• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

2019 Summer Conference and Family Retreat (late July)

NYC to increase social-distancing 'ambassadors' to fight coronavirus spread
By Vandana Rambaran | Fox News

New York City will be adding over 1,000 non-police "social distancing ambassadors" to enforce the rules in the coming weeks, the mayor announced, after some critics hit back at the NYPD's response.

"This team of public servants will be tasked with educating New Yorkers on the importance of social distancing and distributing masks for free all across the city," Mayor Bill de Blasio, a Democrat, said of the new ambassadors.

De Blasio also said in an online media briefing Sunday that there will be an uptick in city volunteers by next weekend, from around 1,000 to 2,300.

Some law-enforcement officials themselves have complained about the push for social-distance policing after the coronavirus pandemic started slamming the city, but officers have received backlash in recent weeks after a slew of events highlighted police tactics which the mayor deemed "unacceptable." Some social-media videos helped fuel the controversy; one showed police slamming a black suspect to the ground for talking back to a cop, and another showed an officer punching a man in the head as he was pinned to a sidewalk.

Also, New York City police department data released Friday showed that of the 374 summonses issued through May 5 for violating distancing orders, 52 percent were given to black people and 30 percent to Hispanic people. The mayor said those statistics showed "something's wrong." He pledged more training and clearer protocols for officers.

"More and more, the emphasis will be on a communicative, encouraging approach," de Blasio said of the new ambassadors throughout the city, adding that ticketing "will still be there when needed."

He also said that enforcement of the rules needed to be done "fairly and consistently in all communities."

In addition, some in the Hasidic Jewish community cried foul over the response from police and the mayor to a large public funeral of a Brooklyn rabbi in April attended by hundreds of people, breaking with the city's restrictions on gatherings.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Vandana Rambaran is a reporter covering news and politics at foxnews.com. She can be found on Twitter @vandanarambaran

We were just told by a manager at costco that masks are required to be worn by shoppers. They are corporately bowing to the recommendations of the CDC. So even though our county has practically no cases, the people with the money to influence the world can reach down through the big corporations and touch everyone.

How'd that quote go about if the people ever let banks issue their money.....the banks and corporations that grow up around them will deprive..... oh well, probably not related. What could that have to do with shopping without a mask?

Membership CANCELLED and money refunded. I'd sooner eat grass.

The Nazi customers to whom I'm referring exhibited their behavior before Costco instituted any requirement that masks be worn.

Aside from those who are immune compromised or work around those who are, such people are the true believers, the unthinkingly eager adopters and self-righteous enforcers of whatever the nannystate says is best. They are dangerous.

The ironic part is none of them were wearing masks back when I thought it would have been valuable to do so, but the state was saying it wasn't helpful.

ease with which such a vast swath of our culture was so quickly hypnotized into sheep status.

They always were, you just never noticed.

the banks and corporations that grow up around them will deprive

Yep, just one long arm of the government.

They always were, you just never noticed.

You're probably making an excellent distinction, @rockfox. How about if I reword my sentence?: "I am ALARMED by what is going on all around us, most especially by how quickly the sheep among us could be hypnotized into panic and enforcer mode."

We were just told by a manager at costco that masks are required to be worn by shoppers.
We went to Costco two days ago and they said we had to have masks. I said, 'No' and sat in the truck. My wife walked in, said, 'I'm not wearing a mask and I'm shopping.' They backed off and she shopped maskless. She reported that about 10-15% of shoppers had no mask..

We went to Costco two days ago and they said we had to have masks. I said, 'No' and sat in the truck. My wife walked in, said, 'I'm not wearing a mask and I'm shopping.' They backed off and she shopped maskless. She reported that about 10-15% of shoppers had no mask..

The same in our local Menards.

We are so busy here I am starting to schedule in July already. :cool:

We can sometimes re-write the work schefule, and are forced to when equipment breaks down, but I'd rather not do it for a vacation if I can avoid it.

With cross country travel, it's just kinda hard to predict how stupid the sociopaths manipulating the world are going to be, or what nonsense they might pull next.

Thinks to self..."I can always leave space in the schedule and fill it in later..... what a good idea!" :p

Back