• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

A dating daughter is a father's failure

This forum has again gone into Bible says without thinking which this exactly implies for our lives.
And I don’t think that you realize the outcome of the way that you desire life to be.
If two people are perfectly righteous, then there is no problem, but if one or more of them isn’t, then there is no perfect system.
So here we are.
Women, make your choices with fearful, trembling prayer.

Best conception of marriage is partnership. Word which implies active participation and contribution of all partners. Same applies to our walk with Lord. He can show way and we go in opposite direction. We can plead and He close ears. Well, both situations aren't good.
Trying to make sense out of this.
Yah is Lord, if we don’t let Him lead, we are in rebellion to Him. Yeah, that’s pretty similar to a marriage.
So I don’t get your point.

I’m confused, how is that different from what I wrote?
Because Abraham could started with smaller number than 50 and finish with one. Which should be enough to save city.
And I don’t think that you realize the outcome of the way that you desire life to be.
If two people are perfectly righteous, then there is no problem, but if one or more of them isn’t, then there is no perfect system.
So here we are.
Women, make your choices with fearful, trembling prayer.
So what? We will never have problems, what matters is how they are solved.

I want to be obeyed by wife because she desires me, not because Bible says. Last one is duty, first one is true love.
Yah is Lord, if we don’t let Him lead, we are in rebellion to Him. Yeah, that’s pretty similar to a marriage.
You are using legal thinking. Concern is with rules and what is right. It's judgement.

My focus is more on trust and relationship. Can you tell other person unwelcome truth and strengthen your relationship? Do you have each other backs? None of this can be bought or bring into existence with rules, laws and similar.

Last edited:
Because Abraham could started with smaller number than 50 and finish with one. Which should be enough to save city.
Are you assuming that Yah would have agreed to a smaller number?

I want to be obeyed by wife because she desires me, not because Bible says. Last one is duty, first one is true love.
I wish you well with that.

None of this can be bought or bring into existence with rules, laws and similar.
True, that’s why it is about principles and character.

Are you assuming that Yah would have agreed to a smaller number?
Why else would Abraham asked?
I wish you well with that.
You don't have to. I know from personal exlerience it works.
True, that’s why it is about principles and character.
No, it's about relationship. Interaction between you two, no your character. Virtue doesn't require presence of other people.

Generousity can be toward animal. Same for any other "interactive" virtue.

No, it's about relationship. Interaction between you two, no your character. Virtue doesn't require presence of other people.
The rules and laws laid out in the Torah and New Testament are ALL about relationship. What are the two great commandments? Love YHVH and love your neighbor. How do we do this? That is what all of the rules, laws, and guidance from the scriptures teach us.

Part of a good relationship is knowing boundaries, expectations, and what the other person wants and needs from you in order to have a healthy relationship dynamic. The scriptures are just that. They define how YHVH wants us to live and how he wants us to show our love for him in our individual relationships with Him. Is this the ideal, yes. Is this how our world operates, no. But we can learn what scriptures have to say about how things should be done and try to apply it as well as possible in our fallen world. Just because our feelings or the world tell us something biblical is wrong doesn't make it so.

My understanding and perspective of biblical manhood and fatherhood has evolved tremendously over the course of the last year. This perspective will be used by my husband and I in training up our daughter and children to come. We definitely talk about arranged marriages and even though its often in a joking way to those around us (as a way to break the ice to those with less biblical beliefs) its not really a joking matter to us.

I'm sharing some of my own/my families experience as far as my father's relationship to his daughters dating and marriages. I am one of 8 kids. 4 of us are daughters.

My parents divorced when I was 17. Due to experiences both prior and during that I chose to estrange myself from him for a few years, only seeing him a few times in that period. I moved out of my my mom's place (where I had chosen to live after the divorce) when I was 20. Here is an understanding I've come to recently. Between the divorce and allowing me to be out on my own my father abdicated his role of being the one to have the say in who I did or did not date/marry. With the example of the way my parents marriage had been (An extremely unhealthy etc.) and the fact that my father does not really have a relationship, or really much of a belief in God I did not trust him to have a say in my relationships or the choices I made in who I would marry.

My sister 3 years younger married first. She met her future husband at 17 when on her senior trip with my brother and visiting a church center where they were vacationing. She married at 19, honeymoon baby and now has 4 kids. My father wasn't a huge fan of her husband and because of a disagreement with my sister he almost didn't go to her wedding, only deciding a few days beforehand to do so. My mom walked her down the aisle as this had already been arranged and she wasn't going to change it just because he showed up last minute.

