• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Biblical money

Those 10% allocations are for garden variety (every 80 years of so) Depressions and the occasional systemic failure. Everything about this NEXT one (from debt levels to open genocide, to unmasked Evil) says it will be of "Biblical proportions."
I agree that 5-10% is more of a recommendation for normal times. These aren't normal times. This is a time of incredible transition/destruction.

Recently, I've been reading a book entitled "Savage Continent" which examines Europe in the aftermath of WW2. We Americans, Canadians, Brits, etc generally have no clue how bad things were on the continent. Conditions were truly horrific.

I think the future might be worse.

Personally, I didn't start buying silver or gold until I had a 6 month plus cash emergency fund, 3 months plus food storage, a large garden plus fruit trees etc, and finished paying off the house. That was around ten years ago when the world was less crazy.

Today, I would recommend getting at least some silver long before one finished paying off his mortgage.

Precisely, metals can be converted into any currency. Having enough on hand to pay your way through/onto/into something and then land and re-establish is really the only other purpose I can see for metals outside of an established community already using it for trade. Unless a community is where you land, you most likely won't be transacting in metals but converting to the accepted currency, which most likely won't be silver. The only purpose metals serve then is to store wealth for conversion/transition. Hence the ratio's I provided, for family size. I suppose silver is not worth holding unless you plan to transact with it. Gold is more for conversion/transition.
I see the portability of gold being pretty important. Ten ounces of gold are easier to move than eight hundred ounces of silver. Cryptos are even more portable, though I haven't got into them.

I don't see how a ratio is a relevant way to look at it at all. Everyone's situation is different. Ultimately, the only purpose of precious metals is to convert it into what you need in a collapse.

If you're in the country already, preparing where you'll plan to hunker down, you'll have little need for gold and silver. In fact, you'll likely obtain it during the collapse, as you'll be the person people are trying to buy stuff from - food, livestock, maybe even land. Better to put your resources into tangible assets that will both grow your wealth in the short term and be useful in the long term (like livestock, seed and machinery).

On the other hand, if you live in the city and would be bugging out in such a scenario, have gold you can hide and carry to where you'll try and use it to buy what you need off someone in the country.

Obviously everyone should have a bit of everything, but I can't see how a recommended ratio is useful at all, because everyone's needs will differ markedly from it - the farmer needs less and the city dweller needs more, and nobody even fits cleanly into one category anyway.

I suppose silver is not worth holding unless you plan to transact with it. Gold is more for conversion/transition.
Ouch.

Not at ALL.

ONE, not the only, purpose of holding what Scripture says repeatedly IS 'money' and an "honest weight" is surviving that inevitable collapse of every fiat (fake) alternative.

And while gold is fine, and for now more portable, there are other considerations:

The "ratio trade," which involves "reversion to the mean" (some will understand; for others, do a web search, since I'm not trying to write an investment book here) suggests (because history does) that things which get "out of whack" eventually return to equilibrium, or revert to the mean. A pendulum eventually hangs straight down...

...when stocks get "overvalued" in terms of things like PE ratio or ROI, they eventually "return" to the historic level...

...and the historic ratio of gold-to-silver, typically between 16:1 and 20-to-1 (think "double eagle and silver dollar") will eventually head BACK to that level from the current, stratospheric, imbalance. (often somewhere north of 85:1 for some time now.)

So, there's a demonstrable probability that if you exchange, say, $20,000 for about 10 ounces of gold, and the dollar collapses as expected (and it may take a while, via Bidenflation, or happen "suddenly" for any of a number of other reasons) - you've still got those ten ounces. Maybe worth $2 million in Bidenbux or FedNows or KamalaHumpen.

But if you chose to buy a bag (or so) of 'junk silver' with the same later-worth-less fiat, you probably end up with 5X more actual 'purchasing power.' And it's more divisible, besides. (And may be easier to VERIFY: it's not nearly as profitable to counterfeit, today, a Mercury dime than it is a Liberty Double-Eagle.)

