• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Titus 1:15 and polygamy

My position in this case is same as Gary North who has done more Bible based research.So you aren't going against me alone, you also have to defeat Gary's arguments.
Since you haven’t brought any of his arguments to the table, all we have is your opinions.

You haven’t even come close to supporting the idea that it was only the poor who weren’t to be charged interest.
Jews were specifically prohibited from lending to other Jews “on interest.””

Also I know usury history in Medieval Europe. Church did try to forbid any payment of interest. It has failed because interest is emergent property of human nature and this world. You can't stop it, only force it underground.

Such is the case with all sins. That's no justification to engage in them.

@rockfox, @steve
Have you considered than incorrect beliefs about economics are clouding your beliefs about Scripture? Another reason could be because modern monetary system and laws does favor bankers.

You like your appeals to authority. Economists. Gary North. I've lived and observed long enough to realize modern economics isn't all it's cracked up to be. My beliefs discussed here came from personal search of the scriptures on the question of debt, not from economics beliefs. Only later did I increasingly realize the folly and fraud in modern economics and it's purposes for our banker overlords.

As a servant of Christ I take my opinion from the scriptures, not what economic theorists, who are often wrong, believe. History and present events are bearing out the profitability of that approach. I give you a verse prohibiting debt and your retort is the economists say that can't work? They are your authority.

You like your appeals to authority. Economists. Gary North. I've lived and observed long enough to realize modern economics isn't all it's cracked up to be. My beliefs discussed here came from personal search of the scriptures on the question of debt, not from economics beliefs. Only later did I increasingly realize the folly and fraud in modern economics and it's purposes for our banker overlords.
I didn't appeal to any economists or Gary North. I know enough of economics to derive conclusions myself.

If two possible logical explanations exists, you can't know which one is right. Therefore, in order to disprove one explanation you have to defeat both my and Gary's arguments.

We both agree that modern economics is crap. That's thanks to using epistemiology of natural science in social science. I won't explain this idiocy. What you are missing is that Gary and I both belong to Austrian School of economics which uses epistemilogy similar to math. Neverending chains of pure logic.
As a servant of Christ I take my opinion from the scriptures, not what economic theorists, who are often wrong, believe. History and present events are bearing out the profitability of that approach. I give you a verse prohibiting debt and your retort is the economists say that can't work? They are your authority.
I have asked you 5 Biblical question and I have received only one answer. I haven't received explanation why in Parable of Talent Jesus in OK with money lending? You claim this is sin.

Also, why here exist limiter to only poor people:
Thou shalt not give him money upon usury, nor lend him victuals [food -- "vittles"] for increase (Leviticus 25:37).
Thou shalt not lend upon usury to thy brother: usury of money, usury of victuals, usury of any thing that is lent upon usury (Deuteronomy 23:19).

Again verses directly against your claim.

And all my economics arguments are still valid and testify against your claim. Why? Because all laws of nature describe reality. Since Bible also describes reality there can't contradiction. Otherwise, Lord has made a error.

Your thinking is good example of Bible qouter. You take/find out Bible inteprentation and forget to check implications which break reality. Even when somebody finds your reasoning wanting, your still believe you have found out truth. Why? Here is my magical Bible verse.

Above means that arguments from nature are valid theological arguments. We are slighty polygamous specie because in polygamous species males are larger than females, while in monogamous species males and female are same size. If Lord wanted us monogamy-only, males and females would be same size. Since there is difference in size, we can use this fact against monogamy-only club. See, elegant proof from nature.

Do you even understand what is actually interest rate? In another universe with being capable of reasoning and time, interest rate will exist. It is part of our world as time is. Forbidding usage of interest rate is same as forbidding usage of time. Lunacy.

This is main reason why usury definiton was changed after medieval time. People have finally figured out nature of interest rate. And medieval merchants did use interest rate, only indirectly.

Why all this effort from me? Because 80% of human suffering comes from accepted falsehoods in economics and political science. All Satan can do is support us in our delusions. Without delusions, he would be powerless. Amd because good human life requires acceptance of all truth.