For me, I had been on speaking terms with him when I met my husband and even though I would have married my husband regardless my dad was involved in the process some. In this way I did honor him by letting him. My dad really gets along great with my husband and they have a lot in common. So he approved of him once he got the chance to know him, even though he didn't pick him out of me. My husband had a discussion with him about going to marry me, I don't think he asked per se but told him he was going to propose, and my dad didn't have an issue with it. My dad also walked me down the aisle and gave me away at my wedding.

Even though I am still not close with my dad and have very strong boundaries I do honor him by staying in contact within those bounds and by taking all that I have learned (the good and bad) from my childhood and by creating the best and most Godly life I can for my husband and daughter.

Honoring doesn't have to mean that you are required to trust and have no boundaries with someone who has chosen to abuse those things in the the past. It does mean that you forgive and have the relationship you are able with them while you live and build the best life for yourself as you go forward. I wouldn't be who I am today without everything that I experienced and learned from my childhood and the example ( and mistakes) made by my parents and those around me.

I'm currently reading book Positive Intelligence. Basic idea of book is existence of 10 psyhcological saboteurs. Judge as main one with 9 helpers.

You here are so real example of saboteur hyper-rational.

Let's give example:

Wifey is cooking and husband grabs her from behind. Wife should "relax into husband" because:

1. Lord says so, it's husband want. It's rules.

Perfect example of hyper-rational. Logic and thinking are only thinks that matter. Off course, such mind is perfectly fine with rules.

How about this:

2. To sense his desire for her, to sense being wanted.

Truth is: "I think, I exist". Truth is also: "I feel, I exist".

From hyper-rational sabouter perspective feelings and emotions are so 🤮🤮🤮🤮.

@steve, @Keith Martin and @HomesteadWife

I sense so much focus on ideal archetype and "It's total catastrophype if we leave archetype for a second". How about leaving bloody rules and logic behind and experiencing love?

Like dancing. Man still has to lead. But good dancer is sensitive to female's movement and wishes. Interesting, bodies moving in unison without his barking orders.

Movement, passion, cooperation instead of bureucrat opening rule book.

And for finale, one heretical thought:

Would Lord prefer you being less obsessed with following rules and more willing to spend time with Him for Him and practice experiential experience with Him?

Remember, Pharisees were master rule followers. Still got spanking.

Does Yah answers on our prayers or not?

I can't believe you can't imagine that Yah would answer positive on your prayer.
Has yah said yes to everything that you ask for?

Is that how your parents raised you?

I'm currently reading book Positive Intelligence. Basic idea of book is existence of 10 psyhcological saboteurs. Judge as main one with 9 helpers.

You here are so real example of saboteur hyper-rational.

Let's give example:

Wifey is cooking and husband grabs her from behind. Wife should "relax into husband" because:

1. Lord says so, it's husband want. It's rules.

Perfect example of hyper-rational. Logic and thinking are only thinks that matter. Off course, such mind is perfectly fine with rules.

How about this:

2. To sense his desire for her, to sense being wanted.

Truth is: "I think, I exist". Truth is also: "I feel, I exist".

From hyper-rational sabouter perspective feelings and emotions are so 🤮🤮🤮🤮.

@steve, @Keith Martin and @HomesteadWife

I sense so much focus on ideal archetype and "It's total catastrophype if we leave archetype for a second". How about leaving bloody rules and logic behind and experiencing love?

Like dancing. Man still has to lead. But good dancer is sensitive to female's movement and wishes. Interesting, bodies moving in unison without his barking orders.

Movement, passion, cooperation instead of bureucrat opening rule book.

And for finale, one heretical thought:

Would Lord prefer you being less obsessed with following rules and more willing to spend time with Him for Him and practice experiential experience with Him?

Remember, Pharisees were master rule followers. Still got spanking.
In my opinion you are waaay overthinking this and categorizing in ways that we are not.
I agree that the situation that you present is bad, but it isn’t what we are talking about.

So says legions of single men.
I shared this year's ago....kind of related me thinks.

A WOMAN'S QUESTION

Do you know you have asked for the costliest thing
ever made by the Hand above?
A woman's heart, and a woman's life-
and a woman's wonderful love.

Do you know you have asked for this priceless thing
as a child might ask for a toy?
Demanding what others have died to win,
With the reckless dash of a boy.

You have written my lesson of duty out;
Manlike, you have questioned me.
Now stand at the bar of my woman's soul
Until I shall question thee.

You require your mutton shall always be hot,
Your socks and your shirts be whole;
I require you heart to be true as God's stars
And as pure as His heaven your soul.

