• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

How to bring up Biblical marriage

I can't resist, but maybe you have chosen wrong sister? May I also recommend "taming the screw" on her? At least saboteur will become ally.
I don't know what you mean here, I expect most others won't get it either. I assume you mean "taming the shrew", but still I think you need to explain this more if it's an important point.

I don't know what you mean here, I expect most others won't get it either. I assume you mean "taming the shrew", but still I think you need to explain this more if it's an important point.
Well, sister is against. According to tone of report she is sabotaging potential marriage. If this continues, marriage won't happen.

@FollowingHim is right. I do mean "taming the shrew. For not familiar this is name of Shakespeare's novel. Central topic is one man marrying very disobedient woman and his successful effort into making her very obedient.

So, if sister passes "taming process" she won't be obstacle to marriage. Maybe, she even becomes third lady 😅

But they are here.

Do you expect bottom feeder to live without sex and just accept their sexless fate? Won't happen.
I expect Yah-fearing women to not give them sex.
They will find it where they can, that’s non of my business. (Rosie Palm isn’t all that busy.)

It is amazingly different from our perspective.

Marrying a man in a mono marriage has few societal costs to a woman. She can expect to keep her friends, her job, and her family. She can also expect to have no one act or behave differently toward her in public.
I fully understand that and know full well about the cost. What I was referring to is being the man who attracts women. If a guy isn't around women and isn't attractive to women, he has a serious challenge ahead of him in finding any suitable wife; first, second, or more. Cheers

I’m prepared to get kicked out of church. I just don’t necessarily feel it will happen. If I show up with two wives I may quietly be asked to leave, however short of that I feel like I will be heard and listened to. Especially since I’ve personally known and am good friends with the entire church staff including the pastor and deacons. I’ve sat on every imaginable church board and have made decisions on behalf of the church. I was on the pulpit committee when we hired the current pastor. Maybe I’m wrong about all this. I guess we’ll see.
I would then recommend probing the deacons first. They make the decisions in a lot of churches. The pastor is usually beholden to them and the elders. Get enough of them on board and the pastor will be more likely to go along with it, especially when he holds meetings with them and sees where they are at.

Nothing. I just haven’t felt the need to up until this point. I will though.
That's fine and I agree. If it isn't relevant, why raise it? There are lots of things to discuss that are relevant to whatever is going on at the time. If the topic needs to be brought up, then it needs to be brought up.

Well, sister is against. According to tone of report she is sabotaging potential marriage. If this continues, marriage won't happen.

@FollowingHim is right. I do mean "taming the shrew. For not familiar this is name of Shakespeare's novel. Central topic is one man marrying very disobedient woman and his successful effort into making her very obedient.

So, if sister passes "taming process" she won't be obstacle to marriage. Maybe, she even becomes third lady 😅
And I thought there was another book that was using a play on words to mean something not so PG rated.

That's fine and I agree. If it isn't relevant, why raise it? There are lots of things to discuss that are relevant to whatever is going on at the time. If the topic needs to be brought up, then it needs to be brought up.
And when you do bring it up, bring it up in the form of a question.

Having said that, I was able to bring it up with the worship leader, and I am still in the choir and the orchestra where we attend. I guess he or I am the 1 out of 20. Well, in the church I was at previously, I brought it up with the worship leader and was still able to remain in the orchestra for quite a while.

Woman talk. You should assume your potential has told everyone close to her.

I can't resist, but maybe you have chosen wrong sister? May I also recommend "taming the screw" on her? At least saboteur will become ally.

She has. Including her sister who has sent me nasty messages. I don't care. It doesn't really bother me.

I would then recommend probing the deacons first. They make the decisions in a lot of churches. The pastor is usually beholden to them and the elders. Get enough of them on board and the pastor will be more likely to go along with it, especially when he holds meetings with them and sees where they are at.
Our church is more of a pastor led church than deacon led church. They usually agree with whatever the pastor wants to do.

And when you do bring it up, bring it up in the form of a question.

Having said that, I was able to bring it up with the worship leader, and I am still in the choir and the orchestra where we attend. I guess he or I am the 1 out of 20. Well, in the church I was at previously, I brought it up with the worship leader and was still able to remain in the orchestra for quite a while.
How did they react to you bringing up polygamy?

She has. Including her sister who has sent me nasty messages. I don't care. It doesn't really bother me.
Sister could be your biggest problem now. Don't you see it? She has to be at least neutral or slightly negative.

Otherwise, she could constantly sip poison into her potential ears. Or your potential isn't willing to lose her sister for you.

And why is now idea of talking with pastor getting popular? Let's see. Already unpopular idea, let's try to spread it even futhrer. Won't this make spreader even more unpopular?

You need allies on your side and to neutralize opponents. If momentum is on opponent side, then even allies will change side. It's not rational for them to join you in becoming pariah.

I would go for opponent neutralization. I see no reason why even more people should know for your little adventure.

EDIT: Corrected words

Last edited:
Your question assumes that they could find a good man that doesn’t have crazy (polygynous) ideas.
The point is that good men are like parking spaces, all the good ones are taken and all that is left are the Handicap ones.
(I know it isn’t universally true and it also applies to the other gender.)

If a woman wants a good guy, she’s probably going to have to share.
like two or three motorcycles in the same parking spot? If she were a motorcycle, would she be a Honda(smooth and quiet) or Harley(boisterous and leaves a mess everywhere) or ?

like two or three motorcycles in the same parking spot? If she were a motorcycle, would she be a Honda(smooth and quiet) or Harley(boisterous and leaves a mess everywhere) or ?
Or a Vespa, sturdy and you can always count on it. Less fancy than a Honda?

How did they react to you bringing up polygamy?
They both disagreed. The former worship pastor was a bit more accusatory about it though. The current one, all he did was try to refute it with I Cor 7:2 and Matt 19:6. When I tried to explain that the two that are no longer two, but one flesh, he said that that was a stretch. I am not going to try to pursuade him with Scripture. That is for him to investigate, if he so desires to, and I am hoping and praying that he will.

See her sister is not the one who has to go through life without a husband. She may be the chief negativity instigator.

They both disagreed. The former worship pastor was a bit more accusatory about it though. The current one, all he did was try to refute it with I Cor 7:2 and Matt 19:6. When I tried to explain that the two that are no longer two, but one flesh, he said that that was a stretch. I am not going to try to pursuade him with Scripture. That is for him to investigate, if he so desires to, and I am hoping and praying that he will.
So they just completely ignore the mountain of other verses that are pro-polygyny and cherry pick one or two that supposedly support their case. Sounds about right.

See her sister is not the one who has to go through life without a husband. She may be the cheif negativity instigator.
Her entire family is being negative. We have been messaged nasty messages from more than one person. I don't really care anymore. Unless God changes hearts, there is really nothing I can do. I have provided ample scriptural basis for it. They don't want to listen. I did what I could. They can't refute scripture so they just go into other tangents and arguments that have nothing to do with it. Either that or make threats. I'm done.

Back