• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Biblically speaking. If a man/household needs a first wife's outside income, is the husband right in seeking additional wives?

Are they supposed to wait to get married until all debt is paid off?

What do you think Dave Ramsey would say? And I do not ask that lightly, I know of Dave Ramsey but I do not know much about everything he says so this is a serious question.

What do you think Dave Ramsey would say? And I do not ask that lightly, I know of Dave Ramsey but I do not know much about everything he says so this is a serious question.
No, he would not. He wouldn't make the perfect the enemy of the good. He would recommend entirely reorienting their finances, but I've never heard of him promoting extended celibacy for the sake of getting rid of debt. What I have heard him say is that it's worthwhile to reorient the finances to line up with scriptural imperatives at the beginning of the engagement period -- including forsaking the spending of money on a lavish wedding when it could be used to pay off debts and/or invest in something like a home or starting a reasonable business.

My point is that, while I'm all in favor of eliminating debt, I don't believe it should be a hard and fast rule before entering into any marriage, poly or mono.

Interesting perspective. This is where my analytical engineering brain has a sandbox to play in. (Play with these numbers as you will) If average husband takes home $3K, house is $2K (mortgage, power, water, etc), and another meager $500 in food, clothing. He’s still providing for his home. Now along comes 2nd wife and there isn’t enough for a second home, but might have just enough to add more food and clothing to the household. It would be easy for a wife to earn for “vacation” or lifestyle. Money is fungible. The issue is what are necessities and what are wants. Car payments, entertainment, eating out, etc. Also, the average person has little budgeting mindset, and lacks self control. Look at the stats for income, savings, debt, etc. It’s almost always a behavior problem, not a math problem. Review the man’s character.

These verses state that a man should provide for his household through work.

1 Timothy 5:8 "But if anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially members of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever."

Proverbs 13:22 "A good man leaves an inheritance to his children's children, but the sinner's wealth is laid up for the righteous."

2 Thessalonians 3:10 "For even when were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat. For we hear that some among you walk in idleness, not busy at work, but busybodies. Now such persons we command and encourage in the Lord Jesus Christ to do their work quietly and to earn their own living. As for you, Brothers, do not grow weary in doing good."

2 Corinthians 9:10 "He who supplies the seed to the sower and bread for food will supply and multiply your seed for sowing and increase the harvest of your righteousness. You will be enriched in every way to be generous in every way, which through us will provide thanksgiving to God."

Among others.

What peeked my interest in this is the following-

Exodus 21:10 "If he takes an additional wife, he must not reduce the food, clothing, or marital rights of the first wife."

If a household needs a first wife's additional outside income to support the family. Technically the man is not providing enough.

Also these verses imply that women should work within the household-

1 Timothy 5:13 “They also learn to waste their time in going around from house to house; but even worse, they learn to be gossips and busybodies talking of things they should not. So I would prefer that the younger widows get married, have children, and take care of their homes, so as to give our enemies no chance of speaking evil of us. For some widows have already turned away to follow Satan.”

Titus 2:3-5 “In the same way instruct the older women to behave as women should who live a holy life. They must not be slanderers or slaves to wine. They must teach what is good, in order to train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, and to be good housewives who submit themselves to their husbands, so that no one will speak evil of the message that comes from God.”

However these reference working outside of the household, sort of...

Proverbs 31:12 “She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life. She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands. She is like the merchant ships, bringing her food from afar. She gets up while it is still night; she provides food for her family and portions for her female servants. She considers a field and buys it; out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.”

Proverbs 31:18 “She perceives that her merchandise is profitable. Her lamp does not go out at night.”

Proverbs 31:24 “She makes linen garments and sells them; she delivers sashes to the merchant.”

I'm genuinely curious about what i'm misunderstanding? Also I am not trying to start another submission debate lol i've had enough of that. However I do have another question. I've seen others reference that women should submit to men because men provide for the household. If a woman needs to work outside of the household, then is he holding up his end of the bargain?

