• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Baby, it's COLD outside!

MeganC

Seasoned Member
Real Person*
Female
Winter has truly arrived in America! We haven't had a high temp above freezing for a while now. Not so bad on snow but very cold.

While it's been crazy cold here in Wyoming there was a day when our friends in Van Alstyne, Texas were actually colder! And that's crazy!

The chickens are all cuddled up in their barn. The heat is turned up for them, too. The dogs and the barn cats are all inside too.

On Friday our modest herd of seven bison came down to the ranch and took up in the hay barn for most of Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. They're tough but this was a little much even for them. I don't think they minded having all the hay to themselves either! This morning they were back out but staying in the lower pasture instead of moving up the hill to forage.

Been feeling some small earthquakes around here lately and our hot spring is a bit hotter lately. We usually see the water coming out at around 110C to 120C and lately it's been more around 140C. The highest we've ever seen was 174C. Yes, the water is hotter than boiling.

How's everyone else doing with your local weather right now? Any fun or interesting stories to share?

I’m so envious! Do you guys realize how valuable that hot spring could be!? Unlimited hot water to heat a home or shop, greenhouse, potable hot water heater… the list goes on!

We’ve been keeping up with our daily 3 mile walks. Temps in the teens here yesterday and today. Unusually low, and we even have snow on the ground which is once in a decade. Three years ago we had a big snow storm here with 6” or so of accumulation. Nothing for a northern state but astonishing for here.

Our LGDs love the weather, goats are fluffy and complaining about not getting as much grain as they’re used to. (New goats)

Chickens are protected from frostbite, rabbits are in heaven with the cold weather. My middle son even doubled down on his cold plunge and went outside yesterday to do snow angels wearing nothing but pants.

I processed half a pickup bed load of blueberry cuttings for propagation while Catie cooked. The cold days are normally cozy inside days after kiddos take care of animals.

So many stories. Haha

We had temps in The negatives the past 4 days, morning and night. Typically ranging from -1 to -14 F, with windchill a lot of the time it felt -20 to -30 F. We are back up above zero today and even got into the teens today. Heat wave! Haha With the warming* up we are looking at another foot to foot 1/2 of snow the next day. LGD (at least half the time) and outdoor cats inside. And inside we are talking 120 sq ft. That along woth two adults and a baby in a work in progress space has made life interesting. Haha Sheep have been hunkered down but good and chickens are huddling but managing. Crazily enough we have gotten a few eggs from them this week! And they don't have a light in coop with them. Been doing sleep shifts to keep the wood stove going.

The adventures of being off grid. Haha

Well, it's down to 25C at night here (30C during the day) and since it's holidays next week we're heading to Boracay for the whole week.

The hydroponic lettuces are growing like crazy, so we're giving the extra away.

I read in the news that some places in Europe and the USA are experiencing the coldest weather on record, so we know the global warming gurus are as right on that as big pharma are on the clot shots protecting people from the pandemic.

Be warm and filled, brothers. Go in peace. :cool:

You have a hot spring!?!?

Yes.

That hot spring sounds so nice though! What do you do with it?

When we first bought the place the water from the hot spring could be used to heat the driveway, then the house, then the hot tub, and then the pool. The people who built the place did that.

The problem was they piped the water directly through the driveway and the house and the pipes filled up with minerals.

I want to say like five or six years ago Steve tore up the driveway and the pipes in the house. Then he built a heat exchanger which is much easier to clean. The water was then distributed out to the barns as well. It's free heat but once a year or so the heat exchanger has to be cleaned out. We do that in the summer when it's shut off anyway. Just drain it, fill it with vinegar, wait a week, and then drain it and chip out any hard stuff. It's not that big a deal. But free heat.

Weird thing about Wyoming is we can use the water for heat but it has to end up in the river when we're done because someone downstream owns that water. Our house water comes from a well near a creek uphill from here.

We'll hear about it on the news if something happens. If anybody here watches the news anymore please send me a message if something pops off where there are earthquakes and hot springs.

Does anyone here watch Dutchsince? Don't want to derail Megans thread too much, but I've found his videos to be pretty accurate in terms of earthquake forecasting, there's just a lot of conspiracy stuff to work around to get the 'meat'.

Well it was so cold here today that I regretted only taking a hoodie to work! I bet it didn’t get above 45 degrees. It looks like the coldest week of the year. I’m so glad I’m going to Phoenix this weekend!

I wonder if you could use that hot water to drive a Stirling engine for electricity generation. If it worked, in the winter when the air temperature is lower it would get more powerful, the very time your power consumption was higher.

Back