• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

General Brand New and Trying to Make Up my mind

Hello,
I'm brand new to this site and only discovered it because I have been researching this topic for several months now because I have been feeling compelled to have a second wife, but I did not know if my feelings were Biblical or sinful. I love my first wife and my existing children, but I still want more children and help for my first wife as well. I'm just not really sure what the "right" reasons are for having a second wife??? Is there a "right" or "wrong" reason (or feelings/desires) to seek a second wife? If so, what are they? I haven't even talked to my wife about this yet so I don't know how she would respond. I'm trying to figure it out as I go. Thanks for any insights or support!! Glad I found this site!!!
As a wife, I'd say, let her read this post you wrote. You just honored her publicly, declared your love for her and your children together publicly, and gave unselfish reasons for expanding your family, not replacing them, and those reasons would benefit her, and not hurt her. What woman would not have her heart melted and softened by hearing her husband say that publicly? It would do her good to hear what folks have to say on this site, to hear about the blessings of plural wives, rather than all the negative noise society puts out there about it. Women freak out at the thought of another woman in her man's life because she automatically goes to "I'm not good enough and he wants to replace me with someone he thinks is better." That's how you would feel, I think is your intuition and that nagging feeling that you're being hypocritical. However, man and wife is a picture of Our Heavenly Husband and His bride. He has many brides, He's jealous and does not want us chasing after other gods/husbands. We're not supposed to be jealous of our Heavenly Husband's many wives. We understand we're not supposed to look at our fellow Christians and be jealous thinking they are holier than us and be jealous of their relationship with our Heavenly Husband, His Word tells us we all are loved by Him, we all are invited to dwell with Him, have children with Him (spiritual children), intimacy with Him, receive gifts from Him, etc...so us earthly wives need to understand the same about our physical marriages, that it is possible for a man to love, care for, honor, and appreciate more than one wife. Let your wife know she's not going to be kicked to the curb, that her children will not be without a father or an inheritance, that you will not treat her any differently than if you were to not take another wife. In fact, it may do you good in finding another wife, if you lavish some extra love on her to convince her and maybe your next wife that you are a faithful husband who keeps his promises. I always heard you know a good husband by the way he treats his mom and his sister. I'd say, you know a good husband by the way he treats his first wife. ;)

Another female perspective here. I've wrote on this site a few times being pretty new myself. On different topics. One or 2 being jealousy. Husband and I have been talking Poly "jokingly" for a couple years. This year, 2020 he let me know it's REALLY what he wanted. Worst day of my life. I'd rather have died that day. Going from, fantasy help around the house, to in my face reality truly hit me, HARD. Let's just say I have good days and not so good days with my swaying emotions. I come to the understanding that this isn't sin and my husbands wants are his choice because during the "fantasy help meet days" is when we would learn as to why it was this way in Biblical times and how this can be beneficial to the days now. But just because I know that and I dig deeper does not mean I am free and clear from my jealousy. Cause they are so real. This may sting but I am actually surprised at my willingness to stay. But it's all God and how much I love my husband. I am almost 40 and have never been face to face with this thought or idea til just these recent years. Grew up with major mother father abandonment issues and abuse. 1st marriage I was cheated on multiple times and now 2nd husband wants another wife. Yeah. I feel abandoned again. I know it's not true. But the root of my problem is pretty thick. So because I want very much to see the beauty in this cause IT IS beautiful, but it's because again I started learning, taking in little bites during the fantasy years and I want to be the submissive wife cause life is just so much better that way, I have personally started journaling my day to day. All my feeling are written down and I give it to God. I also read Gods word with a loving heart and pray A LOT!!! Boy do I pray! And listen to self help books during the day to teach me that only Gods love is enough to fill me each day. I also go to counseling to deal with past issues. All this to prepare myself mentally due to my jealousy. And my jealousy isn't much about the sex or the other woman really. It's the more intimate part. How can he be IN LOVE with her? I've been his everything for 10 years and now am walking through the hottest fire and preparing MYSELF so that HE can love another. Ouch! This is where the rubber meets the road for me.
But I'll tell ya. My best days, my head clear days, my God centered days, to the mere thought of a 2nd wife, comes when my husband loves me unconditionally and is patient with me, answers my 100 times already asked questions of why, me crying on him, me still not understanding 100% and then in turn him letting me know he still loves me for me. Not setting me aside. But that he still needs me and that he can't see a 2nd wife if it weren't for ME being all he needs in me. This makes me feel pretty special and important. Things just work out better for my spiritual and mental clarity this way. I don't think he would mind me saying this as we are all here to help each other. But We have days he is not so patient and says, "again? What is it this time? You sure you're ok? What's that look for? This is getting old." All these do not grab a womans heart. Lol. If your wife can do ALL that she knows to do for you in this journey the best thing for her to have, is a clear thought processes. LOVE her and let her know she will always be loved daily even when it's hard to love her. She will come around. Because showing Christs love is like gorilla glue. (In that single moment anyway. Lol) sigh... Sorry we are so emotionally charged beings. I sooooo wish I could find my off switch and break it. My post either scared the crap outta you and you are checking out of this group or made you see an extreme case but the wife (me) is here doing all she can to be the best she can be for her man.

