportunity to soapbox about the dangers that we might all be falling into feminist traps.

I simply do not worry about anyone casually dropping into Biblical Families Dot Org and getting the wrong impression. First of all, I'm not defensive about being in favor of patriarchy. Secondly, it's nowhere near the top of my priority list that I have to make sure everyone knows that I would never foster a pro-feminist atmosphere in my home. Thirdly, I can't even imagine that any casual drop-in to this web site could fail to comprehend within an hour of reading things here that feminist approaches are the opposite of welcome. Therefore, your insistence on grinding your axes about the possibility that we're going to risk coming off as pro-feminist only comes across to me as distracting straw-man virtue signaling.

The Devil can actually very often be in the details of the interpretations one manufactures in one's own mind.

I don't think all share those same assumptions. This is a public forum, Christians of all stripes show up here. I've seen many people come here with different perspectives. And I've seen variations of the UMC comfort idea posted here. Without further exposition I don't know what you mean by maximizing her well-being and I think most will take the wrong message from it.

Is nitpicking over words. I think it's very clear exactly what @ostephenu is talking about in practical, real terms. Arguing over whether that should be called "submission" or "servitude" or "care" or whatever is a pointless waste of time. What matters is what he means - and that's very clear from his statements taken in their entirety.

Nope not clear at all to me. When he says we are to serve our wives and they are not here to serve us it sounds to me like he's just pushing the usual servant leader nonsense. Maybe he's not, I'd love for him to expound some more on what he means to make it clearer.

Nor is this a waste of time. Having a clear definition of words matters because the various teachings on this subject give very different definitions to the same words. Different people can make the exact same statement and mean entirely different things. Opposite things really.

He says serve means to care. I don't find that in the meaning of serve. It sounds to me like he's redefining the word. But care is a synonym for the word husband (verb) or husbandry. Notice the distinction: I care for my ox, self sacrificially even, I husband him, but he serves me by pulling my plow; I do not serve him. The distinction matters and will have tangible effects in the marriage.

Well, I guess this is an @rockfox/@Keith Martin at-loggerheads evening!

I don't think all share those same assumptions. This is a public forum, Christians of all stripes show up here. I've seen many people come here with different perspectives. And I've seen variations of the UMC comfort idea posted here. Without further exposition I don't know what you mean by maximizing her well-being and I think most will take the wrong message from it.

Of course you think so, because you mistakenly assume -- even though you know that this is a public forum where Christians of all stripes show up -- that most of them not only will come from your same set of fears and that most of them aren't smart enough to comprehend as well as you can such a generalized phrase as "maximize her well-being."

Sometimes, @rockfox, you are just plain concrete, seemingly incapable of recognizing or allowing for any nuance -- or of recognizing that, despite all of our differences, we do share here (even with the majority of those who just drop by) enough similarities of perspective that protecting everyone from the possible encroachment of feminist thought isn't based on any kind of constant tangible threat. Sure, there may be some who (used to) regularly contribute or some who drift in and out who would interpret "maximizing her well-being" as making sure a wife could count on her husband getting the dishes done while she went out to attend transgender-consciousness-raising meetings or get her chakras aligned at a massage spa, but I suspect that here, where a strong appreciation for and promotion of Biblical patriarchy rules the day, most people would, for example, interpret "maximizing her well-being" as becoming the woman within her who knows that following her deserving husband's lead is what is in her best interest. I've never met you at a gathering, but at every one I've attended, when I listen to the women who speak in large groups or smaller conversations/discussions, most all of them express that general sentiment. I take them at their word that they have thought through the whole set of concepts and appreciate the benefits of patriarchy -- and therefore know that being married to a patriarch goes along way toward "maximizing their well-being."

Is there anyone here specifically who you fear will be dragged over to the feminist dark side by my phrase? If not, who in heck is your audience for this protective talk you claim to be engaging in? You remind me of that person at vegan gatherings who is always contesting minor details of the speech of others as if there might be carnivores lurking right around all of their inner corners. It's a straw man distraction, which is why I labeled it a red herring.

Yes, yes, yes, women are supposed to submit, damn it! But the essence of this particular discussion is considering the (sought-out, mind you) advice of a man recognized as having one of the most successful plural marriages in our awareness about how to properly care for one's wives, because that is correlated with having a successful plural marriage based on Biblical principles. We've already got 3579 threads on these forums in which men have pounded the table about how women don't submit enough, but that's not the focus of this particular discussion. Why change the subject or grind an old-but-already-heavily-sharpened axe? If the suggestions offered are of no use to you, either because you've already achieved Nirvana in your household or because you have no desire to ever have another wife, then apparently this thread wasn't written for you, and we already know you're down for no-holds-barred absolutely 100% total submission. The question is this: why do we need to hear it once again in this context?

