• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

What is Hell?

Agree or Disagree, Post Why.

• Total voters
The punishment is frequently called the "second death", and to me that term "second death" seems to be contradicted if it actually means "eternal life - but with pain". The only way I can see of reconciling ALL the verses on this, rather than just selected proof-texts, is to see punishment, eternity, and death all as real - and combine them as stated above (punishment in the lake of fire leading to death for eternity). Anything else seems to me to be falling into one or the other ditch, taking one set of proof-texts so strongly that you have to redefine the others.
This is a significant point we agree on.

I believe He will judge them justly, in terms of how they responded to what information was available to them about God. I think the results will surprise all of us.

You're still mixing up "knowledge" and "control" - we just had this discussion on a different thread. The fact that God knows everything does not in any way imply that He intends to control everything, or has failed if He chooses not to.

If G-d Knows your fate and every detail of your life, how can you or I change that?
G-d Owns Everything including satan and all of his fallen angels and satan must ask G-d for permission.

Attachments

• G-dView.jpg
    G-dView.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 5
If G-d Knows your fate and every detail of your life, how can you or I change that?
I think a major issue when thinking about this subject is that we forget that God does not necessarily exist within the confines of our reality. What doesn't make sense to us makes sense to Him.

I think any major argument on this tends to break down into the typical Armenian vs. Calvin's debate (which tends to be an excercise in semantics and is ultimately not worthwhile).

God, in His sovereign power, has allowed mankind to act against His will. None of us could topple the ultimate plan of The Father, but He has allowed us control of our own choices.

I try not to think of it like "fate" or "destiny" but rather a plan for my life, made by God, which I can (and will) follow.

If we are all puppets then sin doesn't exist, because sin is the transgression of God's Law, and if God is controlling our actions to do something, it cannot be against His will.

If your name is written in the Lambs Book of Life, bueno!
But be careful how you live your life, because your decisions can be an eraser.
Why would God, who is omniscient, write someone’s name in the Book of Life if he knows it’s going to get erased? What would be the point?

I think a major issue when thinking about this subject is that we forget that God does not necessarily exist within the confines of our reality. What doesn't make sense to us makes sense to Him.

I think any major argument on this tends to break down into the typical Armenian vs. Calvin's debate (which tends to be an excercise in semantics and is ultimately not worthwhile).

God, in His sovereign power, has allowed mankind to act against His will. None of us could topple the ultimate plan of The Father, but He has allowed us control of our own choices.

I try not to think of it like "fate" or "destiny" but rather a plan for my life, made by God, which I can (and will) follow.

If we are all puppets then sin doesn't exist, because sin is the transgression of God's Law, and if God is controlling our actions to do something, it cannot be against His will.

It is very complex, I don't believe we will ever know as long as we live. But I believe it is good to think and ask.

Why would God, who is omniscient, write someone’s name in the Book of Life if he knows it’s going to get erased? What would be the point?

I agree, we are a well written story for Him Reasons even if we never understand why.

Why wouldn’t He write it in if the person is walking the walk?
Do you imagine Him saying “That’s great that you are making good decisions, but you are going to fail sometime down the road, so I’m just not going to put you in the book”?

I think we're experiencing Quantum Physics versus Physics.

The key difference between quantum physics and particle physics is that quantum physics deals with the smallest scales of energy levels of atoms whereas particle physics deals with particles that constitute matter and radiation. Quantum physics and particle physics are two major branches of physics.

I Believe we feel Free Will but when you step back to the level of G-d you no longer see or feel free will.

Why wouldn’t He write it in if the person is walking the walk?
Do you imagine Him saying “That’s great that you are making good decisions, but you are going to fail sometime down the road, so I’m just not going to put you in the book”?
Is walking the walk what saves us?

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Yup. As in the kind of people who think they know how to do a thing and then say, "Here, hold my beer and watch this!"

Again you are confusing knowledge with control. God knows what the end result will be, as he can already see it, looking from outside time. But that makes no difference at all to the fact that we must live our life, make hard choices, resist temptation etc. We don't even try to resist or achieve that outcome, because we don't know what it is. His knowledge is irrelevant to our lives.

I had a situation a while back when I was surprised about a decision that someone made. I kinda muttered to Yah “I didn’t see that coming!”
I felt like He responded with “Me neither”.
I was a bit disconcerted and asked him how that could be since He had all knowledge.
His response “I hadn’t watched the video”.

You can argue that 16 ways from Friday, but to me it simply means that he has access to all knowledge, but He doesn’t necessarily look at it all in real time.

God knows what the end result will be, as he can already see it, looking from outside time.

I've said in the past that God is omnitemporal.

Because if God is unchanged by experience or time then it logically follows that He exists not necessarily outside of time but across all of it. He exists in the past, present, and future all at once.

Which should lay quite a burden on our hearts because God can then see us commit sin at the same time He can see Jesus suffering on the cross. I can't even imagine the pain we must cause for our Creator if this is true.

Again you are confusing knowledge with control. God knows what the end result will be, as he can already see it, looking from outside time. But that makes no difference at all to the fact that we must live our life, make hard choices, resist temptation etc. We don't even try to resist or achieve that outcome, because we don't know what it is. His knowledge is irrelevant to our lives.

Can G-d give up control?

I had a situation a while back when I was surprised about a decision that someone made. I kinda muttered to Yah “I didn’t see that coming!”
I felt like He responded with “Me neither”.
I was a bit disconcerted and asked him how that could be since He had all knowledge.
His response “I hadn’t watched the video”.

You can argue that 16 ways from Friday, but to me it simply means that he has access to all knowledge, but He doesn’t necessarily look at it all in real time.

The way The Bible is written it sometimes seems that way.
Can G-d not know whats happens when it happening?

Just an Idea: What (if) G-d only sees when we "Cry Out Loud"?
Could that be why we have large amounts of time where G-d seem to be gone?
Also He tells us 2 or more people and He will be there.
That is why I ask as many people to Pray.

If that is so we should be Praying much more and why I Pray so much aday.
Children who calls their Father often hopefully will be on better terms.

May Hashem Forgive us All and May we all be with Him when it is our time. Amen

The way The Bible is written it sometimes seems that way.
Can G-d not know whats happens when it happening?

Just an Idea: What (if) G-d only sees when we "Cry Out Loud"?
Could that be why we have large amounts of time where G-d seem to be gone?
Also He tells us 2 or more people and He will be there.
That is why I ask as many people to Pray.

If that is so we should be Praying much more and why I Pray so much aday.
Children who calls their Father often hopefully will be on better terms.

May Hashem Forgive us All and May we all be with Him when it is our time. Amen
He is omnipresent, so He is always with us.
Usually, we are ignoring Him and doing our own thing.

Back