• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

2017 Summer Retreat attendee comments

The Revolting Man

Staff member
Real Person
Male
First night of the retreat was great. A new lady broke down in tears mentioning @FollowingHim2 . I'm sure it was very sweet if you're okay with women crying. I am not.

Amelangs were great. Fellowship was great. You're really missing out because you're not here. I pity you in fact. You are to be pitied. You're pitiful. Poor poor pitiful you. My pity grows and flows over until it drowns you in a flood. You will need to come to rest on Mount Ararat until my pity for you subsides. That will be around Sunday or Monday as we're heading home.

A new lady broke down in tears mentioning @FollowingHim2 .
Yeah, I'm gonna need some context to this or I'll assume I've said something wrong lol.

Please do pity me. I'm stuck at home missing other women cry about me and all I've got is prayer. Our bible study time goes like this:

Samuel: Let's continue reading about Abram.
Caleb: *points to picture in his picture bible* is this Abram?
Samuel: No, that's Mary....

Wouldn't mind something a little deeper.

It's all good, Sarah. Zec is being his wonderful bratty self.
I didn't catch it completely, but it seemed to be about what an inspiration you are.
Correction on that statement is welcomed.

It was truly awesome to hear another testimony about how YHWH led a family to embrace a widow, having no current cultural context, and then discover that they are not alone in this weird, unpopular belief.

Yeah, I'm gonna need some context to this or I'll assume I've said something wrong lol.

Please do pity me. I'm stuck at home missing other women cry about me and all I've got is prayer. Our bible study time goes like this:

Samuel: Let's continue reading about Abram.
Caleb: *points to picture in his picture bible* is this Abram?
Samuel: No, that's Mary....

Wouldn't mind something a little deeper.

Steve pretty much got the gist of it. She broke down in sobs before she got too much out. As usual there's a lot of women crying and I have to go to my happy place when that happens so I miss a lot.

The men got real today. We had to drop the topic and move on but Andrew identified an area that everyone feels strongly about so I look forward to seeing what comes out of it. It seems like it could lead to a mass migration.

At any rate, the point of this is that everyone should be here. We got to meet @mystic and be a part of some wonderful news in his life. We also met @Verifyveritas76 and found a kindred spirit. Good times had by all except for an exhausted 8 week old who is having a hard time working in her naps. Updates as events warrant.

The men got real today. We had to drop the topic and move on but Andrew identified an area that everyone feels strongly about so I look forward to seeing what comes out of it. It seems like it could lead to a mass migration.
Way too cryptic. Not at liberty to discuss?

The men's session is a private discussion, so don't expect too much detail online from the attendees. And Zec's account will be deliberately exaggerated because he's in that sort of mood! :) But intentional communities and tthe like are always a topic for discussion when we see each other in person, since everyone is so happy to be around like-minded people for a change that we tend to then ponder how to create more opportunities to fellowship and work together in the real world.

The men's session is a private discussion, so don't expect too much detail online from the attendees. And Zec's account will be deliberately exaggerated because he's in that sort of mood! :) But intentional communities and tthe like are always a topic for discussion when we see each other in person, since everyone is so happy to be around like-minded people for a change that we tend to then ponder how to create more opportunities to fellowship and work together in the real world.
Nuff said. Thanks

Whew!! Great weekend! We are somewhere between Jackson and Vicksburg, MS, looking at arriving home maybe 7:00a, exhausted but happy!

As usual, old friendships were renewed and refreshed, and new friendships were formed. Food was great, sleep was woefully inadequate. No flat tires this time, for which we are grateful! Also no screwed up drive shafts or broken air conditioners. Just a solid, enjoyable adventure. :cool:

Stay tuned for news on the upcoming fall retreat!!

I was particularly moved at this retreat by the Sunday night service, where we did a simple footwashing service (men's and women's circles) followed by awesome worship and prayer time. Guys and girls were both 'choked up'. We don't always remember how much we need, how hungry we are for, this corporate (body) fellowship, until we are deep in it. Let's try not to forget, let's make it happen whenever possible.

Last edited:
In our service today, it was commented on that without the assembling together, it is impossible for us to be completely perfected. The point that he was making is that interaction reveals character flaws and provides the physical and spiritual support that we need from others to effect needed change and growth. We know from scripture that a child left alone brings shame. Part of this, I've come to believe, is due to the perspectives that come from being "the only". A single child will perhaps have difficulties learning to share, play nice, be content, unselfish along with a host of other issues. An orphaned child will perhaps have difficulties with belonging, heritage, identity, security among other issues. A new believer who is perhaps the only focus of the assembly will often be smothered and "mothered" to death so that it stunts their natural spiritual growth which would have occurred naturally through the leading of the Holy Spirit and study.

My point being that the same principle applies with plural marriage. The same character flaws that are naturally fixed by additional siblings in families, or assembling as believers, if done properly can yield the same peaceable fruit of righteousness in co-wives/co-laborers through the same type of medium. That they aren't the only "child". This natural arena of cohabiting can reveal and then remove flaws that would otherwise never be recognized.

How beautiful it is when a monogamous marriage is in unity! How much more beautiful it is when a plural marriage is in perfect harmony and unity!

Just as our children and wives need to function in harmony, so should our fellowship. This was our first retreat but God willing, will not be our last. It was so good to fellowship and get to know so many of you.

Amen, brother! :cool:

Just as our children and wives need to function in harmony, so should our fellowship
Nice!

Another point made is that fellowship is a responsibility. We don't need to focus on what it does for us, but what it does for our brothers and sisters.

Chronic problem....

Back