This all just reminds me of The Servant Song:
Brother, let me be your servant.
Let me be as Christ to you.
Pray that I might have the grace
To let you be my servant, too.

We are pilgrims on a journey.
We are brothers on the road.
We are here to help each other
Walk the mile and bear the load.

I will hold the Christ-light for you
In the night time of your fear.
I will hold my hand out to you;
Speak the peace you long to hear.

I will weep when you are weeping.
When you laugh, I’ll laugh with you.
I will share your joy and sorrow
Till we’ve seen this journey through.

When we sing to God in heaven,
We shall find such harmony
Born of all we’ve known together
Of Christ’s love and agony.

Brother, let me be your servant.
Let me be as Christ to you.
Pray that I might have the grace
To let you be my servant, too.

Which was inspired by Matthew 20:25-28:
"But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them.
But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister;
And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant:
Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many."

I don’t want to add fuel to the fire, but it dawned on me that rather than debate the meaning of a word (in this case “serve”) based on our own preconceived notions (which will inevitably vary), we should examine exactly how the term is defined in English and, more importantly, in the context of the original passages. I agree that narrowly defining terms matters, and I wasn’t as specific as I perhaps should have been when I started this thread. So, here’s a little factual info that will hopefully shed some light on the topic for us all...

From what I’ve looked up, all English dictionaries define serve in essentially the same way, which is “to perform services for another.” As many have rightly pointed out, Christ’s servitude was and is, first and foremost, to the Father. The question, then is, did He serve others in any way at all? Of course, all of His service is ultimately for the Father, as all things are for the Father (Rom. 11:36). As husbands, our allegiance is also first and foremost to Christ and the Father, but does that mean we never “serve” others in any sense at all?

Next, let’s closely examine the Greek. Our English Bibles use “serve” or “minister” as the translation of the Greek diakoneō. Strong’s defines the word (G1249) as “to be an attendant, i. e. wait upon (menially or as a host, friend or, figuratively, a teacher).” The context examples, according to Strong’s outline of biblical usage, are to be domestic, to wait upon, to minister to another, to serve food or drink to a guest at a table, to take care of the poor or sick, or to relieve another of burdens (among others).

We don’t have to create our own definition in this case - nor do we in most others - and we should certainly determine our understanding based on what Scripture communicates. Well, it seems to me that the scriptural term the disciples used denotes acting in ways - even domestic at times - to help others in need. Would anyone argue that caring for the poor and sick or feeding another are not examples of service as clearly defined by the original Greek? Those are a couple of the very examples given, and this is the context of the word Christ used when He said He came not to be served but to serve.

So, based on the context of Scripture, it seems that Christ in fact did “serve” others in numerous ways, and well beyond those mentioned in the Concordance. He healed people miraculously, He forgave, He made wine for a wedding celebration, and He ultimately endured unimaginable suffering. Christ did all of this in an absolute sense for the Father, but we benefit immensely. To understand this, you have to first understand absolute versus relative truth - a very important topic deserving of its own lengthy discussion. Not to mention, the Father Himself is in no need of the many blessings Christ bestowed upon others, so to say Christ’s service benefited only the Father drastically misses the mark. The Father doesn’t need fed, doesn’t need His feet washed, doesn’t need provided for, doesn’t need nourished back to health, doesn’t need financial assistance... WE do!

Now, when Christ washed His disciples’ feet as a display of servitude, He informed them that His purpose was to teach them that no servant is greater than his master and that if He could do that for them they should adopt the same mindset toward one another. The act was meant to be instructive and to lead them closer to the Father. So too as husbands, we should teach our wives - through our actions - that while we are the masters of our wives and children, our goal is to bring them closer to the Father. Doing that often requires various acts of service on our part, although this doesn’t mean we serve our wives or children above the Father or Christ!

Several of you have asked for me to clarify my exact stance, and hopefully this post has helped clear things up. In case it hasn’t, I’ll make my understanding plain: we are the masters of our families, and we serve Christ and the Father, first and foremost. Christ is our head, and we are the heads of our families, and our aim has to be to do what they would have us do, not what our wives may prefer we do. Modern feminism is one of the most destructive, godless philosophies to ever plague the human race. To serve our families properly means also serving our wives and even our children in various ways, although this does not mean that our wives are in any way our masters. We work and earn money to provide necessities for our families. Are our wives and children our “masters” because they partake of the things we provide? Are we not serving them in a sense by providing when they are the ones who benefit most from our provision? Rather, it means we care for them in the exact sense of the original Greek by doing things intentionally to draw them closer to the Father, recognizing that they are the weaker vessel. Often times that means leading in ways that cause them fear or any other number of negative emotions, yet we lead with complete allegiance to our Savior and Father above all else, no matter the cost.