Thanks Jessie!!
No, it totally did not scare me away and is SUPER helpful and I love your honesty!!! I feel like your situation is very much like our own and a lot of similarities on both sides. Like you, my wife suffered abuse an abandonment issues from her childhood. Her uncle sexually abused her and her mother left her as a little girl as the oldest of 7 children and she was the only girl. Her all-male younger siblings essentially became her "children" to care for so she had to "grow up" quick at a very young age and form a very unhealthy relationship with her father that made it very difficult for her to break-away and commit to me in our marriage. It was almost like her father was viewed by her as her "previous spouse," but not in a "sexual" way. Because the two of them were essentially raising all the boys together, she was not only forced into a "motherly" role, but a "parental" role with her father. When we married, I didn't realize at the time how much all of this would affect our marriage. Any time a problem between the two of us came up, it was off to her daddy to complain, and then it was me against the two of them. Eventually, I just had to tell her that she needed to decide--me or daddy? Additionally, the lack of a female "mother" figure growing up and an inexperience to "be a child" (experience childhood) led to additional problems where she acted out for a time in our marriage and just "went wild." She just went off the deep end and she ended up having an affair. I was so devastated and hurt (not to mention--lost all my trust in her) that it has been years of us trying to restore what was broken. Although it would have been easy to walk away, we have continued to work on fixing our marriage and keeping our family of 7 great children together (we're both in our early 40's). Our goal had been not only to restore what we once had, but make it BETTER. I must admit that she has worked really hard on herself and her walk with God. She also works really hard to sustain and keep our marriage getting better. Part of my concern in relaying my desire for a second wife to her is: I don't want her to think that I'm only looking for a second wife because I no longer trust or am interested in her. That's not really it. A huge part of my motivation has actually been because I think it could potentially be helpful for both of us for a few reasons (although that's why this site and dialog have been helpful because I'm trying to get feedback to examine my motives and make sure they're not sinful): 1. A helper for my wife and "sister" that she never had growing up. My wife is always talking about how she wishes she had more female friends or a sister. I've always wanted someone like that for her. Someone who not only spends time with her each day and she can talk to, but they can share clothes, do each other's hair, help with the children, etc. 2. I really want more children, but my wife is just physically not able to anymore (peri-menopause). She'd like more young children too, but she is afraid that she would not be able to have another healthy baby with all that she has going on with her health and overall energy levels after having had 7 children already and working full-time with me in our family-run business. Another wife who wants to add to our growing family would be awesome. 3. Sexual activity of men versus women. I don't want to stereotype, but I know that I (as a man) would prefer sexual activity A LOT more often than my wife would. This puts strain on both of us because my wife often doesn't feel physically up to it (especially with all her physical health issues going on--she also has symptoms from her lyme disease) and I feel bad pressuring her in any way. If I leave it up to her and when she "feels like it" (which is what I do right now), we may have sex less than 1-2Xs a month. For her, that's plenty. For me, I would prefer at least that much EACH WEEK! The issue is that I find a lack of physical intimacy somehow makes me not only more tense and uptight with her, but resentful. But a large part of my resent would often come from the fact that I always thought my desire for more or with someone else was "sinful"--because I was always brought up that marriage (and subsequently sexual activity) was only supposed to be between one man and one woman. The idea that a man's sexual activity/desire is not really meant to match a woman's was something I've always known from a "biological" and "experiential" perspective, but I had always wrestled with this desire as me somehow being sinful. I had never really thought that maybe a big part of why a man's desire is different from a woman's is because God made them that way and that plural marriage is okay with God. Additionally, as part of the jealously thing you mentioned, I totally understand that because like I said, I'd be jealous if my wife said she wanted a second husband. In fact, I'd be downright angry and refuse. I'd more than likely want to divorce her! So, the idea that she'd feel jealousy too, is completely natural (especially given our cultural upbringing and past experiences). When I think about jealousy, however, I'm reminded of the difference in scripture concerning God's "righteous" jealousy versus sinful jealousy. How one is directed toward something we SHOULD covet--relationship with God versus toward something we SHOULDN'T. Additionally (though not exactly the same) I think about how is it possible for God to love us ALL equally--or does He love some moreso than others? I don't think that's how God loves. With my own children, I love them ALL unconditionally, but each child I love in a unique way:)

