• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

General Brand New and Trying to Make Up my mind

Reuben

Male
Hello,
I'm brand new to this site and only discovered it because I have been researching this topic for several months now because I have been feeling compelled to have a second wife, but I did not know if my feelings were Biblical or sinful. I love my first wife and my existing children, but I still want more children and help for my first wife as well. I'm just not really sure what the "right" reasons are for having a second wife??? Is there a "right" or "wrong" reason (or feelings/desires) to seek a second wife? If so, what are they? I haven't even talked to my wife about this yet so I don't know how she would respond. I'm trying to figure it out as I go. Thanks for any insights or support!! Glad I found this site!!!

Welcome! There really isn't a set list of right or wrong reasons. I think that it depends on the individual, what's right for you may be wrong for someone else. It really all boils down to what God wants for you. Maybe it's a second wife. Maybe it's just having the knowledge of PM so you can help someone else. Maybe it's a wife who can't have children but wants to be part of a family. This is as much about what you can do for another wife as what a second wife can do for you and your family.

Please take it slowly with your wife. Understand that she most likely won't take this very well at first, and it may take years for her to wrap her head around it. Give her the space to let the Holy Spirit work on her. Love her, show her kindness, trust, and leadership.

Hi @Reuben. Welcome! To answer your questions about the “right” or “wrong” reasons, it/they are exactly the same as for your first wife. However, with adding another wife to your home, the complexity of how to make that work seems more complex on an order of magnitude. Just be very careful and cautious how you approach this, genuinely become the best husband you can possibly be, learn everything you can about the topic so that you thoroughly understand it, and commit your way and your steps to your Master’s will, whether that is to remain as you are, or to add another wife to your family.

Shalom and welcome., @Reuben

This is a journey, more than a destination. Youwill learn more about God, His Word, Truth, yourself, the religious and world systems and your wife. Take it slow, be very patient with her and recognize, this will be a bombshell of epic proportions... live her through the intense emotional crazy.

We are here to help and support as well as be a source of solid Biblical study.

Greetings and welcome to Biblical Families. Glad you found this ministry as it's the most encouraging and helpful place on the internet I know of for those interested in the subject of biblical families, which obviously includes the matter of plural marriage.

As to your question about the rights and wrongs of plural marriage; marriage is right, no question about that. The Word of God is very clear; He who finds a wife finds a good thing, And obtains favor from the Lord (Proverbs 18:22). And, It is not good the man should be alone (Gen. 2:18). God made marriage, but He didn't make monogamy-only; each man has the right to choose to be married or single and to choose (wisely) his number of wives.

Having said that, in his epistle to the Corinthians, Paul gave a principal for all Christians to live by for everything in life, even down to the basics of food and drink. He wrote saying, whatever you do, do all to the glory of God (1 Cor. 10:31). So a simple question to consider in answer to your question (Yes, I'm answering your question with a question), is; how will my decision bring glory to God? There are very good points for you to consider in the answers others have already given above regarding your existing wife/marriage and I'm sure more will be added.

Blessings and best wishes in your journey. Shalom.

Last edited:
most likely won't take this very well at first

For some wives this just means more regular drama. But for a not insignificant portion this means she'll flip out and demand (and follow through with) divorce if you don't renounce the idea.

It is better if your marriage is on very sound, patriarchal ground, before you bring this up.

Welcome Reuben! So good to have you here! Since we know that having a second wife, is not sinful, and we know that God is the One who gives us men the desire to marry, you can be assured that this compulsion you feel to have a second wife, is from God. How to get there, however, is dicey, as you, like the vast majority of us, probably live in a monogamous culture, and your wife married you under the presumption of monogamy. She will be devastated when she finds out that you desire to take a second wife. There is no way around that. She will feel like the marriage is over and that you no longer love her. She will want to know why you need another wife. She will want you to go to counseling. She will see this for the abnormality that it is, unless you live near Hillsdale or parts of northern Mexico, and that is a very unsafe feeling for her.

I would suggest you ground yourself in the Biblical arguments for polygamy, and familiarize yourself with how to defend against the arguments others employ in their efforts to deem polygamy to be sinful, first and foremost. If your wife thinks that this desire of yours is sinful and from the devil, she will have no trouble finding people who will tell her that she should walk away from you. They will have her convinced that you are an apostate, and that is enough rationale for a lot of people to do so. I am not saying that they are right, because when I read my Bible, I see nothing that would rationalize this idea that if your spouse apostatizes, you are free to divorce them and remarry. However, you want to be able to point out clearly and concisely what the Bible says, because you also want to have the respect of your wife, as a Biblical leader in your home.

This site here is the perfect site for you to learn how to bolster your arguments. We have a thread on Logical Fallacies that Anti-Polys Love to Employ, and how to identify them. We have Biblical references that you can look up, to prove some of the arguments that we put forward, and those are critical, because some anti-polys are familiar with some of our arguments, and they will employ all kinds of responses, in an effort to dismiss our arguments. I would encourage you to go online to various forums and present the arguments that you are familiar with, in order to prepare you for the onslaught that you are going to face in the real world. Try to use the strongest arguments in your arsenal, and avoid the weaker arguments, because you will want to be able to able to hold your ground, and you don't want to use an argument that you will have to concede on. Be aware that you will take all kinds of guff from people, who will impugn your motives, and are convinced that you are on your way to hell.

