• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

At a class reunion a guy said he has six wives.

frederick

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
My Filipina wife had a class reunion last weekend and after the initial welcome and opening address each of the people were asked to give a short personal rundown on their current situations; location, job, family, etc., etc. They were all including their marriage status as they spoke; some single, most married, and some laughs over how come they were in either camp. I couldn't understand their dialect but my wife was translating for me when, all of a sudden she stopped and everyone was listening to this particular guy who was speaking. I wondered what had happened when suddenly people laughed and clapped, and there were shouts and hoots, and the guy raised his hand and said salamat, salamat (thank you, thank you!). My wife was also laughing and told me the guy had just said he has six wives and eight kids, and he listed the various places they all lived as he works on ships and has women at various ports his ship stops in.

Later on I talked with the guy (my wife translated as his English was limited) and we chatted about what he'd said. It turns out he is legally married to one woman and has the others as mistresses and they know about each other. Some other guys came and joined the conversation and I discovered this isn't such an unusual situation here. As I explained what is written in the Bible, and especially that there is no sin in having more than one woman/wife, some of the other guys opened up about their relationships. It was all going very well until I read and explained the biblical passages about adultery; that if any of the women belonged to another man, then they were committing adultery and that was a serious sin issue.

It was a great time discussing God's Word and being able to also teach the gospel as God's answer to their sin.

Last edited:
You rock Sir Frederick! Great stuff!

I’d love to pick your brain a bit about the Philippines sometime if you don’t mind brother.

Or, the location if the next retreat... :D:D
My house is perfect for the retreat. Currently I'm not living there, it's empty, it is a four story concrete structure. I'll start a separate thread since we're discussing the six wives here.

Last edited by a moderator:
100_0033.jpg

I need to give it a second coat of paint still but that's an entirely concrete home.

What is your build price per sq mtr? I've been quoted php 26,000 where I am living.
I built that for around 10,000 per sq meter but that was back in 1999. If I double the prices of concrete and rebar which is probably about right, it would be 20,000. But don't have a Filipino builder do it without American input. For 80,000 dollars you could build a one story fully concrete home with a concrete roof strong enough for a second floor outdoor church or just have a huge tarp during services.

What is your build price per sq mtr? I've been quoted php 26,000 where I am living.
P10,000 in 1999. Who knows today. I would estimate above P20,000 today. Where are you living? 90 percent of the price is concrete & rebar. Labor is almost nothing. If you're going to build you MUST be there EVERY MINUTE or they will do really STUPID stuff. (I hear this can happen in the U.S. too.) They will act as if they know what you mean whether they know or not. They will pretend they understand English. They will do the opposite of your priorities. You must be on site and check the work every hour and enforce strictly what you want. I spoke to them in Tagalog but here's an English example:
"I want you to make it like this."
"Oh, you want it level."
"Yes, I want it level."

Now tell me, why wouldn't someone make something level that in every construction they're ever seen before is level!? This will take a six months to a year of your life. Every hour and they will have a problem with your observing the Sabbath because they want a six day week. I never let them work on the Sabbath so my who crew had to find an extra day of work if they wanted to work six or come in on Sundays.

Why not build a beautiful wall. Haha, didn't mean to quote him, but, why don't you "build a beautiful wall" and then build a beautiful native house.

Another way, build one super strong concrete room the size of what you'd like your living room to be. Use the oversized four concrete posts at the corners to go straight up with cantilevered concrete beams extending out at multiple levels. Put native houses on each side of the second floor which would also be concrete. The second floor would actually be an atrium. that shares a doorway with each of the 50 sq meter native houses that are held on the cantilevers. This would allow for a completed concrete structure that costs less than 25,000 going up as high as four stories with cantilevered homes. That could also attract tourists for an income. Sorry, I've got an imagination.

hahahaha, some imagination. :D
I'm in the visayas region. The contractor we're working with builds upmarket homes and we've checked out some of his work already. But I'm being as cautious as possible. Thanks for the warnings.

