• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Christ Came NOT to be Served

. The husband is obviously secondary to Christ..........Therefore if both of us are under Christ yet I am still over her, then my authority must be subordinated to His.
You are to be subordinate and submitted to Him, but she does not bypass your authority to be under Him.
She is under both of you, but she only has one master.
Scripture is absolutely clear.
Ephesians 5:22-24 (KJV) 22 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. 24 Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so [let] the wives [be] to their own husbands in every thing.

It’s not a buffet that she can choose from, she is a representation of the Church and you represent Him in the relationship.

And she is violating Ephesians 5:22-23
No, she is not. I made compliance with my request contingent on a more basic request: that she not violate her conscience.
If she were to do what I ask when her conscience was not settled, then she would not be properly submitting herself to me.

No, she is not. I made compliance with my request contingent on a more basic request: that she not violate her conscience.
If she were to do what I ask when her conscience was not settled, then she would not be properly submitting herself to me.

I stand corrected. That's your choice. I do think it's an unwise choice though.

I just had this conversation with my wayward daughter today. I informed her that from now on I will be out the door whenever she begins judging me or attempts to negotiate with me. I will be happy to talk with her about any other topic, as long as it doesn't involve judging either of her parents or attempts to negotiate changes in our rules in exchange for her obedience. If she's going to be disobedient, so be it, but it will not be with my continued cooperation.

@Stranger, I would not wish on you what I am going through with my family right now, but I hear echoes of where I have come from philosophically, and all I can say is you better get prepared for some misery in your future. Focusing on the potential for the weird exceptions to the rule and insisting on what amount to progressive bromides that change truth from absolute to relative are invitations for your children (and perhaps even your wives) to end up being inescapable Trojan Horse monsters -- and all in the name of wanting to signal one's purity. I say that, because I assume that each time you mention this exception or that exception to being a proper husband or father, you aren't also insisting that you're the one demonstrating these negative examples of giving commands that are contrary to Christ.

I am insisting that I am not immune to this possibility, even if I am not doing so. And I want my wife to be able to bring this to my attention if I ever drift down a path I ought not.
Balam's donkey disregarded his prodding when the angel stood in their way. Things would likely not have ended well for either Balam or the donkey if the angel had been disregarded. Of course things went badly for Balam later on but for other reasons.

Our wives and children shouldn't be focussed on our potential for failure. We should be however, and constantly be guarding against it by proactively ordering our lives to make good decisions run without resistance and bad ones have as much opportunity for correction as possible.
I am not attempting to relativise truth or virtue signal. The truth of a matter must hold for both the mundane and exceptional cases. We ought to seek that in both the everyday circumstance where we are obedient to Christ and in the exceptional instance when we go off the deep end somehow that Christ still is obeyed and submitted to despite our moment of weakness or confusion.

So you have actually made her conscience her god.

Because at the end of the day, that is what she is to bow down to.

I am. 1 Peter 3:1-7
Excellent point, @Pacman. This will be one of those times when many of the Torah Keepers will part ways with the non-Torah-Keepers, though. The epistles of James and Peter were written to a strictly Hebraic audience, whereas -- especially by the time of his prison epistles -- Paul was writing and preaching to an almost exclusively Gentile audience; he even referred to the distinction by asserting that he had his own Gospel, delegated to him by Christ Himself. Paul, James and Peter met at least once in Jerusalem to confer on whose authority lay where.

I have to admit that I hadn't been considering the viewpoint of those who strive to adhere to the Jewish as well as the Gentile admonitions, and I apologize for that oversight. I would further state that what, while what he was writing was meant for an audience of mostly Messianic wives, that doesn't stop it from being endowed with great wisdom for anyone.

I assume, though, that we can fully agree that what we are essentially discussing in this thread is how women are expected to behave with the range of godly men with whom we interact here.

IOur wives and children shouldn't be focussed on our potential for failure.