Thanks for the advice. I've been watching and reading a lot online. Do you guys think Mark Henkel's (or is it "Fenkel??) material is good stuff? I found him online.

Generally he knows his stuff and his material is good, but he always seems very self serving to me. He has sort of decided to appointed himself the leader which I think turns off a lot of people. He might be more effective if he were a team player.

Another question...When talking to my wife about this issue, one question I anticipate she nay ask me is, "How would you feel if I said I wanted a second husband?" I'm not sure she would even ask a question like this nor desire such a situation, but I'm trying to think how I would respond. Does scripture make it clear that it is okay for a man to have more than one wife, but not a wife to have more than one man (husband)? Part of why I ask this is because I want to be sure I am not being unreasonable or hypocritical to say it's okay for a me (a man) to have more than one wife (according to scripture), but NOT okay for a wife to have more than one man. I also know that I would not approve of her having a second husband--does that mean I'm inconsistent and/or a hypocrite? Any thoughts??

It is funny women always counter with this when few of them would really want a second husband.

Yes, scripture prohibits a woman from having a second husband. A woman having more than one man is adultery. She can not have a second man, unless the first one is dead. See (Romans 7:2 and 1 Cor 7:39) and notice that this is specific to the wife, and there are no parallel verses for husbands.

P.S. These verses are also a good place to argue that the NT still supports polygamy.

Thanks Jessie!!
No, it totally did not scare me away and is SUPER helpful and I love your honesty!!! I feel like your situation is very much like our own and a lot of similarities on both sides. Like you, my wife suffered abuse an abandonment issues from her childhood. Her uncle sexually abused her and her mother left her as a little girl as the oldest of 7 children and she was the only girl. Her all-male younger siblings essentially became her "children" to care for so she had to "grow up" quick at a very young age and form a very unhealthy relationship with her father that made it very difficult for her to break-away and commit to me in our marriage. It was almost like her father was viewed by her as her "previous spouse," but not in a "sexual" way. Because the two of them were essentially raising all the boys together, she was not only forced into a "motherly" role, but a "parental" role with her father. When we married, I didn't realize at the time how much all of this would affect our marriage. Any time a problem between the two of us came up, it was off to her daddy to complain, and then it was me against the two of them. Eventually, I just had to tell her that she needed to decide--me or daddy? Additionally, the lack of a female "mother" figure growing up and an inexperience to "be a child" (experience childhood) led to additional problems where she acted out for a time in our marriage and just "went wild." She just went off the deep end and she ended up having an affair. I was so devastated and hurt (not to mention--lost all my trust in her) that it has been years of us trying to restore what was broken. Although it would have been easy to walk away, we have continued to work on fixing our marriage and keeping our family of 7 great children together (we're both in our early 40's). Our goal had been not only to restore what we once had, but make it BETTER. I must admit that she has worked really hard on herself and her walk with God. She also works really hard to sustain and keep our marriage getting better. Part of my concern in relaying my desire for a second wife to her is: I don't want her to think that I'm only looking for a second wife because I no longer trust or am interested in her. That's not really it. A huge part of my motivation has actually been because I think it could potentially be helpful for both of us for a few reasons (although that's why this site and dialog have been helpful because I'm trying to get feedback to examine my motives and make sure they're not sinful): 1. A helper for my wife and "sister" that she never had growing up. My wife is always talking about how she wishes she had more female friends or a sister. I've always wanted someone like that for her. Someone who not only spends time with her each day and she can talk to, but they can share clothes, do each other's hair, help with the children, etc. 2. I really want more children, but my wife is just physically not able to anymore (peri-menopause). She'd like more young children too, but she is afraid that she would not be able to have another healthy baby with all that she has going on with her health and overall energy levels after having had 7 children already and working full-time with me in our family-run business. Another wife who wants to add to our growing family would be awesome. 3. Sexual activity of men versus women. I don't want to stereotype, but I know that I (as a man) would prefer sexual activity A LOT more often than my wife would. This puts strain on both of us because my wife often doesn't feel physically up to it (especially with all her physical health issues going on--she also has symptoms from her lyme disease) and I feel bad pressuring her in any way. If I leave it up to her and when she "feels like it" (which is what I do right now), we may have sex less than 1-2Xs a month. For her, that's plenty. For me, I would prefer at least that much EACH WEEK! The issue is that I find a lack of physical intimacy somehow makes me not only more tense and uptight with her, but resentful. But a large part of my resent would often come from the fact that I always thought my desire for more or with someone else was "sinful"--because I was always brought up that marriage (and subsequently sexual activity) was only supposed to be between one man and one woman. The idea that a man's sexual activity/desire is not really meant to match a woman's was something I've always known from a "biological" and "experiential" perspective, but I had always wrestled with this desire as me somehow being sinful. I had never really thought that maybe a big part of why a man's desire is different from a woman's is because God made them that way and that plural marriage is okay with God. Additionally, as part of the jealously thing you mentioned, I totally understand that because like I said, I'd be jealous if my wife said she wanted a second husband. In fact, I'd be downright angry and refuse. I'd more than likely want to divorce her! So, the idea that she'd feel jealousy too, is completely natural (especially given our cultural upbringing and past experiences). When I think about jealousy, however, I'm reminded of the difference in scripture concerning God's "righteous" jealousy versus sinful jealousy. How one is directed toward something we SHOULD covet--relationship with God versus toward something we SHOULDN'T. Additionally (though not exactly the same) I think about how is it possible for God to love us ALL equally--or does He love some moreso than others? I don't think that's how God loves. With my own children, I love them ALL unconditionally, but each child I love in a unique way:)

