• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Biblically speaking. If a man/household needs a first wife's outside income, is the husband right in seeking additional wives?

I'm still curious your take on my Polygamy question though. Is a man right in seeking additional wives if he needs a first wife's income to provide food and clothing?
many men do not require their first wives bring in income but do require any additional wives who come in to work and take care of themselves.

many men do not require their first wives bring in income but do require any additional wives who come in to work and take care of themselves.
For obvious practical reasons. If wife 1 is already a housewife, and wife 2 already has a job as she has been living alone, and the husband can't afford two housewives, it makes practical sense for wife 2 to keep her job at least initially.

Obviously wife 2 has the clear choice between being a working single woman and a working married woman, she doesn't have to marry on those terms if she prefers to remain single. If she has a job, she doesn't "need" him for economic reasons, it's entirely her decision whether marriage to him is desirable or not. It's got nothing to do with equal treatment - that may be an impossible fantasy unless marrying a billionaire. It's about whether marrying is the right decision for her personally under the practical terms available.

For obvious practical reasons. If wife 1 is already a housewife, and wife 2 already has a job as she has been living alone, and the husband can't afford two housewives, it makes practical sense for wife 2 to keep her job at least initially.

Obviously wife 2 has the clear choice between being a working single woman and a working married woman, she doesn't have to marry on those terms if she prefers to remain single. If she has a job, she doesn't "need" him for economic reasons, it's entirely her decision whether marriage to him is desirable or not. It's got nothing to do with equal treatment - that may be an impossible fantasy unless marrying a billionaire. It's about whether marrying is the right decision for her personally under the practical terms available.
And it depends on the ages of those involved. Adding a wife who is past child bearing will likely be different to a young virgin whose hope and desire is to raise a family.

Good example of what I was talking about.

Second wife has right to shelter and food. Here potential husband can't provide. For marriage to work she was to waive her rights.

These verses state that a man should provide for his household through work.

1 Timothy 5:8 "But if anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially members of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever."

Proverbs 13:22 "A good man leaves an inheritance to his children's children, but the sinner's wealth is laid up for the righteous."

2 Thessalonians 3:10 "For even when were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat. For we hear that some among you walk in idleness, not busy at work, but busybodies. Now such persons we command and encourage in the Lord Jesus Christ to do their work quietly and to earn their own living. As for you, Brothers, do not grow weary in doing good."

2 Corinthians 9:10 "He who supplies the seed to the sower and bread for food will supply and multiply your seed for sowing and increase the harvest of your righteousness. You will be enriched in every way to be generous in every way, which through us will provide thanksgiving to God."

Among others.

What peeked my interest in this is the following-

Exodus 21:10 "If he takes an additional wife, he must not reduce the food, clothing, or marital rights of the first wife."

If a household needs a first wife's additional outside income to support the family. Technically the man is not providing enough.

Also these verses imply that women should work within the household-

1 Timothy 5:13 “They also learn to waste their time in going around from house to house; but even worse, they learn to be gossips and busybodies talking of things they should not. So I would prefer that the younger widows get married, have children, and take care of their homes, so as to give our enemies no chance of speaking evil of us. For some widows have already turned away to follow Satan.”

Titus 2:3-5 “In the same way instruct the older women to behave as women should who live a holy life. They must not be slanderers or slaves to wine. They must teach what is good, in order to train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, and to be good housewives who submit themselves to their husbands, so that no one will speak evil of the message that comes from God.”

However these reference working outside of the household, sort of...

Proverbs 31:12 “She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life. She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands. She is like the merchant ships, bringing her food from afar. She gets up while it is still night; she provides food for her family and portions for her female servants. She considers a field and buys it; out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.”

Proverbs 31:18 “She perceives that her merchandise is profitable. Her lamp does not go out at night.”

Proverbs 31:24 “She makes linen garments and sells them; she delivers sashes to the merchant.”

I'm genuinely curious about what i'm misunderstanding? Also I am not trying to start another submission debate lol i've had enough of that. However I do have another question. I've seen others reference that women should submit to men because men provide for the household. If a woman needs to work outside of the household, then is he holding up his end of the bargain?
Well, the right thing is for a man to be the provider of his wife and family or wives and family. this is biblical correctness. Except when the man gets sick (which can happen at some point in life) when the man gets sick it is logical that the responsibility of the woman or women increases. (in this case the man got sick it is very beneficial to have more than one woman in the house to share the responsibilities)

As for having more than one wife It is usually the first wife that helps a man find new wives in the bible. See the stories of Abraham Jaco and others.
Even because a woman who is a friend of the wife as the husband's second wife facilitates coexistence.
or it can happen marriages with several wives in a short period of time or at the same time like for example Matthew 25 1-13 where the groom is marrying 5 women in a single ceremony.

Back