I agree with @steve's observation, and I promise you, @Stranger, that I have been learning this lesson in a very hard way lately, because it may be appropriate under certain circumstances for wives to warn their husbands of danger (like, "Hey, watch out for that guy's rear bumper!"), but such circumstances are even more rare (given their lack of wisdom and experience) when it comes to one's children. It is never a child's place to judge hir parents or give hir parents' directions. And in my experience, this becomes a matter of, given them an inch, and they'll take a mile. Every human being has it in hir to become a tyrant, and irresponsible children given any degree of authority will rush headlong into tyrannizing a family.

Does the Bible make faith God when it says that that which is not according to faith is sin?
I have not made her bow down to conscience, only heed its warning.
If your assessment were correct then no instruction should ever be given which involves meeting a precondition before action.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yan
I will say this, and then I may just wander off.
Her conscience is more fallible than you are, yet you encourage her to obey it before obeying you.

You are to be subordinate and submitted to Him, but she does not bypass your authority to be under Him.
She is under both of you, but she only has one master.
Scripture is absolutely clear.
Ephesians 5:22-24 (KJV) 22 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. 24 Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so [let] the wives [be] to their own husbands in every thing.

It’s not a buffet that she can choose from, she is a representation of the Church and you represent Him in the relationship.

I have no authority apart from Him and if I am not under Him in a particular instruction then she does not need to bypass my authority, I have already divested myself of it.

Ok
Have a blessed day.

I agree with @steve's observation, and I promise you, @Stranger, that I have been learning this lesson in a very hard way lately, because it may be appropriate under certain circumstances for wives to warn their husbands of danger (like, "Hey, watch out for that guy's rear bumper!"), but such circumstances are even more rare (given their lack of wisdom and experience) when it comes to one's children. It is never a child's place to judge hir parents or give hir parents' directions. And in my experience, this becomes a matter of, given them an inch, and they'll take a mile. Every human being has it in hir to become a tyrant, and irresponsible children given any degree of authority will rush headlong into tyrannizing a family.

I aggree that it is not a child's place to judge their parents or presume to give them instruction. The parents should actively involve themselves in helping their children develop a sound capacity for judgement. When they are well developed in this regard they may find some inconsistentcies in how their parents lived. They then may correct for that in their lives when they are independent of us. I would consider this successful parenting.

The husband is obviously secondary to Christ. Christ is Lord of ALL.

The scriptures don't use such language. Here is what they do say:

"No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. "

and

"But I want you to know that the head of every man is Christ, the head of woman is man, and the head of Christ is God."

The wife obeys God THROUGH her husband.

I ask you this @Stranger, what if she is wrong? In that case a woman will disobey, thinking it is the right thing to do, but will be mistaken and sin.

What if a man is wrong and tells her to sin and she does it, is she culpable or is the person who gave to order?

And which one of the two is more likely to be wrong on average?

How would this work in any other hierarchical command structure in life?

Not her conscience, her emotion.

Yeshua is my master. YHWH is Yeshua's master and I am my woman's master. YHWH and Yeshua both demand 100% obedience and submission.
Very well put, Pacman. That's about the clearest way of putting it that I have seen lately. There must be no 'watering down' of our beliefs: as you say so well, obedience and submission must be 100%.

I'm wondering if you could provide us an example or two of how a wife could be simultaneously disobedient to us and obedient to Christ.
I'd like to see some examples too, because what Stranger is saying seems to me a flat out contradiction, and totally misunderstands the nature of a wife's obedience. But I'm willing to look at some examples, if you can find any from a real marriage.

I've been off and on lately, but mostly off. I'm trying to catch up.

I want to thank you @ostephenu for your thoughts on servant leadership. Though I may disagree on just some minor details of your original premise, I think the overall thesis is not only scripturally sound, but practically sound as well.

I understand that you are a practicing polygynist, and apparently successful at it as well. It's always nice to get insight from those who are actually in the game. It's easy for us who are in the stands, or even at home in our LazyBoys to shout out strategy to the actual first string varsity members while having never been picked for the squad.