Refer back over here to this site, whenever you get stuck on an issue, because we are here to help, and you can search this forum to find many of the answers you need. Also, Brian Kelson and William Luck have excellent videos that I would encourage you to watch on YouTube, to deal with the toughest challenges you will face. I encourage you to watch Luck's video on Lev 18:18. This Angelo Tosato fellow, that the anti-polys are relying on, was a Roman Catholic priest, and his claim, that the Qumran community, which was in fact anti-poly, interpreted "sisters" broadly, is patently false. After you have had a few months of online debate, where you feel you have either convincingly won the argument, or your opponents have to resort to extra-Biblical writings, and so-called "experts" like Tosato, and you can claim the Biblical high ground, then you can address this when you have to face the minister, which you will inevitably have to do.

You can expect that your efforts to persuade the church leadership, will be rebuffed, but it is not futile, as you will probably have your wife with you, when you interact with them, and she can see for herself how you are able to refute the lies, and quote Scriptures that the men in your church's ministerial staff, have never read. Another thing you will be able to do, is you will be able to sit down and have lunch or dinner with your fellow church-goers, and present the arguments that you have familiarized yourself with. I would strongly encourage you to do so with as many men in your church as you have opportunity to do so, because when your church enacts "discipline" on you, which is inevitable, you can have plenty in the church, who will have your back. The church may think that the leadership has the final say so, but the reality is, that the leadership is nothing without its membership. You should strive to be the most engaging and friendly person in your church, so that when the church removes you from whatever leadership position you may hold, it won't set well with the membership, and especially with those whom you have had an opportunity to persuade. You won't reach everybody, but be willing to agree to disagree, as long as they understand that removing you from their fellowship and leadership positions, is not exactly agreeing to disagree. You are going to have to have some thick skin, but you get used to it over time. I have learned to tell folks that I won't stand before them on Judgment Day, and their opinion of me or what I stand for, doesn't really matter.

Learn who in the Biblical Families community, lives near you, or somewhere in the vicinity where you reside. When you and your wife are able to develop a close friendship with like-minded people, it will make the likelihood of getting her on board, much greater. Hold fast to her patiently, because if God is in this, He will work things out. You are in for the ride of your life, and I am saying this, without having gone to the next step, by having a second wife. The only experience I can speak from personally, is getting my wife to accept polygamy. Those who have a second wife, will tell you that you are in for an even bumpier ride, once you reach that step. Hold on tight, and enjoy the ride! We look forward to hearing feedback from you on how things are progressing.

All good advice from @Daniel DeLuca but just remember, all the perfectly correct logical arguments in the world won't convince your wife. For her it is an emotional issue, his first paragraph nails the feelings she'll feel.

This is why it is so important to be the strong leader of your family. At the end of the day, she has to feel the desire to follow you more than she feels the desire to have you to herself and have the image/ social approval as a monogamous wife.

It is better if your marriage is on very sound, patriarchal ground, before you bring this up.

And to be clear, this isn't just 'me the boss' kind of thing. But neither is it the so-called "servant leadership". Do you pattern Christ in your life, do you represent a convicting example of self sacrificial leadership to her? Does she look to YOU as her spiritual leader, or to others? Before try leading her towards what looks to all the world like a cliff, make sure it's actually you she's following and not pastor/teacher/family/society.

All good advice from @Daniel DeLuca but just remember, all the perfectly correct logical arguments in the world won't convince your wife. For her it is an emotional issue, his first paragraph nails the feelings she'll feel.
This is very true. As men, we have a firm grasp on logic, but for women, emotions often trump logic. In fact, your wife will presume your motive is to have more sex, and she will assume that there is something wrong with that. The purpose of getting to the point where you can present sound arguments for your position, is not so much to persuade your wife to get on board. For that, you will need solid Biblical Families friends to build a relationship with her. The reason you want to be able to present your arguments cleanly and concisely, is to give your marriage a chance for that to take place, because if your wife thinks that you are in error Biblically, if she thinks that you have embraced some sort of strange cult, she will be more inclined to end the marriage, and nobody wants to see that happen.

Thank you everyone who has responded so far!! All great advice. Yes, I'm really gonna have to immerse myself in the scriptures on this issue as well as check out the resources you mentioned. It's great to know there are those of you here who I can confide in and ask questions. Thanks for your encouragement!!

The reason you want to be able to present your arguments cleanly and concisely, is to give your marriage a chance for that to take place, because if your wife thinks that you are in error Biblically, if she thinks that you have embraced some sort of strange cult, she will be more inclined to end the marriage, and nobody wants to see that happen.

For sure. It won't help your situation any if she think's your move is ill-thought out or illogical. Some men just tend to forget the playing field is an emotional, not logical one.