There is a Biblical reason and I am sure it has been talked about, but also I want to say that one person's income might not be enough for just one person. Now let's say you have two adults and a child, Both have to work or most will not make it. For me and my house none of my wives can be a boss over any man so they do stuff that won't require, it is best to do work from home or start your own family business. Right Now we are just beginning to feel the impact of inflation and it won't stop, I am that person who is saying Join together and become stronger or you will lose everything. One Man and Multiple Wives who work at home or do their own businesses will use the Multiple Income Structure/Bulk buying and reduce the cost of everything. Even if a wife brings in $1,000 per month it would have much more value then by herself, as with myself I own my house and that would save on rent. We all eat the same food so that is bulk cost as well. Women who are the same size can wear each others clothes so increasing their wardrobes same with our children. The Larger the family the more cost effective.

Last edited:
These verses state that a man should provide for his household through work.

1 Timothy 5:8 "But if anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially members of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever."

[But] Exodus 21:10 "If he takes an additional wife, he must not reduce the food, clothing, or marital rights of the first wife."

If a household needs a first wife's additional outside income to support the family...the man is not providing enough.

...women should work within the household...[but] these reference working outside of the household, sort of...
...Proverbs 31...

I'm genuinely curious about what i'm misunderstanding?

Didn't see this in there:

The real problem with understanding any apparent conflict has to do with the word "income" -
it's an IRS trap, not a Scriptural one.

Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob never had a single fiat dollar of 'income.' Yet, without question, they worked hard, provided for their wives and children, and were blessed of Yah.

The 'additional wife' does not diminish the food, clothing, or 'marital blessings' provided to those who came before. That does not mean, as Proverbs 31 makes clear, that wives shouldn't "pull their weight" - better, make a positive contribution, to the house.

And, without question, one of the many strengths of polygyny is "division of labor," and the related fact that the sum really is greater than the parts.

I contend that, now, more than ever in modern history, additional wives are NECESSARY to the success of a family. (Example abound here, from schooling and child care, to keeping the books.)

How can two people, even with a couple of strapping sons, ever hope, for example, to keep a 24 hour watch against the 'zombie hordes'? Much less grow food, harvest it, cook it, change the oil in the tractor, and keep the guns clean?

Isaiah 4:1
I was wondering when Isaiah 4:1 would come up... clear indication that the woman can come to the man and gladly provide for self/pull her weight in the equation in order to be covered.. Seems, that would include working if he allowed that.

There's a lot of good points here, and I agree I don't think it is an issue scripturally, a woman is supposed to be a help meet. Taking a step back and applying the contextual logic of of the OP's original question, I would put forth if the man was unable to support the household before marrying his first wife, needing to rely on her income after marriage. Was he right in seeking the first wife at all, if qualification is dependent on financial stability/independence? If it wasn't a problem originally, why would it become one now? Instead I would be more concerned about whether his house is in order, allowing for successful integration of the new wife. I could see it becoming an issue if the household is struggling to make ends meet and the new wife would not be helping to alleviate that in some way, but instead be a drain on already sparse resources.

According to scripture he is to ensure a wife has food, shelter, and clothing.

Those are relatively minor expenses.

What would concern me when I was looking for my first wife if her attitude was something along the lines of “you have to provide all my needs and I’m not working” I’d have passed over anybody with that attitude.

I chose my wife because her attitude was. “I’ll happily work and help you in any way I can. I will joyfully submit to you in everything and obey you. I will follow your lead wherever you lead me.”

That was her attitude and that’s why I chose her.

While I applaud your efforts to make sure you are choosing wisely and to vet a potential man. Make sure you aren’t minding God’s business and getting into the mindset of being the judge of your man. God judges him and chastises him for wrong behavior. That’s His business not yours. Again, great if you’re learning this in order to vet a good man and ensure you’re not going to submit to a lazy so-and-so.

In scriptural examples you have to understand that the man owned all the property, labor, proceeds, children, everything that was in his household. Everyone was culturally expected to work and contribute to the household. Everyone worked period. Everyone contributed. If he didn’t clothe one of those wives, he would be reprimanded by the elders. Because it would be shameful to not take care of his family or to show favoritism. He was not the sole provider and worker that did all the labor while everyone else enjoyed his fruits. Went to soccer practice, school, puttered around the house, did cooking and cleaning. Got her nails did.

The modern western world’s idea of a stay at home wife is much more leisurely minded than the rest of history. Those women WORKED!