Please continue to give your insights into what's made your plural marriage successful and ignore the Bronx cheers from the bleachers.

God bless.

I'm going to resurrect this thread because it's been on my mind a lot lately. And I think the discussion has been great, sooo much good discussion and good points so far. I'm going to try to distill the essence of the problem and hopefully avoid talking past each other. Please ask me to clarify if you think I'm in the wrong. Talking past each other is extremely easy to do especially with the written word in these small text based formats.

Should my wife disobey my command when it violates her conscience or what she thinks is right or good?
Should my child do the same?

If they do, and they are right, they have obeyed God (assuming the command actually violated God's law) and avoided sinning against God. They however sinned against God by disobeying their head.

Headship and Authority means you obey no matter if you think or "feel like" the thing is wrong.

I'll give an example borrowed from Michael Pearl on obedience.
Driving down a road in a pickup with a battery behind the bench seat, the door doesn't work properly and has to be opened from the outside. The battery starts fizzling and the driver (the husband) slams on the brakes, and orders the kids OUT. They don't wait to have the door opened, they bail out headfirst through the window obeying instantly and without questioning whether or not the head was right or wrong, in God's will or not. They simply obeyed. As they should. I don't expect my sons to question when I tell them to do something. I expect immediate obedience, if they are confused as to the why, they have been told they are free to ask why, but the first response must be cheerful obedience without grumbling or a bad attitude. They can ask why when the obedience is carried out, or during the act of obeying. If I am unable or unwilling to give an explanation, they continue to finish the task and go on about their day WITHOUT grumbling or complaining or questioning further.

If this model is followed and I am wrong. I am to blame. I have done wrong. I will suffer the consequences. And I will assess, pray, get myself in alignment with God, HE will chastise or admonish me. And I will lead better next time.

The same with my wife. If I give her a command, she is to obey the same way because I am her head. She does not, scripturally speaking have the authority to question me. I can go against God and give her that authority but I would be sinning against God by usurping HIS authority and changing the order that HE has laid out. If I tell her to do or not do something, she doesn't check me against scripture. She obeys. If her obedience is predicated upon reflection and holding my motives and actions up to the light of Scripture, then she is not obeying, she is not in subjection, she is in rebellion. When the centurion came and asked for healing for his servant he understood authority. We should likewise understand authority and headship similarly.
7... but say in a word, and my servant shall be healed.

8For I also am a man set under authority, having under me soldiers, and I say unto one, Go, and he goeth; and to another, Come, and he cometh; and to my servant, Do this, and he doeth it.

If I change the order of things. The consequence is my wife, or my children will start second guessing. This is planting seeds of doubt, rebellion, and disobedience. They start saying "what do I think should be done based on what I think God says." this is emphatically NOT what God has laid out for us in scripture as the order he has set forth. It is not my place to usurp His authority and change that because it makes me feel better. Sure it would be easier to think I have a safety net in them checking the truth for me. But that's MY job to make sure that I am in obedience and walking uprightly. It's my job to look at the path we are walking and determine if I am leading correctly. I would be abandoning my orders from the Creator of all Heaven and Earth if I distributed that authority piecemeal out to my wife and children.
I am ultimately responsible, I do not have authority to delegate that responsibility.

If I allow the order to be subverted from God's set order, I allow a twisted order to creep in. You could say a perverted order. I must not abrogate the responsibilities I have been given or the long term consequences may equal disaster and eternal horror for my wife or children. This is extremely serious stuff brothers.

If I am in subjection to a Project Manager for an 80 million dollar project (true story) I don't get to delegate the authority and responsibility to someone else. The PM would look at me and in fact everyone would look at me like I had a donkey growing out of my ear if I said I should or could do that. I can delegate tasks to accomplish the goal and purpose of the PM, but the authority and responsibility is set by a higher power and I quite literally cannot change where the authority and responsibility lie. If I make the wrong call, I am fired, and there might also be bad consequences for the Foreman who obeyed those orders. But more likely than not, the Foreman is going to say I was following orders, and he will keep his job.