Back to the six wives thing. A lot of Filipinos think the fake page where Duterte says he's passing a law to legalize polygamy is real. My bride even mentioned it to some visitors we had not realizing the page was fake. That said, the number of pro-polygamy quotes from Filipinos is huge.
"A man who has three wives is a polygamist. A man who has two wives is a bigamist. A man who has only one wife is a monotonist."
Cardinal Jaime Sin – Philippines

Even this morning, when chatting with business people, I told them I have two wives and that didn't produce any strong adverse responses from any of them. Back home it would have been a major controversy. The worst reaction I've had here in the Philippines so far has been from a Christian friend who won't accept the law as being the means for people to have a knowledge of sin (Rom. 3:20). As soon as I explain what is written in the scriptures, things are pretty good with most Filipinos.

I'm curious, are your brides related like cousins? I only arrived here last September though I've spent three years of my life here. Originally my bride and I and another woman planned to be wed more or less at the same time. I think the Lord had other plans because there really was no good reason for that not to happen. So I've been with and remain with my bride, Jen, counting from the betrothal for nearly 8 years. She's spent many years waiting for me to return full time and once my economic situation is back on track I'll take another bride. I'm simply thinking keeping it in the family will reduce my responsibilities since I would be expected to help cousins anyway. I like her uncle and he's a responsible man so who knows. It's not about an attraction at this point. It's simply trying to make the plan efficiently.

I treat monogamists as members of a cult. When I discuss things with them, which is rare because that's not the ministry the Lord has put in front of me, but when I do, I put a Bible in their hands with it open to this verse and ask them to read it. Matthew 15:9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
Requiring the cult member to read the verse while holding the Bible is said to be more effective. I did that when I allowed a Jehovah's Witness to try to convince me. I would ask him to hold the Bible and then read the verse before and after the one that he was using to push his point. It's amazing how God has apparently befuddled Satan this way, by having him present the argument against himself without knowing it. The monogamists are even more amateurish than the Jehovah's Witnesses.

I met my first Filipino polygamist on a ship headed from your place! I'm not sure where I began my route but it took me through Iloilo where the kids dive into the water for coins and then on to somewhere else. I got off in what was then called Dadiangas (General Santos City). Anyway, on that ship I had a shared cabin with bunks. It was very nice. Anyone going there ought to try the luxury cabins. Per day they are around 50 bucks. So he's sharing his, what's that called, it starts with an L, the round fruit that when the thin skin is opened there are four sour pods. You can get going on that just like peanuts and that's what he and I did. He didn't ask me to pay him for it, well, he was in a semi-private cabin. He must have been doing okay. Yeah, just fruit. Hey, I already said I ate a LOT of it. Anyway, he said he brings out of season fruit from one area of the Philippines to the other and has a wife on each side of the trip and that there was no hiding it for him and he was not a Muslim. That was 1983. When I lived in Seattle an old guy, a Filipino, really took me under his wing in meeting people within the Filipino community and he had a son who ended up insuring his business with me. The son told me years later that when he went to his uncle's funeral in the Philippines that there are all kinds of family members that nobody knew about, the children of other wives.

I hope I don't have much of a learning curve. Except for my prior marriage of 25 years I was never much of a monogamist. All my women knew someone else would be grabbing my attention for a while. It was a kind of rotation. But then I bit the mantra of the fake Christian churches about lusting after women bla bla which is nonsense because Paul rightly states, Romans 7:7b "Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet."

Even this morning, when chatting with business people, I told them I have two wives and that didn't produce any strong adverse responses from any of them. Back home it would have been a major controversy. The worst reaction I've had here in the Philippines so far has been from a Christian friend who won't accept the law as being the means for people to have a knowledge of sin (Rom. 3:20). As soon as I explain what is written in the scriptures, things are pretty good with most Filipinos.
Some Americans think like the sergeant in that old movie, "No time for sergeants."
Many are thinking concerning the Philippines that it is a hell hole in which to live. They might be thinking like the general here in the No Time for Sergeants Movie. Just substitute the word "the Philippines" for Georgia.
The general trying to insult the country hick, Will Stockdale, about his livin' in Georgia.
Maj. Demming:
I think that I would rather live in the rottenest pigsty in Tennessee or Alabama than the fanciest mansion in all of Georgia. How about that?
Will Stockdale:
Well, sir...I think where you wanna live is your business.
Take a look at this place in Manila.

Back