So to answer concisely. IF I were to seek a second, she would be expected to work in some capacity and contribute to the household with some kind of productive behavior. That should be expected. That might mean working outside the home for a time, it might mean working as a secretary for me, or helping me with writing books. Might mean helping with growing food in our garden and caring for livestock. If another grown adult is joining a family, why should they not expect to pull their own weight? Shouldn't she desire to help as much as she could?

Speaking personally. I can't afford to take a second wife if she's a freeloader and dead weight. But having a second would likely more than double my income since I'm self employed and could branch out into more enterprises, writing and teaching more. It would be a tremendous leap forward in financial security for my family.

So the real question comes down to what do you mean by "support another wife"? Does that mean pay for the lifestyle she is used to? Pay for her to sit home watching soaps and eating bonbons? Or does that mean "can she have her material needs met by joining?". Because if she's worth her salt, she could be bringing more to the table than she's removing.
Well said sir

Is a man right in seeking additional wives if he needs a first wife's income to provide food and clothing?
Exodus 21:10 is about fairness between wives, not where the money comes from. Don't neglect your first wife while spoiling the new one with fancy clothes.

The modern mindset is 'making money = work' and 'my money is my money and his money is my money'. Both are unbiblical. The family works together. Not all may draw income but all should work and the man manages the finances, regardless of their source.

Will an additional wife improve or worsen the economic picture? In most cases economies of scale dictate improvement.

What caused my confusion was the Bible verses stating that a woman's work was is in the home and implying that a man's was outside of the home. I needed some clarification.
Generally yes to the former, no to the later. All are to work, the idea that a man's work is outside the home is a unique cultural artifact of our corportist capitalistic society.

Food, clothing and shelter were her rights. Husband has to provide unless she waiwers her's rights.

Second wife has to explicity waiwer for marriage to happen.

What about if he breaks his legs and can't work,
That is my situation right now, and I am going on week # 6 of NOT being able to work. Before I did a career change we were always a one income home, the only reason Paula is working now is because we empty nesters and she wanted something to do. As she put it I can only clean the house so many times, I gave her my blessing BUT she is not to take on a role that would put her over a man. So I am glad she is working right now.
However, if God drops an additional wife in his lap and says "here she is", then he should marry her regardless of financial circumstances.
Amen, the Father knows best, we just need to have faith that the Father will meet those needs.
There's nothing in there about smartphones, social media, trips to the museums, or any kind of generalized grins and giggles. Much less 401Ks.
Yes we need to... KISS

Keep
It
Simple
Silly
So it's all well and good to say that a man shouldn't seek a second wife until he's got all of his ducks in a row,
When Paula and I met all I had was a job and a room, I definitely did NOT have my ducks in a row. Are they in a row now at going 31 years? Yes I think they are. Are they in a row to take on a second or more?? I hope so. So If I were to take a second this would be my FIRST rodeo.
“you have to provide all my needs and I’m not working” I’d have passed over anybody with that attitude.
AMEN!!
Speaking personally. I can't afford to take a second wife if she's a freeloader and dead weight.
Some women just want a sugar daddy.
Was he right in seeking the first wife at all,
They seemed to think it was right.
If it wasn't a problem originally, why would it become one now?
Exactly.
Instead I would be more concerned about whether his house is in order, allowing for successful integration of the new wife.
Yes, if there is not order in the home with one, two could either make it or break it.

@MemeFan, you are making no sense. The second wife has to agree the husband cannot fulfil his marital duties to her if she wants to marry him? What's the point in marrying him then if he's not going to fulfil his marital duties - what sort of marriage are you even talking about which has no sex, protection or other marital duties?
I am sure I am misunderstanding you. If it's an important point you need to explain it more clearly.

@MemeFan, you are making no sense. The second wife has to agree the husband cannot fulfil his marital duties to her if she wants to marry him? What's the point in marrying him then if he's not going to fulfil his marital duties - what sort of marriage are you even talking about which has no sex, protection or other marital duties?
I am sure I am misunderstanding you. If it's an important point you need to explain it more clearly.
What is he is ootential husband is lacking only as provider, but not in anything else? Political dissident in authoritarian regime wouldn't certainly lack in bravery department.

What is he is ootential husband is lacking only as provider, but not in anything else? Political dissident in authoritarian regime wouldn't certainly lack in bravery department.
What I hear you saying is that if a potential husband has problems that prevent him from providing the normal requirements, she can waive her rights to them and still have a marriage.
Possibly even a good one.

Back