• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

A word to the wives

he is calling us to first dedicate ourselves to the task of living, eating, sleeping, working, playing, loving, suffering, bleeding, and breathing every moment of our lives with God so that not only does His purpose becomes ours, but we become His purpose
*Gasp*

Does that mean He's, er.., controlling us?!? :eek:

;)

I agree with your post but there's much more to the word "disciple" in the context your using it. When we read “disciple” or “follower” in our English translations, the word behind the English behind the Greek is “talmid” or “talmidim” in the plural. There's not really a concept in contemporary Western thinking as an analog for a talmid. We translate it as disciple, but there is no place in our culture for someone who voluntarily seeks to fully identify with his master in all areas of life–who dedicates his life to becoming like the master in all ways. When Yeshua tells us to go make disciples–talmidim–of people throughout the world, he is calling us to first dedicate ourselves to the task of living, eating, sleeping, working, playing, loving, suffering, bleeding, and breathing every moment of our lives with God so that not only does His purpose becomes ours, but we become His purpose

Good point! I was primarily thinking about the English usage of the word, didn't follow it into the Greek. Although, are you thinking of mathéteuó (here and here) or talmid? I don't see the fullness of your description in those dictionary definitions, for what thats worth, but I do think it is a very accurate description of the Christian concept of disciple as described in scripture. And I think that full meaning also applies to wives, both in the greater context of scripture and in her role as modeling the church in the marital relationship.

We translate it as disciple, but there is no place in our culture for someone who voluntarily seeks to fully identify with his master in all areas of life–who dedicates his life to becoming like the master in all ways.
That is a great description of how Yeshua followed his Father.
And how a man is expected to follow Yeshua.
And how......you can see where this is going.

That is a great description of how Yeshua followed his Father.
And how a man is expected to follow Yeshua.
And how......you can see where this is going.
Ok, skipping past the finger-wagging towards the wives, is this how we expect our children to approach what we desire to teach them?
This needs to part of the culture of every family.

Ok, skipping past the finger-wagging towards the wives, is this how we expect our children to approach what we desire to teach them?
This needs to part of the culture of every family.
Yes. At least the desire I have for my children. That at all times they are to he in submission to the Father. For every thought to be first of the Kingdom. Every action an attempt to glorify the Father. That every step they take is emulating Yeshua. That's the desire. Sometimes we try to compartmentalize our lives. This is my job. This is my hobby. This is my family. This is my faith.

It doesnt matter what your job is, you can glorify the Father flipping burgers if you're an example that points others to Him. If you show up late to work, your lazy, ride the clock, complain about having to work, rude, gossip, steal from your employer your setting a bad example that makes His name nothing. That makes "beleivers" no diffrent from unbelievers. Now if your dillegent, on time, productive, honest and have a good attitude that glories the Father. That dosn't mean be a door matt and let employers treat you unjustly. Confront injustice in a calm constructive manner.

You can use your hobbies to teach about the Father. Either by actual lessons built around your hobby or simply setting the example of not do things that make His name for naught. If your a beleiver who makes ceramics, wood working, blacksmithing, artwork, poetry for fun as gifts to people, not making items that don't promote the values taught in scripture sets. Or you can make things that glorify the world setting the example that being a beleiver means nothing there is no difference between you and the world, that His Ruach has not set you apart from the world showing, that God is impotent. Example: Someone wanted me to make them a Viking bearded axe. No problem. He also want me to ingrave the Ode to Valhalla on it.....problem. Even though he was going to pay good money, offered more than the price I gave, I couldn't create something that glorified Norse paganism, despite the fact I knew he didn't worship the Asgard pantheon and just wanted it for aesthetics.

Your family can either be a reflection of citizens of the Kingdom in submission to the Father or citizens of this world in submission to their worldly desires. when people look at your family they should see Yeshua's message. Not a facade because eventual that will crumble and be a bad testimony, but a family who actually beleives in what they espouse and, importantly, live out what they are saying.

Your faith should be evident throughout all aspects of your life, being born again, you have been redeemed from the lawlessness of your life of bondage to sin. I teach this to my children. I teach this to my wife. I have to be reminded of this, time to time, myself. We achieve this by surrendering to the Father. The evidence that we are first thinking of the Kingdom and attempting to glorify Him with our actions is our submission to Him. His will not ours.

This starts with the Husband emulating Yeshua who is submitted to the Father. He is love, which is compassion and corection. He is Disciplined, denied the flesh and exemplified strength in the spirit. We are to submit to the teachings and example of Yeshua, becoming the image of the Son.

