• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Bad Marriage Sayings

rockfox

Seasoned Member
Real Person*
Male
There are lots of little sayings that husbands commonly say which lead them astray in marriage. Some simply set them up for failure. Others are downright idolatrous. For example...

• Happy Wife Happy Life
  • Let me ask the boss
  • She who must be obeyed
  • I have her on a pedestal
  • My wife is perfect
  • I'm so lucky to have my wife
  • I'd be nothing without her
  • Lucky husband
  • Equal marriage
  • Don't be a doormat
  • She's such a saint
  • She would never do that
  • Not All Women Are Like That
  • Don't let her hear you say that
  • I could never do that
  • That wouldn't work for me
  • Be nice.
  • That's not loving (read nice).

What others have you heard or said yourself but have come to find are counterproductive?

"What is good for the goose is good for the gander"

Took me a while to wrap my head around the problem there as I mostly use that phrase to give feminists their comeuppance.

Another one...

"Men are like trucks, they work better loaded down."

Honey do lists

There are lots of little sayings that husbands commonly say which lead them astray in marriage. Some simply set them up for failure. Others are downright idolatrous. For example...

• Happy Wife Happy Life
  • Let me ask the boss
  • She who must be obeyed
  • I have her on a pedestal
  • My wife is perfect
  • I'm so lucky to have my wife
  • I'd be nothing without her
  • Lucky husband
  • Equal marriage
  • Don't be a doormat
  • She's such a saint
  • She would never do that
  • Not All Women Are Like That
  • Don't let her hear you say that
  • I could never do that
  • That wouldn't work for me
  • Be nice.
  • That's not loving (read nice).

What others have you heard or said yourself but have come to find are counterproductive?
Sigh....
Ok, so, you're going to have to explain to me what your problem is with about half of these. I honestly don't get it and don't see a problem.
There's a bunch of them that are putting the wife above or equal with the man, those are a problem. And things like happy wife happy life I understand, I honestly hate hearing that one, and I most often hear it in church.
But what is wrong with saying you're lucky to have your wife? Or you're a lucky husband? Samuel wouldn't use the word lucky, he would say blessed, but the meaning is the same.
Or be nice? Is there a problem with telling someone to be nice to your wife? Or being nice to her yourself?
Or being loving? Isn't that what the Bible commands you to do, love your wife?
I think I've read this post out of context. I certainly hope I have.

Sigh....
Ok, so, you're going to have to explain to me what your problem is with about half of these. I honestly don't get it and don't see a problem.
There's a bunch of them that are putting the wife above or equal with the man, those are a problem. And things like happy wife happy life I understand, I honestly hate hearing that one, and I most often hear it in church.
But what is wrong with saying you're lucky to have your wife? Or you're a lucky husband? Samuel wouldn't use the word lucky, he would say blessed, but the meaning is the same.
Or be nice? Is there a problem with telling someone to be nice to your wife? Or being nice to her yourself?
Or being loving? Isn't that what the Bible commands you to do, love your wife?
I think I've read this post out of context. I certainly hope I have.

I agree, some of these aren’t a problem in and of themselves, it’s just that many are said man to man and said with an underlying connotation of, or a Freudian excuse for, allowing the wife to lead.

So, context is key? Well, that makes more sense at least.
Yep... what men say when 'she who fives orders' is not around is quite different than when the 'ole lady' is within earshot.

I do see your point and headship does not mean a superiority complex. Quite the opposite, man's accountability for shepherding and tending his flock for a higher Authority should cause him to press in gently lead. I'm reminded that my job is to prepare and present her to the Messiah! I sure don't want to hurt or bruise...

@Well loved wife has one that really frustrates her, but its the woman usually saying it.

He’s not listening to me!

Now substitute submitting for listening, cause thats what she really means to say.
Yes!
The only proof that you “heard” her is when you make the decision the way that she thinks is best.
If not, well then you really didn’t hear her.

That one is such a cop-out!
The worst cop out I ever heard was an lds man who said that he and his wife had an understanding. She could make minor decisions and he would make the major ones. After 30 years of marriage he realized there had been no major decisions. o_O

In our community we have a neighbor, who every time I ask how he is doing, he says "I'm doing what my wife tells me to do" which isn't even a response that makes sense there!
It's almost as if he is proud of that fact, and has to find some way of telling everyone that his wife wears the pants!

Or it could be a sneaky way of telling me how he's actually doing, in such a way that his wife doesn't know how he actually feels!o_O:eek:

Back