Allow me to introduce you to Patriarchy and the Red-Pill movement. Or perhaps @eye4them should due the honors, since I found it from one of his posts. Your wife has the responsibility to meet your sexual needs. Paul emphasized this in I Cor 7, because of the temptation to commit fornication. As long as she is your only wife, she needs to submit to you in everything. How is it coming when it comes to finding other believers in your vicinity, who embrace PM? You might want to become friends with them, BEFORE you introduce this idea to your wife, rather than after her suspicions are raised.

I honestly don't know anyone in my area who practices or is familiar with PM because this is all very new to me. Despite growing up in the church and even going to Bible school, it's so amazing to me how obvious it is in scripture that PM is part of God's plan and yet I was always taught just the opposite!! At first, when reading and studying the topic, I thought pro-PM arguments would be really far-reaching and "stretched." Shockingly, however, when listening to the good debates, I was amazed to discover it's exactly the opposite!! There really are no great anti-PM arguments. This still blows my mind!

I honestly don't know anyone in my area who practices or is familiar with PM because this is all very new to me. Despite growing up in the church and even going to Bible school, it's so amazing to me how obvious it is in scripture that PM is part of God's plan and yet I was always taught just the opposite!! At first, when reading and studying the topic, I thought pro-PM arguments would be really far-reaching and "stretched." Shockingly, however, when listening to the good debates, I was amazed to discover it's exactly the opposite!! There really are no great anti-PM arguments. This still blows my mind!
Welcome to the forum and I agree 100% with your comments about there being no great anti-PM arguments in the Bible. It's quite a big surprise to most westerners to come to that realization. The next challenge is getting others who claim to be Christians to accept what is so very obvious to those of us who now read with our eyes open. However, even those who will acknowledge that PM is not condemned in the Bible will still find excuses for rejecting it - mostly from an emotional foundation. The key is to keep people in the biblical texts that are contextually relevant and not be drawn out into arguing from their unbiblical biases. Shalom

Welcome to the forum and I agree 100% with your comments about there being no great anti-PM arguments in the Bible. It's quite a big surprise to most westerners to come to that realization. The next challenge is getting others who claim to be Christians to accept what is so very obvious to those of us who now read with our eyes open. However, even those who will acknowledge that PM is not condemned in the Bible will still find excuses for rejecting it - mostly from an emotional foundation. The key is to keep people in the biblical texts that are contextually relevant and not be drawn out into arguing from their unbiblical biases. Shalom
Agreed. It's usually one big eisigesis lie after another.

Without giving away any further details, I can see that you live in the Northeast. I know there is a minister at Way Biblical Church who is on FB, who is pro PM. I don't remember his name right off hand. He is a member of one or more pro poly FB groups. It shouldn't be hard to find him. Perhaps he is a member here as well. Good luck!