You require a cook for your mutton and beef,
I require a far greater thing;
A seamstress you're wanting for socks and shirts-
I look for a man and a king.

A king for this beautiful realm called home,
And a man that his maker, God,
Shall look upon as He did the first
And say: "It is very good."

I am fair and young, but the rose may fade
From my soft young cheek one day;
Will you love me then 'mid the falling leaves,
As you did 'mong the blossoms of may?

Is your heart an ocean so strong and deep,
I may launch my all on its tide?
A loving woman finds heaven or hell
On the day she is made a bride.

I require all things that are grand and true,
All things that a man should be;
If you give this all, I would stake my life
To be all you demand of me.

If you cannot be this, a laundress and cook
You can hire and little to pay;
But a woman's heart and a woman's life
Are not to be won that way.

Lena Lathrop

Agreed, and I suspect that I'm joined by every man engaged in this discussion when I agree with Megan that men should aspire to demonstrate actions that command honor, respect and authority rather than making demanding appeals to receive accolades of honor and respect without first inspiring them.

No one is challenging the fact that men are called (by Scripture -- and by each other) to earn respect.

What is being challenged is the perception that it might be a woman's place to arbitrate whether men are meeting their marks or not -- or thus whether it's a woman's place to excuse herself from submission because she judges her man worthy of it. What's therefore also being challenged is that men who don't receive a stamp of approval from women don't have authority. We do in fact have authority. It's granted to us by Scripture; it's granted to us by our physiology; it's granted to us by our Creator-intended tendencies to innovate, organize and maintain the world, and it's granted to us by our predisposition to lead. It's not a woman's place to challenge this, because as hypergamous as women are (always wanting more than they deserve) it's inescapable that, for every man who isn't Mr. Perfect or Prince Charming or even just an Average Joe, there is a female counterpart who is miles from being Miss America -- and what is a woman's place is to challenge other women to be better women, which is what you're pointing to here:

As am I. Megan is a tremendous woman, and I would unreservedly declare that any man should consider himself honored were Megan to marry him; she sets examples almost across the board that we should all be in awe of. Women inspiring women is appropriate; women declaring large swaths of men unworthy of submissive wives, however, is not. Paul said, "Wives, submit to your husbands," and it is well and good for women to challenge other women to better submit. Paul did not say, "Wives, submit to your husbands after they meet your female standards," any more than he said, "Men, love your wives, but only after they stop being rebellious." [I can guarantee you I've been loving @Kristin Martin pretty much non-stop since 1987, but she didn't even begin to submit until 2 years ago.]

Not one voice has been raised to silence @MeganC from providing women with the lessons they "need to hear." Not one voice has even been raised to silence @MeganC from voicing her opinions that men aren't entitled to submission or that parents aren't entitled to be honored until they demonstrate that they've earned it -- in fact, I assert that, when it comes to suppression, some voices have come closer to attempting to silence any voice that challenges what @MeganC (by the way, close to my best friend in this organization) has had to say on many occasions on this topic. No one has even attempted to stop her from offering her opinions, but suppression efforts (your own included) ramp up just because Megan is challenged on her perspective. Are you asserting that Megan should be exempt from criticism? Do you expect that for yourself? And are you implying that women will stop sharing their inspirational stories if women are sometimes criticized for statements they make?

What's the point of women even offering their opinions if they're not going to be subject to criticism?

This is evidence of the degree to which even Biblical Families, much like 'The Church,' is infected with gynocentrism, a cultural framework within which it is verboten to criticize women or promote something women don't like.

False on both counts.

It's not ironic; it's appropriate -- in fact, last I read from her, Megan welcomes the criticism. First of all, one cannot logically assert that the exhibition of any particular laudable trait, no matter how righteous or godly, transforms every belief of the person possessing that trait to be unassailable, even when the professed beliefs are on the same subject as the laudable trait. We don't grant that to popes, priests or pastors, so those of us who are mere rabble don't get that pass, either. Secondly, while some among us may come close, I have yet to know a woman either in Biblical Families or elsewhere who has fully submitted herself to her husband. Some come close, and we would do well to listen carefully when they speak on submission or when they offer insight into the female heart and soul, but none of that qualifies them as experts on men, if for no other reason than that, if they're following Scripture, they're almost entirely exempt from having to trouble themselves with achieving competence in the wide array of human skills and capabilities that are well-known to be part and parcel of the male realm. Thirdly, there's an incongruence between asserting the right to be equal participants in a discussion and expecting a woman to receive kid-gloves treatment.

