• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

What is Hell?

Agree or Disagree, Post Why.

• Total voters
He did when He gave us a free will.

If I design a robot in very detail knowing every movement dose it have free will?

Be back later.

I had a situation a while back when I was surprised about a decision that someone made. I kinda muttered to Yah “I didn’t see that coming!”
I felt like He responded with “Me neither”.
I was a bit disconcerted and asked him how that could be since He had all knowledge.
His response “I hadn’t watched the video”.

You can argue that 16 ways from Friday, but to me it simply means that he has access to all knowledge, but He doesn’t necessarily look at it all in real time.
The fact that a sparrow can’t fall to the ground without God knowing about it, the fact that He numbers the hairs of our heads, and the fact that He knows the end from the beginning, among other things, makes me pretty certain that whoever you are conversing with isn’t the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

The fact that a sparrow can’t fall to the ground without God knowing about it, the fact that He numbers the hairs of our heads, and the fact that He knows the end from the beginning, among other things, makes me pretty certain that whoever you are conversing with isn’t the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.
Oooo, that’s a burn!

Oooo, that’s a burn!
Not meant to be a burn, but how do you reconcile those things. We’re supposed to test every spirit, and no matter where someone lines up on hearing the voice of God, that voice contradicts Scripture. I am obligated to disbelieve it and to point out that it is not in keeping with what is revealed about God in Scripture.

No, because you cannot make free will. Only simulate it. Free will is something only God can create.

Humans can create an imitation brain with a computer, but cannot create an imitation soul.
Computers can only do math. When has computer ever got original idea?

Not meant to be a burn, but how do you reconcile those things. We’re supposed to test every spirit, and no matter where someone lines up on hearing the voice of God, that voice contradicts Scripture. I am obligated to disbelieve it and to point out that it is not in keeping with what is revealed about God in Scripture.
I appreciate your concern, we just understand things differently.

His knowledge is irrelevant to our lives.
I may be misunderstanding you here so please forgive me but we must keep in mind the providential work of God in the affairs of our lives. In Acts 16 we read of God bringing Paul to Philippi. In v:6-7 we read, Now when they had gone through Phrygia and the region of Galatia, they were forbidden by the Holy Spirit to preach the word in Asia. After they had come to Mysia, they tried to go into Bithynia, but the Spirit did not permit them.

The intervention by the Spirit was direct and deliberate preventing Paul from going where he intended. So we see that God does providentially work in specific ways to accomplish His will in the lives of individuals.

I agree with your points @frederick, I think you are misunderstanding me as I wasn't talking about that. What I meant is that the fact that God knows the future does not change the fact that we have free will.

God knows whether or not I will succumb to a temptation - yet I still have to go through the temptation and make a completely real conscious decision on whether to give in or resist. The fact that God knows I will successfully resist it does not make it any easier for me - as I don't know that. Nor does the fact that God knows I will give in to a temptation give me any excuse when I actually do - I still failed, it's not his fault, he just happened to know it already.

I agree with your points @frederick, I think you are misunderstanding me as I wasn't talking about that. What I meant is that the fact that God knows the future does not change the fact that we have free will.

God knows whether or not I will succumb to a temptation - yet I still have to go through the temptation and make a completely real conscious decision on whether to give in or resist. The fact that God knows I will successfully resist it does not make it any easier for me - as I don't know that. Nor does the fact that God knows I will give in to a temptation give me any excuse when I actually do - I still failed, it's not his fault, he just happened to know it already.
Appreciate the clarification. Thanks

For all hell/anhinilation fans.

Are you certain concept of hell even exist in Bible? Just because you can read word hell in Bible doesn't mean it is true. Maybe translators are lying or translate according to their own "correct" theology.

Unicorns are good example from KJV. Who is right? Translators or palaeontologists who can't find any unicorn example?

How to expect monogamy-only will translate following:
Max one wife only.

It follows that to find truth we can never rely on just one passage or even just words. We have do go deeper. What is Lord character, what are hints of something deeper? All Bible todays are translated assuming monogamy-only is correct, but careful reader will notice discrepancies like lack of polygamy prohibition.

Now, back to hell. Is this concept something in accordance with Lord's character? Is eternal torment or death just reward for lack of belief in single person?

If son of human father doesn't believe his father what is proper punishment? Fix disbelief permanently with shotgun? Such father would be called crazy today.

What crime has your son to do to deserve permanent punishment? Rape his mother? Well, if you have eternity on disposal you could torture him till he admit he is wrong and sorry. There is no need for any permanant solution.