I haven't received explanation why in Parable of Talent Jesus in OK with money lending? You claim this is sin.
There is zero proof that they were lending to fellow Jews.
They were occupied by Roman forces and we have evidence that they gambled. It’s not much of a stretch to believe that they borrowed against their coming pay.
There were also other peoples about.

There is zero proof that they were lending to fellow Jews.
They were occupied by Roman forces and we have evidence that they gambled. It’s not much of a stretch to believe that they borrowed against their coming pay.
There were also other peoples about.
Adultery would never be used as example what to do because it sin.

Lending is used as example what to do, so it can't be sin.

@rockfox claims is that rule of 0% interest rate is universal, not specific for some group. Therefore Parable of Talents applies to him claim.

Also, why here exist limiter to only poor people:
Thou shalt not give him money upon usury, nor lend him victuals [food -- "vittles"] for increase (Leviticus 25:37).
Thou shalt not lend upon usury to thy brother: usury of money, usury of victuals, usury of any thing that is lent upon usury (Deuteronomy 23:19).

Again verses directly against your claim.

These contradict me how? As I said, there are limits upon lending in the Bible which basically make it uneconomic as a commercial enterprise. It was meant for helping your neighbor. No commercial lending in the US meets the restrictions in either the OT or NT.

These contradict me how? As I said, there are limits upon lending in the Bible which basically make it uneconomic as a commercial enterprise. It was meant for helping your neighbor. No commercial lending in the US meets the restrictions in either the OT or NT.

26 But his master answered him, ‘You wicked and slothful servant! You knew that I reap where I have not sown and gather where I scattered no seed? 27 Then you ought to have invested my money with the bankers, and at my coming I should have received what was my own with interest. 28 So take the talent from him and give it to him who has the ten talents.

Verse 27 is key. Jesus expects collecting interest. So commercial lending, whose purpose is to earn money is OK.

Sorry, but are you KIDDING? 'Unsound' NOT-money is the very basis of the entire, fetid, stinking, unconstitutional, and abomination-based system (His Word) that is CREATED from usury.
Issue is interest rate greater than 0% sin or not. My position it is not. There is also 0% charity loan for poor people.

Question isn't what is legal money according to Bible, what is good money, is Bitcoin OK, what Constution says or any else topic.

Issue is interest rate greater than 0% sin or not...

Sorry, but no. 0% on "abomination" is what, compounded?

You can't charge "interest" on stolen property. The issue isn't math, it's rebellion: theft. and building upon it.

Last edited:
Topic isn't sound money, but usury. Not connected.

They could hardly be less connected. Usury is the entire basis of our monetary system and the creation of our money.

26 But his master answered him, ‘You wicked and slothful servant! You knew that I reap where I have not sown and gather where I scattered no seed? 27 Then you ought to have invested my money with the bankers, and at my coming I should have received what was my own with interest. 28 So take the talent from him and give it to him who has the ten talents.

Verse 27 is key. Jesus expects collecting interest. So commercial lending, whose purpose is to earn money is OK.

Spoken like a banker. Do you work in the finance industry?

You do abuse to the parable, taking literally the example of a master who was "a hard man, reaping where you did not sow, and gathering from where you did not scatter." as justification. This is a parable, and not about money. And to the extent it is about money, those details aren't how God asks us to use money.

And if you lend to those from whom you hope to receive back, what credit is that to you? For even sinners lend to sinners to receive as much back. But love your enemies, do good, and lend, hoping for nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High.

How is commercial lending for profit, with interest, liens, mortgages, repossessions and the like "hoping for nothing in return"? You can't get there from here.

Sorry, but no. 0% on "abomination" is what, compounded?

You can't charge "interest" on stolen property. The issue isn't math, it's rebellion: theft. and building upon it.
They could hardly be less connected. Usury is the entire basis of our monetary system and the creation of our money.
Just because current monetary system is debt based, doesn't mean they are all. Ancient and medieval monetary system were metal based and question of usury has existed. Not the same topic.

Spoken like a banker. Do you work in the finance industry?
No.
You do abuse to the parable, taking literally the example of a master who was "a hard man, reaping where you did not sow, and gathering from where you did not scatter." as justification. This is a parable, and not about money. And to the extent it is about money, those details aren't how God asks us to use money.

