• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Best place to learn about and study The Torah?

There isn’t a difference between Torah and the KJV. The difference is in how certain passages in the latter part of the Bible, what is labeled the New Testament, are understood.
When our Messiah said that he didn’t come to destroy the law or the prophets, but to fulfill, what did he mean?
The biggest sticking point seems to be whether or not the animals that Yah declared to be unclean in the first part of our Bible remained unclean after our Messiah died for our sins on the cross.

Um... So I thought this might be a fine thread to ask it on but I recently keep hearing people talk about the Torah, and I heard about it once years ago from a guy who thought that meant we needed to keep the law of Moses exactly as is, but what is the difference between the Torah or the KJV of the bible? Is it a different translation or something? (I don't believe the KJV is a perfect translation the fact that they had to change Jacob's name to James in honor of the King is proof of that so I have been interested to learn Hebrew and try to read the bible as is.) Do followers of Torah have a different set of beliefs from normal christianity, like Christian but following Jewish Tradition or the law of Moses perfectly?
As you are seeing, you'll get different answers to that question, Ruth Elizabeth.

But I personally will always start by pointing out that the word "torah" itself is Hebrew, and usually MIS-translated into English as if it only means "law." It is MUCH more, and is in reality His "teaching and instruction." All of it. (Remember, when He came in the flesh, He often taught by parables, also thus "instruction." For our blessing.)

Often, you may hear people refer to THE Torah, capitalized, intended to refer specifically to the first five Books of the Bible, Written through Moses. But that Torah, too, uses words that mean things like 'law' (i.e., 'statutes, judgments, and commandments,') and gives us a LOT of instruction outside those as well. Lives and stories that literally define what 'faith' itself means, for just one example. And examples of just HOW things should work (as in all of Genesis, chapters 23 through 25, which is the whole basis for most of "English Common Law".)

I believe that the "Big Difference" boils down to what people have been taught - rightly, or wrongly - about what Messiah Yahushua said in His 'first public address' in Matthew 5:17-19:

That He did NOT come to 'do away with' that Instruction. Not one "yod or tiddle" (i.e., not even the tiniest part) so long as "heaven and earth" still exist. I contend they do, and He did not lie.

"Jewish tradition," on the other hand, is a "whole 'nuther thang." Yahushua called people "hypocrites" who violated the oft-repeated command (see Deut. 4:2, 12:32, and later the end of Revelation) not to "add to" or "subtract from" what He Himself had Written. (Examples: Matthew chapter 23, Mark chapter 7, etc.) Sadly, the 'church' has done EXACTLY the same thing - you will be able to see the examples yourself.

So, yes, for that reason (and others that you'll see here, such as the fact that ONE of those big 'additions and subtractions' was gutting and re-defining 'marriage' itself) --
myself and others who try to "study, to show yourself approved" will reject a lot of the "lies we have inherited from our fathers." (Jeremiah 16:19) from much of what might be called "xtianity" or 'churchianity.' Or other terms some don't like, but which come right from His Word, too. On THAT score, you'll find more in these threads as well. Blessings in your study.

Romans 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law no flesh will be justified in His sight, for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
1 John 3:4 Whoever commits sin also commits lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness.
We can know what sin is by knowing God's commands or His Law. Sin is defined by God therefore we need to know what He requires of each one of us and not violate His commands.
Okay thanks. The scriptures in Romans really helped clear that up for me

Thank you everyone that took the time to respond to my question! I think I understand it more though at first I was really confused because I kept hearing a lot of unfamiliar terminology without explanation. You can parse a lot when reading previous conversations and searching the Torah but you get a clearer picture by asking outright so once again thank you. I did meet a Torah following christian in England before but he wanted to outright follow Jewish Tradition and that didn't seem to be the case here.

I did meet a Torah following christian in England before but he wanted to outright follow Jewish Tradition and that didn't seem to be the case here.
Part of the confusion follows from OTHER things men do to "by your traditions, make the commandments of YHVH of no effect." (Mark 7 again.)

When you see words like "traditions of the elders," or even the Greek word 'nomos' translated into 'law' in places like Paul's writings (Romans, Galatian, in particular, etc) - recognize that there are things called "law" in English that AREN'T. (Just like in AmeriKa today; 'law' doesn't mean what it once did!)

Rabbinic Judaism will refer often to "oral torah" - which is said to be "law", too, but isn't actually Written in the Book. The history is a bit convoluted, but this is what Yahushua was referring to in Mark 7...things they said "you had better obey!" but that were NOT His Word. That seems to be a continuing pattern, whether it's forbidding to heal on the Sabbath, or fish on Friday.

