• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

General And Jesus said to them, “I ask you, ...?"

The flaw in that argument is that David committed adultery, and Samson used prostitutes. If a man being in Hebrews 11 by definition is not sexually immoral, then adultery and prostitution are not immoral for the same reason that polygamy is argued to be not immoral.

The logic is flawed. All the men in Hebrews 11 are there because of their faith, not perfection. All were sinners saved by grace. The fact that so many were polygamous should certainly make anyone pause to think - polygamy is a common feature of these godly men. But it is not itself a logical proof of the acceptability of polygamy.
I agree completely with this and had the same problem with the argument right after I spoke it months ago.

The flaw in that argument is that David committed adultery, and Samson used prostitutes. If a man being in Hebrews 11 by definition is not sexually immoral, then adultery and prostitution are not immoral for the same reason that polygamy is argued to be not immoral.

The logic is flawed. All the men in Hebrews 11 are there because of their faith, not perfection. All were sinners saved by grace. The fact that so many were polygamous should certainly make anyone pause to think - polygamy is a common feature of these godly men. But it is not itself a logical proof of the acceptability of polygamy.
One time sins repented of versus lifestyles never renounced? You’re comparing apples to oranges.

Thanks! I have to give credit to one of the participants in the retreat I went to a few years ago, who said that what convinced him that polygyny was acceptable, was that the MO position basically had God changing his mind back and forth, to where He could not make up His mind, or something to that effect, but I can't remember who it was that said this.
That was Winston Borden.

Honestly, I don't think the underlying question amongst the MO crowd, is a question of logic, as they employ logical fallacies all the time. It is a matter of opening their eyes to the reality that even if we were wrong, we will still end up in heaven. I asked my brother-in-law if he thinks that those who have more than one wife, will be in heaven, and he admitted that they will. He just doesn't think that they are "right with God", whatever that is supposed to mean.

Honestly, I don't think the underlying question amongst the MO crowd, is a question of logic, as they employ logical fallacies all the time. It is a matter of opening their eyes to the reality that even if we were wrong, we will still end up in heaven. I asked my brother-in-law if he thinks that those who have more than one wife, will be in heaven, and he admitted that they will. He just doesn't think that they are "right with God", whatever that is supposed to mean.
Somehow the MO people I've dealt with believe there is a difference between the likes of Abraham, Moses, David, etc., and those of us who have lived since the time of Christ. We are condemned sinners. It's strange because they can't show me the change in the law but they know they're right. Go figure.

Back