The question of whether or not a wife has to submit to a husband who is not in submission to the Father, who is not reflecting the image of Yeshua, the obedient son is a secondary issue. If a man is going to lead with the authority of God he first must be in submission to God. The primary concern should be The man. The man first. Then the wife has no "reproach" of her husband and the misdirection used to deflect her own rebellious actions is made obvious.

Our wives are to do the same by submitting to us. This is the first example of submitting to the Father that children see. They either see submission or rebellion before they even come to an understanding of who the Father is and it directly effects their relationship with Yeshua. We are to teach this to our children and to make taladimin of them. Students of the Teacher, there is but one teacher. Children of the Father, there is but one Father. Servants of God.

Last edited:
Two words. Position and leverage. Both are a requirement for leadership.

Position is where you are in life and the family, not your title. Are you out front leading in a focused direction and shouldering the brunt of your decisions? That is a position that generates authority.

Leverage is the amount of influence you have gained from your vision for the family, your ability and history to protect and provide and from your position (who and what you are).

A man with both position and leverage will have options, thus authority. A man without either will be subject to the whims of a wife with options.
If I could like this even more, I would...so just consider it as 2 likes!

I have always looked at a husbands authority as absolute. The reason being is that we as wives are commanded to submit to our husbands. Having said that I have also looked at submission as a gift that I would give to my husband because the Father also gave us free will. Again this is just the opinion of a simple ole country girl...;)

I have always looked at a husbands authority as absolute. The reason being is that we as wives are commanded to submit to our husbands. Having said that I have also looked at submission as a gift that I would give to my husband because the Father also gave us free will. Again this is just the opinion of a simple ole country girl...;)

Beautiful!

Wife, your husband has no more authority over you than you allow him to have.

Convince me otherwise.
"The Authority" That Yah Has Given To Man For Him To Exercise Over His Wife Or Wives Is (One Of Agape Love) ... Which Is Written : "Husband's Agape Love Your Wives" ... For It Is Written :
"Agape Love" Never Fails" And This In And Of Itself Persuades (The Wife Or Wives) To Obey Where It Is Written :
"Wives Submit To Your Own Husband".

"The Authority" That Yah Has Given To Man For Him To Exercise Over His Wife Or Wives Is (One Of Agape Love) ... Which Is Written : "Husband's Agape Love Your Wives" ... For It Is Written :
"Agape Love" Never Fails" And This In And Of Itself Persuades (The Wife Or Wives) To Obey Where It Is Written :
"Wives Submit To Your Own Husband".
Your clumsy way of writing makes it hard to follow your point, but it seems that you are saying that agape love persuades a wife to submit to her husband.
For some reason that doesn’t appear to work for the Almighty. He has perfect love for us, but yet our submission to Him is far from adequate.
I see this theory continually floated, but have yet to see it producing all that much good fruit.

Your clumsy way of writing makes it hard to follow your point, but it seems that you are saying that agape love persuades a wife to submit to her husband.
For some reason that doesn’t appear to work for the Almighty. He has perfect love for us, but yet our submission to Him is far from adequate.
I see this theory continually floated, but have yet to see it producing all that much good fruit.

I Appreciate Your Response ...

My Unorthodox/Clumsy Way Of Writing Is For Those Who Understand "Revelation" As Opposed To "Textual Wisdom And Knowledge And Understanding" ... And Or "Theological Academia" Or "Personal Opinion And Personal Insight" ... And Last But Not Least "Hearsay".

It Is Written : "Agape Love" Never Fails..
So If It Never Fails Neither Will Two Or More Reciprocating It With The Whole Heart Either. So A Wife Will Submit To
Her Husband's Authority Far More Easier Than Aggressively Persuading Her To (LEGALISTICALLY) Follow The Rules !!! It Is Written : (Perfect/Perfected
Agape Love CASTETH Out FEAR) !!!

THE ONLY TIME AGAPE LOVE SEEMS TO FAIL IN A RELATIONSHIPS WITH OUR CREATOR OR A MONOGAMOUS OR POLYGYNOUS RELATIONSHIP IS BECAUSE (WE STOP AGAPE LOVING CONSISTENTLY).

Your excessive capitalization is for those who understand revelation? Then I must be numbered amongst those that don’t understand your revelation.

Since this thread is about how much authority a wife allows her husband to have, may I ask how that is working out in your family? Do you find that your wife/wives and children yield their wills readily to yours? I assume that you do a pretty good job of walking out agape love.

Back