• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Baby, it's COLD outside!

I wonder if you could use that hot water to drive a Stirling engine for electricity generation. If it worked, in the winter when the air temperature is lower it would get more powerful, the very time your power consumption was higher.

Steve looked at that idea but the problem was the size engine/generator we'd need was not cost effective compared to a common commercial generator. Even then, the Sterling generators on the market all have a gas or diesel powered engine attached to them to provide steady power.

Like hybrid cars it's less expensive (TCO and ROI) to just have a plain old generator.

Steve looked at that idea but the problem was the size engine/generator we'd need was not cost effective compared to a common commercial generator. Even then, the Sterling generators on the market all have a gas or diesel powered engine attached to them to provide steady power.
Which is all down to the price savings of commercial production at scale. It would be entirely possible - and a hot spring would be a constant power source so provide steady power - but so few people actually need a generator that runs on a ~100C power source that there wouldn't be enough demand to create economies of scale.

I actually found an academic paper describing a design for a Stirling engine that would run on hot water and generate 500W of electricity - which if connected to a battery bank to provide peak demand is plenty to run a home, 12 kWh/day - so it's possible. Likely just not commercially viable.

Which is all down to the price savings of commercial production at scale. It would be entirely possible - and a hot spring would be a constant power source so provide steady power - but so few people actually need a generator that runs on a ~100C power source that there wouldn't be enough demand to create economies of scale.

I actually found an academic paper describing a design for a Stirling engine that would run on hot water and generate 500W of electricity - which if connected to a battery bank to provide peak demand is plenty to run a home, 12 kWh/day - so it's possible. Likely just not commercially viable.
If it’s hotter than boiling why can’t it be used to power a steam engine?

Lately it's been cold here in Eastern Washington too. At night it has dropped to around 0-10 F, with daytime highs between 5-20 F. Until this last week, our weather was surprisingly warm 40s to 50s. We are also having our first snow. We usually have some in December.

Earthing is good for you ☺️
I get it. I quit fighting my kids to wear shoes six children ago! I just think my toes would get chili running around when there's still ice on the ground. I like my shoes!

Problems that one might not realize existed:

I picked up a load of beer and twisted tea in northern Pennsylvania and had it in an unheated trailer for about 36 hours. My last 10 hour break was about 3 hours out of Nashville when the temperature dropped to -4f.
Dispatch reassured me that I was ok as long as I idled the truck all night, my suspension of unbelief was commercial grade.
It delivered at 38 degrees.
The ONLY time that I have ever appreciated a grass-burner (pointed at the ground) exhaust. It all went under the trailer.

I picked up a load of beer and twisted tea in northern Pennsylvania and had it in an unheated trailer for about 36 hours. My last 10 hour break was about 3 hours out of Nashville when the temperature dropped to -4f.
Dispatch reassured me that I was ok as long as I idled the truck all night, my suspension of unbelief was commercial grade.
The ONLY time that I have ever appreciated a grass-burner (pointed at the ground) exhaust. It all went under the trailer.
I'm glad things worked out. That could have been really messy. 😳

I don’t understand what any of this means. I feel left out and excluded. Also, unmanly because all of theses things sound like things a man should know. This is what normal men must feel like in my presence…..

It was -4 just outside Nashville?? 😳

At what temp does beer freeze? Seems like it would have to be pretty cold for that to happen.

Last edited:
It was -4 just outside Nashville?? 😳

At what temp does beer freeze? Seems like it would have to be pretty cold for that to happen.
Yes, that wasn’t a typo.
Beer starts to freeze at 28 degrees, I don’t know when it freezes solid enough to expand and deform the cans.
@steve when it’s really cold your air lines can freeze up, have you ever had that happen?
More than a few times.
We pour in denatured alcohol, beer isn’t strong enough 😉

Back