Despite growing up in the church and even going to Bible school, it's so amazing to me how obvious it is in scripture that PM is part of God's plan and yet I was always taught just the opposite!! At first, when reading and studying the topic, I thought pro-PM arguments would be really far-reaching and "stretched." Shockingly, however, when listening to the good debates, I was amazed to discover it's exactly the opposite!! There really are no great anti-PM arguments. This still blows my mind!
I remember when that realization struck me three and a half years ago. I remember it like it was just yesterday! I love posts like this, because it just goes to show that online debate/outreach really does work! It won't reach everyone, but it is quite effective for those who are straddling the fence, and even for many who are on the other side of the fence. Now its just a matter of carefully navigating this with your wife, so that she can join us. :)

Yes, I'm really gonna have to immerse myself in the scriptures on this issue as well as check out the resources you mentioned.

My wife hated it that I spent months deep diving into scripture without her. She felt alienated. And she felt like I was coming on super strong because I was convinced I was “right” and that it wasn’t a sin. She said this made it hard to talk about because I was so technically strong on it, it was intimidating to talk about it with me.

All that to say, of course study is good, but beware your reasons for it. Mine seemed noble at the time, but mostly I wasn’t brave enough to talk to my wife before I studied it, so I could be sure I was “right.” I was deathly afraid of being “wrong”’and not being able to answer questions like, “Why are you interested in poly?” “Isn’t poly wrong?” I was afraid to say, “I don’t know, let’s study it together.”

I’m not suggesting you go tell all your closest friends and your wife you’re interested in this today (because that often goes badly actually). I’m just sharing my story in case it helps.

As a wife, I'd say, let her read this post you wrote. You just honored her publicly, declared your love for her and your children together publicly, and gave unselfish reasons for expanding your family, not replacing them, and those reasons would benefit her, and not hurt her. What woman would not have her heart melted and softened by hearing her husband say that publicly? It would do her good to hear what folks have to say on this site, to hear about the blessings of plural wives, rather than all the negative noise society puts out there about it. Women freak out at the thought of another woman in her man's life because she automatically goes to "I'm not good enough and he wants to replace me with someone he thinks is better." That's how you would feel, I think is your intuition and that nagging feeling that you're being hypocritical. However, man and wife is a picture of Our Heavenly Husband and His bride. He has many brides, He's jealous and does not want us chasing after other gods/husbands. We're not supposed to be jealous of our Heavenly Husband's many wives. We understand we're not supposed to look at our fellow Christians and be jealous thinking they are holier than us and be jealous of their relationship with our Heavenly Husband, His Word tells us we all are loved by Him, we all are invited to dwell with Him, have children with Him (spiritual children), intimacy with Him, receive gifts from Him, etc...so us earthly wives need to understand the same about our physical marriages, that it is possible for a man to love, care for, honor, and appreciate more than one wife. Let your wife know she's not going to be kicked to the curb, that her children will not be without a father or an inheritance, that you will not treat her any differently than if you were to not take another wife. In fact, it may do you good in finding another wife, if you lavish some extra love on her to convince her and maybe your next wife that you are a faithful husband who keeps his promises. I always heard you know a good husband by the way he treats his mom and his sister. I'd say, you know a good husband by the way he treats his first wife. ;)

Where's that LOVE button when you need it anyway??!

Rejoice! Your eyes have been opened to the truth. Keep studying your Bible, you'll find what you said is true about a lot of things.

My wife hated it that I spent months deep diving into scripture without her. She felt alienated. And she felt like I was coming on super strong because I was convinced I was “right” and that it wasn’t a sin. She said this made it hard to talk about because I was so technically strong on it, it was intimidating to talk about it with me.

All that to say, of course study is good, but beware your reasons for it. Mine seemed noble at the time, but mostly I wasn’t brave enough to talk to my wife before I studied it, so I could be sure I was “right.” I was deathly afraid of being “wrong”’and not being able to answer questions like, “Why are you interested in poly?” “Isn’t poly wrong?” I was afraid to say, “I don’t know, let’s study it together.”

I had almost the exact same experience. To use a common analogy, it's like tossing a frog into boiling water instead of slowly warming it up. It will be quite a reaction.

I had almost the exact same experience. To use a common analogy, it's like tossing a frog into boiling water instead of slowly warming it up. It will be quite a reaction.
Now of course, if you can get her hooked on the show "Sister Wives", it will be more like slowly turning up the heat. :p

Same! :)

Back