• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Meat Becoming one

I see it far more a question of can this man become one with this woman.
If the answer is yes then the same question applies to subsequent women as well

Define "become one" for easier understanding.
The Hebrew word is "echad". It CAN be translated as a cardinal number, "one," but is - I contend, more imporantly - a "unity".

A flock of sheep is 'echad' - a unity; also "one" flock.

The "most famous" usage in Scripture, is "SHEMA, ISRAEL, Yahuah Elohenu, Yahuah echad..." (Hear - and obey - O, Israel...)

More apropos, in what the Messiah says is THE most important commandment in His Book, He Himself is 'echad,' a Unity. If you can't see that point, you probably won't understand what the "ideal" relationship is for a man with his wives, independent of a cardinal number.

Is "one" an ongoing permanent relationship? In my mind, becoming one is an present tense event(having sex) not a constant state unless we change the understanding of "flesh" as to mean something else.

So in one hour @Maddog and @Mark C have both given different definitions. Me thinks that clarification when someone speaks about becoming one is needed.

Does speaker mean physical union? Physical union with emotion connection? Physical union which includes spiritual "unification"? Or just spiritual union? Or maybe something like parents/children?

Is "one" an ongoing permanent relationship? In my mind, becoming one is an present tense event(having sex) not a constant state unless we change the understanding of "flesh" as to mean something else.

I don't think it's a euphemism for sex. It's true that language may have had some slightly different meaning than we full comprehend now, but there was other language used for sex, such as "to lay with", so there is no reason to think it would be swapped out here.

Personally, I consider it as "one unit" which aligns more with the definition @Marc C mentioned. So as marriage unites two former individuals, who may have formerly had total autonomy, they become one...with their actions, their futures, their emotional states, and perhaps their souls intertwined.

It might just be me but I wonder if spending time with your new spouse is an important factor in the becoming one process? Just thinking about this verse..

Deuteronomy 24:5
“When a man has taken a new wife, he shall not go out to war or be charged with any business; he shall be free at home one year, and bring happiness to his wife whom he has taken."

And also this one..
Matt. 10:5
"and said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and cleave to his wife, and they shall be -- the two -- for one flesh?"

Cleave can mean to cleave, join or glue to. My husband has suggested to me that the process of cleaving takes time but starts through the first time of having sex.

So in one hour @Maddog and @Mark C have both given different definitions. Me thinks that clarification when someone speaks about becoming one is needed.

Does speaker mean physical union? Physical union with emotion connection? Physical union which includes spiritual "unification"? Or just spiritual union? Or maybe something like parents/children?
Both. The physical union brings about a spiritual union. Faith without works is dead and works without faith are meaningless. It’s both.

Where is this in scripture? I know its a pop culture idea, right up there with “soulmate”. But it’s not scriptural.
Fair question and one I would ask myself. Since we’re already gearing up for a major skirmish I’m going to deflect a little bit. I’d like to rephrase the statement to read, “however one defines “marriage”, it should be axiomatic that it has both a spiritual and a physical dimension as well as consequences in both areas.”

Fair question and one I would ask myself. Since we’re already gearing up for a major skirmish I’m going to deflect a little bit. I’d like to rephrase the statement to read, “however one defines “marriage”, it should be axiomatic that it has both a spiritual and a physical dimension as well as consequences in both areas.”
I can definitely agree on that. I just don't see a "spiritual union" except with Christ.

Cool.

I can definitely agree on that. I just don't see a "spiritual union" except with Christ.

Cool.
It’s not a great phrase to use. I think the word “union” featured in the messages I was responding to and I used it in a way I wasn’t intending.

I am not a biblical scholar and will never claim to be one. I respect many of yall in Biblical Families alot! I want to know your definitions and thoughts. Thats why i made the post. Having said that...

Becoming one? In a marriage there is a bond that starts to form and hopefully before the marriage is even official. That bond prayerfully will grow as time goes by. Some call it a bond. Other call it love. It's that mind melding thing that doesn't really have an explanation. He knows her and she knows him. It's an intimacy that goes beyond sex and is almost spiritual. It is when the husband loves his wife and wants to protect her and provide for her. It's when the wife respects her husband's and wants to please him and take care of him. It's when she knows to her very core that she belongs to him.

Hopefully I didn't ruffle anyone's feathers by labeling this meat. But I prefer to face things head on. Just be straight up.

Recently I was informed that only one man and one woman could "become one" because Genesis 2:24 says the husband shall leave his mother and father and cleave unto his wife and become one flesh. Was that a metaphor for that "bond" that grows for many married couples?? You tell me. This person further explained that men are not capable of being one with more then women at a time. I would like to know what yall think??

Back