In fact, your wife will presume your motive is to have more sex, and she will assume that there is something wrong with that.

That's the kind of situation where if she think's that then she'd have to know you feel you're not getting enough sex; i.e. a place where the man is subject to the woman on the matter of sex. Ignoring exceptions, usually related to health. That's what I'd call a 'bad' reason for poly (vis a vi the OP). Not that there is anything wrong with getting married for sex; that's righteous. Or even mismatched libedo's; that's normal. It's that you have a situation where the marriage is lacking and are trying to fix that with another woman. Bad move. Fix your marriage first so you have a solid foundation to build on.

It's better to lead the marriage and have a mutual commitment to satisfy each other. Then if there is a disjoint in sexual desire it goes from, "He just wants more sex." to "I need a tag team buddy to keep up with him in bed." It'll also help her to know deep down she won't be shunted aside in favor of the new girl.

There will of course be other emotional issues related to sex that will come up instead.

Lots of wonderful advice above!

Welcome, @Reuben.

Welcome! I am very glad you found us and I hope we can be a blessing to you are your family.

The more your wife trusts that you have a genuine relationship with God and that you are the spiritual leader of the family and are genuinly doing your best to follow God and lead your family in his righteousness the better off that you will be.

Shalom

Sound advise above. Just don't tune it out while going hog wild making plans for it while you're the only one on board.

Thanks for the advice. I've been watching and reading a lot online. Do you guys think Mark Henkel's (or is it "Fenkel??) material is good stuff? I found him online. Another question...When talking to my wife about this issue, one question I anticipate she nay ask me is, "How would you feel if I said I wanted a second husband?" I'm not sure she would even ask a question like this nor desire such a situation, but I'm trying to think how I would respond. Does scripture make it clear that it is okay for a man to have more than one wife, but not a wife to have more than one man (husband)? Part of why I ask this is because I want to be sure I am not being unreasonable or hypocritical to say it's okay for a me (a man) to have more than one wife (according to scripture), but NOT okay for a wife to have more than one man. I also know that I would not approve of her having a second husband--does that mean I'm inconsistent and/or a hypocrite? Any thoughts??

Thanks for the advice. I've been watching and reading a lot online. Do you guys think Mark Henkel's (or is it "Fenkel??) material is good stuff? I found him online. Another question...When talking to my wife about this issue, one question I anticipate she nay ask me is, "How would you feel if I said I wanted a second husband?" I'm not sure she would even ask a question like this nor desire such a situation, but I'm trying to think how I would respond. Does scripture make it clear that it is okay for a man to have more than one wife, but not a wife to have more than one man (husband)? Part of why I ask this is because I want to be sure I am not being unreasonable or hypocritical to say it's okay for a me (a man) to have more than one wife (according to scripture), but NOT okay for a wife to have more than one man. I also know that I would not approve of her having a second husband--does that mean I'm inconsistent and/or a hypocrite? Any thoughts??
Henkel is very limited. I got an intro to poly through Henkel, but he doesn't cover much ground that the anti-polys have not come up with a response for. I recommend Dr. William Luck. I haven't found any refutation of his defense of polygamy.

It doesn't matter how you feel about her having a second husband. If you wanted to take the easiest route, you could easily tell her, "Sure! Go ahead!", but since we want to follow Scripture, we know that her having a second husband, is adultery. It would be so much easier to get her on board with polygamy, if you could just have an open marriage, but that would be dishonoring to God and His Word. I don't think any of us would be surprised if your wife were to ask you this question, either. It is a typical, knee jerk response, but the reality is, your wife doesn't really want a second husband, and the only reason she would ask this, is because she will want you to experience the jealousy that she will feel. This form of jealousy, is an act of the sinful nature, as spelled out in Galatians 5, as it is not godly jealousy, but rather self-centered jealousy.

Of course your wife will want to make it look like you are being hypocritical, but the fact is, men and women are different, and that is by design. Women are to submit to their husbands in everything, and men are to lay down their lives for their wives. It is easy to look at the requirements that God has laid out for men and women, and only see the "goodies" that the men get, and ignore the sacrificial aspect involved. You should not approve of your wife having a second husband, whether that is something you would be OK with or not, simply because Scripture has clearly said that this is adultery, and the Common Objections page here at biblicalfamilies.org, spells that out.

Does scripture make it clear that it is okay for a man to have more than one wife, but not a wife to have more than one man (husband)?
Yes! Absolutely clear. The sin of adultery is predicated upon the marital status of the woman.
Lev. 20:10 ‘The man who commits adultery with another man’s wife, he who commits adultery with his neighbor’s wife, the adulterer and the adulteress, shall surely be put to death.
An example to point her to in Scripture is the sin of adultery of David with Bathsheba. Note that David was not sinning for already having many other wives of his own. Read 2 Samuel 11 & 12. Shalom

"How would you feel if I said I wanted a second husband?"

It's a good segway to talking about how the scriptures do not have an equality mindset. Men and women have different roles and rules. Also...

"No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other."

Also why poly only really works with patriarchy.

Back