For those of you who have taken an unwavering stance on our wives serving us as our helpmeets and us not serving them at all, I have a simple question: Would you then not take care of your sick wife or child? Would you not do the dishes or cook the meals if no one else in the family was capable at a given moment? Would you demand that your wife repair the car if you didn’t feel like it since it’s her job to help you? Would you not change your baby’s diaper if your wife was gone? Remember, Scripture defines Christ’s service in the context of hospitable acts for others, which the Father is in no need of Himself and which benefit us, so you would most certainly be “serving” your wives in such cases.

I’m so confident you would all be borderline offended by this simple question that I’d suggest the real issue in this discussion is much deeper than I originally intended. The issue clearly isn’t so much about service; rather, it’s about delineating proper marital roles and our function within them, as well as fighting against the wicked feminist ideology of husbands being subordinate to their wives, which tears families apart. I would hope that everyone on this forum recognizes that husbands are the heads of their families and that we ultimately serve Christ and the Father above all others, and this truth is one I am incredibly passionate about. We act in service every day to our wives in multiple ways, based on the biblical definition of the word, but that does not mean we are their servants in the absolute sense. We are servants of Christ; but just as Christ served the Father by often performing acts of service that directly benefit us, we serve Christ by often providing acts of service for our families.

One last point (and I know this post is a bit long)... the dynamics of marriage and family become far more complex with two wives than one, and I imagine the level of complexity would increase exponentially beyond that with a third wife added. I joke with friends that I went from having one wife to two but the complexity factor quadrupled rather than doubled. To be a successful husband to more than one wife requires patience and an ongoing willingness to not be rigid in your thinking. We can’t sacrifice fundamental truths or give up our devotion to the proper hierarchy, but acting like a tyrant won’t get you very far. Furthermore (and this should go without saying), no one can fully understand or appreciate the dynamic of having more than one wife without actually experiencing it. I’m not at all implying that I have all the answers. Yes, I lead a successful plural family, but I have many flaws - just ask my wives! My thoughts are intended only to be helpful, and I hope this clarifies where I stand in terms of my views.

Last edited:
I don’t want to add fuel to the fire, but it dawned on me that rather than debate the meaning of a word (in this case “serve”) based on our own preconceived notions (which will inevitably vary), we should examine exactly how the term is defined in English and, more importantly, in the context of the original passages. I agree that narrowly defining terms matters, and I wasn’t as specific as I perhaps should have been when I started this thread. So, here’s a little factual info that will hopefully shed some light on the topic for us all...

From what I’ve looked up, all English dictionaries define serve in essentially the same way, which is “to perform services for another.” As many have rightly pointed out, Christ’s servitude was and is, first and foremost, to the Father. The question, then is, did He serve others in any way at all? Of course, all of His service is ultimately for the Father, as all things are for the Father (Rom. 11:36). As husbands, our allegiance is also first and foremost to Christ and the Father, but does that mean we never “serve” others in any sense at all?

Next, let’s closely examine the Greek. Our English Bibles use “serve” or “minister” as the translation of the Greek diakoneō. Strong’s defines the word (G1249) as “to be an attendant, i. e. wait upon (menially or as a host, friend or, figuratively, a teacher).” The context examples, according to Strong’s outline of biblical usage, are to be domestic, to wait upon, to minister to another, to serve food or drink to a guest at a table, to take care of the poor or sick, or to relieve another of burdens (among others).

We don’t have to create our own definition in this case - nor do we in most others - and we should certainly determine our understanding based on what Scripture communicates. Well, it seems to me that the scriptural term the disciples used denotes acting in ways - even domestic at times - to help others in need. Would anyone argue that caring for the poor and sick or feeding another are not examples of service as clearly defined by the original Greek? Those are a couple of the very examples given, and this is the context of the word Christ used when He said He came not to be served but to serve.