That one sentence attempts to dismissively invalidate the totality of arguments various of us have with @Megan's assertion. It most certainly is not a matter of anyone attacking her for asserting that actions speak louder than words. Of course actions speak louder than words, but no one challenges that; what is being challenged is an effort to elevate the concept of actions speaking louder than words to a height that would justify ignoring Scripture -- or to grant women the power to be the arbiters of when men will be permitted to be leaders. Men start off owning the right to be leaders based on what they collectively do for women that women could not do for themselves.

So I have a challenge for you.

As tempting as it is -- assuming that your ad hominem attack doesn't apply to me and should thus be ignored -- to just let the stink of this particular paragraph of yours linger as it wafts on the wind, given that your choice is to attributionlessly invalidate some indeterminate amount of men, I challenge you to identify those about whom you're casting aspersions

Who, @theleastofthese, are

And, if you can, please explain how you have the power to look that deeply into their (our?) hearts. What leads you to assume that those who engage in disagreements here are not also taking action in their own lives? How do you know that engaging in these values-clarifying discussions doesn't actually enhance the degree to which men will take such action?

Because what I see in your writing is assigning virtue to Megan's online challenges while assigning vice to men who challenge her.

[You're new here, so there's no way you'd know this, but this particular conundrum has been addressed multiple times in the past, one in which simultaneous arguments go on about how we men should be easier on the girls and at the same time how it isn't fair to exclude women categorically from rough-and-tumble discussions. This, always with great support from me, has tenuously been resolved in favor of welcoming women into the fray as long as they don't mind a contusion here and there. It's "iron-sharpening-iron," not "iron-featherdusting-doilies," after all.]

It's amazing to me that you would find that amazing. Can we not agree on the fact that, while sharing humanity, men and women are otherwise alien beings to each other?

This, though, @theleastofthese, is where your assumptions most go wrong.

Please excuse the strong language, but, if this belief is held by most women, it's best described as delusional -- and many feministized men hold that same delusion.

The safety of a woman -- and not of only a woman, but of a man as well -- is most assuredly not guaranteed by the presence of an admirable man. Safety is never guaranteed, but to the extent that it exists, the safety of women and men is produced by the existence of an overwhelming collective of admirable men. In essence, every 'right' that women consider themselves entitled to is protected by the willingness of men to do the dangerous and difficult work of engaging in that protection. Even the so-called 'right' to kill one's own children is enforced by men, not by women. Many dangerous people exist in the world, and it is men in the form of the military, the police, the firefighters, the vast amount of EMTs, who protect everyone else. It's a joke that women also perform those functions. No one wants two female cops showing up at a domestic disturbance, and an even bigger horror than a house fire would be seeing a fire truck pulling up with nothing but women on board.

Which, by the way, leads me to my final point, one I would be remiss if I didn't make. Your paragraph includes dishonesty by (probably unwittingly ignorant) omission:

What you write that follows that is fruit of the poisoned tree, because men are not at all unfamiliar with the experience of being physically mistreated. Women frequently forget that men are also the victims of male violence, but that itself ignores the real gorilla in the room. The Census Bureau's National Crime Victimization Surveys have consistently indicated (and have been backed up by a plethora of other unbiased studies) that women initiate 70% of physical domestic violence and over 90% of emotional domestic violence. In fact, on average the most violent interpersonal relationships are between lesbians, and gay men have the lowest instance of domestic violence.

Wouldn't you consider it worthy of challenge if you read men writing that the existence of female-on-male violence in marriages was justification for adding amendments to the Word of the LORD?
This response is a complete exaggeration, full of assumptions about things I never implied or said; I wouldn't even know where to begin.

As far as Megan being your friend and open to criticism, that's between you and her. I didn't make my comment to defend Megan because she was bothered by the criticism; I made my comment because I was bothered by it.

Last edited:
In my opinion you are waaay overthinking this and categorizing in ways that we are not.
I agree that the situation that you present is bad, but it isn’t what we are talking about.

Because of this:

That is your answer to my post about marriage as partnership. Such word implies "organic" relationship with both push-pull, give-and-take.

It also implies will of both to cooperate and work together, stick together and "being together in same crap".

Btw, partnership doesn't imply lack of leadership. Plenty on companies are partnerships and they still have CEOs, one guy with final responsibility.

And your answer is "Trying to make sense of this". It's confession: "I don't get it". What? Cooperation.

And rest of your post implies hierachical relationship. One without cooperation, but with marching orders. And marching orders imply lack of emotional intimacy.

It's probable you have emotional side, just your posts don't show it. So my categorization as hyper-rational.

Back