God expects my children and wife to obey and it will be counted as righteousness. That's a heavy and amazing thing. He does not say "Obey if you think it's right".
1Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives;

2While they behold your chaste conversation coupled with fear.

3Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;

4But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.

5For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted in God, adorned themselves, being in subjection unto their own husbands:

6Even as Sara obeyed Abraham, calling him lord: whose daughters ye are, as long as ye do well, and are not afraid with any amazement.

To me it seems that when I fulfill my duties, even if it's hard, or even if I'm uncomfortable with being pushed past what is easy. I should obey and shoulder that burden. It removes an undue pressure from my wife to shoulder a burden that isn't for her to bear. It absolves my children of a responsibility that isn't theirs. It makes their way straighter, and their path smoother. It's my job to remove those stones and push the logs off the path as we go. It's my burden. I would be remiss if I asked them to check me daily. This trains their minds to jump when the boss says to do something. They will get the job done quickly without grumbling and questioning, they will return to the boss to get another job when they're done. This kind of attitude and behavior is unheard of in the working world. Those kinds of people get quickly promoted to high positions of power because of faithfulness and diligence. This is one of the utmost goals of a husband and father.

With all this said. I still struggle with the question of justice and obedience to God over a very sinful man. What is a wife to do if her husband wants her to help him rape and molest their 8 year old daughter? I say she should grab the shotgun and blast him into last week. But that's just me.

I'm just a man trying to figure this all out. And the more I learn the more I realize I know nothing.

How's that for a fun twist at the end of an argument? HAH!

I'm going to resurrect this thread because it's been on my mind a lot lately. And I think the discussion has been great, sooo much good discussion and good points so far. I'm going to try to distill the essence of the problem and hopefully avoid talking past each other. Please ask me to clarify if you think I'm in the wrong. Talking past each other is extremely easy to do especially with the written word in these small text based formats.

Should my wife disobey my command when it violates her conscience or what she thinks is right or good?
Should my child do the same?

If they do, and they are right, they have obeyed God (assuming the command actually violated God's law) and avoided sinning against God. They however sinned against God by disobeying their head.

Headship and Authority means you obey no matter if you think or "feel like" the thing is wrong.

I'll give an example borrowed from Michael Pearl on obedience.
Driving down a road in a pickup with a battery behind the bench seat, the door doesn't work properly and has to be opened from the outside. The battery starts fizzling and the driver (the husband) slams on the brakes, and orders the kids OUT. They don't wait to have the door opened, they bail out headfirst through the window obeying instantly and without questioning whether or not the head was right or wrong, in God's will or not. They simply obeyed. As they should. I don't expect my sons to question when I tell them to do something. I expect immediate obedience, if they are confused as to the why, they have been told they are free to ask why, but the first response must be cheerful obedience without grumbling or a bad attitude. They can ask why when the obedience is carried out, or during the act of obeying. If I am unable or unwilling to give an explanation, they continue to finish the task and go on about their day WITHOUT grumbling or complaining or questioning further.

If this model is followed and I am wrong. I am to blame. I have done wrong. I will suffer the consequences. And I will assess, pray, get myself in alignment with God, HE will chastise or admonish me. And I will lead better next time.

The same with my wife. If I give her a command, she is to obey the same way because I am her head. She does not, scripturally speaking have the authority to question me. I can go against God and give her that authority but I would be sinning against God by usurping HIS authority and changing the order that HE has laid out. If I tell her to do or not do something, she doesn't check me against scripture. She obeys. If her obedience is predicated upon reflection and holding my motives and actions up to the light of Scripture, then she is not obeying, she is not in subjection, she is in rebellion. When the centurion came and asked for healing for his servant he understood authority. We should likewise understand authority and headship similarly.
7... but say in a word, and my servant shall be healed.