So, based on the context of Scripture, it seems that Christ in fact did “serve” others in numerous ways, and well beyond those mentioned in the Concordance. He healed people miraculously, He forgave, He made wine for a wedding celebration, and He ultimately endured unimaginable suffering. Christ did all of this in an absolute sense for the Father, but we benefit immensely. To understand this, you have to first understand absolute versus relative truth - a very important topic deserving of its own lengthy discussion. Not to mention, the Father Himself is in no need of the many blessings Christ bestowed upon others, so to say Christ’s service benefited only the Father drastically misses the mark. The Father doesn’t need fed, doesn’t need His feet washed, doesn’t need provided for, doesn’t need nourished back to health, doesn’t need financial assistance... WE do!

Now, when Christ washed His disciples’ feet as a display of servitude, He informed them that His purpose was to teach them that no servant is greater than his master and that if He could do that for them they should adopt the same mindset toward one another. The act was meant to be instructive and to lead them closer to the Father. So too as husbands, we should teach our wives - through our actions - that while we are the masters of our wives and children, our goal is to bring them closer to the Father. Doing that often requires various acts of service on our part, although this doesn’t mean we serve our wives or children above the Father or Christ!

Several of you have asked for me to clarify my exact stance, and hopefully this post has helped clear things up. In case it hasn’t, I’ll make my understanding plain: we are the masters of our families, and we serve Christ and the Father, first and foremost. Christ is our head, and we are the heads of our families, and our aim has to be to do what they would have us do, not what our wives may prefer we do. Modern feminism is one of the most destructive, godless philosophies to ever plague the human race. To serve our families properly means also serving our wives and even our children in various ways, although this does not mean that our wives are in any way our masters. We work and earn money to provide necessities for our families. Are our wives and children our “masters” because they partake of the things we provide? Are we not serving them in a sense by providing when they are the ones who benefit most from our provision? Rather, it means we care for them in the exact sense of the original Greek by doing things intentionally to draw them closer to the Father, recognizing that they are the weaker vessel. Often times that means leading in ways that cause them fear or any other number of negative emotions, yet we lead with complete allegiance to our Savior and Father above all else, no matter the cost.

For those of you who have taken an unwavering stance on our wives serving us as our helpmeets and us not serving them at all, I have a simple question: Would you then not take care of your sick wife or child? Would you not do the dishes or cook the meals if no one else in the family was capable at a given moment? Would you demand that your wife repair the car if you didn’t feel like it since it’s her job to help you? Would you not change your baby’s diaper if your wife was gone? Remember, Scripture defines Christ’s service in the context of hospitable acts for others, which the Father is in no need of Himself and which benefit us, so you would most certainly be “serving” your wives in such cases.

I’m so confident you would all be borderline offended by this simple question that I’d suggest the real issue in this discussion is much deeper than I originally intended. The issue clearly isn’t so much about service; rather, it’s about delineating proper marital roles and our function within them, as well as fighting against the wicked feminist ideology of husbands being subordinate to their wives, which tears families apart. I would hope that everyone on this forum recognizes that husbands are the heads of their families and that we ultimately serve Christ and the Father above all others, and this truth is one I am incredibly passionate about. We act in service every day to our wives in multiple ways, based on the biblical definition of the word, but that does not mean we are their servants in the absolute sense. We are servants of Christ; but just as Christ served the Father by often performing acts of service that directly benefit us, we serve Christ by often providing acts of service for our families.

One last point (and I know this post is a bit long)... the dynamics of marriage and family become far more complex with two wives than one, and I imagine the level of complexity would increase exponentially beyond that with a third wife added. I joke with friends that I went from having one wife to two but the complexity factor quadrupled rather than doubled. To be a successful husband to more than one wife requires patience and an ongoing willingness to not be rigid in your thinking. We can’t sacrifice fundamental truths or give up our devotion to the proper hierarchy, but acting like a tyrant won’t get you very far. Furthermore (and this should go without saying), no one can fully understand or appreciate the dynamic of having more than one wife without actually experiencing it. I’m not at all implying that I have all the answers. Yes, I lead a successful plural family, but I have many flaws - just ask my wives! My thoughts are intended only to be helpful, and I hope this clarifies where I stand in terms of my views.

Well said. In these times some of us are wary of anything that sounds like the servant leadership that is not balanced by headship. I have taught my son's that they are to be the head servant of their family and lead by example. As a general rule don't ask those in your charge to do anything you would not do yourself.