Thank you everyone that took the time to respond to my question! I think I understand it more though at first I was really confused because I kept hearing a lot of unfamiliar terminology without explanation. You can parse a lot when reading previous conversations and searching the Torah but you get a clearer picture by asking outright so once again thank you. I did meet a Torah following christian in England before but he wanted to outright follow Jewish Tradition and that didn't seem to be the case here.

There are a lot of us who were in the church system but started to see that they were teaching a whole system of understanding scripture through the teachings of men AKA - theologians. which is basically commentary on how they interpret the scriptures for YOU. so seeing the warnings of staying away from the teachings of men FROM scripture alot of people tossed out this system and just started reading the scriptures plainly as they are with no outside interference, which then leads to the understanding of the commandments and laws were not done away with.

From there on however a lot of people take different paths on the Torah walk and its mainly due to rabbinical traditions(which is basically scripture commentary but from rabbis over the centuries). some throw out all of the rabbinical teachings and just follow the scriptures only, some follow some of those teachings while discarding other portions of it. and some even follow rabbinical traditions coupled with some of the protestant theological teachings they first walked away from.

I know it can be very confusing when you first start learning about Torah with all these differences out there, but i hope this cleared some of it up for you too.

I haven’t noticed anyone do this in this thread yet but just as a friendly reminder; the ministry has a deliberate policy of not advocating for or against so called “Torah keeping”. It’s fine to talk about it as long as it is not presented as being required or forbidden, or superior or inferior to any other theological approach to our relationship with Jesus.

I haven’t noticed anyone do this in this thread yet but just as a friendly reminder; the ministry has a deliberate policy of not advocating for or against so called “Torah keeping”. It’s fine to talk about it as long as it is not presented as being required or forbidden, or superior or inferior to any other theological approach to our relationship with Jesus.
The ministry? Who are the ministry? I read the homepage and the rules in the forum but I didn't see anything explicitly saying that, is it in the comments? Or are there multiple places where rules are stated and just written more explicitly in different spots? Sorry I just joined this recently because I wanted to hear from and talk to other christians who believed that Abraham was not a sinner for having multiple wives, so I am still get accustomed to all the rules, but I don't think though it would be offensive if people on a thread about the Torah advocated it. I think if I asked someone about what they believe I would expect them to advocate their beliefs. I mean an explanation doesn't always require advocating an idea, but if I walked into a church to ask about their beliefs I wouldn't be offended that they advocated it to me, which is part of why I thought it would be okay to ask about the Torah on a thread about studying it because they believe it and can explain it a bit more clearly without bothering people who aren't interested in it or don't hold the same belief system. I apologize I asked the question about what it is. I had no intention to break rules, or lead to an argument and I asked where I did because I thought it would be in a place that would not bother other folks if Torah keeping people did end up advocating their beliefs in the process of answering me. I've run into Torah users terminology a lot in the recents months, was unsure of what they were talking about or what the Torah even was, saw the thread, and thought it would be a safe place to ask.

The ministry? Who are the ministry? I read the homepage and the rules in the forum but I didn't see anything explicitly saying that, is it in the comments? Or are there multiple places where rules are stated and just written more explicitly in different spots? Sorry I just joined this recently because I wanted to hear from and talk to other christians who believed that Abraham was not a sinner for having multiple wives, so I am still get accustomed to all the rules, but I don't think though it would be offensive if people on a thread about the Torah advocated it. I think if I asked someone about what they believe I would expect them to advocate their beliefs. I mean an explanation doesn't always require advocating an idea, but if I walked into a church to ask about their beliefs I wouldn't be offended that they advocated it to me, which is part of why I thought it would be okay to ask about the Torah on a thread about studying it because they believe it and can explain it a bit more clearly without bothering people who aren't interested in it or don't hold the same belief system. I apologize I asked the question about what it is. I had no intention to break rules, or lead to an argument and I asked where I did because I thought it would be in a place that would not bother other folks if Torah keeping people did end up advocating their beliefs in the process of answering me. I've run into Torah users terminology a lot in the recents months, was unsure of what they were talking about or what the Torah even was, saw the thread, and thought it would be a safe place to ask.
Basically we've had a problem here with people being so pushy about this issue in one direction or the other that it has turned many people away. Feel free to ask your questions, others are free to answer. The people @The Revolting Man is talking to know what he's referring to, and his gentle reminder will make sure the tone remains welcoming and helpful.

You didn’t do anything wrong, I was just being proactive.

Back