I don't get how you in verse 27 don't see interest. It is even mention as word.
So what if it parable?

By the way, if something still doesn't get it. I don't claim interest is point in parable, but is mentioned in positive light. Why? Because it is instruction from master which isn't explicitly overriden later as something bad/evil.

Would Jesus use adultery is any parable as example we should do? No sin would in any way be in any parable be mentioned as something positive. Why would Lord speak positive about something he hates?
How is commercial lending for profit, with interest, liens, mortgages, repossessions and the like "hoping for nothing in return"? You can't get there from here.
I don't see a problem here. There are commercial loans for money and charity loans for good acts. Charity is mandatory only for poor.

I have read also whole Luke 6 chapter. Good works is theme which doesn't imply that all commercial loans are forbidden. It can only mean that charity loans are good and not a step more. Same as marriage. Good in itself, unmmaried state isn't forbidden.

Anyway, I'm out of this conversation. I don't see how anybody could be persuaded, so it is unprofitable to continue.

I've been thinking about polygamy in light of the principle set forth in this verse.

"To the pure all things are pure, but to those who are defiled and unbelieving nothing is pure; but even their mind and conscience are defiled." (Titus 1:15 NKJV)

The man (or woman) who has his heart and mind set on the Lord Jesus Christ, and our Father in Heaven is pure. This man seeks to serve and please his Master, not himself. He lives by faith. His heart is set on the love of God, and love of neighbor. Since the man is pure in heart, everything is pure for him.

There are also other men (and women), men who do not fear God, men who do not trust, hope in, and follow Jesus Christ. These men seek to gratify themselves. They seek their own benefit even when doing so harms others. This man acts as though he himself is the center of the universe. He walks in fear, pride, covetousness, and ultimately despair. He may claim to have faith, but it isn't genuine. Nothing is pure for this man.

I take the "everything" described in this passage to pertain to the "everything of normal life", and do not believe it to include specific things forbidden by God.

Homosexuality is fundamentally evil. It cannot be pure no matter what the state of one's heart. Likewise, adultery is always wrong, as are murder, the dishonoring of father and mother, and many other prohibited things.

Most things are lawful. These lawful things will be pure for the pure man, but still impure to the unclean man. In short, the impure man sins even when doing those things that are generally lawful.

The pure man may drink alcohol, while exercising moderation, self control, and praising God. The impure will misuse and abuse alcohol.

The pure man will eat his food with a thankful heart, praising God. The impure man sins in his eating, since his delight is solely in the food itself, and not the Giver of the food.

The pure man works hard, saves and invests money wisely, and shares generously, because he knows his Father in Heaven cares for him. The faithless man sets his hope on money. He trusts money to keep him safe, and give him the things his soul desires. This man does evil even in his working, saving, investing, and giving.

I think marriage and family also fit this category. The pure man fixes his eyes on the Lord Jesus Christ. He loves, provides for, protects, and leads his family.

If he has one wife, he will delight in her and love her as Christ loved the Church. If the Lord chooses to give him more than one wife, then he will thank God for each of them, and seek to reflect Christ in the way he leads each one individually, and the whole family corporately.

The pure man serves God when single, if he has one wife, if he has more than one, if his wife or wives leave him, or if she/or they die. Whatever his circumstances, the pure man will serve God.

The faithless man offends God when he is single. He offends God when he has one wife. He offends God if he has multiple wives. He offends God in divorce, and offends Gof in death. Whatever his circumstances, the impure man does evil. The impure man even transgresses when doing generally lawful things.

We should all examine our own hearts and lives to see whether we are walking by faith, as pure men.
What is exactly dishonest weight?

I consider this to be more like merchant setting his scale to 10 kg when correct value is 9 kg.
I believe as long as you honor GOD’s calling in your life and follow his will. When we go out searching for things of our own. “More than one wife.” that is when we disobey. The wives will come to the honest and pure man.

I believe as long as you honor GOD’s calling in your life and follow his will. When we go out searching for things of our own. “More than one wife.” that is when we disobey. The wives will come to the honest and pure man.

So....what kind of marketing do you do? Any useful products or services we should know about?

Back