I'll interject my own understanding for kicks:
A husband is to his wife/wives as a husbandman is to a garden. While noone would misconstrue who has authority in the arrangement, there is a real sense in which the husbandman serves the garden. If he serves his garden well it will be beautiful and satisfying to his wants and needs. In either case the responsibility is for the man to serve Christ first and to not use tending of his wife as an excuse not to serve Him.
If properly arranged, tending to your wife adequately should not conflict with serving Christ anymore than taking care of our own bodies might. However it must be remembered that they, as we, have desires that surpass or are contrary to what is necessary for functioning well and that satisfying these must not be condoned or assisted.
It likewise bares mentioning that we should not allow our wife/wives' service to us be at the expense of their service to Christ also. And since the responsibility of submission rests on them it is all the more our responsibility to see to it that our will is for them to serve Christ in like manner with us.
Ultimately all authority is God's and it is His to give as it seems good to Him. If I must impose my will by force then

A woman's service to her man is her service to Messiah.

A woman's service to her man certainly is among the types of service she does for Christ but it is not the only service incumbent on her.
Children are commanded to obey father and mother, only doing what their mother has told them to do would not be sufficient obedience.
Women must be obedient to the commands of Christ as well as their husbands but since He is infallible and we are not, we must recognize that they must at times chose obedience to Christ over obedience to us.

A woman's service to her man certainly is among the types of service she does for Christ but it is not the only service incumbent on her.

we must recognize that they must at times chose obedience to Christ over obedience to us.

I'm sorry bro this is false. You won't find this in scripture.

Women must be obedient to the commands of Christ as well as their husbands but since He is infallible and we are not, we must recognize that they must at times chose obedience to Christ over obedience to us.
I'm sorry bro this is false. You won't find this in scripture.

I would also add, @Stranger, that I'm wondering if you could provide us an example or two of how a wife could be simultaneously disobedient to us and obedient to Christ.

In a rightly ordered house this would come about when he fell into temptation and commanded her something he'd previously taught her was sinful.

In your usual house this is just her following after other leaders and using spiritual sounding excuses to justify ruling the house or disobeying her husband.

Luke 16:13 (KJV)
No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

Pacman and keith martin, I think rockfox assessed what I am talking about fairly.

I could imagine other extreme examples that aren't likely in the real world, like a woman's husband commands her to murder someone or otherwise obviously violate one of the ten commandments.

Most commonly though I am thinking about a husband commanding his wife to do something that prevents or prohibits her from doing something that he would normally recognize as keeping the Lord's commandments.

When Peter was told to stop preaching (something Christ had commanded Him to do) by the Sanhedrin he told them that it is required for men to obey God rather than man.
This is the same group Jesus previously stated sat in Moses' seat and told people to obey (though not to do as they did).

If a woman's man were to outright tell her, "you know all those things Christ tells you to do? I am telling you not to do those things", complying with him on the basis of his authority would make nonsense of the whole authority structure.
If the father is not put under Christ, though he puts all power and authority under Him, and if Christ is not put under us for the power and authority he puts under us, then the fact of our authority in our marriages cannot be understood to be at the expense of the authority of Christ's commandments.

I would also add, @Stranger, that I'm wondering if you could provide us an example or two of how a wife could be simultaneously disobedient to us and obedient to Christ.

Pacman and keith martin, I think rockfox assessed what I am talking about fairly.

I could imagine other extreme examples that aren't likely in the real world, like a woman's husband commands her to murder someone or otherwise obviously violate one of the ten commandments.

Most commonly though I am thinking about a husband commanding his wife to do something that prevents or prohibits her from doing something that he would normally recognize as keeping the Lord's commandments.

When Peter was told to stop preaching (something Christ had commanded Him to do) by the Sanhedrin he told them that it is required for men to obey God rather than man.
This is the same group Jesus previously stated sat in Moses' seat and told people to obey (though not to do as they did).

If a woman's man were to outright tell her, "you know all those things Christ tells you to do? I am telling you not to do those things", complying with him on the basis of his authority would make nonsense of the whole authority structure.
If the father is not put under Christ, though he puts all power and authority under Him, and if Christ is not put under us for the power and authority he puts under us, then the fact of our authority in our marriages cannot be understood to be at the expense of the authority of Christ's commandments.

You're applying that passage out of context (both of them actually) the counsel that told Peter not to preach did not have as much authority as a man has over his women. It's a completely different relationship. Also Yeshua wasn't telling them to obey everything they said (that would make him schizophrenic as he defied them at every turn). Only the Scriptures was read from "the seat of Moses" that's what they were supposed to obey. Not everything they told them. The structure that applies to our discussion is found in 1 Corinthians 11:3

Last edited:
Children are commanded to obey father and mother, only doing what their mother has told them to do would not be sufficient obedience.
Why would you not say;
Children must be obedient to the commands of Christ as well as their parents but since they are infallible and He is not, we must recognize that they must at times chose obedience to Christ over obedience to parents.

Back