• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

A Pacific Northwesterner In the Land of the Morning Calm

magzillasaurus

Hello,

I have been enjoying reading all of your interactions since summer time and Julieb encouraged me to introduce myself. While not shy I seem to prefer to observe so the little push helped!

I hail from the beautiful Pacific Northwest and recently returned to South Korea to teach English (I was here 2010-2011) so I guess you could say I like to travel and experience new things! I know I'm not the only one living in this wonderful country, which is neat (I told you, I've been reading your posts!).

I'm 25 and an unmarried and unattached woman. I became a Christian in college (I am officially a Catholic, I joined the church at my Catholic university but I consider myself to be fairly ecumenical in my beliefs).

I studied sociology in college with a specialization in religion (I focused on fringe groups/"newer" religions/cults/Millenarians) and was particularly interested in fundamentalist Mormon culture. I read a lot about their practice of Polygamy and found that while I found abuses to be disturbing I was never disgusted or even bothered at all by the practice. For someone going to a liberal college in a secular city and raised in a secular household this was strange but I've always been an independent thinker. Polygyny has interested me ever since but once I graduated and jetted off to teach in South Korea I didn't give it a whole lot of thought-I had enough going on with learning to exist in a new country with a completely different culture and value system. When I got back to the States after my year abroad BOOM talk of polygamy/polygyny was everywhere (thank Sister Wives). I watched the show with interest and found myself defending the practice (even to my own mother) as everyone I knew talked about how "disgusting" and "immoral" it is. While I don't subscribe to the religious beliefs promoted on that show I took a lot of the comments and criticisms personally and began to research more and could find nothing in the Bible that condemned it outright. Somewhere in my random evenings of online article reading and searches I stumbled upon Biblical Families! I'm not even sure where I learned about this site but I've been scoping out the forum with great interest ever since.

I think big families with more than one wife are great! As someone who has always thought I might forgo children and family for a career-I was raised to value education and a career outside of the home and have yet to shake that off, so to speak-since I just can't see myself being a stay at home mom. I was a nanny all through college and again during the two years I was home between stays here in Korea and I know just how hard it is to take care of kids and manage a home-it is a full time job and then some! Managing a busy career and being fully present for a family simultaneously is nearly if not completely impossible. How wonderful it would be to be able to have a career and a family. Polygyny is Biblically based and is empowering to women (and men)! Maybe someday I might be a part of a family that includes a wonderful husband and another wife (or two?!) who is skilled at keeping the domestic front under control while I pursue a career in addition to family (or who knows, maybe I'll decide I want to stay home)!

I could go on and on all night (I'm 17 hours ahead of PST so it's Friday evening here) but I'll end here. Thanks for all your great discussions and thank you to Julieb for encouraging me to introduce myself!

-Maggie

i grew up in South Korea. Mostly in Gwangju, which was THEN in the province of Jeollanam-do.

Wow! Military family? Missionary family? It sure is a small world here at Biblical Families! I just love this country :D

Sure is (a small world). I taught ESL in Seoul & GwangJu in 78-79.

Anyway, WELCOME! :D

The world seems to be getting smaller by the day! Thank you for the warm welcome!

Hello Maggie, welcome! Like yourself I am not yet married (bit older though) I also think that Polygamy can be empowering for women especially as I see so many friends and acquaintances many of them married struggling to balance everything. It is a tough world out there. :(

It is not much easier for a single woman who is older, most men in my favoured age range are already married and the ones who are not....well there is often a good reason. There are just not many Polygamists in my neck of the woods alas.

B

Hi, Bella!

We have three students named Isabella/Bella at our school, it is quite popular in these parts (all are adorable little girls)!

Thank you! I'd love to hear about your life and search so far! Feel free to PM me if you ever feel in the mood to share! The world is tough but I know many of us here on the BF board are out to make the world a better place!

Maggie

Welcome Maggie! So glad you made the "jump" so to speak. Wow, you are such an interesting woman! I look forward to knowing more about you as time goes on.

Blessings!

magzillasaurus said:
Missionary family?"
Missionary. Back when there was such a thing as "Southern Presbyterian." It was years before I stopped missing Korea every day. It's much different now, than when I was there. Enjoy!

Thanks, Hugh! Things are definitely different here but I think Korea has retained some of that old-world charm! Most of my friends here are Korean natives which is awesome, I find that hanging with fellow expats usually does me no favors (either they are on perpetual spring-break or just not culturally competent). While I don't think I could live here forever, I missed it a lot during my nearly two years at home!

If anyone else has any advice or comments for me, I welcome them! I've spent enough time "lurking", time to get active on BF!

Oh, thanks Julieb! I don't think I'm all that interesting but I'm glad you think I am! Definitely thanks to you for the nudge!

Welcome Maggie, it's great to have you. We also lurked for a while before starting posting, there's so much fascinating stuff to read here. Have you checked out the stuff in the "Resources" section above? We haven't had "sister wives" screened over here yet, I'm hoping someone decides to because it would kick off a lot of valuable discussions.

Thanks, I am checking out the resources section now! I'm glad to finally be able to chat with you all, what a lovely group!

Welcome to Biblical Families. I have never been outside North America, so maybe I am the only one here who hasn't lived in South Korea at some point, :lol: Sara C is my wife, we have 5 children. She is as you say that woman who is capable and happy in the home. You may see her on the ladies chat on Tuesdays at 7pm Eastern US time.

Thanks, everyone! I look forward to communicating further.

I have talked with you already on the ladies chat, but I thought I would bring you more of a warm welcome from myself.

Welcome to Biblical Families.. I hope you find lots of encouragement.

~Asia

Thanks, Asia! So far, so good! I still mostly just enjoy reading the forums but I've been able to talk to a couple of people more in depth. It's nice to have some fellowship from the other side of the world!

Maggie,

Nice to meet you! I too am a single young woman. I just turned 24 and am newly single but it sure is nice to see that there is starting to be more and more people my age who are coming to this truth! I am excited about this! I hope to see you on the Tuesday night ladies chat sometime!

Back