Today, I would recommend getting at least some silver long before one finished paying off his mortgage.
Good example. IF you want to stay wherever that is, and "pay off the mortgage," buy a bag of junk silver now, then offer it to the bank after the collapse in exchange...

The "ratio trade," which involves "reversion to the mean" (some will understand; for others, do a web search, since I'm not trying to write an investment book here) suggests (because history does) that things which get "out of whack" eventually return to equilibrium, or revert to the mean. A pendulum eventually hangs straight down...
Fiat money will get reduced in value while tangible assets (fields, real estate etc...) will rise.

I am curious what in your minds is a good amount to stack? Originally I was under the impression of 10% of your total assets in metal, however as one becomes more wealthy this doesn't scale well. I was thinking somewhere around 100oz of silver and 1 oz of gold is a good starting goal for a single man. Topping at maybe 1000oz of silver and 10oz of gold for a man with a house and a wife, maybe 2. Until you have a larger family (multiple wives and sons) and can produce at least 90% of what you consume I see no reason to stack above that, short of being in an actual community utilizing metals for transacting. Thoughts?
What else are you putting your surplus in to? The stock market? Bonds? Treasuries? Precious metals are an excellent store of value. I don’t understand why there’s a need to cap how much of it you have.

What else are you putting your surplus in to? The stock market? Bonds? Treasuries? Precious metals are an excellent store of value. I don’t understand why there’s a need to cap how much of it you have.
I think the practical cap is where their purchase hinders one from doing other good things, or making other good purchases. For example, I have some money in savings that I could put into silver or gold, but think I should probably use it to invest in a bit of land in a red state instead (already having a fair bit of PMs). I also recently purchased an older 4x4 truck and a nice but older travel trailer as tangible assets instead of more PMs.

RE: "Regression to the Mean" - investment, as opposed to "prep"
(You need food, water, shelter...investment is what is done with a surplus above necessities; planning for the future.)

Part of the question is "informed speculation," what is likely to happen in that future.

That principle goes like this story:

Years ago, I had a friend, one-time manager at IBM, who left to become a brilliant investment advisor, later...early retiree... :D

He had one strategy (among many) I liked - find good quality tax-free muni bonds that paid interest equal to or greater than your house note. (Say, a 7% bond, vs a 6% morgtage; yeah, those numbers date me. Those were the Good Ole Days...)

EVENTUALLY, you end up with $100K worth of bonds, and a $100K mortgage. No money out-of-pocket each month, so you "live for free," but still get that vaunted "tax deduction."

As economics suggest, those rates and ratios don't last.

But silver does.

I think the practical cap is where their purchase hinders one from doing other good things, or making other good purchases. For example, I have some money in savings that I could put into silver or gold, but think I should probably use it to invest in a bit of land in a red state instead (already having a fair bit of PMs). I also recently purchased an older 4x4 truck and a nice but older travel trailer as tangible assets instead of more PMs.
I’m talking about a regular, recurring surplus.

And while gold is fine, and for now more portable, there are other considerations
Amen, amen. I have a significant amount of gold, but it's far more cumbersome for making transactions, because it's extremely difficult to shave off the right amount to make most barter transactions viable.

To me, silver is the right balance -- and if you're looking for a combination between unshakeableness and usefulness, I highly recommend getting into Bitcoin now, before next spring's next halving takes place.

Excellent point. Right now I see little reason to invest in anything but land, metals and Bitcoin.

RE: "Regression to the Mean" - investment, as opposed to "prep"
(You need food, water, shelter...investment is what is done with a surplus above necessities; planning for the future.)
Gold. Your comment, not the metal.

Agreed, and probably in that order of priority 1. land 2. metals 3. Bitcoin or perhaps other cryptos
The trouble is that buying land requires saving up many thousands of dollars, and silver is something you can pick up in small quantities (cryptos too). You can buy an ounce of silver if you have around $20.

Back