8For I also am a man set under authority, having under me soldiers, and I say unto one, Go, and he goeth; and to another, Come, and he cometh; and to my servant, Do this, and he doeth it.

If I change the order of things. The consequence is my wife, or my children will start second guessing. This is planting seeds of doubt, rebellion, and disobedience. They start saying "what do I think should be done based on what I think God says." this is emphatically NOT what God has laid out for us in scripture as the order he has set forth. It is not my place to usurp His authority and change that because it makes me feel better. Sure it would be easier to think I have a safety net in them checking the truth for me. But that's MY job to make sure that I am in obedience and walking uprightly. It's my job to look at the path we are walking and determine if I am leading correctly. I would be abandoning my orders from the Creator of all Heaven and Earth if I distributed that authority piecemeal out to my wife and children.
I am ultimately responsible, I do not have authority to delegate that responsibility.

If I allow the order to be subverted from God's set order, I allow a twisted order to creep in. You could say a perverted order. I must not abrogate the responsibilities I have been given or the long term consequences may equal disaster and eternal horror for my wife or children. This is extremely serious stuff brothers.

If I am in subjection to a Project Manager for an 80 million dollar project (true story) I don't get to delegate the authority and responsibility to someone else. The PM would look at me and in fact everyone would look at me like I had a donkey growing out of my ear if I said I should or could do that. I can delegate tasks to accomplish the goal and purpose of the PM, but the authority and responsibility is set by a higher power and I quite literally cannot change where the authority and responsibility lie. If I make the wrong call, I am fired, and there might also be bad consequences for the Foreman who obeyed those orders. But more likely than not, the Foreman is going to say I was following orders, and he will keep his job.

God expects my children and wife to obey and it will be counted as righteousness. That's a heavy and amazing thing. He does not say "Obey if you think it's right".
1Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives;

2While they behold your chaste conversation coupled with fear.

3Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;

4But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.

5For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted in God, adorned themselves, being in subjection unto their own husbands:

6Even as Sara obeyed Abraham, calling him lord: whose daughters ye are, as long as ye do well, and are not afraid with any amazement.

To me it seems that when I fulfill my duties, even if it's hard, or even if I'm uncomfortable with being pushed past what is easy. I should obey and shoulder that burden. It removes an undue pressure from my wife to shoulder a burden that isn't for her to bear. It absolves my children of a responsibility that isn't theirs. It makes their way straighter, and their path smoother. It's my job to remove those stones and push the logs off the path as we go. It's my burden. I would be remiss if I asked them to check me daily. This trains their minds to jump when the boss says to do something. They will get the job done quickly without grumbling and questioning, they will return to the boss to get another job when they're done. This kind of attitude and behavior is unheard of in the working world. Those kinds of people get quickly promoted to high positions of power because of faithfulness and diligence. This is one of the utmost goals of a husband and father.

With all this said. I still struggle with the question of justice and obedience to God over a very sinful man. What is a wife to do if her husband wants her to help him rape and molest their 8 year old daughter? I say she should grab the shotgun and blast him into last week. But that's just me.

I'm just a man trying to figure this all out. And the more I learn the more I realize I know nothing.

How's that for a fun twist at the end of an argument? HAH!
If you haven’t done so you should find a copy of Debbie Pearl’s “Created to be his Helpmeet”. She covers a lot of this. But here are a few thoughts:
It is possible for a woman to be a very good wife to a prison inmate. In fact, putting your husband in jail to keep him from committing mortal sins is possibly the highest form of being a helpmeet. Such a woman who then remains a loyal wife is fulfilling all of her obligations.

Of course these worse case scenarios are a great way to make excuses for not doing what’s right but they have very little real application. They just don’t apply to 99.99% of situations.

BUT, there is an escape hatch. A woman can leave her husband IF she remains single or reconciled to him eventually. If his demands are so egregious that she just can’t live with him, and she is willing to live single, then she can separate.

Back