Do you truly believe that unbelievers in moment of death are so broken that Lord can't fix them in fullness of time? Or that he won't? All for single decision in infinitesimaly part of time. Isn't such permanent punishment cruelty? Remember, unbelievers can always do their punishment for their sins whatever long it takes.

Is hell according to our Lord's desires? Desire for companionship and love. Yes, there is desire for justice, but isn't desire for love stronger. Otherwise, why to forgive sins?

For all hell/anhinilation fans.

Are you certain concept of hell even exist in Bible? Just because you can read word hell in Bible doesn't mean it is true. Maybe translators are lying or translate according to their own "correct" theology.

Unicorns are good example from KJV. Who is right? Translators or palaeontologists who can't find any unicorn example?

How to expect monogamy-only will translate following:
Max one wife only.

It follows that to find truth we can never rely on just one passage or even just words. We have do go deeper. What is Lord character, what are hints of something deeper? All Bible todays are translated assuming monogamy-only is correct, but careful reader will notice discrepancies like lack of polygamy prohibition.

Now, back to hell. Is this concept something in accordance with Lord's character? Is eternal torment or death just reward for lack of belief in single person?

If son of human father doesn't believe his father what is proper punishment? Fix disbelief permanently with shotgun? Such father would be called crazy today.

What crime has your son to do to deserve permanent punishment? Rape his mother? Well, if you have eternity on disposal you could torture him till he admit he is wrong and sorry. There is no need for any permanant solution.

Do you truly believe that unbelievers in moment of death are so broken that Lord can't fix them in fullness of time? Or that he won't? All for single decision in infinitesimaly part of time. Isn't such permanent punishment cruelty? Remember, unbelievers can always do their punishment for their sins whatever long it takes.

Is hell according to our Lord's desires? Desire for companionship and love. Yes, there is desire for justice, but isn't desire for love stronger. Otherwise, why to forgive sins?
All of these mental gymnastics, but there is a downside to living a life in opposition to your Creator. We assuredly do not understand it perfectly, but it exists.
Disprove the details all you want, but the concept exists. And seriously, that’s all we really need to know.

All of these mental gymnastics, but there is a downside to living a life in opposition to your Creator. We assuredly do not understand it perfectly, but it exists.
Disprove the details all you want, but the concept exists. And seriously, that’s all we really need to know.
I like do to mind expanders. Time for one about theology checking.

Most people check their doctrines by checking how consistent is with rest of Bible.

But doctrine can imply something about Lord's character. And this implications can be checked for consistency again rest of Bible and other doctrines against Lord's character.

For all of us here it shouldn't be hard to prove that our Lord is polygamous and therefore monogamy-only is false doctrine. Same principle here.

Haven't you noticed how our Lord prefers mercy and forgiveness and avoids punishment? Yes, He will punish, but that is more like plan C instead of plan A. And even when punishing goal is that we come back to Him.

If He is such as when we are alive won't He be same after we die? Does His behaviour changes or not? Therefore same treatment await us, whatever in this life or next, saved or unsaved.

Hell/anhinilation both imply that Lord prefers final punisment instead of restorative punishment which isn't consistent with rest of Bible.

Second reason that love pushes out fear. Isn't love reason to be with Him and follow His law? Yet, hell implies opposite where fear of punishment is reason for keeping faith. That can't be. Since love and fear don't mix together only one method can be used. Which one?

Haven't you noticed how our Lord prefers mercy and forgiveness and avoids punishment?
The example that we are given in regards to Ananias and Sapphira is a warning that we would do well to heed.

The example that we are given in regards to Ananias and Sapphira is a warning that we would do well to heed.
Exception.

How many years has passed after Israel has broken coventant before being set to exile?

How much adulterers are killed by God directly after commiting act?

How many years has passed after Israel has broken coventant before being set to exile?
You just proved that He did bring judgment, albeit not immediately.
How much adulterers are killed by God directly after commiting act?
These are requirements that we are to enforce.

You just proved that He did bring judgment, albeit not immediately.
That is point. Judgement is last option, everything comes before. And judgement in this world doesn't imply it is final for all times.

If He is fan of judgement, judgement would be plan A, not forgiveness and restoration.

That is point. Judgement is last option, everything comes before. And judgement in this world doesn't imply it is final for all times.

If He is fan of judgement, judgement would be plan A, not forgiveness and restoration.
You are ignoring most of His judgments, starting with the very first one, Adam and Eve. Most people consider the first occurrence as an indicator.

Cain’s offering wasn’t accepted, judgement.
Cain was cursed for spilling his brothers life, judgement.

The first three offenses were dealt with right away.

C’mon, man!

Back